Just back from Burnley

ladysaint

Took 5 hours to get there, 3-0 down at half time and then the team turned up. Why oh why cant we play 90 minutes, how is it we play the first half like we played against Palace and the second half as we played against Reading, if someone can just explain that to me I might begin to understand this team.

Photos http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=52813&l=3d51e&id=726098588

Edited by ladysaint

Just back from the match and the score flattered us. Who knows what might have happened had we survived the first 10 mins. At 1-0, our heads dropped (we just dont have a talker or leader in the team - euell surprisingly is the closest thing we've got) and routine saves and challenges went missing and the goals depressingly followed.

For the first 20 mins of the 2nd half, we did enjoy more possession and showed , mostly through Skacel and BWP on the left. Our second goal was very worked with a nice ball from Euell. But this was no Preston comeback - i dont think we tested their keeper after that and they were the ones to create the clearcut chances. A third would have been very lucky but it was definitely no Swansea.

The plus was Euell's return. He's the most direct player Ive seen (Stern apart) and held the ball well - maybe its JP's lack of confidence in the other strikers that Euell was playing as the one upfront. Surman also had a good game. Lallana, however, seriously disappointed again- this is not the first game in which he's struggled recently. He failed to give us enough width and frequently bunched up play. On current form, I would start DMG ahead of Lallana anyday of the week, though if Lallana was playing in the hole -occupied by DMG- his form might pick up.

Pearce added some stability when he came on and Cork looked much better than Schneiderlin in the middle. Perhaps, he is still recovering but again this is not the first time Morgan has disappeared from a game. Perhaps he still hasnt really adapted to the physical side of the championship. Kelvin had a mixed game - were his great saves less important after gifting them their second? who knows. Finally, Skacel needs to play further forward - this is becoming blindingly obvious. He cant defend but he knows how to shoot (we were shooting alot more this game but its laughable how everyone either dragged their shot or failed to get any power behind them) and he knows how to keep it simple but effective in the final third. It would solve two problems. Worth giving Mills enough shot at LB?

Finally, it was the first time that the away fans have turned against JP (maybe that's because the tunnel was in front of us). Probably borne more of frustration than anything deeper but still not trivial.

Have to say, I thought Euell playing upfront in 1st half was a massive mistake. He couldn't get involved in the game, and didn't really have any input.

Swopping him and McGoldrick in 2nd half was a big factor in changing the game.

Always, what is it with the idiot fans we have who abuse players for wearing gloves?!

Have to say, I thought Euell playing upfront in 1st half was a massive mistake. He couldn't get involved in the game, and didn't really have any input.

Always, what is it with the idiot fans we have who abuse players for wearing gloves?!

although we dont agree on much..have to say, if that happened then it displays yet again that we have some proper morons that go to games at times...

although we dont agree on much..have to say, if that happened then it displays yet again that we have some proper morons that go to games at times...

There were at least 3 near me. One took about 15 seconds and then a continous tirade of abuse at (I think) BWP just for wearing gloves.

Took 5 hours to get there, 3-0 down at half time and then the team turned up. Why oh why cant we play 90 minutes, how is it we play the first half like we played against Palace and the second half as we played against Reading, if someone can just explain that to me I might begin to understand this team.

Photos http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=52813&l=3d51e&id=726098588

Jan, what was the second half like???

As a few match reports I have read is that we were still fairly average (good in the odd patch), but did manage to score two goals.

Jan, what was the second half like???

As a few match reports I have read is that we were still fairly average (good in the odd patch), but did manage to score two goals.

Indeed that is what my mates who went said. Burnley fell asleep and we had 2 shots on target in a 20min spell which resulted in 2 goals. One that was maybe a fluke by Skacel and 2nd which was class by Surman. After Surmans goal we did not shoot once at the keeper. That is what i was told and reading the match reviews that are not on the OS would seem to support it really.

