The Scottish Independence referendum

pap

How shallow and deluded is salmond

Salmond: 'No' voters were 'tricked'

Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond says "No" voters in last week's referendum were "tricked" by a late vow of more devolved powers.

we were not tricked . It was because he wouldn't answer the questions instead just bullied or rubbished every counter argument put forward .

What an arrogant tosser .

Salmond is deluded - the only late surge was for the Yes side, just by not enough.

The No vote wasn't turned at the last minute, as all the polls except one or two late-on outliers had No as winning for the entirety of the campaign.

The net result is that the vow appears broken and that the Scottish people were misled. Whether that was willfully the case, depends on how charitable you are feeling and upon which side of the political divide you stand.

I cant see how scotland WONT get more powers...to the tune that was promised

all this hassle is about England and what we (wont) get

Salmond is deluded - the only late surge was for the Yes side, just by not enough.

The No vote wasn't turned at the last minute, as all the polls except one or two late-on outliers had No as winning for the entirety of the campaign.

I agree with your analysis of the impact CB Fry - as shown in the poll analysis I posted earlier, but Scotland has surely once again been ****ed over by Westminster politicking.

No?

I cant see how scotland WONT get more powers...to the tune that was promised

all this hassle is about England and what we (wont) get

Yep, I'd agree with that - unless we're presented with some unforseen, unholy and thankfully completely unlikely situation where UKIP were to be thrown into coalition with the Tories at the next election.

But the timetable will have changed dramatically from what was generally communicated in the late stages of the campaign.

I agree with your analysis of the impact CB Fry - as shown in the poll analysis I posted earlier, but Scotland has surely once again been ****ed over by Westminster politicking.

No?

Well, not really. I think basic, comfortable apathy-cum-contentment has seen off the streets-paved-with-social-democracy wonderland that Salmond and co tried to promise. Not much more sinister than that. That sentiment is a killer and a centre right party's most effective weapon.

Salmond described the No voters as "deferred Yeses" but i would have described Salmond if Yes had won as a deferred Nick Clegg - all exciting TV debate hope and excitement turned to the drudgery of sh it reality and delusion over time.

Scotland was not about to become the Sweden in kilts that those sixteen year olds thought.

And now, at least for another 20 years or so, Scotland can continue to have someone to blame.

Well, not really. I think basic, comfortable apathy-cum-contentment has seen off the streets-paved-with-social-democracy wonderland that Salmond and co tried to promise. Not much more sinister than that. That sentiment is a killer and a centre right party's most effective weapon.

Salmond described the No voters as "deferred Yeses" but i would have described Salmond if Yes had won as a deferred Nick Clegg - all exciting TV debate hope and excitement turned to the drudgery of sh it reality and delusion over time.

Scotland was not about to become the Sweden in kilts that those sixteen year olds thought.

And now, at least for another 20 years or so, Scotland can continue to have someone to blame.

I think this will be it for them

scotland voted NO on the back of......

unpopular govt in london

commonwealth games and other sporting events in scotland

back of recession

back of banking crisis (anti london)

a poor campaign from better together

16 year olds voting

salmond for all his faults is a very good public speaker (sturgeon simply is not as gravitating as him)

if it was set up for scotland to go. Now was the time

Yep, I agree with most of that. Scotland wasn't tricked in to voting No across the board.

My "****ed over by Westminster" was in the post-referendum, time-to-deliver-on-the-vow sense. And I took Salmond's 'tricked' comment in the same context.

He would obviously also like to have a scapegoat for the result, but as things stand the vow doesn't look like being kept in the timescales that Cameron outlined, or that Brown went on to be more specific about.

Yep, I agree with most of that. Scotland wasn't tricked in to voting No across the board.

My "****ed over by Westminster" was in the post-referendum, time-to-deliver-on-the-vow sense. And I took Salmond's 'tricked' comment in the same context.

He would obviously also like to have a scapegoat for the result, but as things stand the vow doesn't look like being kept in the timescales that Cameron outlined, or that Brown went on to be more specific about.

is salmond scremongering?

instead of leading his country?

