Red cards for diving !?

simo

I think it might be a good idea to red card someone for that. After all, the player dived after no contact, knowing that if the ref calls a foul, they will probably score from the penalty, have out third choice keeper on and we'll be a player down.

It might make players think twice about diving in the area if they will get a red card for it.

I agree with the OP.

Oscar gambled his yellow card and a possible goal against a red card for Davis and a PK. During a game a red (especially with substantial time left to play) is worth several yellows. A red on the goalkeeper also (essentially) uses up a sub. I'd love to see the international board address this. Otherwise its a gap in the rules that cynical, but rational players will abuse.

the worse part of the arguement is that " a red for a goalie " effectively punishes the opposition TWICE.

I think a yellow is sufficient - except in the most dire situations.

it's far too easy to " go to ground " especially where a player " claims " a foul afterwards. Such treatment should also apply to those outfield " divers " too.

- going down to 10 men, is a severe enough punishment, but then to have a penalty kick against an unfamilar keeper who's just donned the shirt / come off the bench.

Should be a yellow and maybe introduce retrospective tv action as they do with off the ball incidents. If found guilty then a suspension should follow. It has to be stopped as no matter who does it I find annoying. Winning or losing by cheating aint right.

Should be a yellow and maybe introduce retrospective tv action as they do with off the ball incidents. If found guilty then a suspension should follow. It has to be stopped as no matter who does it I find annoying. Winning or losing by cheating aint right.

Agree with this approach.

I'd like to see more suspensions for this, but still think advising referees to red card simulation in a DGSO would do more to discourage it.

Why? Suspensions punish players in future matches, and teams get to play with 11 men. Top teams like Chelsea have the depth to absorb a suspension anyhow. When a player dives in a DGSO, and he's successful, that actual match is affected with the keeper (or defender) is sent off. The game is set up to reward diving with this asymmetric punishment, so no one should be surprised when it happens.

I'd like to see more suspensions for this, but still think advising referees to red card simulation in a DGSO would do more to discourage it.

Why? Suspensions punish players in future matches, and teams get to play with 11 men. Top teams like Chelsea have the depth to absorb a suspension anyhow. When a player dives in a DGSO, and he's successful, that actual match is affected with the keeper (or defender) is sent off. The game is set up to reward diving with this asymmetric punishment, so no one should be surprised when it happens.

Good point. But if the keeper is sent off etc, it obviously implys the ref thought the dive was not a dive so gives a penalty. The retrospective action would be to correct this wrong decision with a suspension, the course of the initial decision can never be changed.

Problem is refs sometimes call them wrong

Would be very harsh to punish a team twice

Refs get pens wrong too, sending the keeper off as well is punishing them twice too. I am all for red cards for diving. If the reef sees it then why not?

The initial problem is practicality: would referees find it easier or harder to punish divers if a red card is compulsory? I think that on balance they'd find it harder - diving is particularly subjective and easy to mistake, so the added pressure of being forced to hand out a red for what could actually be a genuine foul only increases the pressure on the referee. Therefore, they might be more reluctant to reprimand offenders at first blush.

I don't think the problems end there, either. One must consider whether the introduction would reduce diving despite the above practical problem - so, would an automatic red act as an effective deterrence? Again, I don't think it would at all. As already stated, the risk wouldn't necessarily be increased, so the benefits from 'acting' would be superior. This doesn't mean players are going to spend the whole game diving, just that we'd be likely to see just as many dives as we do today.

I'd like to ask whether there are really that many dives in today's game anyway? I'm not sure of the stats, but I can't imagine it's really that many. To me, it's similar to playing with a dodgy ref - when every decision goes against you, the ref is utterly bias and shocking, whereas when it happens to the other team it's a lot harder to notice or acknowledge. To link this back in with diving, consider Jay Rodriguez diving at Aston Villa last season and getting away with it - I don't seem to remember many fans admonishing him. In fact, a lot seemed to think it was a genuine foul (think again, it wasn't). Ultimately, it's watching your team play with rose tinted glasses that makes the issue of diving so controversial.

Finally, what can be done? In my opinion, it's fantastic to see diving being condemned by managers - Moyes and Mourinho have criticised their own players, and that open shift in attitude will do more to change player behaviour without brining in arbitrary rules that, in my opinion, wouldn't even work.

It is tough, a player can go over in the box (or anywhere on the field) through momentum but not dive. Refs would get this wrong and players would be sent off for falling over!

Should bring in hand ball is hand ball, would get rid of grey areas!

I agree with the OP.

Oscar gambled his yellow card and a possible goal against a red card for Davis and a PK. During a game a red (especially with substantial time left to play) is worth several yellows. A red on the goalkeeper also (essentially) uses up a sub. I'd love to see the international board address this. Otherwise its a gap in the rules that cynical, but rational players will abuse.

It seems that the punishments aren't the same. Yellow for diving or red for professional foul, plus of course the free kick or penalty depending on where the dive is. {Arsenal dived in the middle of the park} I think refs should be given direction and be told that if it had been a foul rather than a dive, would there be a red card? If there would be, then the diver should be subject to the same punishment. I suspect that that might begin to cut out some of the diving, at least in the box.

Cheating in any other sport results in a ban. Football allows cheating to be punished with extremely weak sanctions which is why it has become endemic in the game. Oscar cheated and should have been sent off but he'd have still only missed 3 games and kept his full pay packet. If being sent off for cheating kept a player out of the game for a full season, and a genuine financial penalty, they would think twice before doing it.

ok , I was over simplifying , but in the modern game where so much hangs on every decision i do believe there should be video reviews of important decisions. Not so that it interferes with the flow of the game of course, so limited numbers like tennis for instance or if the ref needs clarification.

Either it gets put into place or we just have to make peace with the fact that referees will get it wrong