Do You Like the new kit (2014/15 unbranded)?

The9

Opinion on the new 2014/15 home kit  

575 members have voted

1. 1. Opinion on the new 2014/15 home kit

• Like it, will buy it
    • Like it, but won't buy it
    • Don't like it, won't buy it
    • Don't like it, but will buy it anyway
    • Not bothered

Ahh of course, so now it's gone from some people on the ugly to just stu in a post that no longer exists :lol:

Or Maybe he continues to express his disgust along with the rest of the forum in the 'new kit' thread where where in the OP when he called the kit 'nice' or in the next post on the thread where he says 'amazing what a feel good factor respecting our history can give' and everyone else posting agrees it's a nice shirt. '******* smashing' 'best kit in a long time' etc etc not a single negative comment.

Oh no! Let's Ignore those Brett and you keep pretending that people on the ugly don't like the kit because of something to do with cortese. :lol:

I said one or two........which it was, just one

you keep on coming on here and sticking up for your buddy, stubo

I said one or two........which it was, just one

you keep on coming on here and sticking up for your buddy, stubo

I'm not sticking up for him so don't try using that as a get out. I'm saying you're lying which you are. Absolutely no where does stu or anyone else say they don't like the kit, let alone not like it due to Corteses meddling. You lied and you've been pulled up on it.

I'm not sticking up for him so don't try using that as a get out. I'm saying you're lying which you are. Absolutely no where does stu or anyone else say they don't like the kit, let alone not like it due to Corteses meddling. You lied and you've been pulled up on it.

he said it was hideous and said that it was so because Cortese meddled and we had no brand. it is there in that thread.

Not trolling at all......The club have said they want to tap into the growing North American and other international markets and last year was a good start, there was certainly more than a little interest in Saints and we picked up a few new fans.....But i can tell you this for sure....It aint gunna happen looking like TFI Fridays.

It's no coincidence that teams in red and white candy stripes have next to no support over here or pretty much anywhere out side their own local catchment area...even teams like Fulham, Swansea and even the skates have non local support that dwarf all the red and white striped teams put together.

Saints fans may like it because they feel it's traditional and that's what they're used to....But the cold hard truth is, to the neutral with no ties to the City and who's looking for a team to support, it's gash.

Cortese understood this and was prepared to brake with tradition to help the growth of the Club.....Ralph on the other hand......well....

Unless we've ordered extra stock of XXXXXXXXXL it won't matter to the septics anyway.

he said it was hideous and said that it was so because Cortese meddled and we had no brand. it is there in that thread.

Come on Brett stop back tracking. You either making yourself look thick as pig sh*t or a compulsive liar., he said the fake kit posted on twitter was hideous, it is, he also says the training kit is hideous, it is. He wrongly says cortese commissioned the twitter kit which isn't correct although simon peach did say on twitter the other day that was the case. However there is not a single post does he say he or anyone else day they don't like it because of cortese meddling. You're either too thick to understand the difference or lying to make a point that doesn't exist.

as you do, as you run on here sticking up for stubo

I'm not sticking up for Stubo, I'm outing you as a liar. As I have done with him may times before. You had a dig at the UI for no reason and stated something that wasn't true, so stop squealing about it and admit you lied.

I'm not sticking up for Stubo, I'm outing you as a liar. As I have done with him may times before. You had a dig at the UI for no reason and stated something that wasn't true, so stop squealing about it and admit you lied.

ok richard

Wrong. I have American friends who support Saints (who have no ties to the city) and all of them prefer this kit to the all red incarnation. Heritage and tradition is a big thing over there. Nice try for trolling though

My girlfriend is from Minnesota and she and her family prefer last season's all red shirt, so there's another datapoint for you.

The other guy was talking about picking up new fans in the US, so history and tradition wouldn't be important to them as they would be new to the game and not care what it was before.

You do have to admit, to a foreigner with no idea of what came before, the candy stripes do look a little silly.

My girlfriend is from Minnesota and she and her family prefer last season's all red shirt, so there's another datapoint for you.

The other guy was talking about picking up new fans in the US, so history and tradition wouldn't be important to them as they would be new to the game and not care what it was before.

