Ambition, optimism and opportunity

Pwoite

Whilst one game is too early to make too many assumptions, but here goes....

We should be comfortable this season

The squad is probably as good as last season's was, overall

We have more depth this season

We might be too lightweight in front of goal

Not many other PL teams look like overtaking us this season

Can we therefore finish eighth again? And, if we do, can we then push on from there or will we go into meltdown again next summer with another generation tapped up by the top six? Will the top clubs have to always dismantle potential challengers to ensure their own status is preserved?

Can we therefore finish eighth again? And, if we do, can we then push on from there or will we go into meltdown again next summer with another generation tapped up by the top six? Will the top clubs have to always dismantle potential challengers to ensure their own status is preserved?

One game is very hard to make predictions off the back of - just two seasons ago we went to the Ethiad and performed well despite a loss but that was the start of 4pts from 10 games. I'm not saying that will happen this season by any stretch of the imagination - far from it, but just that one game is not a fair way to make any bold predictions. That said, it is far better to lose performing as we did than by capitulating.

I was pleasantly surprised - although I do think Liverpool played poorly. We deserve some credit for that too but they did look rusty - its a shame we couldn't take our chances.

If we can consolidate and finish mid-table I think it will be a fine season.

One game is very hard to make predictions off the back of - just two seasons ago we went to the Ethiad and performed well despite a loss but that was the start of 4pts from 10 games. I'm not saying that will happen this season by any stretch of the imagination - far from it, but just that one game is not a fair way to make any bold predictions. That said, it is far better to lose performing as we did than by capitulating.

I was pleasantly surprised - although I do think Liverpool played poorly. We deserve some credit for that too but they did look rusty - its a shame we couldn't take our chances.

If we can consolidate and finish mid-table I think it will be a fine season.

On Saturday we aren't under dogs and frankly we will be expected to win. Let's see how that goes.

I think we will win, by the way, but that game will be a better measure than yesterday. And sure we can finish 8th, but maybe not the runaway 8th of last year.

On Saturday we aren't under dogs and frankly we will be expected to win. Let's see how that goes.

I think we will win, by the way, but that game will be a better measure than yesterday. And sure we can finish 8th, but maybe not the runaway 8th of last year.

I think we saw That Money buys You Players, but not a team.

They seemed to play pretty well as a team against last year's runners up. Or were you referring to Liverpool? OK a few speculative through balls that weren't read and which will succeed when the players have established more of an understanding of each others' play, but otherwise a very competent team performance from us and our new players. I have had a happy few minutes reading some of the comments about how good we were from the Liverpool fans' forum, especially our midfield, which they acknowledge dominated theirs for most of the match.

They seemed to play pretty well as a team against last year's runners up. Or were you referring to Liverpool? OK a few speculative through balls that weren't read and which will succeed when the players have established more of an understanding of each others' play, but otherwise a very competent team performance from us and our new players. I have had a happy few minutes reading some of the comments about how good we were from the Liverpool fans' forum, especially our midfield, which they acknowledge dominated theirs for most of the match.

Money buys players; managers make teams.

On the evidence so far, I’m optimistic that Koeman is more than up to the task, but like CB Fry says, we’ll have a much better picture come 5pm next Saturday, and an even clearer one as the season progresses.

Early days, yes, but right now I’m feeling fairly confident we can match last season’s finish.

Money buys players; managers make teams.

On the evidence so far, I’m optimistic that Koeman is more than up to the task, but like CB Fry says, we’ll have a much better picture come 5pm next Saturday, and an even clearer one as the season progresses.

Early days, yes, but right now I’m feeling fairly confident we can match last season’s finish.

Interestingly money has bought us players that look as though they might be a team. Maybe it's the bigger the deal, the bigger the ego.

I find it amusing the press angle on lots of new comers. Liverpool will take time to gel to become an effective unit but will challenge for the top. Southampton have no chance of repeating last season and will struggle/relegation. One thing seems to have been overlooked in all of this and that is the manager. While it has been widely reported in the press that MP had some strong bonds with the players (although not so widely reported is/was the attitude to those outside the clique), I feel that the press are being somewhat disrespectful to RK and his abilities. As I am not on the ground, I cannot do anything but make suppositions, but he seems to have done a pretty good job so far on the team building front and I hope that this can be carried through for the rest of the season.

Interestingly money has bought us players that look as though they might be a team. Maybe it's the bigger the deal, the bigger the ego.