I think it's too early for them to feel f****ed over yet - in fairness it is a bunch of people promising stuff they now need to unpick and work through. More panic induced incompetence rather than sinister. Could be a very interesting 18 months to the election now, and Milliband of all the leaders is in serious trouble.

I think it's too early for them to feel f****ed over yet - in fairness it is a bunch of people promising stuff they now need to unpick and work through. More panic induced incompetence rather than sinister. Could be a very interesting 18 months to the election now, and Milliband of all the leaders is in serious trouble.

Agreed. Cameron has put Miliband in a very difficult position. I can't see an easy way out for him.

I think the resurgence of Brown, and his proclamation that he will ensure promises are kept, might have been a clever move.

Brown will now be able to interpret the delays in Westminster on behalf of the Scottish people. He will be able to cast the Tory party as the villain of the piece. Whether that will be enough is questionable.

I can see Labour on the outskirts of politics for a long time unless they play this well.

Then again, I also feel our political system is long overdue a shake-up. It's just that the price of successive right of centre parties out-doing each other for the next 3 election cycles doesn't sound that great.

Agreed. Cameron has put Miliband in a very difficult position. I can't see an easy way out for him.

I think the resurgence of Brown, and his proclamation that he will ensure promises are kept, might have been a clever move.

Brown will now be able to interpret the delays in Westminster on behalf of the Scottish people. He will be able to cast the Tory party as the villain of the piece. Whether that will be enough is questionable.

I can see Labour on the outskirts of politics for a long time unless they play this well.

Then again, I also feel our political system is long overdue a shake-up. It's just that the price of successive right of centre parties out-doing each other for the next 3 election cycles doesn't sound that great.

I'd argue that Labour are in a bad way regardless. I don't know who they are designed to appeal to anymore. They're offering nothing like the radical proposals that the Red Labour lot want, and their overtures to Middle England aren't going to triumph over the populist but inaccurate shíte the Tories will sell.

Today they're making a song and dance over their proposal to have a minimum wage of £8 per hour by 2020, if elected. It goes up to £6.50 in October anyway, so we're talking about a wage raise of £1.50 per hour over a period of six years, an extra £57 a week for anyone doing 38 hours. Sounds fantastic in principle, but anyone that has had any involvement in buying food, fuel or paying the cost of housing will know that the rise will probably be meaningless by time it is introduced. It may even be a real terms reduction.

Labour need more radical ideas with a much tighter timeframe or they'll get nowhere this election.

I don't know one way or another how much the vow had anything to do with the no vote .

I don't think it changed the overall outcome . And in some places it convinced the undecided to vote yes .

There counter arguments in both sides .

I guess we will never no . But many thousands were against salmond because he was honest enough about plan b and c

Labour need to take a coherent position over this and the leadership seem unable to do so. Individuals have done so, particularly John Denham , but even two jags on Sunday Politics made more sense than the "line" senior figures are taking. Its laughable that they're saying the solution to English votes should come from the people and not cobbled together by MP's , when the Brown Vow was cobbled together by the establishment and not even debated by elected politicians. Labour need to wake up and smell the coffee, this is not going away. You can not put the genie back into the bottle.

Personally, I find myself agreeing with Two Jags, the white paper for the Brown Vow should include a timetable for English devolution, but doesn't necessarily have to run in tandem. The only caveat should be that Scottish MP's abstain from voting on devolved matters in the period in between .

I don't know one way or another how much the vow had anything to do with the no vote .

I don't think it changed the overall outcome . And in some places it convinced the undecided to vote yes .

There counter arguments in both sides .

I guess we will never no . But many thousands were against salmond because he was honest enough about plan b and c

I see he isnt going quietly lol

Salmond hasn't taken long to become a bitter bad loser!! how he expects everything to fall into place after one working day shows he is simply stirring up trouble.

the "vow" probably made little difference to the overall result, but its the only scrap he can hang on to..............as far as being "tricked"...the majority of Scots saw through his trickery and last of fantasy!!

