Plan B

Saint_Tony

Enoigh of all the bull**** threads and trolling nonsense after another defeat. From where I was watching, we dominated the game but with little cutting edge. We limited West Ham to about 4 chances, 3 of which were converted to goals. So what I want to know is, if we perform so badly when playing the ball on the floor against one of the more 'powerful' sides,what is our plan B? Today was an embarassment, makes me wonder what is the point of turning up for a game. Make no mistake, West Ham were awful but they played to their strengths correctly. What are ours?

"No plan B" has been levelled at every single manager we've had for as long as I can remember. It seems to be the go-to criticism when people are unhappy.

Fact is, I can remember us playing a few different ways this season - high pressing, standing off a bit, going long to Lambert, going out wide to the full backs, Rodriguez/Lallana coming deep and then running the ball into the opponents half/final third and then many variations of the above.

Above all else I think our players are given a lot of freedom in what they do in an attacking sense. This is why the likes of Lallana, Shaw and Lambert are (IMO) passed to more than any of our other players, because they're reliable in the amount of chances they create. We don't play a rigid "system A, OK that's not working, try system B".

Having a Plan B wouldn't result in players suddenly converting chances, nor would it result in our back 4 being able to properly defend long balls into the box.

The usual nonsense we get whenever we lose a game. Plan A worked pretty well yesterday as we controlled the game and created plenty of chances. It's up to individual players to cut out errors and put the ball in the net.

Oh no, not the proverbial Plan B again. One of the more irritating football fan cliches - levelled at managers by people who probably wouldn't recognise one if it slapped them in the face. There doesn't seem to be a manager in the world who has one of these mystical plan B's, especially after a loss.

If we have a Plan B it's being more direct as we were in the second half at Fulham. But that doesn't seem to work that well against a packed defence.

Otherwise our options are pretty well using Cork and Ramires as a more attacking and creative combination to Wanyama and Davis, but that is more open and the policy seems to be only to go that way when we're chasing a game.

The big problem is the lack of clinical finishing, which seems to be contagious: Adam, Ricky and Jay were all struggling yesterday.

"No plan B" has been levelled at every single manager we've had for as long as I can remember. It seems to be the go-to criticism when people are unhappy.

Fact is, I can remember us playing a few different ways this season - high pressing, standing off a bit, going long to Lambert, going out wide to the full backs, Rodriguez/Lallana coming deep and then running the ball into the opponents half/final third and then many variations of the above.

Above all else I think our players are given a lot of freedom in what they do in an attacking sense. This is why the likes of Lallana, Shaw and Lambert are (IMO) passed to more than any of our other players, because they're reliable in the amount of chances they create. We don't play a rigid "system A, OK that's not working, try system B".

This pretty much reflects my understanding. Plan A is sufficiently fluid to accommodate different styles of opposition. The plan had very little to with yesterday's defeat where we dominated possession and got more shots on goal. They scored from an offside goal and from a Yoshida error. Their third was an inspirational goal scored against the run of play whilst we were pressing for an equaliser. The high pressing game makes for the most entertaining football I've seen in years so Pleae don't change it for anyone!

He was a fantastic centre half and perhaps unfortunate to have been around when England had quite a few quality centre halves otherwise he'd surely have got a few England caps. Remember him suffering from illness and dizzy spells when he was at spurs which caused him to retire early and it was a real shock to hear he'd died, was it a brain rumour? Lovely fella by all accounts.

RIP Plan B.

Liked him in the Sweeney.