I find it amusing the press angle on lots of new comers. Liverpool will take time to gel to become an effective unit but will challenge for the top. Southampton have no chance of repeating last season and will struggle/relegation. One thing seems to have been overlooked in all of this and that is the manager. While it has been widely reported in the press that MP had some strong bonds with the players (although not so widely reported is/was the attitude to those outside the clique), I feel that the press are being somewhat disrespectful to RK and his abilities. As I am not on the ground, I cannot do anything but make suppositions, but he seems to have done a pretty good job so far on the team building front and I hope that this can be carried through for the rest of the season.

Not sure about the validity of that at all - you see that being true somebody should tell Real Madrid, Barca, Juve, Chelsea, Man U , Man City, Inter, AC Milan, Bayern, indeed any team that has consistently won the major trophies over the last 60 or so years that they wasted Billions upon Billions

Not sure about the validity of that at all - you see that being true somebody should tell Real Madrid, Barca, Juve, Chelsea, Man U , Man City, Inter, AC Milan, Bayern, indeed any team that has consistently won the major trophies over the last 60 or so years that they wasted Billions upon Billions

Both sides that required time to gel, Man City especially when the money really started flowing in. Equally the funds that Real Madrid have spent in recent times have only just started coming to fruition again, their Galactico years didn't reap the rewards expected and for the past 6-7 years they were firmly behind a Barcelona side underpinned by a core of players who had been together for years.

Money is no certainty of success. It certainly helps, of course resources do but it's not the be all and end all, it must be used intelligently.

In the context of our game yesterday it was extremely heartening that our team has appeared to come back together quickly, in time I just hope our forwards learn each other's game. That was one of our strengths last season, our core of players that know each other and could read how best to react as a team. Picking the stars out of there and putting them into an unfamiliar system will need time, there is no certainty they will be able to replicate the same type of form in one team as they did in another.

Edited by Colinjb

Both sides that required time to gel, Man City especially when the money really started flowing in. Equally the funds that Real Madrid have spent in recent times have only just started coming to fruition again, their Galactico years didn't reap the rewards expected and for the past 6-7 years they were firmly behind a Barcelona side underpinned by a core of players who had been together for years.

Money is no certainty of success. It certainly helps, of course resources do but it's not the be all and end all, it must be used intelligently.

In the context of our game yesterday it was extremely heartening that our team has appeared to come back together quickly, in time I just hope our forwards learn each other's game. That was one of our strengths last season, our core of players that know each other and could read how best to react as a team. Picking the stars out of there and putting them into an unfamiliar system will need time, there is no certainty they will be able to replicate the same type of form in one team as they did in another.

Edited by Colinjb

My comments :

We should be comfortable this season - AGREE

The squad is probably as good as last season's was, overall - DISAGREE

We have more depth this season - AGREE, except CB

We might be too lightweight in front of goal - AGREE, but very early days for Pelle

Not many other PL teams look like overtaking us this season - MAYBE

Can we therefore finish eighth again? And, if we do, can we then push on from there or will we go into meltdown again next summer with another generation tapped up by the top six? Will the top clubs have to always dismantle potential challengers to ensure their own status is preserved? Anywhere between 8th and 15th, I reckon. If we end up 8th we will lose players again. JWP and Clyne, for example. and its early days to trust the newbies to honour their contracts..

My comments :

We should be comfortable this season - AGREE

The squad is probably as good as last season's was, overall - DISAGREE

We have more depth this season - AGREE, except CB

We might be too lightweight in front of goal - AGREE, but very early days for Pelle

Not many other PL teams look like overtaking us this season - MAYBE

Can we therefore finish eighth again? And, if we do, can we then push on from there or will we go into meltdown again next summer with another generation tapped up by the top six? Will the top clubs have to always dismantle potential challengers to ensure their own status is preserved? Anywhere between 8th and 15th, I reckon. If we end up 8th we will lose players again. JWP and Clyne, for example. and its early days to trust the newbies to honour their contracts..

I think the team is pretty good and the squad depth by the time the transfer window shuts will be stronger than last season. My worry is goals! we don't really have an out and out goal scorer now Lambert has gone. I know we've got JRod to come back in and Tadic will probably replace Lallana's contribution but I cant see Pelle and long scoring enough to get us a top half finish.

I think the team is pretty good and the squad depth by the time the transfer window shuts will be stronger than last season. My worry is goals! we don't really have an out and out goal scorer now Lambert has gone. I know we've got JRod to come back in and Tadic will probably replace Lallana's contribution but I cant see Pelle and long scoring enough to get us a top half finish.

