Our Away Form

View From The Top

huge credit to mopo and the players - great time to be a saints fan for sure

Yet the improvement under MP is a myth?

It's great to have decent away form, and makes more people want to go, when we're not expecting to get beat this year. Hopefully we can win on Saturday as well as the following one! 3 away wins in a row please MP!

This shows it well

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/form-guide.html?tableView=homeAwayTotalComparison

We've won 3 of our last 6 away games and only lost once

We've won 1 in our last 6 at home (although that did include Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs)

Overall we are unbeaten in 6.

Looks like if we could maintain our away form next season and win more home games we would be genuinely threatening 5/6 place?

We can't win 'every game' but 3 points at home from Sunderland, West Ham, Villa and Stoke is a disappointing return in anyone's book, if we'd won any one of those 4 winnable games we would now be sitting at worst in equal 7th with Man U.

Good stuff.

Makes quite a change from "the good old days" when MLT kept us up with some amazing home form and we won only 1, or 2 away all season. I cant remember the stat about how long it was when we would concede first away from home and then automatically go on to lose, except I was there for a lot of them!

We seem to play the same way home and away. It is how the opposition is set up that is our problem at home.

Last night we continuously got to play between the lines and found space all over the pitch as Hull, as the home side, had to attack us rather than sit deep, like say Stoke.

If a team's ambition is to come away from St Marys with a point (unlike say Chelsea or Spuds) then we need a quicker attack.

What frustrates me at home is when we break our player in possession checks back to allow more of our players to join him.

This gives time for teams like Stoke to regroup back behind the ball.

Been spoiled this season. I've only managed to get to 4 aways, but 3 of them were great results. Went to Norwich, Man Utd, Cardiff and Fulham. A great performance and late equaliser at Old Trafford as two 3-0 hammerings is far better than I'd have expected from that lot.

this is our away form

w5

d4

l4

our problem is not beating the lower half teams at home,wet spam,sunderland,villa,

this needs to be rectified and then we can start dreaming

But earlier in the season we were winning home game after home game. Swansea, then Fulham, then Hull if I remember right. But our defence was lock tight back then.

We are still not clicking at home like we were back then. I remember saying about how much of a force we were at home, then it went a bit bad home and away, then better away.

Teams working us out didn't help.

Teams that sit back, like Stoke last week cock us up.

At home, teams like to park the bus and close us down. It makes it very hard to find any openings or space through the middle. Teams that come to St Mary's are often quite happy with a point, so don't set out to attack that vigorously.

Away from home, however, the home side have to show an apatite to win. That opens the game up and allows players like Jay and Adam to express themselves a bit more - Jay particularly has been much more effective away from home, mainly due to his pace on the counter.

Still something we can improve on breaking teams down that sit back. Shame the timing of Gaston's injury as he was starting to look like a missing link to breaking teams down.

We are still not clicking at home like we were back then. I remember saying about how much of a force we were at home, then it went a bit bad home and away, then better away.

Lovren and big Vic still out. Cork is playing well but is a different type of player to big Vic. Also just perhaps our opponents are getting more of a chance to do their homework.

Working us out? Total nonsense.

Most teams struggle to break teams that sit back - has nothing to do with our particular style of play.

Last season, we were easy to break down etc etc, so teams came to SMS and attacked with success.

This year....different story innit.

But I suppose it could be that we played...

Man City

Arsenal

Spurs

Chelsea

With only villa and stoke I would expect to win..... Which we only got a point from.

The 5 game winning home streak was...

Bristol City

Palace

Fulham

Swansea

Hull

The sort of teams you would want at home for a good run.... But then we lost to villa.

Did you watch our game against Arsenal the other night?

But we did not finish them off like Liverpool did!

At the end of the day it was a draw in a game we should have won. There is more than one way to click. We play pretty good football most the time and when we click we score plenty. Hull home, Fulham away.