Practising corners

Plumstead_Saint

On Tuesday we had SIXTEEN corners and couldn't score a goal. :rolleyes:

That must be some kind of record?

I hope Jan's got them practising set pieces today!

We did get 40 corners in a game against QPR in the third division once and lost 1 - 2 (can't remember if we scored from one, I think it was shortly after Don Roper rejoined us).

I think it was wrong not to play pearce for this reason.

This is why I tried (my internet browser was giving me a hard time and I gave up) to suggest bringing on Pearce as a sort of attacking sub. You do have to wonder who you would have taken off (maybe Schneiderlin and moving Cork to midfield?). With the amount of corners we had we really needed a bit more presence. I don't think it is a lack of training per sé but more the average size of our squad.

I think only one failed to beat the first one but a fair number seemed to pick out Perry who is not the greatest presence in the box.

I counted two or three that failed to beat the first man and there really is no excuse for it. Perhaps we ought to have Pearce tell the lads the secret of scoring from headers, as his record seems very good. But it would help if we had some tall, big strikers up front, or somebody like Pearce from the defence who actually knows how to head a ball from a corner in the event that the delivered ball is a good one.

We've always been crap at corners. MLT could deliver a mean corner but we still never managed to get anyone on the end of it (a few Monkou, Ruddock and Svensson headers aside). Claus went up for every corner we had over about an 8 year period and I don't think ever manager to get his head on one. I always thought he might as well had stayed back for all the use he was, in the opponents box.

What really riles me is the second ball. If the ball goes loose in the opponents area, they are always on the end of it to make an easy clearance. If it goes loose in our box, all hell is let loose, either the opponents get a second, or third shot at goal or we panic and either slice the clearance, or worse still, give it straight back to the oppo without clearing the box.

He certainly got one when we won at The Riverside. Think the other one was at home to Palace. Wigley signed him.

Never scored against Pompey. The players who did that season were Phillips, Blackstock, Oakley, Crouch and Camara.

And don't forget Dodd straight from the corner...although it was later put down as an OG (but, ahem, maybe not in the season in question!!)