Premiership Released players...

Dibden Purlieu Saint

Could make a half decent (if not slightly old) team out of this lot. Should we look at any (personally I think not).

Andrey Arshavin

Sebastien Squillaci

Denilson

Paulo Ferreira

Hilario

Florent Malouda

Yossi Benayoun

Thomas Hitzlsperger

Jan Mucha

Phil Neville

Mladen Petric

Mark Schwarzer

Georgios Karagkounis

Mahamadou Diarra

Wayne Bridge

Roque Santa Cruz

Danny Simpson

Jermaine Pennant

Matthew Upson

William Gallas

David Bentley

Zoltan Gera

Carlton Cole

Franco Di Santo

Schwarzer

Ferreira Gallas Upson Bridge

Diarra Karagounis

Arshavin Benayoun Malouda

Santa Cruz

Subs: Hilario, Hitzelsperger, Cole, Pennant, Gera, Denilson, Neville

Franco di Santo is only 24, and he put in a hell of a shift chasing stuff down in the first half up at Wigan when they out-pressed us, and seemed ideally suited to our style. Problem is he's not much of a goalscorer to add to that specific skill, but he might be worth a look, could even work in a Steven Davis type role but probably needs a scorer alongside him.

The rest of them either don't suit our style, would be way too expensive for what we'd get, or we'd run the risk of paying for an old crock.

Would definitely take a punt on Di Santo - especially with the Argentinean link.

I've been impressed most times I've seen him and it'd be interesting to see him in a team that creates chances and I'm pretty sure he started for Argentina recently so must be quite highly thought of by them!

Would definitely take a punt on Di Santo - especially with the Argentinean link.

I've been impressed most times I've seen him and it'd be interesting to see him in a team that creates chances and I'm pretty sure he started for Argentina recently so must be quite highly thought of by them!

Di Santo and Figueroa will be very much in demand.

Saw someone wanting Santa Cruz on another site. There's a prime example of why you shouldn't spend big money on someone performing for just one season. That was his only good season in his entire career, awful goal record besides that, yet it earned him a huge move thanks to the genius of Mark Hughes.

He must have massive wages, fits my cat 3.

Figueroa not being on the original list supports my argument that the OP should have listed everyone, or no-one.

Does Di Santo actually do much? He couldn't get into the Wigan team at the end.

I don't think he scores much, more Ormeroddish in style, and Kone was ahead of him but I'm only basing it on 45 minutes at the DW, so who knows what he was doing for the other (37*90)+45 minutes of the season.

He stands out as not being overpriced or definitely past it from that list though.

Baird is worth a look, cant hurt to have him around the training ground for a few weeks, Poch may see him as being able to do a job in the squad.

Would love to see Baird back at Saints. We do need a 2nd choice right back and since he's a versatile player too it might be worth a shot. At 31 still has a number of decent years in him.

Malouda could do a job from the bench as back up to Lallana and Punch and on his day is quality and better then both of them.

The bit in bold is the problem. So inconsistent when he was at his prime at chelsea. I dont want him here, wages too high for a start

Would love to see Baird back at Saints. We do need a 2nd choice right back and since he's a versatile player too it might be worth a shot. At 31 still has a number of decent years in him.

He was brilliant a centre back.. but one of the worst right-backs I'd ever seen when he played there. Too slow, couldn't close down, offered nothing going forward.

Weirdly though, that was the position he was touted as being his best.

He was brilliant a centre back.. but one of the worst right-backs I'd ever seen when he played there. Too slow, couldn't close down, offered nothing going forward.

Weirdly though, that was the position he was touted as being his best.

Personally thought he was a very good right back. Maybe not the modern attacking one in vogue at the moment but then defending has always been my primary valuation of defenders. Worst right back i ever saw for Saints was Ostlund. Couldn't defend at all.

Personally thought he was a very good right back. Maybe not the modern attacking one in vogue at the moment but then defending has always been my primary valuation of defenders. Worst right back i ever saw for Saints was Ostlund. Couldn't defend at all.

Ha, mine was another Swede! Nilsson. Mikael p1ssing Nilsson. Couldn't stand him. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

I thought Baird was a rubbish right back after his initial impact, until one season in the Championship it just clicked for him, he stopped just chipping the ball up the line to the opposing left midfielder and started picking a pass inside, his defending improved no end and he started reading the opponent better, (I wonder if it had anything to do with Dodd returning, though I have no evidence for that) and then shortly after that we moved him to CB and sold him a year later. :rolleyes:

Ha, mine was another Swede! Nilsson. Mikael p1ssing Nilsson. Couldn't stand him. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

God he was sh*t. he wasn't even really a right back, he was a midfielder converted to play full back. Terrible.

I would probably have to be restrained if I saw him in the street, purely for his attempted "tackle" in a 70-30 at Norwich in 2004/5.

FWIW I thought Ostlund was ok, though Damien Duff humiliated him in an international just around the time we signed him. They were both better than Lloyd James, as was Jermaine Wright. Delap at right back in comparison to that lot looked world class.

Edited by The9

Trouble with Gera, he's now 34 and had a season-ending injury in January, would you take a punt on a 34 yo who might have a career-ending injury and already has no sell-on value ? In his favour, West Brom's form dropped off when he got injured, they won 56% of matches with him and only 23% without.

Zoltan is 34!?!?!?! I thought he was only 29/30....

Fortune was also released by WBA who looked alright against us

Thought Fortune would be a decent looking signing when we were getting into the Championship but not so much now...

No-one on here take a punt on arshavin? Must say I'm surprised, scored or assist every other game for arsenal.

Good for a season or two I reckon if we played him in his best position... No?

I believe he has Saganowskitis.

Spot on, can cover in defensive mid too and has done so for fulham, I know some are big on only buying better but its a team game and he could be a very useful player to have in the squad for a season or two.