What did this place used to be like

Delboy Dave

I think the other problem might just be technical; being locked into a specific, off-the-shelf forum solution that either doesn't lend itself to development or has no resource available.

Baj himself said to me that the 'like' functionality wasn't a complicated task to add. I moderate on a different vBulletin forum and I've also had a look around the vBulletin forum for forum owners to help guide with adding different bits of functionality. The main issue is that these things take up time and understandably sometimes people end up actually getting a life and finding other things to do, I just think that's the point where other people need to be allowed to get involved and help share the load.

The great thing about social media is it gives everyone a platform to share their opinions

The tragedy is what some chose to do with it.

This forum has always had its fair share of those who one can only assume have little alternative opportunity for enjoyment in their lives, and see success as succeeding in irritating others... A sad indictment of their unsophisticated level of humour.

Posters don't leave because they are 'frightened' off by them, but simply because they can no longer be arsed.

When I first joined, in 1956, I remember only looking at the main board, and finding it entertaining. I dipped my toe into the Lounge (or whatever it was) and then became at first outraged, then strangley enticed, by the muppet show (or whatever it was). At some point I must have been bringing up kids, coz I didn't look for a couple of years. Then it was this place. So, basically, it's different but the same. Now, where did I put my teeth?

I much preferred this place when the background was Tellytubby style rainbows and fluffy clouds.

I thought it was so state of the art that Grantyy managed to get everyone a Virtual Chocolate Fountain when we first paid our subscriptions.

For the newbies, ART used to make reasoned logical posts, people could understand my posts and Tokes & Bearsy were still sharing a pram together in the park (Bearsy couldn't afford his own even back then)

It was so long ago that Turkish didn't have his name on the back of his shirt and there were no Saints in Glasgow.

Oh and of course TMS threads were all about Samantha Fox and Jilly Johnson, and of course Tim was still going down the Soul Cellar with his mates on Friday nights

I had a much longer post originally, but here it is, summed up. The site has failed to move with the times and is suffering for it.

Example. "Everyone is always arguing". Complete nonsense. The vast majority of people have a quiet chortle and move on. The site doesn't reflect the wry grin of the majority; it's held hostage to the people who fancy bickering over nothing, because polls aside, posts are the only currency.

Generalised, the two main arguments on the main board are:-

1) "I believe something good will happen with the club" vs "no it won't, you spanner!"

2) "I have heard that something bad will happen to the club" vs "how can this possibly be?"

My retinue of internet locations features a number of different moderation systems. Though I think the moderators are alright chaps, and have never whined about any of my infractions, the system that they work under is fundamentally flawed. First, the established etiquette rules don't reflect the target audience. I seriously do not understand the difference between f*ck and one supplied with a "u". Plausible deniability, perhaps? ("In all fairness, he might have said fick!"). Much larger forums allow it, and guess what, it's not a constant stream of effing and blinding. The other problem is the system itself, when viewed uncharitably, might be seen as "bung out the bad points when things get out of hand". Some ideas I like from other sites; "like", poster rep, voting to close a post, turn into a community wiki, etc.

The biggest problem with this site is the perception of this site. If a fan of another club visited here and left with the impression that we were a bunch of tarts arguing about nothing, I couldn't necessarily condemn them for it. Personally, I think we have some excellent contributors from all over the world, but it's a case of the vocal minority looking larger than they are, precisely because they post more and there is no other means of interaction. I've brought this up with the mods and they either ignore it or seem paralysed by the options. Start simple. A "like" button would sort a lot of stuff out immediately.

WTF is the point of a Like Button, other than to massage the ego of already egotistical posters? Look how great I am, 59 people liked my witty "+1" retort. I am a MongBoard Posting God.

Voting whether or not to keep a thread open FFS!! Why? If nobody likes the thread, it gets no replies and disappears so far down the pecking order it soon gets forgotten about. Nobody is forcing any of us to read anything posted on here. Also too many people "play the man, not the ball" , so, if say, the much maligned Alps started a thread, loads of people might automatically vote for it to get closed, as it doesn't match their views/agenda etc.

I assume, that if there were to be a "Like" option, that there were would also be a "Dislike" button. Once again the Playing the man, not the ball comes into play.

I'd rather somebody posted, "By God you don't half spout a load of Bollix you Bed Wetting Wet Fanny" rather than play Emperor and give my post a Thumbs Up or Down.