You do have to admit, to a foreigner with no idea of what came before, the candy stripes do look a little silly.

1994_away.jpg

1994_home.jpg

2007_third.jpg

It ought to look quite familiar to Americans, and they also aren't averse to the odd silly shirt....

What's "horrific" about this? Exactly the sort of kit I'd have wanted Saints in if we were still with adidas - if maybe lacking a bit of black.

New-SUFC-Home-Shirt-14-15.jpg

It's dull. Don't like the collar or sleeves. Badge and sponsor look abysmal. Looks like a tyro kit. It's dull.

Not trolling at all......The club have said they want to tap into the growing North American and other international markets and last year was a good start, there was certainly more than a little interest in Saints and we picked up a few new fans.....But i can tell you this for sure....It aint gunna happen looking like TFI Fridays.

It's no coincidence that teams in red and white candy stripes have next to no support over here or pretty much anywhere out side their own local catchment area...even teams like Fulham, Swansea and even the skates have non local support that dwarf all the red and white striped teams put together.

Saints fans may like it because they feel it's traditional and that's what they're used to....But the cold hard truth is, to the neutral with no ties to the City and who's looking for a team to support, it's gash.

Cortese understood this and was prepared to brake with tradition to help the growth of the Club.....Ralph on the other hand......well....

Complete Troll? Or just a bit daft?

Chivas USA, for example, who play in red and white stripes, have next to no support? Really?

Hmm. Think before you post (pontificate). Or risk being considered a troll.

Chivas USA, for example, who play in red and white stripes, have next to no support? Really?

Not to mention all the Chivas (Guadalajara) fans in California.

Oh, and I chose Saints, I had no Southampton ties before 1990 and I absolutely wouldn't want us to play in a plain coloured kit at the expense of stripes. The kit had little bearing on that initial decision though, so I regard it as a total red (and white?) herring.

LOL...Thanks for proving my point...Chivas USA, the one team in the MLS that plays in red and white stripes has by far the lowest support. So bad in fact, there's talk of taking some pretty drastic action.

Wrong. I have American friends who support Saints (who have no ties to the city) and all of them prefer this kit to the all red incarnation. Heritage and tradition is a big thing over there. Nice try for trolling though

Ah, so you have a couple of friends in a country of 300 million and from that you think you understand the the heartbeat of a Nation?

Silly boy

LOL...Thanks for proving my point...Chivas USA, the one team in the MLS that plays in red and white stripes has by far the lowest support. So bad in fact, there's talk of taking some pretty drastic action.

Why an American team would play in Red and White I don't know....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNk_vouSNOm-Jq9rF-7m9B-Ui58XRWtrGZLG7XR-dQF4JQDdBNIw

As per your prior comments. Despite having never lived in Southampton and having spent over 2 thirds of my life outside of Hampshire I support our club. I hold the stripes dear as a symbol of our identity, as do the other Saints fans I see from time to time in the west midlands. I see no less of an external support for our club compared to any other of our station.

Edited by Colinjb

I watch a lot of american tv and you hardly ever see people walking around wearing red/white vertical stripes. Saint George is deffo right about this, it is just not considered gd fashion in America, except the occasional weirdo like Uncle Sam & pamplemousse friends.

Edit: On the other hand I have heard mostly positive feedback about this kit, including from my Mum & she is Merican and when I showed her she didn't have bad word to say. She said "whatever". The only people I've heard definitely against it are all the posters on Ugly Inside, I've heard that they all hate it just because they associate it with cortese :mcinnes:

Edited by Bearsy

Ah, so you have a couple of friends in a country of 300 million and from that you think you understand the the heartbeat of a Nation?

Silly boy

Ralph has identified our target market and their heartbeat is irregular:

fat-packer-fan-1.jpg

I suspect if I asked my American friends if the colour of the kit was a factor in their choice of English team, they'd assume I was taking the p1ss. I shall ask.

My sample will be 2, and they're both Spurs fans.

Chivas USA are a real crappy team who get a lot of bad press for their hiring/firing practices (they supposedly only hire Mexicans, no Gringos). Their lack of support has nothing to do with stripes.