Salmond hasn't taken long to become a bitter bad loser!! how he expects everything to fall into place after one working day shows he is simply stirring up trouble.

the "vow" probably made little difference to the overall result, but its the only scrap he can hang on to..............as far as being "tricked"...the majority of Scots saw through his trickery and last of fantasy!!

Tricked or not, that's how they voted. Salmond was making all sorts of promises he couldn't keep.

To be fair to Ed Miliband I thought he made a pretty good point on the english votes issue today. Londons asssembly has powers to spend on certain areas such as transport, so do you then also say that London MPs cant vote on any English transport issues outside London.

Starts to make the whole thing a bit of a farce.

I dont think there is a simple solution, so cant see any kind of agreement before the next election.

so much for the edinburgh agreement he kept harping on about. That all parties come together after the result for the best of the UK as a whole. He was quick to bang on about that in the event of a yes vote......does his gobbing off benefit anyone?

It seems to me that the Tory plan seems to be to give us the following :

Scotland, with just over 5 million population, would have a devolved Parliament PLUS representation at Westminster for 'National' issues and interests.

Wales, 3 million, ditto.

N Ireland, 1.8 million, ditto.

England, 53 million, one group of MPs for everything, and no regional recognition - except for London.

Not sure about that sort of unbalanced 'federalism'.

Scotland, with just over 5 million population, would have a devolved Parliament PLUS representation at Westminster for 'National' issues and interests.

Wales, 3 million, ditto.

England, 53 million, one group of MPs for everything, and no regional recognition - except for London.

Made similar comments on Facebook, when one of my English Parliament-supporting mates was calling for one.

Classic conflict between practicality and English identity.

Finding it bizarre that Cameron is being accused of party politics, simply because he has woken up to the rising resentment in England at Scottish attention-seeking and greed, and sees the need for an English settlement.

For me, even as a traditional Labour supporter it seems Milliband is playing the party politics because he will of course lose control of England following a General Election if he cannot use Scottish Labour MP votes.

Simple question : why cant Westminster either :

Put a gentlemans agreement in place that Scottish MPs do not vote on English issues

or

Introduce electronic voting instead of divisions so that Scootish votes (if any of them try) are simply subtracted ?

Why cant it be THAT simple ?

Changing the subject, why is Lord Barnett making such a fuss over his formula suddenly, nearly 40 years on ?

Has the dog-sh*t suddenly started arriving through his letterbox now ?

why is Lord Barnett making such a fuss over his formula suddenly, nearly 40 years on ?

He's not. He's been saying for years it was a back of fag packet calculation that should have been scrapped ages ago.

Finding it bizarre that Cameron is being accused of party politics, simply because he has woken up to the rising resentment in England at Scottish attention-seeking and greed, and sees the need for an English settlement.

For me, even as a traditional Labour supporter it seems Milliband is playing the party politics because he will of course lose control of England following a General Election if he cannot use Scottish Labour MP votes.

Put a gentlemans agreement in place that Scottish MPs do not vote on English issues

or

Introduce electronic voting instead of divisions so that Scootish votes (if any of them try) are simply subtracted ?

Changing the subject, why is Lord Barnett making such a fuss over his formula suddenly, nearly 40 years on ?

The truth is of course that they are both playing party politics.

Not wanting to play the blame game, but Cameron did link the Scottish vow with changes to England-only voting. I'm sure he'd say that this is a clarification of the mechanics of the vow he made. We all know that he is doing this because of the issues his own party has with ever-greater powers for the Scots, as well as obviously attempting to mortally wound the Labour movement in England.

Miliband is of course doing his fair share of ****ting on the Scottish people by threatening to withdraw support for the vow (on Cameron's terms), whilst he squirms around looking for justification for his vested interest in not answering the West Lothian question.

