Villa Build Up Thread

saints_is_the_south

He hasn't been injured for a long time, he has been in the training videos for the last 3 games along with Boruc, Davis and Stannard.

Boruc and Davis just being picked ahead of him atm.

Yeah. Davis is the best one of the three to have as the backup in both lockerroom and on the bench if he is not selected to play.

A true professional that think team first. I dont think Gazza on the bench would give the players around him any impact at all, Davis does.

Davis will be in all match day squads unless he's injured.

It happened when Boruc was first introduced to the team for the West Ham game. Gazza went straight from the starting team to the stand. He then came straight back down to the pitch as well. The games where Davis was in goal and Gazza wasn't in at all represented the duration of his injury (i.e. he's been back for 2 weeks).

Yeah. Davis is the best one of the three to have as the backup in both lockerroom and on the bench if he is not selected to play.

A true professional that think team first. I dont think Gazza on the bench would give the players around him any impact at all, Davis does.

Gazzaniga has still travelled with the squad for today's game and will be in the dressing room, we don't just take 18 players to games.

[video=youtube;8Ni-XZYkNHE]

I simply cannot believe that we persist with De Ridder!

Highlights the lack of quality in our squad because we have nobody better unbelievably.

If Lallana wasn't injured, Guly wasn't ill and Mayuka wasn't at the African Cup of Nations - then De Ridder wouldn't be on the bench.

De Ridder also isn't as bad as some make out, I still think there is a good player in him struggling to get out. He does have a lot of good attributes, problem is his decision making and final ball aren't great.

Gazzaniga has still travelled with the squad for today's game and will be in the dressing room, we don't just take 18 players to games.

[video=youtube;8Ni-XZYkNHE]

Of course, but he is not allowed in the room in halftime for example, if I know the rules correctly.

And as someone else said, Davis will always be on the team-sheet whether it´s playing or being the backup due to his professional attitude in the team.

Seabrone and SDR yes, but the rest aren't too bad. JWP and Lee have something to offer anyway, and Davis has enough experience.

Agree. Nothing wrong with JWP or S Davis and I think Tadanari will come good when he get a run of games.

Shame that Guly is only missing out through illness because I thought he was woeful against Chelsea and didn't deserve to be picked on skill/form alone.

Just watched Mayuaka in Zambia v Norway warm up for the african nations and he looked very very rusty so don't think we would miss too much today, is to be expected though.

He came off after 45mins but Zambia held them to 0-0 which wasn't too bad considering Norway beat South Africa 1-0 last week.

Agree. Nothing wrong with JWP or S Davis and I think Tadanari will come good when he get a run of games.

Shame that Guly is only missing out through illness because I thought he was woeful against Chelsea and didn't deserve to be picked on skill/form alone.

No attacking players that are good enough to change the game.

Lol! Lee will come good but Guly has been woeful?? Talk about blind hatred!!

De Ridder was excellent against Sunderland. Erratic as ever, but actually carried more threat than anyone else on the pitch.

I must have been watching a different game. The de Ridder I saw was lively without really producing anything of note other than a well taken corner (which tbf Fonte should have scored from).

Just watched Mayuaka in Zambia v Norway warm up for the african nations and he looked very very rusty so don't think we would miss too much today, is to be expected though.

He came off after 45mins but Zambia held them to 0-0 which wasn't too bad considering Norway beat South Africa 1-0 last week.

Mayuka wouldn't have been an option for today anyway, he's not played on the left for us at all and has been left on the bench before when de Ridder has played LM.

Lol! Lee will come good but Guly has been woeful?? Talk about blind hatred!!

Actually not at all.

I don't mind Guly but thought he was particularly poor against Chelsea. In my opinion (which is as valid as yours) the game passed him by.

Lee when he has played more than 10 minute has been good (again in my opinion).

Blind hatred my friend is something I'm pleased to say I've never suffered from. Suspect I'm being judged by your own standards.

Actually not at all.

I don't mind Guly but thought he was particularly poor against Chelsea. In my opinion (which is as valid as yours) the game passed him by.

Lee when he has played more than 10 minute has been good (again in my opinion).

Blind hatred my friend is something I'm pleased to say I've never suffered from. Suspect I'm being judged by your own standards.

Not sure anyone came away from the Chelsea battering with any credance TBH

They are just another level

Good point but I will follow his progress through the afcon to see exactly how he plays as Zambia look like they set up to feed him as a the lone striker.

Could be a great opportunity for SFC if he gets some proper game time and gets some match sharpness so that he comes back to us as more of a genuine option.

No attacking players that are good enough to change the game.

Gambling on starting RL/JR/GR that we won't need a game changer? Missing AL Gully and to a lesser extent Myuka is bound to stretch us. Don't seew hy everybody is writing off Lee without any sort of a chance though? Quite capable of getting a goal against this Villa side. Hopefully it won't come to that, a nice 0-3 RL pen, JR, GR will do nicely!

Big game for Boruc today with a couple of changes in his back 4.

Of course, but he is not allowed in the room in halftime for example, if I know the rules correctly.

And as someone else said, Davis will always be on the team-sheet whether it´s playing or being the backup due to his professional attitude in the team.

He wasnt that professional when he was blasting balls at the women and kids in the family stand a couple of games ago.

Got a good feeling about today.

I predict 1-3 to the mighty Saints, Villa booed off at the end and then Randy will issue a vote of confidence in his manager (who he'll then sack when they lose the second leg of the Capital One Cup semi to Bradford 0-2)

(and while I'm making predictions, I think pompey won't lose today ;) )