Squad cohesion and a Dutch clique

DuncanRG

As we all know, we have a great group of lads in our squad. New players always seem to get a warm welcome and team spirit seemed to play a big part in our success last year.

Is there a chance that lingering resentment over sales - particularly if players like Jose Fonte feel it - combined with recruitment of mostly Dutch players, could threaten that cohesion by forming distinct groups or cliques within the squad?

I would never expect things to become as bad as they are/were at other clubs with clique problems (Newcastle or Swansea), but I do worry that the squad won't share the same common endeavour as they did last season.

As we all know, we have a great group of lads in our squad. New players always seem to get a warm welcome and team spirit seemed to play a big part in our success last year.

Is there a chance that lingering resentment over sales - particularly if players like Jose Fonte feel it - combined with recruitment of mostly Dutch players, could threaten that cohesion by forming distinct groups or cliques within the squad?

I would never expect things to become as bad as they are/were at other clubs with clique problems (Newcastle or Swansea), but I do worry that the squad won't share the same common endeavour as they did last season.

Jos Hooiveld is our only Dutch player, and he appears to be extremely popular among the squad.

Strange that the squad unity last season was so good under an Argentinian Manager and an Italian Chairman. Hooiveld is Dutch and is reputedly one of the best liked players among his mates. The two players brought in by Koeman so far from Holland are Italian and Serbian. Actual Dutch players mentioned are from teams like Celtic and Aston Villa, so presumably they are capable of integrating well enough into British teams. Surely a team containing several players of the same nationality is more likely to be able to have harmony than one containing several diverse cultural differences and languages.

I should have been clear that this is a hypothetical if we sign the linked players. After Forster and Kolo they're almost all Dutch: Vlaar, Van Dijk, De Vrij, Clasie, Fer.

We won't get them all but it might have an effect. If this dynamic does emerge I trust Koeman to manage it far more effectively than Pardew or Laudrup did.

Edited by DuncanRG

Gross generalisation, but the Dutch are no way near as bad at forming cliques as say the French.

If you mean cliques are less of a problem with Dutch football than with French football, then aside from being a gross generalisation, and hypothetical in regard to Saints, there is evidence in a number of tournaments of Dutch squads forming cliques and failing.

If you mean cliques are less of a problem with Dutch football than with French football, then aside from being a gross generalisation, and hypothetical in regard to Saints, there is evidence in a number of tournaments of Dutch squads forming cliques and failing.

No, my generalisation was more at a national level. But granted, the Dutch national side is well known for usually ripping itself apart internally, and it was refreshing to see it not happening in Brazil.

Pelle and Tadic out. How dare they create such an awful internal atmosphere, the press is awash with the **** they have been stirring. Its clear that Lallana and lambert left because of this horrible pair treating them badly in the dressing room.

This thread amongst many others at the moment is Golden mong.

Van Gaal had a Dutch clique at Barca. The main problem was that they used to speak Dutch at training, in the dressing room etc. It, unsurprisingly, alienated Spanish (and other) players.

Seems less likely to happen at Saints given that any new Dutch guys are likely to speak decent enough English and, unless there is a huge influx, will be in the minority anyway. Look how good the English of Pelle and Tadic is in their interviews (and they're not even Dutch).

I don't think it will be a problem. More important to get the right sort of person than worry about their nationality.

I'm more concerned about the possibility of there being disharmony within the ranks from players wanting to move on and unsettling the new players.

As we have already lost three with another five or more looking to go there must be a load of negativity flying about.