Lallana, however, seriously disappointed again- this is not the first game in which he's struggled recently. He failed to give us enough width and frequently bunched up play. On current form, I would start DMG ahead of Lallana anyday of the week, though if Lallana was playing in the hole -occupied by DMG- his form might pick up.

He is destroying the shape of the team, exposing our right side to counter attack, making us totally lobsided, now a liability.

If he won't play in his assigned position and for the good of the team he needs to be sorted or dropped.

We came out with our gloves on the second half (sorry Bungle) and Burnley started panicking for a good 30minutes we totally controlled the second half and played some good football. I think we all knew that it wasnt going to be our day after being 3-0 down in 11 mins but we cant expect to play only 30 mins out of the 90.

I really dont know what the answer to this team is I either really enjoy watching them or totally despair at the football there seems to be no happy medium for me.

He is destroying the shape of the team, exposing our right side to counter attack, making us totally lobsided, now a liability.

If he won't play in his assigned position and for the good of the team he needs to be sorted or dropped.

From what I have seen of Lallana, he is definitely no winger, not quick enough for a start and likes to drift in. It should be Lallana playing in the hole, not DMG. I don't really see the attraction of DMG as a forward or midfielder TBH.

There were at least 3 near me. One took about 15 seconds and then a continous tirade of abuse at (I think) BWP just for wearing gloves.

Bet they were wearing warm coats? unlike a few youngsters down the front who were in shorts which reminded me of Dennis Rofe.

Good to hear the Woolston Ferry being sang.

Strange that a side 4th in the league only get 11000 attendance though. Maybe they were saving their money for the cup semi games?

I wasn`t there:confused:

1st time I've heard our fans turn on the players and manager and they looked shocked but after the 1st half they deserved it.

The 2nd half, whilst entertaining, did nothing but paper over the serious cracks.

Why the young kids down the front were wearing shorts and footy tops is beyond me. Maybe they thought they were being ironic.

All in all we're fu cked.

I would say swopping cork for schneiderlin and bringing pearce on made what difference there was.

Bet they were wearing warm coats? unlike a few youngsters down the front who were in shorts which reminded me of Dennis Rofe.

Good to hear the Woolston Ferry being sang.

Strange that a side 4th in the league only get 11000 attendance though. Maybe they were saving their money for the cup semi games?

No that's Burnley's normal gate. Personally, I'd like to see some meaningful loan players come in, get rid of rubbish like Robertson and Pekfart, if they can't dislodge McG they probably shouldn't be in professional football, including a RB so that Cork can play DM. Morgan is more technically gifted but Cork will do the better job in that position against the better CCC sides.

Coyle deserves a lot of credit for what he is doing at Burnley but again, Burnley are another club that have attracted external investment, despite having a much smaller fanbase than us, which is why they can purchase players like Paterson and the very impressive Eagles. Even Blackpool and Plymouth have as well. We are seen as such a rabble that I'm not surprised anyone will touch us with a barge pole.

Do feel sorry for JP to an extent, seems a top bloke but he'd be better suited to Hockaday's job and have a more experienced manager at this level in the hotseat.

It seems a bit daft to me as well, doubt if they would have been if we'd been 1-0 up after 11 mins. Not that I'm condoning them at all but perhaps the gloves were a visual symptom of some fans feeling the young lads weren't stuck into Burnley in the first half? Fab used to get stick from an ST that sat near me in the Kingsland North circa 4-5 years ago so I have come across this before.

It seems a bit daft to me as well, doubt if they would have been if we'd been 1-0 up after 11 mins. Not that I'm condoning them at all but perhaps the gloves were a visual symptom of some fans feeling the young lads weren't stuck into Burnley in the first half? Fab used to get stick from an ST that sat near me in the Kingsland North circa 4-5 years ago so I have come across this before.

Funny thing was Schneiderlin was wearing gloves and put in one crunching tackle (I believe he got booked) and the bloke near us continued to have a go at him for wearing gloves! I just don't see the reasoning. And he started the abuse at 0-0 as well!