Personally, I can't see how a Scottish MP can legitimately vote on English issues when English MPs cannot alter corresponding policy in Scotland. It is that simple....

...But the change to the Westminster voting dynamic is so significant that I can't accept this change during the term of a sitting parliament. It feels significant enough to be part of a general election process or perhaps a wider debating platform.

That said, I think it might offer the sort of shakeup that would force Labour or perhaps an alternative movement to become a credible opposition. The downside would be the potential for several further-to-the-right governments before a natural rebalancing.

or

Or introduce a separately elected devolved English assembly - exactly what the other 3 regions get.

Wales, 3 million, ditto.

I believe we should have independence from London - I work in London, but it's like coming to a totally different country every day, it's nothing like the rest of the UK. The way people behave in every aspect, the news is so "London-centric" and the vast majority of Londoners I work with do not know where Hampshire is. I mean, seriously?

I love this city, to visit and to a certain degree, work in, but it really is so unlike anywhere else. Southampton feels really slow and old-fashioned in comparison and as I said in an earlier message, only really Manchester is catching up, but even then that's nothing like this place.

Anyway, my point is that this is I feel how our MPs think - massive London bias, thinking the rest of the UK is like London where they work.

I believe we should have independence from London - I work in London, but it's like coming to a totally different country every day, it's nothing like the rest of the UK. The way people behave in every aspect, the news is so "London-centric" and the vast majority of Londoners I work with do not know where Hampshire is. I mean, seriously?

I love this city, to visit and to a certain degree, work in, but it really is so unlike anywhere else. Southampton feels really slow and old-fashioned in comparison and as I said in an earlier message, only really Manchester is catching up, but even then that's nothing like this place.

Anyway, my point is that this is I feel how our MPs think - massive London bias, thinking the rest of the UK is like London where they work.

Quite true. What they conveniently forget is how much London depends on the infrastructure of the surrounding counties - housing, education, health, leisure and so on.

"He said if the Scottish Parliament was given more powers until “you have a situation where you’re independent in all but name … “then presumably, you declare yourself to be independent”."

Well that's easy to deal with - dont give them any more powers and avoid the situation arising. He also assumes that because the majority of young people voted 'yes' and the majority of the over 54s voted 'no' that the demographics would change over time as the 'no' voters died off. Im not sure that true. People tend to gert more conservative and risk averse as they get older. The Yes No age split might always be there with idealistic teeenagers morphing into pragmatic codgers.

That image is from "illuminati killers"

10606406_759752894071403_7785708303981171706_n.jpg?oh=d0e1a2cc1fc69921b8bca23a7297bc6f&oe=54C95DA2&__gda__=1422443546_a142c1790b6f66406e58d98baa53b60c

:mcinnes:

Found on a Facebook group called "The last person to walk into Parliament with honest intentions was Guy Fawkes", although these people seem to have similar areas of headline interest to me, going by your image alone.

I actually didn't notice the watermark; is this one any better? Does it mean something now?

large-before_after_elections.jpg

:mcinnes:

Everybody appears to be putting the cart before the horse . Surely the issue is the UK parliament and its role once full and fair devolution is given to all. We do not need 600 odd MP's once all component countries of the UK have the same rights and responsibilities. A federal UK was the inevitable outcome once the sweatys got their parliament . English votes for English laws, although fairer than labours nonsensical pony, is a half way house. What's getting in the way here is the size of the UK parliament and the role of the prime minister. But it doesnt need to be so. If powers are devolved to the nations, then a reduction of MPs will be needed. Half the problem is they don't want to get off the gravy train. Surely the foundations of any democratic government is that its fair to everyone.

Like the rest of the UK , the English should have a vote on whether we get devolved powers and how those powers are governed. Do the English want a parliament, do they want English votes for English laws in Westminster, or do they want to maintain the status quo. Arguments about cost or tiers of more politicians should form part of this debate, just as it did in Scotland and Wales.

An English parliament away from London voted for by pr , with a smaller federal UK government sitting in Westminster replacing the lords and led by an elected head of the UK state. That would be my solution.

