Villa Build Up Thread

saints_is_the_south

I know Chelsea comes first but I feel this game is of such massive proportions that it warrants a build up thread already.

Firstly, if we don't sell this out then there is something very wrong with our support. Biggest game of the season by a long long way. It is huge.

Carry on like we have in the past 3 games (and 2 months overall) and I think we'll win.

Boruc

Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Shaw

Cork, Schneiderlin

Puncheon, Ramirez, Guly/Lallana

Lambert

Harsh on Steven Davis who, from what I hear, had a good game today, but reassuring that we've now got a stable starting 11 that more or less picks itself when everyone is fit.

Edit: I am of course assuming we haven't spent another c.£15m before the Villa game... :)

(Even if we have, it would be harsh to leave out any of the above, Boruc excepted perhaps...)

Edited by trousers

Play like we have done for the last 3 and we should bang two or three past them.

Trousers with the right starting line up provided fitness isn't a problem, other wise the Arsenal line up will be fine. Would like to see Steven Davis nock a few past one of his old clubs but right now not the most important consideration.

Don't think much of Villa, just need to remember to keep Heskey no.2 and Wiemann out the game and they will fold like a deck of cards. (also this is way more exciting than the FA cup this year)

Firstly, if we don't sell this out then there is something very wrong with our support. Biggest game of the season by a long long way. It is huge. .

Whatever number we take, add two more, as the lad and I will be in the sky lounge (corporate hostility) for this one. Bring it on

Just attack their back 4, run at them, move them all over the place and the goals will flow. And based on what we've done to every side this season, that shouldn't be a problem. Without Vlarr, Dunne etc, they are absolutely hopeless at the back and that won't change - the players at the back just aren't PL level players, never will be.

Just need to stand up against Benteke, but they're missing experience all over the shop. They also have a tricky tie away at Bradford on the Tuesday before they play us.

You quite often get an ''established side'' that gets dragged into a relegation fight, and more often than not falls through the door. Newcastle, Blackburn, Bolton etc spring to mind in recent years.

I say 'established' is more than 25 continuous years in the top flight. By that reasoning Villa are established, but I think Cov (and us) are the only ones recently!

So Man City not an established Prem side? Okaaaay.

It's four or five seasons to be "established" so Fulham/Stoke and now the likes of Sunderland and WBA. I suppose you include Wigan but they are in the bottom five every year so are never really safe.

I don't think established is as much about the time you spend in the league but your quality, i.e. to be established you have to have players who are capable of a mid table finish not ones who are down in the bottom 6 every season - i.e. WBA are established while Wigan definitely are not. - If Swansea keep achieve a decent position this season, add a few quality players then next season i'd probably count them as being established...

I know Chelsea comes first but I feel this game is of such massive proportions that it warrants a build up thread already.

Firstly, if we don't sell this out then there is something very wrong with our support. Biggest game of the season by a long long way. It is huge.

Carry on like we have in the past 3 games (and 2 months overall) and I think we'll win.

We dont need to play the first team here, Villa is more important; would be good to give Boruc a run out and it could be a game for Lallana and Clyne maybe as they return for Villa hopefully

Boruc

Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Shaw

Cork, Schneiderlin

Puncheon, Ramirez, Guly/Lallana

Lambert

Harsh on Steven Davis who, from what I hear, had a good game today, but reassuring that we've now got a stable starting 11 that more or less picks itself when everyone is fit.

Edit: I am of course assuming we haven't spent another c.£15m before the Villa game... :)

(Even if we have, it would be harsh to leave out any of the above, Boruc excepted perhaps...)

I don't know, I liked the way we played yesterday. Strangely enough NA turned the CM pair around again, Davis replacing Morgan and Morgan having slightly more freedom. Thought it worked pretty well that way because Morgan a weeny bit higher up shut down Arteta and Wilshere pretty effectively. He was also far too much a physical presence for Cazorla who was pretty poor, way below his usual standard.

Finally got my 6 tickets. Another home game for me!

Closest game of the season for me. Ordered my two on New Year's Eve. A nice short train journey for me rather than the five hour return drive to St Mary's! Also had an invite to go in the Villa social club before the game for a pint!

I don't know, I liked the way we played yesterday. Strangely enough NA turned the CM pair around again, Davis replacing Morgan and Morgan having slightly more freedom. Thought it worked pretty well that way because Morgan a weeny bit higher up shut down Arteta and Wilshere pretty effectively. He was also far too much a physical presence for Cazorla who was pretty poor, way below his usual standard.