Please Press Like :thumbup: if you liked my contribution. :facepalm:

The great thing about social media is it gives everyone a platform to share their opinions

The tragedy is what some chose to do with it.

This forum has always had its fair share of those who one can only assume have little alternative opportunity for enjoyment in their lives, and see success as succeeding in irritating others... A sad indictment of their unsophisticated level of humour.

Posters don't leave because they are 'frightened' off by them, but simply because they can no longer be arsed.

:toppa: :thumbup:

WTF is the point of a Like Button, other than to massage the ego of already egotistical posters? Look how great I am, 59 people liked my witty "+1" retort. I am a MongBoard Posting God.

Voting whether or not to keep a thread open FFS!! Why? If nobody likes the thread, it gets no replies and disappears so far down the pecking order it soon gets forgotten about. Nobody is forcing any of us to read anything posted on here. Also too many people "play the man, not the ball" , so, if say, the much maligned Alps started a thread, loads of people might automatically vote for it to get closed, as it doesn't match their views/agenda etc.

I assume, that if there were to be a "Like" option, that there were would also be a "Dislike" button. Once again the Playing the man, not the ball comes into play.

I'd rather somebody posted, "By God you don't half spout a load of Bollix you Bed Wetting Wet Fanny" rather than play Emperor and give my post a Thumbs Up or Down.

I'd like an "applause" emoticon like there is on the UI for posts like this.

I'd like an "applause" emoticon like there is on the UI for posts like this.

We have one better

:adore:

But that doesn't change the fact that he REALLY is still a Bed Wetting Fanny, and you should hear the bollix he spouts after 4 pints of London Pride or OSH. Makes me sound intelligible

Cheer up Eric, it's Monday morning FFS. -1 reputations point to you.

I think the point was made pretty clearly, although I'd suggest dividing your attention between the humour and covering the points.

Why would you vote to close a post? Biggest reason I've seen elsewhere is duplication. I don't share your view of the like functionality ; Facebook employ it on a much larger scale and guess what, it isn't a gigantic p!ssing contest to get the most likes.

I think the point was made pretty clearly, although I'd suggest dividing your attention between the humour and covering the points.

Why would you vote to close a post? Biggest reason I've seen elsewhere is duplication. I don't share your view of the like functionality ; Facebook employ it on a much larger scale and guess what, it isn't a gigantic p!ssing contest to get the most likes.

If anybody wants a prime example of the difference between Now and Then .... I present Exhibit "A" M'lud.

Yay .... is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Does this set me aside from from The Happy Clappy Brigade, and am no longer allowed into The Playground?

Minus reps is a bad thing but you can make it up with plus reps by posting pics of boobies in the muppet show!

If anybody wants a prime example of the difference between Now and Then .... I present Exhibit "A" M'lud.

What, someone makes a suggestion instead of simply calling you a c*nt ( that's banter, right?! ).

The funny thing is that I'm after all the same stuff people are moaning about not having, such as a more lax attitude and the place to be run like a football forum.

What's the matter, Eric? Are you depressed because you're in Leigh? I fkn would be :)

What, someone makes a suggestion instead of simply calling you a c*nt ( that's banter, right?! ).

The funny thing is that I'm after all the same stuff people are moaning about not having, such as a more lax attitude and the place to be run like a football forum.

What's the matter, Eric? Are you depressed because you're in Leigh? I fkn would be :)

Close this thread immediately. It is full of lies!!

I am not depressed, nor am I in Leigh (check my location) and I only aspire to be c*nt.

Just mere Bed Wetting, Wet Fanny status for me with a -1 Rep.

We'll just have to agree to disagree :D

Off to The Beach now to get over my depression.

:thumbdown: (humour)

ericofarabia, aren't you overlooking the fact that what passes for trolling and bullying on here is already being used to "massage the ego of some already egotistical posters"?

Don't we need something to attempt to balance that?

Unfortunately some posters appear to get off on the "Look how great I am, 59 people got really upset by my sh*tty retort."

I was reading a thread yesterday, I think it was the Wanyama one, where to my eyes Turkish proffered a grovelling apology to a nearly 70 year old, occasional poster who had an opinion he wanted to share as he'd seen Wanyama play extensively.

