New Pope

Saint-scooby

Apparently the new Pope will eliminate all paedophile Priests. Permit marriage for the Clergy.Make contraception compulsory for all Catholics and distribute all the wealth hoarded by the Vatican over the years to the poor. Unfortunately he might be accussed of taking Christianity too far !!

So they pick an old bloke who is too old to do the job to replace an old bloke who had to retire because he was too old to do the job.

Who says the catholic church has a PR problem?

Was never really about that though. A lot of reports that I've read suggest that Benedict resigned because it also clears the Curia out ( much like an incoming President ). All sorts of stories coming out of Italy at the moment, including my personal favourite, which is how the Vatican came to own the world's largest gay sauna!

So an increasingly irrelevant imaginary friend-based sect has chosen a new representative to wear some fancy robes, stand behind some bullet-proof glass waving, and make hypocritical claims of moral authority based on the ancient scribblings of a warmongering desert tribe. Whoop-de-do! Does it really need this much media attention?

So an increasingly irrelevant imaginary friend-based sect has chosen a new representative to wear some fancy robes, stand behind some bullet-proof glass waving, and make hypocritical claims of moral authority based on the ancient scribblings of a warmongering desert tribe. Whoop-de-do! Does it really need this much media attention?

Considering there are 1.2bn Catholics, many of whom care a great deal what the Pope says, I think it does! I am no Catholic, but the Pope is a man of great influence, so we probably shouldn't just dismiss him as a nothing.

Genuine question - what does the pope actually do? what is his job description?

He speaks to god! Obviously god is a bit like Baj and he hasn't got time to speak to every dumb poster on here, so what he does is have mods (cardinals) who tell everyone what to do and how much of the breast they can actually post and what is the permissible level of trolling allowed before infractions are handed out (floods and plagues for god). The thing is there are also loads of mods (cardinals) so god needs a main man - like the pope/Charlet

Since our beloved football team are indeed "The Saints" and our manager is Argentinian, does this now elevate our status under God's all seeing benevolence and mean that unfortunate incidents such as Saturday's disgraceful penalty saga will now become a thing of the past and that maybe even Jos and Fox will become an impassible left sided barrier? These do seem reasonable enough requests to such a higher deity ...

He speaks to god! Obviously god is a bit like Baj and he hasn't got time to speak to every dumb poster on here, so what he does is have mods (cardinals) who tell everyone what to do and how much of the breast they can actually post and what is the permissible level of trolling allowed before infractions are handed out (floods and plagues for god). The thing is there are also loads of mods (cardinals) so god needs a main man - like the pope/Charlet

Other churches and denominations I have lots of time for, I should be a Catholic but the arrogance of a priest and the church acting as a conduit between someones faith and God is ridiculous.

The absolution of sins I have an issue with.

The sanctity of the confession.

The last rites.

Use of condoms and safe sex.

And many many many others.

He's supposed to be politically more progressive and left-wing, but takes a very hard line on sexuality. No more progress on homosexuality and condoms in the church until this one dies then...

They said on the news last night this new one is said to ask for respect for gay people.

Considering most church folk call them perverted, this is something of progress.

He's supposed to be politically more progressive and left-wing, but takes a very hard line on sexuality. No more progress on homosexuality and condoms in the church until this one dies then...

Such a shame, the condom issue is so important as well, and if the new Pope doesn't signal a change a lot more people will die.

I don't see how the regressive hole can be gotten out of though. The Pope selects the Cardinals, and from what is reported the Cardinals appointed by Benedict reflected his views and so on and so forth, so I don't really see how a Pope with reasonable views on contraception will ever be selected soon :/

Such a shame, the condom issue is so important as well, and if the new Pope doesn't signal a change a lot more people will die.

I don't see how the regressive hole can be gotten out of though. The Pope selects the Cardinals, and from what is reported the Cardinals appointed by Benedict reflected his views and so on and so forth, so I don't really see how a Pope with reasonable views on contraception will ever be selected soon :/

The thing is, religion is inherently unreasonable. Catholicism is based on a 2000 year old book, which was decreed by people that claim to have spoken to god.

When these people believe the world is 6,000 years old, and the entire human race is related to Adam & Eve, asking for reasonable views may be a stretch too far.

[quote=KelvinsRightGlove;1644800

When these people believe the world is 6,000 years old, and the entire human race is related to Adam & Eve, asking for reasonable views may be a stretch too far.

The only people who believe in that are the fundamentalists - it isn't Catholic doctrine.

I presume that you are blaming the Church for the spread of AIDs? Actually that doesn't really stack up - the Church condemns sleeping with multiple partners and people don't listen to that so why do you then expect them to follow dutifully its teaching on condoms?

I presume that you are blaming the Church for the spread of AIDs? Actually that doesn't really stack up - the Church condemns sleeping with multiple partners and people don't listen to that so why do you then expect them to follow dutifully its teaching on condoms?

It equally loves them in the Churches on Sundays though, no sinners? No sinners to absolve.

Its simply a numbers game of more Catholics born and more for the Church in the 3rd World, great that.

I think the point is that generally people find it difficult to abstinate (just ask Cardinal O'Brien!) and so will have sex but the Church restrict access to condoms and so they have unprotected sex.