Jack Stephens

saintedwill

The reports I've seen are suggesting a season long loan, in which case I can't really see him having much future at Saints. I'd have thought he'd be threatening a first team place by now, especially since centre back is one of our weakest positions in terms of depth. I'd have thought that after a (by the sounds of it) very successful loan spell at Swindon last season we'd look to loan him out to a championship team until Christmas and then hope that he can come back and challenge for a start in our team in the latter half of the season if he did well again.

There was quite a buzz when Jack Stephens came here rather than join one of several other suitors, being seen as a very exciting young prospect. Things have moved on quite a bit since his arrival, the quality standard needed now even to get a sniff of first team action must be so much higher than it was then so maybe the potential seen in him at the time might have been OK for everything foreseen at the time but may not have been at the level we expect these days. Or, perhaps sadly maybe he just hasn't developed as hoped, after all it is asking a lot of any teenager to dedicate his life solely to football to the exclusion of everything else year-after-year?

For every greedy UHOA youngster like Luke Shaw there must be ten kids like Jack who never catch the eye of the boss for one reason or another to make that final big step forward to better things. Sad for him although Swindon probably is a lot better than a return to Sunday League or Plymouth Argyle. Good luck, lad.

Centre backs take time and a season of regular footy won't hurt!

This. He plays in a position where players tend to be older with a lot of experience before they reach their best. You can only really get experience playing so this move is a good thing.

Didn't Les Read say that he didn't favour loaning out players?

This, he said why would they trust another club to develop our younger players when we invest so heavily in it.

He did say there were some circumstances where it could be beneficial and I suppose centre backs & goalkeepers benefit from competitive game time more than any other positions, however, may suggest he's not developed as they would have hoped.