Funny thing was Schneiderlin was wearing gloves and put in one crunching tackle (I believe he got booked) and the bloke near us continued to have a go at him for wearing gloves! I just don't see the reasoning. And he started the abuse at 0-0 as well!

Some people get a bee in their bonnet on a particular day, especially if the game isn't going well. Odd that he started at 0-0 though. We do have our fair share of odd fans, I can remember this guy offering me out at Bolton, as one of my friends that had travelled up with me was having a pop at one our players for bottling a challenge, for not "getting behind the team"! It wasn't even as if it had been me that had said anything! It was all bravado anyway as he was holding a young kid at the time. Great example he was setting as a Dad...

Getting up at 6.30 wasn't fun but we eventually got to Burnley and piled in the Ministry of Ale. Brew Pub with two of their own beers plus some Rudgate and Sharps. On to the Bridge Bier Huis Which had about 5 real ales which changed while we were in there plus a pretty good selection of foreign beer. On the way back we stopped in Leeds at the Brewery Tap just outside the station, a new outlet for the Leeds Brewery beers.

Got back to King's X before 11 and just managed to connect with the 23.13 from Vauxhall, home after midnight. Completely knackered.

May have gone to a football match but not sure if it was a dream or a nightmare...

Getting up at 6.30 wasn't fun but we eventually got to Burnley and piled in the Ministry of Ale. Brew Pub with two of their own beers plus some Rudgate and Sharps. On to the Bridge Bier Huis Which had about 5 real ales which changed while we were in there plus a pretty good selection of foreign beer. On the way back we stopped in Leeds at the Brewery Tap just outside the station, a new outlet for the Leeds Brewery beers.

Got back to King's X before 11 and just managed to connect with the 23.13 from Vauxhall, home after midnight. Completely knackered.

May have gone to a football match but not sure if it was a dream or a nightmare...

Sounds like you had a great day out despite the result. The Burnley area is also good for Moorhouses' beers, particularly Black Cat but also the stronger Witches' Pendle Brew which would have helped the first half go a lot faster. Burnley cricket ground also serves real ale I seem to recall, just behind Turf Moor.

Did you try the Midnight Bell - a crackingly good strong mild. Good from the cask or the bottle.

Did you try the Midnight Bell - a crackingly good strong mild. Good from the cask or the bottle.

Have had it before, a nice beer. Tried the Leeds Best in the Brewery Tap which was nothing special. The touble up north is they want such a massive head on their beer it can ruin the flavour. Would have liked to see some Thornbridge, they brew excellent ales.

Further to comment about Moorhose's the Bridge had No-Nay-Never which had a Burnley crest on the pump clip. Again not a great beer. There is a pub near me which regularly has Black Cat on gravity, the Bree Louise just outside Euston. Now that is good!

I am intrigued.

Some of our idiotic fans can chant about Bradley thieving from Skates cos that doesn't matter (Charlton away) but when a fan has a pop at a prissy footballer wearing gloves that is all wrong!!Wright Phillips is scum and deserves constant reminding of what some right minded people think of his antics last year.

I am intrigued.

Some of our idiotic fans can chant about Bradley thieving from Skates cos that doesn't matter (Charlton away) but when a fan has a pop at a prissy footballer wearing gloves that is all wrong!!Wright Phillips is scum and deserves constant reminding of what some right minded people think of his antics last year.

I bet some of them were wearing vests too, poofs!

I am intrigued.

I seem to remember he was aquitted.

Indeed he was.

Wouldn't it be nice if Alan56 came back and apologised for his little tirade? I won't hold my breath though.

Not quite sure what I have to apologise for. Read what was actually said.

Note though, no apology called for from the trash that sings it is ok to thieve from Skates. A nauseating chant that rained down at the valley last month.

The club that I loved to support is, it would seem, rotten to the core.

Thousands of us will be a long time returning I fear.