Why did Turkish fall to his knees? Well to be honest, he didn't. But he did curb his aggression a little because a bunch of other posters called him to account. Having reflected that perhaps he might have been a little aggressive with a near-70 year old, occasional poster, he then went back into full sarcasm mode. But it was, for me, how the forum should work in microcosm. Personally, I'm not sure that Turkish did too much wrong in the first place, and I enjoy his posts in the main. He's entertaining, witty, probably well-dressed, certainly muscular and he does make me laugh.

Now, if we had the ability for Turkish to get instant feedback on the temperature of the posts he made yesterday. i.e. he saw 50 "likes" for the person taking the other side in the argument, or 50 thumbs down for his position, then he would have been able to see that in the eyes of some posters he'd gone a bit far. As it happened, he's not hard of thinking, was sensitive to the situation himself and moderated his comments accordingly.

Would such a system change the behaviour of some of the extreme personalities we have on here? Probably not. But I think it would start to define what the larger community expects, and then the mods/owners can steer the forum in the right direction. I see pap's suggestions as a starting point to help to build a forum where we value good content, and through the pollice verso system, begin the process of democratically starving those who crave the oxygen of trolling reactions.

Personally, I don't really want to see anyone banned. I don't want to see a beige forum, so I'd love to see such a system encourage edgy posts and posters. I simply want to urge "trolling" posters to moderate any behaviour that the majority finds objectionable.

Will pap's suggestions work for all? Probably not. Will it work for most? Probably not. Will it work straight away? Probably not. But does something need to be done? Yes I think so.

Wouldn't it be great to have an environment where new, or occasional posters feel able to contribute without the fear of an aggressive, knee-jerk response? I'm sure that many lurkers on here would contribute if they could be guaranteed a fair share of the voice. We all have opinions, but we're not all alpha-male, self-publicists. And for some, sharing their thoughts accurately in the written word doesn't come easily.

If any mods are reading this, I broadly support pap's suggestions.

Turkish, apologies for making you the rat in my maze.

:thumbdown: (humour)

ericofarabia, aren't you overlooking the fact that what passes for trolling and bullying on here is already being used to "massage the ego of some already egotistical posters"?

Don't we need something to attempt to balance that?

Unfortunately some posters appear to get off on the "Look how great I am, 59 people got really upset by my sh*tty retort."

I was reading a thread yesterday, I think it was the Wanyama one, where to my eyes Turkish proffered a grovelling apology to a nearly 70 year old, occasional poster who had an opinion he wanted to share as he'd seen Wanyama play extensively.

Why did Turkish fall to his knees? Well to be honest, he didn't. But he did curb his aggression a little because a bunch of other posters called him to account. Having reflected that perhaps he might have been a little aggressive with a near-70 year old, occasional poster, he then went back into full sarcasm mode. But it was, for me, how the forum should work in microcosm. Personally, I'm not sure that Turkish did too much wrong in the first place, and I enjoy his posts in the main. He's entertaining, witty, probably well-dressed, certainly muscular and he does make me laugh.

Now, if we had the ability for Turkish to get instant feedback on the temperature of the posts he made yesterday. i.e. he saw 50 "likes" for the person taking the other side in the argument, or 50 thumbs down for his position, then he would have been able to see that in the eyes of some posters he'd gone a bit far. As it happened, he's not hard of thinking, was sensitive to the situation himself and moderated his comments accordingly.

Would such a system change the behaviour of some of the extreme personalities we have on here? Probably not. But I think it would start to define what the larger community expects, and then the mods/owners can steer the forum in the right direction. I see pap's suggestions as a starting point to help to build a forum where we value good content, and through the pollice verso system, begin the process of democratically starving those who crave the oxygen of trolling reactions.

Personally, I don't really want to see anyone banned. I don't want to see a beige forum, so I'd love to see such a system encourage edgy posts and posters. I simply want to urge "trolling" posters to moderate any behaviour that the majority finds objectionable.

Will pap's suggestions work for all? Probably not. Will it work for most? Probably not. Will it work straight away? Probably not. But does something need to be done? Yes I think so.

Wouldn't it be great to have an environment where new, or occasional posters feel able to contribute without the fear of an aggressive, knee-jerk response? I'm sure that many lurkers on here would contribute if they could be guaranteed a fair share of the voice. We all have opinions, but we're not all alpha-male, self-publicists. And for some, sharing their thoughts accurately in the written word doesn't come easily.

