The Long Overdue Pointless 2015/16 (Adidas) Kit Thread

The9

Lots of kits get leaked and people knocking up hoax shirts! Yes this was leaked then but was not confirmed as being it.

It is definitely it unfortunately! Launches officially at last game of season, sale in July.

It was as confirmed as it needed to be. Authentic buyer-brochure style design, using the same outline picture adidas used in last year's Premier League handbook and matching 2015 adidas designs which were still being released at the time. No-one goes to that amount of trouble to mock up a fake.

Last game of the season is away, btw...

Genuinely having that green away kit? Because of some w*nk partnership with a Yank club? Talk about selling your soul.

Which no-one has seen or heard anything about since it was first mooted... hmmmmm...

I'm more in the "wearing a colour of shirt is selling your soul? You haven't got much of a soul" camp.

Have been hoping for the return of a sash kit but not convinced that green is what we were wanting! Will reserve judgement until I've seen the real thing as it may look less nasty in reality. Home shirt is fine, nice to see some proper stripes and a decent quality kit.

The professionalism of the mock-up pretty much confirmed this 99% to be the actual kit, as many others agreed. Not quiet sure what my opinion is on the kit, however my initial thought is that it's not too bad. Could always have been better though..

Since I saw this leak there's never been the remotest doubt in my mind that it's accurate. Some bloke chucking out a photoshop on twitter is absolutely not the same as a photograph of what looks like a page from a buyer's brochure showing legit adidas kit model designs.

The whole "now it's confirmed" thing is people who claim to have other sources being able to confirm it, but there's never been any doubt since that was leaked anyway. As I said in early March, may as well close the thread now.

because it's never a great seller as it missed the jeans and a footy shirt market!

It's mostly because everyone who's going to buy a yellow Saints shirt already has a yellow Saints shirt. Only the idiots like me who want them all will buy it.

We've had a LOT of yellow away shirts - personally I'm always hoping for an amber/black one like the briefly used early 70s one, it's one of the few designs that hasn't been retroed already. But then that's because my home-town club happens to play in those colours.

Speaking of which, their new shirt (out today) is absolutely dull as ditchwater and they really should put a bit more effort into announcing it:

3715750.jpg?display=1&htype=98&type=mc2

I'll reserve judgement on the away kit until I learn the reasons for it and how / if it benefits Saints.

I like it anyway, different without being offensive and not too "fashiony", the sort of thing away kit designs are for.

Will be interesting to see if the shirt is lighter than it appears, as it seems daft to have black home shorts and navy away - but I'm pretty sure we won't be wearing any royal blue any time soon. I look forward to the green alternate shorts... :o

I like it anyway, different without being offensive and not too "fashiony", the sort of thing away kit designs are for.

Will be interesting to see if the shirt is lighter than it appears, as it seems daft to have black home shorts and navy away - but I'm pretty sure we won't be wearing any royal blue any time soon. I look forward to the green alternate shorts... :o

My main issue with green kits is that they look like goalkeeper tops. I just always associate that colour (in non-stripe or non-hoop form) with keepers.

Being green , if it's as dark as it looks I'm

Sure we will need a third strip for the odd game

For matches against all those teams playing in red and green stripes? :D

The only problem I can see is playing away to a team in the League Cup or FA Cup which has black or navy shorts, due to those competition rules.

My main issue with green kits is that they look like goalkeeper tops. I just always associate that colour (in non-stripe or non-hoop form) with keepers.

