The Scottish Independence referendum

pap

The pound Stirling is from errrmmm Stirling. The bank of England was created by a Scottish banker. I would say they have as fair a claim as anyone to the currency.

I've honestly never heard that, I thought it was derived from an old Anglo-saxon word meaning "silver star" or something similar.

May I just take this opportunity before the result is announced to say that I had never actually visited Scotland (apart from a 4 day conference in Edinburgh) so back in May my wife and I spent 9 days driving up to the top of Scotland and staying around the edges visiting Inverness, John O'Groats, Orkney, Outer and Inner Hebrides amongst others and we found the people delightful and charming, the scenery magnificent and the whole experience a remarkable eye-opener. 2000 miles in total but well worth it and I recommend anyone to pay it a visit if they haven't before.

investigations of fraud in glasgow - police are involved

10 reports so far

pap, adam boulton is miles better. he does not have to be as impartial and pushes them more than the BBC do...watch Sky News

nearly all of the YES lot being interviewed seem to be a bit resigning about it all and playing down their chances. Salmond has cancelled his visit to a count and wont go to any through the night

Edited by Batman

May I just take this opportunity before the result is announced to say that I had never actually visited Scotland (apart from a 4 day conference in Edinburgh) so back in May my wife and I spent 9 days driving up to the top of Scotland and staying around the edges visiting Inverness, John O'Groats, Orkney, Outer and Inner Hebrides amongst others and we found the people delightful and charming, the scenery magnificent and the whole experience a remarkable eye-opener. 2000 miles in total but well worth it and I recommend anyone to pay it a visit if they haven't before.

Nice.

We did a Grand Tour of Britain back in 2008 and the Scottish part was ace. Very similar route to you but we didn't get to the islands, unless Skye counts! Would also recommend it above almost any other road trip choice!

Got to see ICT and St.Miran play out an almost comically stereotypical dull and awful 0-0 draw in the ****ing rain. Perfect really.

The yes were so confidence of winning Orkney. I have a lot of friends who are yes voters but equally we have some real yes numpties . I wasn't expecting such a big majority for the no vote . This post comes direct from Kirkwall

The Yes were confident of Orkney?! Who have you been talking to? Orkney is solid Lib Dem area and was always going to be decidedly No.

The eastern island territories were always going to vote No, that's been set in stone for a while. Will be interesting to see how Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee vote as they're the ones where there seems to have been a lot of groundswell for Yes although it does seem to be leaning quite heavily towards No from the snippets we've heard so far.

That's that then.

Can there be another referendum any time soon, or is that it?

Thats it, I reckon.

Westminster will give them a few more powers like an owner throws a bone to a dog.

By the time this gets anywhere near being on the table again (reckon 10 yrs), reduction in oil reserves will make Scotland even more unviable than it is now.

Laughing at Pie-Face and Wee Jimmy Krankie, but recognise the whinging and blaming the English for everything wont stop.... :(

How long before AS trots out the "if it wasn't for the institutional bullying tactics of Westminster" mantra?

I've already heard one of his acolytes trot that line out on Sky News. Along with Class War crap about the poor of Glasgow vs the rich land owners in the Highlands.

He will never accept or respect this result.

Shocked by just how much Edinburgh gave him the bird..