If any mods are reading this, I broadly support pap's suggestions.

Turkish, apologies for making you the rat in my maze.

You see THIS is the problem with this forum nowadays.

Too many people post who have common sense.

As a result it's impossible to see the wood for the trees anymore and distinguish between wind ups, trolling and general irreverence.

Ban the sensibles I say.

:thumbdown: (humour

How very dare you give my Sense of Humour the dreaded thumbs down.

It's all I've got :cry:. I feel like I've just been bullied.

Oh .... I do have access to getting Beer discounted at The Barasti Bar, which is a perk that certain posters on here might not get to benefit from if they don't fall in line with my point of view ;)

Now, see what you've made me do. :x

All said with tongue very much in cheek, and I totally agree that some of the wumming / trolling is way beyond a joke and tiresome.

Some might even view this post as trolling, but believe me I'm not doing it to get a reaction, just trying to add a little bit of light heartedness to the board.

Too many people take everything too seriously, which feeds the trolls. Maybe the answer to the solution maybe be found in your location Bletch.

Happy Hunting :uhoh:

Love and Peace. XXX

It's no coincidence that this place has gone downhill since the subscription fee came I to force and I refused to pay. There's only so much I can do with three post per 24hrs.

How did b-anter get funded with no ads and no subscription?

It's no coincidence that this place has gone downhill since the subscription fee came I to force and I refused to pay. There's only so much I can do with three post per 24hrs.

I think something is worth paying for if you value it. £5 is not a lot of money these days, particularly spread over 12 months. I pay money for other online services that I use a lot less.

I think something is worth paying for if you value it. £5 is not a lot of money these days, particularly spread over 12 months. I pay money for other online services that I use a lot less.

Sadly, it might be too much for Bearsy though when his renewal time comes around again

Both SaintsFun and B-anter were funded solely by me.

Thats what I thought, which is doable for a smaller site. I imagine the costs for Saintweb are a lot more given the traffic and cant see any individual wanting to stump up out of their own pocket.

Sadly, it might be too much for Bearsy though when his renewal time comes around again

Some kind of bear adoption scheme is clearly in order. It would be a shame to see the creature plucked from an environment in which it thrives.

How very dare you give my Sense of Humour the dreaded thumbs down.

It's all I've got :cry:. I feel like I've just been bullied.

Hi Eric, send me a formal complaint by PM if you want me to give Bletch -1 reputations for bullying. It can be anonomous so won't be linked to you in any way! :)

People who solely posts on here to be meaningful need to be meaningful a bit more in the real life, a purpose is needed for them.

Good point, Bazza, but don't constrain yourself to the thinking set.

Seen posts over the last week or saying the forum used to be much better than it is now.

I've only been on here 18 months approx, so don't really know how it used to be?

The feeling that this forum was better in the good old days often gets trotted out during the close season as there is nowt but transfer speculation to occupy the minds of fans. There is some general @rse-iness until the pre season friendlies start and then everyone falls in love with each other just before the first game, in eager anticipation and then it generally goes back to slanging matches after the first few games! But the main forum is still very good and both fun and a useful source of information. Shame some posters genuinely seem to get wound up about transfer gossip and the validity of the posts when, really, it's all just a bit of fun.

FWIW, although it's still pretty good, I think the Lounge forum is not as much fun as it used to be. Go back about 6, maybe 7 years ago (iirc) it was quite good fun and there were some very funny threads (lots of posters contributed to them) which we don't seem to get anymore. I think posters generally seemed to be a bit more relaxed, could take a wind up and didn't get so upset about posts back then. Unfortunately there appears to be an increasing number who see posters and posts and trolls and trolling when it really it's no such thing. IMHO it's a lazy reaction to something they just don't like and it's not good to get frothy at the gash for no good reason. But that in itself can be quite entertaining if the wind up is good enough. It has also become a bit too focused on political issues with some potentially decent threads never given a chance, which kind of makes the lounge predictable. IMHO some posters would do well finding other forums more suited to the political arena instead of using this one, but there are easy targets on here, so it can offer some payback to them if they want a cheap, quick bit of self-validation.

Don't know about the other forums as i don't really go on them tbh. So i guess it's mainly nostalgia, but the lounge has changed. All IMHO of course.