In the 1970s maybe! I think we're past that point, it's as likely to be green as any other colour. Though of course quite a few recent seasons have seen Saints keepers in green:

2010/11:

77_kelvin_1351660a.jpg

2011/12 (green-ish):

Kelvin+Davis+Southampton+v+Brighton+Hove+Albion+-lFQHxd1IJyl.jpg

2013/14:

715x100015-e1390756090945.jpg

2014/15:

Kelvin-Davis-565686.jpg

There have also been 2012/13:

kelvin_1643018a.jpg

and the various change keeper shirts in the same time period:

kelvin-davis.jpg?itok=GWlqIvlK

Kelvin+Davis+Southampton+v+Ajax+Pre+Season+kTM5hAseBjAl.jpg

29848-zoom.jpg

Southampton-FC-v-FC-Schalke-04-Friendly-Match.jpg

Kelvin+Davis+KSK+Hasselt+v+Southampton+9BS4J78vzgSl.jpg

Edited by The9

Yeah, those are the photoshops produced by Footyheadlines.com the day the leak came out. Already lengthily discussed on this thread - to the extent that I can tell you the collar on the home shirt is wrong (because it isn't the same as the leak). Based on the basic templates and all the other adidas kits already released in these styles, I assume the home kit has mesh on the collar, just like the away kit probably does on cuffs and hem.

In unrelated news, I'm pretty sure the leaked Chelsea "Yokohama" shirts are fakes (a 2014 adidas design with the new sponsor slapped on it), whilst the older "Turkish Airlines" ones are based on the legit style (2015 adidas design samples with potential sponsors on before the new sponsorship was agreed) - even though the correct sponsors are Yokohama.

These:

Chelsea-15-16-Home-Kit.JPG

18.jpg

derive from this

Chelsea-2015-Leak-F.png

But not this, which is just last year's style with the new sponsor on:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAhA7ETUzmIMnKVxBrL7Gl1co4nkA3AhUNoKnvOx2Qd2dwzOI7

We shall see though, Chelsea have had some fairly convincing fakes before if you're not paying attention. And sites like this http://www.edpsoccerjersey.net/chelsea-c-2_3_12.html making knock-off stuff based on leaks alone (they have BOTH styles listed) don't help matters.

Also interesting to note that they have Saints unbranded shirts from this season, though I'm not prepared to invest the $16.88 to find out how badly made these are.

Edited by The9

Do find it very odd massive clubs just get recycled templates when so much money is spent on unique branding elsewhere. I remember Man Utd having a kit with Old Trafford printed into the material, looked quite cool, and an away shirt that had the names of former players all over it.

Would be nice to see more unique stuff. With several new kits every season you could commemorate a former great every season. Image of them or name subtly in the background of the shirt.

The top European clubs do get an element of bespoke design, but it's very limited in execution. e.g. Bayern's new adidas shirt uses a diamond motif from the Bavaria badge which is repeated on their club badge (and actually looks like an Umbro design), but otherwise it's basically a standard adidas template.

15BMUNLK1.jpg

This season's Chelsea shirt has the gradated pattern that other shirts don't have.

chelsea.jpg

Mostly the bottom clubs get a colour-reversed teamwear design, the good national clubs get a unique design using a standard combination of templates, and the top clubs get a unique combination of templates with a slight variation to show they're special.

I'm fine with uniqueness, I'm not fine with exploitation, which is what more than 3 shirts a season, or producing not-special "special" kits is is. Stuff like the German "Christmas" kits annoy me. I'm fine with Saints having 3 shirts (though we can't actually buy one of them), no-one is making me buy them.

Edited by The9

Yellow/Blue is just so f*cking boring now, any colour scheme that is different on the away shirt I welcome with open arms.

Agree, it's been done to death, and worn by just about every team at some stage where needed as an away kit (just add that to stop some pedant telling us neither Norwich or Watford have used it as an away kit),and it has become a yawn.

That said, I have liked some of the variations, such as the L1 navy with yellow top section,but yellow shirts, blue shorts - no thanks.

Agree, it's been done to death, and worn by just about every team at some stage where needed as an away kit (just add that to stop some pedant telling us neither Norwich or Watford have used it as an away kit),and it has become a yawn.

That said, I have liked some of the variations, such as the L1 navy with yellow top section,but yellow shirts, blue shorts - no thanks.

I can only think of one or two out of the current PL that tend to have yellow and blue away kits?

Hm.... anyone seen Stokes new kit ? co-incidence of evidence that our kit "leak" is a mistake.... !?

