Villa Build Up Thread

saints_is_the_south

Bit worried we'll concede a sloppy goal or two, but if we score first we'll win, and Villa will be way less willing and able than we are to come back from a deficit. Can see nothing but a Saints win here, hugely important we get the three points on Saturday. Clyne will still be out, so I can see Cork at RB and Davis in the centre of midfield again; Ramirez should be back and aiming to impress; awful choice in the centre of defence between Hooiveld and Seaborne really (unless you wanna put Richardson on the right and Cork/Schneiderlin in the middle!?); and we still need Lallana back, another start for Guly (been alright recently, knocking on the door). COYS really.

How do you know that, has NA been telling us porkies again ? Sorry being economical with the truth over injuries is what I should have said.

How do you know that, has NA been telling us porkies again ? Sorry being economical with the truth over injuries is what I should have said.

Yeah sorry, hadn't seen it when I posted! No point rushing him back really, but can't take the risk...

Boruc

Clyne - Cork - Yoshida - Shaw

Davis - Schneiderlin - Ramirez

Puncheon - Lambert - Guly

I have given up hoping for a 4-4-2, so I guess that'll be the lineup... Cork will probably be in midfield though, with Hooiveld at the back and Davis on the bench. If it was me I'd play Puncheon, Schneiderlin, Ramirez and Guly across the middle, then Lambs and Rod up the top.

Can't edit post apparently...

Screw what I said, apparently Clyne will be back in time for Saturday! Fantastic news, he's been a godsend this year. I'd personally leave Cork in defence though, over Hooiveld.

At centre back? No, Benteke would outmuscle him.

Hooiveld in, let him be strong in the air, allow Yoshida to use his pace to counteract any threat that could run at us. Clyne and Shaw to collect the ball and mop up after the centre backs with Schneiderlin and Cork dropping deep to support them and build from the back.

If we keep our heads we can contain them.

My team:

----------------- Boruc ---------------

Clyne --- Hooiveld ---- Yoshida -- Shaw

-------- Schneiderlin -- Cork ----------

Puncheon --------------------- Do Prado

---------------- Ramirez ---------------

---------------- Lambert ---------------

Was tempted to put Rodriguez in the team, but that would have meant either dropping Lambert or putting him on the left.

Edited by Colinjb

Bloody hell I know Villa have a reputation for pessimism but sheesh.

I like this one -

A very poor team who cannot defend nor hardly score many goals - nil

A poorish team who cannot defend but can score goals - Three (and easing up)

We have graduated to a 'poorish team'!

Boruc

Clyne Hooiveld Yoshida Shaw

Cork© Schneiderlin

Puncheon Ramirez Guly

Lambert

Bench: Gazzaniga, Martin, Fox, Davis, De Ridder, Lee, Rodriguez

I'd imagine you'll line up like that. Should have enough in you to win this one quite easily.

Thought his appearances were limited to cups now anyway as Villa wanted to avoid the next instalment payable on league fixtures to Sunderland...

It seems that way. Which is mental. He's undeniably a good finisher and being relegated would cost near on £60million. Their squad misses out on 2 things he brings which is a bit of class and some experience.

It seems that way. Which is mental. He's undeniably a good finisher and being relegated would cost near on £60million. Their squad misses out on 2 things he brings which is a bit of class and some experience.

And however bad his miss the other night, his record over the past several seasons is quality. We should bid £5m!

-------------------Boruc

Clyne-----Yoshida-----Hooibeld-----Shaw

--------------Cork-----Morgan

-----------------Ramirez

Puncheon----------------- ----------Guly

-----------------Lambert

Keep it simple here. Use the width, ball into Lambert. Their defence are all over the place and we'll get joy from this if we can get our fullbacks overlapping.

what are the percentages this season....I have no idea but seems (nearly) everytime a player is used to build up a game..he starts?

Possibly has been this season, I just remember thinking that a couple of times and that proved me wrong.

Could be

-------------Boruc-------------

Clyne Yoshida Hooiveld Shaw

---------Cork---Morgan-------

Puncheon-------------Ramirez

------------Lambert-----------

------------Rodriguez---------

Too many attacking players. Ramriez out of his best position. Doesn't make sense. Would make for a very entertaining game though.

Got to be:

----------------------BORUC-----------------------

CLYNE-------MAYA------BIG JOS-------SHAW

----------------CORK------MORGAN------------

PUNCH-----------RAMIREZ--------------GULY

---------------------LAMBERT--------------------

Subs: Davis, Richardson, Martin, JWP, S.Davis, De Ridder, Rodriguez

Got to be:

Would be surprised if it wasn't this.

Got to be:

I too would go with that unless Adkins thinks Jos is not up to it so he will put Cork at CB and Davis in the sitting midfield role.

If we attack from the off like Stoke then we should be out of reach at half time, the only worry i have is that Adkins may revert to defending football 2nd half instead of trying to smash them out of sight.

Villa are that **** at the moment and if we cant beat them then it's pathetic.

We need to be clinical and finish our chances. I think we will.

I have no problem with Jos playing in this one. I think he will dominate Benteke and will pose them a threat from set pieces. I think one of our ploys will be to win as many corners as possible - they are awful at defending them.

Cork and Morgan to boss the midfield.

If we attack from the off like Stoke then we should be out of reach at half time, the only worry i have is that Adkins may revert to defending football 2nd half instead of trying to smash them out of sight.

Villa are that **** at the moment and if we cant beat them then it's pathetic.

We didnt defend at QPR and I dont think we would at Villa. Attack is the best form of defence for us.

Totally agree with your sentiments about beating them tomorrow. The only thing going for Villa will be the fact that their fans and ours expect Saints to win and that can sometimes bring the best out in players. Fortunately I dont think even their best is good enough if we are on it.

Aston Villa FC ‏@AVFCOfficial

Darren Bent, Marc Albrighton and Chris Herd all ruled out of the Southampton game. Ron Vlaar has resumed training. #AVFC

Villa really dont want to pay that £7m to Sunderland lol He has pulled up injured in the last two league cup outings he has played in hmmmmmmmmm

A big boost for us.

Aston Villa FC ‏@AVFCOfficial

Darren Bent, Marc Albrighton and Chris Herd all ruled out of the Southampton game. Ron Vlaar has resumed training. #AVFC

Villa really dont want to pay that £7m to Sunderland lol He has pulled up injured in the last two league cup outings he has played in hmmmmmmmmm

surely Vlaar will be out tomorrow.?

Here's some Aston Villa team news from BBC Sport's Pat Murphy:

"Paul Lambert says Darren Bent's knee injury is not as bad as first feared after the Bradford match - but he won't be fit for tomorrow's match against Southampton. Nor will Marc Albrighton or Chris Herd (both foot injuries).

"Shay Given is struggling with a hamstring strain but Brad Guzan will return. Ron Vlaar is back in training (calf) after missing the last six months with a calf injury but will miss out tomorrow. Richard Dunne expects to resume training next week after a groin operation and could be available at end of January