You spend too much time in your taxi to be on here using more than 3 posts, especially now you're saving up for your holiday fund.

He's got his 'yos' commission to come, and I think he charged Granty 10p per tube stop to help him with his Circle Line Pub Crawl..

it chars my heart to always hear you calling

Calling for the good old days

Because there were no good old days

These are the good old days

Sometimes I get the feelin'

I was back in the old days - long ago

When we were kids when we were young

Things seemed so perfect - you know

The days were endless we were crazy we were young

The sun was always shinin' - we just lived for fun

Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don't know

The rest of my life's been just a show

Those were the days of our lives

The bad things in life were so few

Those days are all gone now but one thing is true

When I look and I find I still love you

The only real difference is the off the field stuff a few years back after Lowe was ousted which generated a lot of interest on here and many more posters, some funny, some dull, some imposters.

Rumours such as the Paul Allen takeover, yatchs sailing up the itchen etc etc. Although somewhat painful at the time, there was some hilarious posters, characters and strange events over that period of time which made the forum more attractive then.

some people seem to want to use this site just as a forum for accusing me of being a price pikey, but i am not a price pikey! The other day i was buying food at drive thru right & dumb sales person at window dropped 50p and it went under car so what I done right was I was just paid an extra 50p! I was like, "don't worry bout it yo!". I did go back later that night + spent a few hours looking, but it was gone tho :(

This forum used to be better, before the song lyrics came along and ruined it for everyone. A lot of the best singers don't post anymore and you can see why.

Once upon a time there was a forum

Where we used to raise a glass or two

Remember how we laughed away the hours

And think of all the great things we would do

Chorus:

Those were the days, my friend

We thought they'd never end

We'd sing and dance forever and a day

We'd live the life we choose

We'd fight and never lose

For we were young and sure to have our way

La la la la la la

La la la la la la

Then the busy years went rushing by us

We lost our starry notions on the way

If by chance I'd see you on the forum

We'd smile at one another and we'd say

Those were the days

Oh, yes, those were the days

La la la la la la

La la la la la la

Just tonight I stood before the forum

Nothing seemed the way it used to be

In the glass I saw a strange reflection

Was that lonely poster really me?

Those were the days

La la la la la la

La la la la la la

Through the door there came familiar laughter

I saw your face and heard you call my name

Oh, my friend, we're older but no wiser

For in our hearts the dreams are still the same...

Those were the days

La la la la la la

La la la la la la

What have I started? It's like sh!t songs anonymous in here now.

"Hi my names Bob and I love Freddie Mercury. I have had this problem since I got a tingling in my pants watching the video for Radio Ga Ga".

Mate you are so wrong, it was Crazy Little Thing Called Love that did it for me....the unmoustached overbite just sent my hormone riddled body into paroxysm's of lust.

--

Whilst I'm at it, "mate"?? Where did the over use of the word mate come from, it's like when I worked behind the Student bar and this price-pikey came along asking if he could have a pint of the ullage, when I wanted to charge him 50p for it he said "Mate, I ain't paying that", I said "I ain't your mate, I've never met you", to which he replied "I'm Bearsy, nice to meet you!!"

The feeling that this forum was better in the good old days often gets trotted out during the close season as there is nowt but transfer speculation to occupy the minds of fans. There is some general @rse-iness until the pre season friendlies start and then everyone falls in love with each other just before the first game, in eager anticipation and then it generally goes back to slanging matches after the first few games! But the main forum is still very good and both fun and a useful source of information. Shame some posters genuinely seem to get wound up about transfer gossip and the validity of the posts when, really, it's all just a bit of fun.

FWIW, although it's still pretty good, I think the Lounge forum is not as much fun as it used to be. Go back about 6, maybe 7 years ago (iirc) it was quite good fun and there were some very funny threads (lots of posters contributed to them) which we don't seem to get anymore. I think posters generally seemed to be a bit more relaxed, could take a wind up and didn't get so upset about posts back then. Unfortunately there appears to be an increasing number who see posters and posts and trolls and trolling when it really it's no such thing. IMHO it's a lazy reaction to something they just don't like and it's not good to get frothy at the gash for no good reason. But that in itself can be quite entertaining if the wind up is good enough. It has also become a bit too focused on political issues with some potentially decent threads never given a chance, which kind of makes the lounge predictable. IMHO some posters would do well finding other forums more suited to the political arena instead of using this one, but there are easy targets on here, so it can offer some payback to them if they want a cheap, quick bit of self-validation.

