Jan wins Performance of the week award

Colinjb

The winner of the coveted weekly prize is selected by the League Managers Association's five-man panel, comprising Howard Wilkinson, Sir Alex Ferguson, Joe Royle, Dave Bassett and Barry Fry, and is given to the manager whose team's performance has been deemed the best across all four English divisions.

Fook, that is quite some honour or is it really a back-handed compliment

didn't see it but by all the reports I have read don't think anyone described it as flukish.

Lets hope for 3rd conseq away win -when did we last do that?

when i mean by fluke..i mean the fact we dont string any sort of performances together..the win was a bit of a one off....

i would be shocked if we won again in the next 3 games

especially as we are still totally inept at breaking teams down at sms....rather predictable really

Fook, that is quite some honour or is it really a back-handed compliment

I think it's an upfront and welll deserved compliment.

The performance on the day was very impressive (particularly the first half) and given they are a very strong side with an excellent home record, scoring for fun and well in the hunt for promotion, whilst we are at the opposite end of the table, an away win was a very impressive achievement.

Obviously, the fact that we were such underdogs makes the result even better, but then again it also shows us up as not being very good this season, so maybe their is an element of it being a backhanded compliment as well!!!!!

didn't see it but by all the reports I have read don't think anyone described it as flukish.

Lets hope for 3rd conseq away win -when did we last do that?

Certainly WASN'T flukish. It was well-deserved. We usually start games so slowly and are on the back foot, but the reverse was true this time. We knocked Reading back from the first whistle, and TBH should have been 4-0 up by half time. We were sat with the Reading fans and they couldn't believe what they were seeing. At HT they said they had never seen a visiting team come and play them off the park like that. If Jan said something special or put something in their drinks, he should do it every game.

I don't think there can be any doubt that breaking Reading's unbeaten home record is achievement of the week.

Swansea also had their unbeaten home record broken by Birmingham, but that was not so unexpected.

But what really gets my goat, is when there should be a moment to bask in a bit of good PR, something like this happens.

Maybe I'm being a bit precious, or failing to take the article in the not entireley serious way it's intended, but I half fear that . . . .

. . . . no I won't say it.

Congratulations to Jan and to the players who've done what he's told them despite mixed results. All I'm worried about is Jan being named as Manager of the Month just when we had a big chance of winning games and picking up results. That would be too much to take if he gets the award, although I don't think there's another Championship deserves it more than Jan. To have done what he's done in the face of crisis, no money is some achievement.

do you reckon they all get together and study the games and see what was what?

I doubt it too...

more like they get a phone call and have no idea what to say, the researcher on the other end says..."well struggling southampton beat reading at home"...fergie would reply "right, whatever they will do"..

or something like that..