Stripes are common in American sports, look at the Yankees. My local and favorite baseball team have donned red and white stripes since the early 1900s (see below).

San+Diego+Padres+v+Philadelphia+Phillies+A9-LATIO6aHl.jpg

In fact stripes come in many more varieties in American sports, I point you to my NFL team below.

Cincinnati-Bengals-Giovani-Bernard.jpg

Moral of the story, stripes, or lack thereof, have no bearing on the outcome of a professional sporting event. Second, Americans get confused with the kit changes every year. American teams keep the same uniforms for decades so I wouldn't interpret what a few people prefer in color to be indicative of how well a team will be received in that country.

I love the fact you have clearly had to look that up first, and have just skimmed the first article you found on the interwebs. No actual knowledge of your own.

I remember another conversation on this here forum where you continually made me ponder; is this fella a troll or just a bit thick?

Answer: just a bit thick. Not your fault George, we can't all be blessed with IQs above 70, bless you.

Walked past the store in West Quay this afternoon and had a look at it close up. Looks smart and most importantly, looks like a Saints kit.

I like the diagonal striped detail on the red stripes. They've got it just about right, simple stripes, no messing around with fancy collars or anything and back to the normal badge. Only thing against it is that the material looks a little plasticky and cheap but that's just from looking at it; it might be better once its actually on your back.

Not sure about the socks though..

1994_away.jpg

It ought to look quite familiar to Americans, and they also aren't averse to the odd silly shirt....

I can guarantee you that if you took any random sample of 100 Americans:

- at least 95% of them would say they have never seen the shirt pictured above (indeed any of the 3 you pictured)

- at least 90% of them (probably higher) would never have heard of Chivas USA, let alone know what they wear

I can guarantee you that if you took any random sample of 100 Americans:

- at least 95% of them would say they have never seen the shirt pictured above (indeed any of the 3 you pictured)

- at least 90% of them (probably higher) would never have heard of Chivas USA, let alone know what they wear

78% of statistics are made up on the spot. Or something.

Apart from your predicted results of a randomised sample being, well, made up, I think you are probably right that only around 1 in 10 Americans are that aware of Soccer!

So what's your point?

We were talking about those 10%. (Maybe some on the fringes). How many of those 10, who follow the MLS and the national side, would have heard of Chivas AND seen the national wobbly red shirt?

I'll accept your made up figures as your previous guesses seem about right to me. :-)

Actually, 1 in 10 is about 30m people. That's far too high surely? That would make soccer more popular in the USA than football is in the UK? Whilst pondering this, I did a Google.

This is a great little article that looks at some Reuters research.

Please understand I am not in disagreement with your reposte; I think this is genuinely interesting.

(Although the "Americans don't like red and white stripes" 'argument' is just mental of course!)

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/2014/04/americans-care-soccer.html

Aha. still sent from my effing nexus 4, but I have found the setting now dammit.

78% of statistics are made up on the spot. Or something.

Apart from your predicted results of a randomised sample being, well, made up, I think you are probably right that only around 1 in 10 Americans are that aware of Soccer!

So what's your point?

We were talking about those 10%. (Maybe some on the fringes). How many of those 10, who follow the MLS and the national side, would have heard of Chivas AND seen the national wobbly red shirt?

I'll accept your made up figures as your previous guesses seem about right to me. :-)

If an American follows the MLS closely enough to be aware what color Chivas USA play in, they will not be in the market for an EPL team. They will already have one. Guaranteed.

If we are trying to pick up new fans in the US, then it will be from the 90+% who had little more than a passing interest in soccer previously but are now getting into it. And there are a lot of people in that bucket, especially with the recent NBC deal last season meaning every single EPL game is now on TV here, and bars really getting behind it too. Add to that a very successful world cup campaign which has made major headlines across the country and Tim Howard now being a household name. The new NYCFC and Miami franchises next season will also garner further support for the game in under-served areas (Red Bulls is a long trip into New Jersey, before you fall into that trap).