Don't know about the other forums as i don't really go on them tbh. So i guess it's mainly nostalgia, but the lounge has changed. All IMHO of course.

I'm not sure I'd share this assessment of the Lounge. Remember that it wasn't so long ago that most of the content was middle-aged men having a go at SaintAndy666. Perhaps you've forgotten all the threads some of our dearly departed (and reconstituted) posters used to share, such as on Gibraltar or Rhodesia, or the innumerable threads on whether something was racist or not, littered with examples of double standards. The Lounge has gotten loads better in that respect. I don't miss threads like that at all, and while I'd agree with you on there being a certain predictability to the Lounge ( almost every EU thread is the same ), it's less predictable because a lot of the usual tropes have fallen by the wayside.

Whatever, the Lounge is for serious discussion. Sounds like you think the discussion has gotten too serious, but I do wonder whether those are the words of someone bruised by a few encounters on there. Who do you think should leave so you can have a fair crack at a topic? :)

Australians have to use it every third sentence Bob. I think it is in the constitution or something. Along with they promise not to steal stuff again.

It is better than chap or fella thou as these are 'mates' for toffs.

This board never used to have useful info like above before. It was mainly stuff umpahars had heard in the car park or pilchards lip reading from up a tree.

I'm not sure I'd share this assessment of the Lounge. Remember that it wasn't so long ago that most of the content was middle-aged men having a go at SaintAndy666. Perhaps you've forgotten all the threads some of our dearly departed (and reconstituted) posters used to share, such as on Gibraltar or Rhodesia, or the innumerable threads on whether something was racist or not, littered with examples of double standards. The Lounge has gotten loads better in that respect. I don't miss threads like that at all, and while I'd agree with you on there being a certain predictability to the Lounge ( almost every EU thread is the same ), it's less predictable because a lot of the usual tropes have fallen by the wayside.

Whatever, the Lounge is for serious discussion. Sounds like you think the discussion has gotten too serious, but I do wonder whether those are the words of someone bruised by a few encounters on there. Who do you think should leave so you can have a fair crack at a topic? :)

I think the Lounge is for discussion, sometimes serious, sometimes not, but purely serious? No, not at all. However, it does feel that it has got more that way over time. For all your gentle baiting pap, no, I can safely say that i have never been "bruised" by an internet forum. Crikey, I feel sorry for anyone that has felt that way. I like the forum as a distraction and to keep up with the Saints. Sometimes one gets more involved that at other times, but it's a fine piece of frippery, nothing else.

I guess you must have seen a little bit of yourself in my cheeky little swipe at the politicos on here. Fair enough, but i wouldn't want anyone to read too much into that, even less for anyone to leave or be banned. I've found over the years (with the various incarnations of this saints forum), most thread topics have come up a number of times and they generally consist of the same posts, so i spend far less time on here than i used to (not to mention the increasing demands of work). But a fair wind and fine voice to all those who do post more regularly.

The Lounge has never been purely serious, even though it's supposed to be. Threads tend to be about serious subjects, individual posts often aren't. "Banter" hasn't disappeared; there's just a lot less sh!te in the mix.

I took exception to your initial suggestion that people who wanted to discuss political matters should do so on another site. First, there's a huge assumption that people aren't doing that anyway. Speaking for myself, I post elsewhere - but this is probably the main place I post, for one reason really - the cross section. As I've often remarked, there's no entrance exam to be a Saints fan, and no-one gets turned away on the basis of their politics. That for me, is what makes it such an interesting place to post. Interesting that you mark it all down to self-validation, and also implicitly suggest that most posters here aren't up to much in the brain department. How else could these self-validating big boys score their cheap points?

Fairly depressing way to look at things, Special K.

Edited by pap

This website is fairly typical of it's ilk, I have friends who frequent QPR, Reading, Man U sites and they have similar views as I have on this one !

It's normal to have Wums, Trolls, Stattos etc, so nobody should get the hump, if you don't like it don't visit the site !

Personally I prefer here to the UI but respect that if you want a Saints forum you takes your pick and gets on with it !!