Lallana on echo back page!

Roger

“We feel we have won our own league this year."

I like that. He's right. I hadn't thought about it like that before.

Last year, first season back, we finished 14th. You could say we won our league then too.

There's 2 more mini leagues above us in terms of points; 5th to 7th and of course, the top 4.

Expands on his interview at the awards ceremony..

[edited by admin - please use link to article on Echo website]

Apologies for the edit, but I'll get a load of grief from the Echo if I allow full copy-and-pastes of articles (especially exclusives) from their site.

I don't buy the 'you're deluded if you think x, y, z will stay' stuff. Everyone is different, we don't know how they feel about things. They might be desperate for CL football or not care, they might dream of the big clubs, or might relish the challenge of upsetting the big clubs, they might just really enjoy their life as it is. They want just not be in a big rush. Who knows.

But it's clear it's a big moment for Saints. They either really go for it now, and actually do the unthinkable of challenging the top 6, or the manager and players won't stay. If MP is here in August, it'll be because he truly believes this club can push on and challenge, which would make certain posters very uncomfortable, and probably even more vocal. If he goes and a couple of players do, rather than regrouping and getting behind the new man, they'll post 'I told you so' 7,000 times and we'll all wonder how we didn't spot the insight of 'footballer might leave club' ourselves.

Sorry, but I think they are deluded. It's just people holding on to false hope. As I've said before, if Lallana and Shaw played for Newcastle for example, we'd all be on here saying that they're far too good for them and will move to a bigger club. So why is it that so many posters think they will stay with us?

Sorry, but I think they are deluded. It's just people holding on to false hope. As I've said before, if Lallana and Shaw played for Newcastle for example, we'd all be on here saying that they're far too good for them and will move to a bigger club. So why is it that so many posters think they will stay with us?

Newcastle aren't going anywhere fast. If they played for, say, Everton* I'd say the same as I do of our players.

I think you'd be deluded to expect Lallana and Shaw to stay forever if they keep playing like this. But one more season, maybe two? There's every chance.

*I appreciate Everton are better than us and a bigger club, but they're the closest to our position in terms of promise for the future

We're in much better shape than Newcastle, that's for sure.

Look at Cabaye as an example for them, though. He was clearly too good to stay with them forever and he did leave eventually, but not at the first opportunity. Though I suppose he tried his best...

Looks like Adam has put a figure on the investment needed for him to stay - A min of £100m Quoting the Spurs spend last year

would be nice!!!!

To be fair that was off the back of the sale of their star player.

Newcastle aren't going anywhere fast. If they played for, say, Everton* I'd say the same as I do of our players.

I think you'd be deluded to expect Lallana and Shaw to stay forever if they keep playing like this. But one more season, maybe two? There's every chance.

*I appreciate Everton are better than us and a bigger club, but they're the closest to our position in terms of promise for the future

Agree completely. Sounds like he is open to staying longer(on the proviso that the club shows ambition and tries to press to break into the cadre above). Hope that next year we will be aiming to emulate Everton and compete in the next band. Key summer coming up as to whether we want to be WBA or an Everton.

Agree completely. Sounds like he is open to staying longer(on the proviso that the club shows ambition and tries to press to break into the cadre above). Hope that next year we will be aiming to emulate Everton and compete in the next band. Key summer coming up as to whether we want to be WBA or an Everton.

Well if he thinks we're going to be spending that much then it's very doubtful. Very worried that we are going to go the same way as Villa

This really but back up their ambition and you have a chance, this isnt 20 years ago when you had great players staying at their beloved club. Players want money and trophies and we are a long way behind giving that to them.

Without investment to match the players ambition they will go, and I dont blame them.

Took me a couple of reads before I undertood where the Adam Llanana interview actually kicked in

so which one of you is tasty toasty

and BS is obvioisly Mr Costa or el caballo santos101 or could be both , seeing as he has an altered ego

Why do they refer to adam as Llanana all the time, can they not refer to him as Adam

sounds like the are regurgitating some after the match interview commnets with him that or lazy journalism

Mr Leitch should know better

Good article, nice to hear a bit more detailed clarification from someone at last. It'll be interesting to know what they'd consider adequate investment. I think £30mill plus any money from Osvaldo etc and we could push top 6. That isn't a huge sum for a top half team

Blue and white stripes? Can't see it.

Spot on.

Maybe someone could convince Luke it is in the interest of his career to stay and develop for another year, but Adam at his age needs to go. Put it like this, if he was my son I'd be pushing him to make a move and I speak as a saints fan of 40 years. People bang on about matt , but he didn't go to a world cup, didn't play champions league and hardly opp played for England. Adam is at the top of his game, the right age and has given us his all for a number of seasons. He deserves a crack at the top top level, and sadly that's not us.

Spot on.

Maybe someone could convince Luke it is in the interest of his career to stay and develop for another year, but Adam at his age needs to go. Put it like this, if he was my son I'd be pushing him to make a move and I speak as a saints fan of 40 years. People bang on about matt , but he didn't go to a world cup, didn't play champions league and hardly opp played for England. Adam is at the top of his game, the right age and has given us his all for a number of seasons. He deserves a crack at the top top level, and sadly that's not us.

Hypothetically speaking ... with the same manager, keeping the same players, adding three or four new [quality] additions (GK, CB, 2x forward-types) and some luck in not getting so many injuries (Wanyama, Boruc, Lovren, Jay Rod) ... who is to say that we couldn't "do a Liverpool" next year?

I know I'll get shot down in flames, so it's hypothetically speaking. If they all really believe they can push on, then the next natural step would be surely for the team to crack Europe. Aim for top 4 (!!!!), but hit the top 6.

We can dream, hey? ;)

It's far easier to produce an argument for why he would move rather than stay. He's been with us a long time and has been a great servant, but he owes us nothing. He's been up and down the leagues with us, but surely he will feel he has earnt the opportunity to move onto bigger and better things than 8th placed finishes? I expect big things from him in the World Cup. If that happens, it will be impossible to keep him

Took me a couple of reads before I undertood where the Adam Llanana interview actually kicked in

so which one of you is tasty toasty

and BS is obvioisly Mr Costa or el caballo santos101 or could be both , seeing as he has an altered ego

Why do they refer to adam as Llanana all the time, can they not refer to him as Adam

sounds like the are regurgitating some after the match interview commnets with him that or lazy journalism

Mr Leitch should know better

It's called newspaper style and is designed to get consistency throughout a publication.

And it's a practice throughout the media.

At the first mention of a person's name, you give them their full name, subsequent mentions are surname only.

Have a look at all your other newspapers and also outlets like the BBC.

Addressing somebody continually by their forename appears to be journalism as practiced in the country of Ars Likhan.

American publications do it all the time and it looks really creepy. Surname only says: 'Objectivity' and 'We're not crawling up his backside.'

Ok answer this:

Lallana is the captain, playing the best football of his career to date, team built around him, adored by the fans and an England international. Other than champions league how will he get better anywhere else ? Look at Walcott, is he in a better position than Lallana? What has Walcott won since his "big move"? Has he played in the position he feels is best for him? Is he team captain ? People talk about ambition but why is staying with saints not ambitions IF we keep our manager and key players?

He will play ever game he is fit for and be the first name on the sheet with the armband? Would he get that at a top 4 team ? Probably not.

Look at players who have made these big moves: bridge, downing, a Johnson... I could go on. The big move can back fire and affect your career. Lallana sat on the bench for Liverpool would be a waste as the guy is an amazing talent.

As he said playing football and being happy is important to him and KL could offer him a good wage.