To them, the red and white stripes will look a bit silly. It may not put them off, but it will look somewhat odd to them and remind them more of a barbershop quartet. It's simply not a recognisable sports jersey over here. And it is a bit garish, when nobody around you understands what it is. I cannot think of a single recognizable US team which plays in equal-width stripes (not pinstripes, not tiger-stripes) in any sports, other than the referees. I follow MLS somewhat and I didn't know the Chivas shirt.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like these shirts. But don't think because a handful of MLS nuts in a corner of California support a team in red and white stripes that the rest of the country will embrace them. Being totally honest, I don't particularly like wearing the stripes "out-and-about", whereas I was happy to do so with the sash or pinstripe shirts as I felt they could substitute as casual tops when the situation was right. Now ask yourself whether a new supporter is going to fork out £50 for a shirt they are not likely to wear.

If an American follows the MLS closely enough to be aware what color Chivas USA play in, they will not be in the market for an EPL team. They will already have one. Guaranteed.

If we are trying to pick up new fans in the US, then it will be from the 90+% who had little more than a passing interest in soccer previously but are now getting into it. And there are a lot of people in that bucket, especially with the recent NBC deal last season meaning every single EPL game is now on TV here, and bars really getting behind it too. Add to that a very successful world cup campaign which has made major headlines across the country and Tim Howard now being a household name. The new NYCFC and Miami franchises next season will also garner further support for the game in under-served areas (Red Bulls is a long trip into New Jersey, before you fall into that trap).

To them, the red and white stripes will look a bit silly. It may not put them off, but it will look somewhat odd to them and remind them more of a barbershop quartet. It's simply not a recognisable sports jersey over here. And it is a bit garish, when nobody around you understands what it is. I cannot think of a single recognizable US team which plays in equal-width stripes (not pinstripes, not tiger-stripes) in any sports, other than the referees. I follow MLS somewhat and I didn't know the Chivas shirt.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like these shirts. But don't think because a handful of MLS nuts in a corner of California support a team in red and white stripes that the rest of the country will embrace them. Being totally honest, I don't particularly like wearing the stripes "out-and-about", whereas I was happy to do so with the sash or pinstripe shirts as I felt they could substitute as casual tops when the situation was right. Now ask yourself whether a new supporter is going to fork out £50 for a shirt they are not likely to wear.

But if we didn't have red and white shirts, and had the revolutionary and forward thinking plain red strips from last season, do you think a significant portion of the 90% would then embrace Southampton?

Of course they wouldn't. If and when that 90% decide to follow EPL football, then they will follow the top six clubs. The basic rules of brand size/market share will apply. And, funnily enough there are already three of that top six wearing revolutionary forward thinking plain red.

Basically the point is we don't need to adapt our kit to revolutionary forward thinking plain red. We will only ever be a niche proposition in overseas markets anyway and the only factor that will build that niche is winning stuff, playing well.

Whoring our identity and history for some shred of acceptance from people that frankly don't give a s hit is the football branding equivalent of what that pis sed up dopey cow in Magaluf decided was a good idea last weekend.

Nice points gents. I don't disagree with any of this.

I really like the new shirt, I love the fact it is a return to stripes. But I was never that upset it was plain red (in fact, our willingness as a club over the years to embrace different combinations of red n white is maybe a bit different and sort of saintly. The sash kit is one of my favourite football shirts ever).

I am a sad kit obsessive and collect the things, but you (Dean) are right there are some kits I wouldn't wear out n about. Red and White Stripes is one of those colour combos. - I don't think that is unique to Americans!

Although the fact their flag is predominantly red n white does suggest they don't HATE it.

By the same token I do not feel the stripes will put a wavering sports fan off and would suggest that maybe, because it is a less common sports shirt in the states, it may even pique ones interest when it seen on the big screens out if four or five live games being show in one sports bar!

As The9 says hardly anyone outside the club gives a toss. Why should they! And I agree, I am glad we do.

Sports psychology is one thing (red shirts win more - fact) but attracting new fans based purely on kit colour is a load of old nonsense! Which was why I waged in against George. He was making a nonsense point that was easy to dismiss (not counter, dismiss) by mentioning just one team.

Can we put this to bed now; or else we might wind up wearing orange and purple kits for all our US televised games n stuff!?

Aha. still sent from my effing nexus 4, but I have found the setting now dammit.