Right ! one swallow doesn't make a summer, or the first result to be an indication of form for the season. If we play that well in future, we'll get some good football and many points to boot.

Right ! one swallow doesn't make a summer, or the first result to be an indication of form for the season. If we play that well in future, we'll get some good football and many points to boot.

In the context of our game yesterday it was extremely heartening that our team has appeared to come back together quickly, in time I just hope our forwards learn each other's game. That was one of our strengths last season, our core of players that knew each other and could read how best to react as a team. Picking the stars out of there and putting them into an unfamiliar system will need time, there is no certainty they will be able to replicate the same type of form in one team as they did in another.

Whether they, Chelsea and Man City required time to gel or not is really not the point, what is the point is that after massive spending sprees they sit at the summit of football and if they did take time to gel we are talking what - at the most a season or so? They were both yo-yo teams prior to the Big Spend. Chelsea had not won the title for 50 years and then they'd won it just the once in their entire history, and never looked like doing so for another 50 years. Roman came along spent £900 million [Total spend] and they are now a major force in World Football - more or less the same blueprint applies to City.

Real Madrid whose "main 11", note not their entire squad - fielded against Sevilla last week - cost £368 Million, are and remain, the MOST successful team in the whole of football history and also of course are the biggest spenders in football history. And as the facts inform us all the major trophies consistently go to the big spenders. These are the facts. Sure this or that can be brought to the table - it always is - AND maybe Real went two seasons or whatever without a major trophy or whatever else BUT they then spend massively again [as they do] and voila! They are King Dicks of European and World footy again. I wish it wasn't so but the facts overwhelmingly state that the Major Football trophies consistently go to the teams that spend the most, hence teams that "can" do spend Big in order to stay among the elite or get into a position whence they can dine at their table.

As for the Saints well yesterday was just one game which no matter what they lost [seems harsh I know]. Before we can adjudge anything pertinent a number of games have to be played. There is no doubt in my mind that had the Saints been able to keep hold of the players who left and then added to that squad some seriously quality, then they may well have seriously challenged for a Top 4 position and half the Threads on this Forum would be unnecessary, since many of them are concerned where Saints are going to end up and of course deal in the main with the players who left the club. Time will tell all but I am loathe to say at this juncture the Saints will do well - when with the players they had [prior to selling] that idea would have been totally redundant and the main question then to be answered would have been "will the Saints crack the Top 4 this season?"

In essence to sum up - IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY HONEY.

Edited by ENSKIED

In the context of our game yesterday it was extremely heartening that our team has appeared to come back together quickly, in time I just hope our forwards learn each other's game. That was one of our strengths last season, our core of players that knew each other and could read how best to react as a team. Picking the stars out of there and putting them into an unfamiliar system will need time, there is no certainty they will be able to replicate the same type of form in one team as they did in another.

Whether they, Chelsea and Man City required time to gel or not is really not the point, what is the point is that after massive spending sprees they sit at the summit of football and if they did take time to gel we are talking what - at the most a season or so? They were both yo-yo teams prior to the Big Spend. Chelsea had not won the title for 50 years and then they'd won it just the once in their entire history, and never looked like doing so for another 50 years. Roman came along spent £900 million [Total spend] and they are now a major force in World Football - more or less the same blueprint applies to City.

Real Madrid whose "main 11", note not their entire squad - fielded against Sevilla last week - cost £368 Million, are and remain, the MOST successful team in the whole of football history and also of course are the biggest spenders in football history. And as the facts inform us all the major trophies consistently go to the big spenders. These are the facts. Sure this or that can be brought to the table - it always is - AND maybe Real went two seasons or whatever without a major trophy or whatever else BUT they then spend massively again [as they do] and voila! They are King Dicks of European and World footy again. I wish it wasn't so but the facts overwhelmingly state that the Major Football trophies consistently go to the teams that spend the most, hence teams that "can" do spend Big in order to stay among the elite or get into a position whence they can dine at their table.

As for the Saints well yesterday was just one game which no matter what they lost [seems harsh I know]. Before we can adjudge anything pertinent a number of games have to be played. There is no doubt in my mind that had the Saints been able to keep hold of the players who left and then added to that squad some seriously quality, then they may well have seriously challenged for a Top 4 position and half the Threads on this Forum would be unnecessary, since many of them are concerned where Saints are going to end up and of course deal in the main with the players who left the club. Time will tell all but I am loathe to say at this juncture the Saints will do well - when with the players they had [prior to selling] that idea would have been totally redundant and the main question then to be answered would have been "will the Saints crack the Top 4 this season?"