Everybody appears to be putting the cart before the horse . Surely the issue is the UK parliament and its role once full and fair devolution is given to all. We do not need 600 odd MP's once all component countries of the UK have the same rights and responsibilities. A federal UK was the inevitable outcome once the sweatys got their parliament . English votes for English laws, although fairer than labours nonsensical pony, is a half way house. What's getting in the way here is the size of the UK parliament and the role of the prime minister. But it doesnt need to be so. If powers are devolved to the nations, then a reduction of MPs will be needed. Half the problem is they don't want to get off the gravy train. Surely the foundations of any democratic government is that its fair to everyone.

Like the rest of the UK , the English should have a vote on whether we get devolved powers and how those powers are governed. Do the English want a parliament, do they want English votes for English laws in Westminster, or do they want to maintain the status quo. Arguments about cost or tiers of more politicians should form part of this debate, just as it did in Scotland and Wales.

An English parliament away from London voted for by pr , with a smaller federal UK government sitting in Westminster replacing the lords and led by an elected head of the UK state. That would be my solution.

All good stuff, but it cannot possibly be sited away fom Westminster. The logistics become costly and impractical.

just proves what sort he is.

he bangs on about how the people in scotland always get the government they DID NOT vote for.

yet 1.6m voted for independence..that leaves nearly 4m who didnt....does that mean he will force a change on scotland that they DID NOT vote for

this was always about him. Now it is very clear

An MSP sdaid on BBC Scotland this mornin he expects there will be another referendaum on independance within 5 years

I bloody hope not

Salmond and the SNP are really ungrateful losers

Oh and if he thinks its only those over the age of 55 voted no then , there is something seriously wrong with his maths

Look at the results salmond , we dont have that many folk over the age of 55,

we certainly have more than 2 million under that age.

And im aware of at least 100 folk in the 18-35 range who def voted no up here

An MSP sdaid on BBC Scotland this mornin he expects there will be another referendaum on independance within 5 years

I bloody hope not

Salmond and the SNP are really ungrateful losers

Oh and if he thinks its only those over the age of 55 voted no then , there is something seriously wrong with his maths

Look at the results salmond , we dont have that many folk over the age of 55,

we certainly have more than 2 million under that age.

And im aware of at least 100 folk in the 18-35 range who def voted no up here

Who is going to risk another referendum in the next 20 years? And when there is one then it should be open to all Scots in the Union and not just ones that have stayed in Scotland. If you are Scottish you should have the right to decide on your nation's future.

The nightmare scenario is that the Scottish Labour vote collapses at next years General Election and SNP is swept into power with a clear majority of the vote. Then the EU membership referendum promised by the Conservatives during the next Parliament leads to the UK withdrawing from the EU. This in turn leads to the SNP (based on their new mandate) announcing that this decision is unacceptable to the Scottish people and they declare independence unilaterally from the UK there and then.

I must stress that I don't see that happening thankfully, but just suppose it did what a proper sh1tstorm we would be in ...

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

The nightmare scenario is that the Scottish Labour vote collapses at next years General Election and SNP is swept into power with a clear majority of the vote. Then the EU membership referendum promised by the Conservatives during the next Parliament leads to the UK withdrawing from the EU. This in turn leads to the SNP (based on their new mandate) announcing that this decision is unacceptable to the Scottish people and they declare independence unilaterally from the UK there and then.

I must stress that I don't see that happening thankfully, but just suppose it did what a proper sh1tstorm we would be in ...

There's no legal basis for declaring UDI, is there? The Scottish Parliament have limited powers which do t extend to creating a sovereign state.

Knowing the SNP they will lower the voting age to 2

They are funding loads of new early year workers to provide nursery education for all 2 year olds

Here's the first 4 weeks curriculum

1st week - bed wetting cessation skills

2nd week - how to spell the word Yes .

3rd week - arts and craft - how to draw a x in the yes box

4th week - story telling - why the Tories are scary trolls