Yeah I thought it worked well because a lot of Arsenal's build-up play comes through their deep lying Central midfielder (seemed to rotate who played this role between Wilshere and Arteta) who practically played between their two centre-backs. Therefore it made sense that, seeing as Morgan is the better defensive midfielder of the two, he should carry on playing that role, albeit further up the pitch. That's how I saw it anyway.

Closest game of the season for me. Ordered my two on New Year's Eve. A nice short train journey for me rather than the five hour return drive to St Mary's! Also had an invite to go in the Villa social club before the game for a pint!

Stoke was closer for me but it's just a 20min train journey into Brum so happy days and as I currently share an office with 2 villa season ticket holders bragging rights are at stake!

It's actually worse than that, word up here in Birmingham is that there is a major problem with:

A Westwood

N Baker

A Weimann

L Hendrie

B Bannan

U Ehiogu

M Albrighton

B Guzan

A Westwood

N Shorey

D Bent

I Taylor

T Daley

S Given

I am trying to book tickets online. I'm a season ticket holder(s) with 3 ST's (me and 2 boys).

I can't log on! It won't accept my login details (which worked fine eventually) for Stoke.

Whats going on? I tried the reset your password option and it said it was sending me a new password. It didn't!

I think I shall try ticket office at St Mary's in person tomorrow morning.

Have we sold out?

Will ticket office be selling AV tickets tomorrow?

Or will it be swamped with people queuing for Chelsea cup tickets?

Grrrrrrr!

This is really frustrating. Why is online ticket sales service so bad?

I am trying to book tickets online. I'm a season ticket holder(s) with 3 ST's (me and 2 boys).

I can't log on! It won't accept my login details (which worked fine eventually) for Stoke.

Whats going on? I tried the reset your password option and it said it was sending me a new password. It didn't!

I think I shall try ticket office at St Mary's in person tomorrow morning.

Have we sold out?

Grrrrrrr!

This is really frustrating. Why is online ticket sales service so bad?

booked mine online this morning. No problems. Cant be sold out , yet.

Flying over friday evening...for an exciting weekend in Brum!?!

-------------------------------Boruc--------------------------

Clyne---------------Yoshida-----------New CB----------Shaw

----------------------Cork-------------Morgan-------------

Puncheon------------------Ramirez---------------Guly

-----------------------------Lambert-----------------

Forget about today. Fonte out will be a big blow. Clyne, Gaston and Lambert back in, Cork back in the middle alongside Morgan.

---------Boruc-----------

Clyne Yoshi Hooiveld Shaw

-----Morgan--Cork-------

Punch---Gaston-----Guly

--------Lambert--------

Davis Frazer JWP J-Rod Chaplow Reeves Davis

Agree, all about staying out the bottom 3, a point is not a disaster despite what some will say. Must win is when you are points adrift.

When you see the next three teams that are coming up on the fixture list for the rest of January, the Villa game certainly looks like a must-win to me! Hard to see us getting too many other points this month!

When you see the next three teams that are coming up on the fixture list for the rest of January, the Villa game certainly looks like a must-win to me! Hard to see us getting too many other points this month!

At this stage of the season points come from the most unexpected sources.

Nice local game for me this one, unfortunately I'm in the Villa end (£20) with my villa supporting step-daughter and my best mate. They have been awful this year and have the distraction of the semi 1st leg away at Bradford mid week. I think if we can score early and get pressure on their fans will turn against them

My villa supporting mate is rubbing his hands for this game

They have players back from injury and got a good draw at Swansea (should have won), won yesterday with a 2nd 11. And notices we don't win away.

We're better than them. What's your Sunderland supporting mate had to say about this one?

-------------------------------Boruc--------------------------

Clyne---------------Yoshida-----------New CB----------Shaw

----------------------Cork-------------Morgan-------------

Puncheon------------------Ramirez---------------Guly

-----------------------------Lambert-----------------

Totally with you on this line up. If villa play 3-5-2 with the 3 young lads at the back then it be interesting to see how far up the pitch puncheon and guly play in order to support lambert.

I can see lambert giving these lads an absolute torrid time however the supply from wide areas has to be decent still.

doing better...but what has that got to do with villa being worse than us despite being above us for most of the season...?

Really, you cannot extrapolate information?

Ten games ago they were five points ahead and a better goal difference. Performances have been poor. With our difficult fixtures to the start of the season, every team was above us but that has changed.

Really, you cannot extrapolate information?

Ten games ago they were five points ahead and a better goal difference. Performances have been poor. With our difficult fixtures to the start of the season, every team was above us but that has changed.

we have all played the same teams (other that we have not played chelsea away yet)....?