Stoke fan memorial idea

Alanh

Sad for any fan to lose their life at a game but didn't the family of the lady who passed away seek to 'come after' Saints for negligence when the lady in question was crushed by her own fans?

I may have got my wires crossed and be wrong and / or unfair but I'm not entirely sure our club or fans should getting involved in stuff like this anyway.

So we should all join in singing a song about missing an elderly Stoke fan? :lol: Great idea. Shall we have a minutes applause for every Saints fan that dies from now on?

I think it's more to do with the place and manner (or "manor" as the stokies put it ;) ) of her death. My dad died last thursday and he was a Saints fan, but he died in bed, not knocked over at SMS.

I may have got my wires crossed and be wrong and / or unfair but I'm not entirely sure our club or fans should getting involved in stuff like this anyway.

You mean this?

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Family-Stoke-City-fan-Mabel-Smith-fight-truth/story-19582240-detail/story.html

TBH it's a relatively good way to die. Your team scores against ManUre. Good innings also.

I think it was against us, as the match was in 2013...

I was at the match last year and witnessed this lady falling face first onto the concrete. It appears to me that she was jostled by her own supporters who happened to be standing in an all seater arena and like the old days when you used to see the surge of the kop when Liverpool scored she was alunched forward with nothing infron of her to stop her. i belive she was in the 2nd or 3rd row and went right over the top of the people in front. from what i saw there this was not a "good" way to go as she lived through this ordeal for some weeks but never fully got over it. It is such a shame that a die hard life long supporter of a football club should suffer in this way. I for one will be more than happy to join in a round of applause for not only a fellow football fan but a fellow human being.

I was at the match last year and witnessed this lady falling face first onto the concrete. It appears to me that she was jostled by her own supporters who happened to be standing in an all seater arena and like the old days when you used to see the surge of the kop when Liverpool scored she was alunched forward with nothing infron of her to stop her. i belive she was in the 2nd or 3rd row and went right over the top of the people in front. from what i saw there this was not a "good" way to go as she lived through this ordeal for some weeks but never fully got over it. It is such a shame that a die hard life long supporter of a football club should suffer in this way. I for one will be more than happy to join in a round of applause for not only a fellow football fan but a fellow human being.

Avid*

According to the Stoke Sentinel report, they are still trying to understand what happened. Sounds like you are able to help them with their enquiries, Stevie.

Can you drop a line to amanda.jacks@fsf.org.uk with the above explanation. It wouldn't be right of me to copy paste your words.

The objective is to draw a line under this, as clearly - according to that report - they believe the stewards at St Marys are at fault for not clearing the aisles. Let's clear this up and get the bad blood out of the way.

Unfortunately, 95% of Saints fans will be totally unaware of any tribute and just be mystified at what the Stokies are chanting/clapping about.

Booing will likely follow with Saints fans being accused of not giving a fook. Exactly that happened down here when Villa fans did their Petrov tribute. Who knew what that was all about? When nobody joined in they got all outraged and their messageboards were full of it after.

Good for Stoke fans to respect here all the same.

Unfortunately, 95% of Saints fans will be totally unaware of any tribute and just be mystified at what the Stokies are chanting/clapping about.

True, but it would have been 100% if not for the efforts of the Facebook page and it being posted on here. If this thread results in a little bit more respect for the Stoke fans desire to remember Mabel then that's a good thing right?

True, but it would have been 100% if not for the efforts of the Facebook page and it being posted on here. If this thread results in a little bit more respect for the Stoke fans desire to remember Mabel then that's a good thing right?

Of course, that's why I put...

Good for Stoke fans to respect her all the same.

According to the Stoke Sentinel report, they are still trying to understand what happened. Sounds like you are able to help them with their enquiries, Stevie.

Can you drop a line to amanda.jacks@fsf.org.uk with the above explanation. It wouldn't be right of me to copy paste your words.

The objective is to draw a line under this, as clearly - according to that report - they believe the stewards at St Marys are at fault for not clearing the aisles. Let's clear this up and get the bad blood out of the way.

Seems a few of them are 'seeking justice' , presumably for 'the Mabel 1' . When are they holding their marking of this the 93rd minute ?

As someone else said, got to admire her spirit going to matches, especially away from home at that age. Great shame, and RIP, but I hope Stoke don't go all 'Hillsborough' about this.

I suppose so, but in truth it would just end up in recriminations against the vast bulk of the crowd who wouldn't have a clue what was being clapped/cheered, and the fans who did know affecting an insulted position. Remember the thread about Villa getting all narked about Stilyan Petrov's chant, then shouting "no respect" when nobody here knew what the hell they were on about?

I expect he means milking it for all its worth to an absurd degree.

Indeed. Along with the constant bleating at every opportunity, and playing the 'professional victims' etc etc.

Perhaps her immediate family may have a right to ask a question about their 93 year old mother falling over, but I doubt the good people of Stoke on Trent will see it as a civic duty to join the crusade, and spawn an industry on the back of it.