In essence to sum up - IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY HONEY.

Edited by ENSKIED

From what I saw against Liverpool, I'd guess we might finish 10th - 14th.

If our forwards can gel, perhaps with another addition, we might better that, but only if our defence can be as tight as it was last season. Hopefully Gardos will be able to influence that as well as Lovren did, but that's a very tall order, and I'd be happier if we splashed out on another top notch CB. If we got all that right, I think it'd be possible that we'll finish as high as 6th.

Either way, I've got a feeling in my water that we're destined to win a cup this year. No reasoning or logic to that, I just feel that we will!

I agree with the general sentiment.

We SHOULD be ok.

We COULD finish as high as 9th/10th with a couple more players.

We WOULD be better placed to make a judgement on this in early September.

We MUST reinforce by bringing in another PL quality CB, a right sided midfielder/winger and must look critically at our striking options, whilst encouraging them (it's early days after all for Pelle and Long*).

[* I still think we are one capable striker short, offload Mayuka and take a punt on someone else - it's a gamble worth taking. At best you get a surprise package at worst you get another Mayuka. What's more, it would allow us to send Gallagher on loan to a Championship team with a coach who can work on his technical skills. I am not convinced we will see Jay Rod back to himself before late November, if we see him at all.]

What's more, it would allow us to send Gallagher on loan to a Championship team with a coach who can work on his technical skills. ]

Why would a Championship team possess the level of coach to hone Gallagher's technical skills and we wouldn't? OK, he would possibly improve by playing regular first team football, albeit at a lower level, but I just don't see that coaching comes into it much.

Why would a Championship team possess the level of coach to hone Gallagher's technical skills and we wouldn't? OK, he would possibly improve by playing regular first team football, albeit at a lower level, but I just don't see that coaching comes into it much.

You answered your own question. Playing competitively versus bench warming if he's lucky is a given for any loan. My point is when selecting where he should go we need to spot someone who can improve his technical ability the most.

Just as pointless using the very first game as an indicator for the season as it was writing us off as relegation candidates just because the team handt had time to gel. It will probably have thrown the bedwetters that we didnt lose 4 or 5 nil and that the club hasnt been sold yet. The club said clearly they intended to move forward and this game has shown that to be the case. Still probably a couple of players shy of where we need to be but the ship has been steadied and we should kick on from here. Well done to RK and to the squad. A worthy start to the season.

I think coaching is very important. Look at the progress that JRod made. Also playing regularly in competitive matches. If he doesnt get many games with us I'd liketo see him go to a decent Championship side for a bit.

You answered your own question. Playing competitively versus bench warming if he's lucky is a given for any loan. My point is when selecting where he should go we need to spot someone who can improve his technical ability the most.

Derby would be a good shout.

McClaren, for all his detractors, did a cracking job there last season and got some very impressive performances out of some young players. Notably, Will Hughes (granted the boy is very talented regardless of coach) and Bamford.

There is is a very fine line between winning and losing games at this level. The loss of so much quality will have an effect as we go through the season. Would we have won on Sunday if we have retained the side from last season?

There is is a very fine line between winning and losing games at this level. The loss of so much quality will have an effect as we go through the season. Would we have won on Sunday if we have retained the side from last season?
In realm of probabilities and educated guesswork - Yes.

Why would a Championship team possess the level of coach to hone Gallagher's technical skills and we wouldn't?

OK, he would possibly improve by playing regular first team football, albeit at a lower level, but I just don't see that coaching comes into it much.

Correct!.looking at the "loans" (for the Academy lads) we've made in the past, the majority of managers only used them as an extra *rse on the bench and maybe play them in the last 10 minutes.

Lloyd Isgrove got some good playing time in his loan to Peterborough (last season) but I really didn't expect to see him playing in a Saints shirt again, but Koeman does.

Loan outs are a good idea (in theory)....as long as the player gets game time.....otherwise it must be pretty depressing to sit on an L1 bench....even after playing U21 games at our training ground.

As you say, a very fine line between winning and losing and we could have won that match as it was, but for some good goalkeeping from Mignolet. Had Rodriguez been as fit as he was last season, that alone would have made it quite likely that we would have beaten them on the performance they put in, even without our last year's players.