Already mentioned in the thread, it's opposite colours, not Adidas and the diagonal doesn't even go the same way. The leak back in March was far too authentic not to be the case.

I can only think of one or two out of the current PL that tend to have yellow and blue away kits?

There are quite a few off the top of my head...

Arsenal have a yellow with blue most seasons

Chelsea around every other year

Palace pretty much every other year if not more often

Spurs have a yellow away shirt with blue or black practically every year.

Everton do probably one in three seasons

Stoke maybe once every 5 years

Plus Liverpool tend to have a yellow/red more often than not and West Brom go yellow with green in probably 1/3 of seasons.

Man City haven't, Man United haven't for ages, Sunderland don't, Newcastle haven't had many at all, Villa have had few yellow kits (maybe one every 10 years), I can't think of a yellow West Ham shirt, Swansea haven't, Hull probably wouldn't due to the home kit, and after that we're into a lot of teams who may or may not be in the division. Burnley have had yellow but don't often, Cardiff usually have yellow/blue as a traditional away kit once they dump the red altogether... Norwich wear it at home. And so on.

What would people say our traditional away colours were?

Predominantly yellow with blue trim.

Not adverse to something a bit different now and then in the away kit though, it does allow for the odd excellent one offs such as the Black Adidas away shirt we had a year ago.

What would people say our traditional away colours were?

Amber and black.

Yellow and blue was a 1970's variation on it , and fashion that we adopted (following Everton, Chelsea, Man U, etc having all worn it in the preceeding couple of seasons).

There are quite a few off the top of my head...

Arsenal have a yellow with blue most seasons

Chelsea around every other year

Palace pretty much every other year if not more often

Spurs have a yellow away shirt with blue or black practically every year.

Everton do probably one in three seasons

Stoke maybe once every 5 years

Plus Liverpool tend to have a yellow/red more often than not and West Brom go yellow with green in probably 1/3 of seasons.

Man City haven't, Man United haven't for ages, Sunderland don't, Newcastle haven't had many at all, Villa have had few yellow kits (maybe one every 10 years), I can't think of a yellow West Ham shirt, Swansea haven't, Hull probably wouldn't due to the home kit, and after that we're into a lot of teams who may or may not be in the division. Burnley have had yellow but don't often, Cardiff usually have yellow/blue as a traditional away kit once they dump the red altogether... Norwich wear it at home. And so on.

Spurs don't have a yellow away shirt every year, neither do Arsenal.

Amber and black.

Yellow and blue was a 1970's variation on it , and fashion that we adopted (following Everton, Chelsea, Man U, etc having all worn it in the preceeding couple of seasons).

And that only started in 1963's Cup run. it was all white prior to that.

And that only started in 1963's Cup run. it was all white prior to that.

The amber and black started in 1951 for a cup game against Sunderland. The shirts were borrowed from the Hampshire Regiment. Since they continued to 1971 that is one of the longest standing away combinations we have used.

Spurs don't have a yellow away shirt every year, neither do Arsenal.

Spurs have a yellow away/3rd shirt "practically every year", Arsenal "most seasons". Which is what I said.

If you like I can post endless pics of the loads of their away shirts and seasons, but I already know it's the case.

I'd say yellow and blue was now Saints' traditional away colours, seeing as I've never seen them play in amber and black and everything prior to 1976 is basically shades of black and white. ;)

Edited by The9

Spurs have a yellow away shirt "practically every year", Arsenal "most seasons". Which is what I said.

If you like I can post endless pics of the loads of their away shirts and seasons, but I already know it's the case.

I'd say yellow and blue was now Saints' traditional away colours, seeing as I've never seen them play in amber and black and everything prior to 1976 is basically shades of black and white. ;)

Spurs last four away kits haven't been Yellow and blue, Arsenall only two out of the last four years I think. I guess some of us just know a lot about football kits :toppa:

Ah balls to it. Spurs yellow away or third kits since 1969 when they adopted yellow regularly (colours are indicative, "yellow" used when any shirt was yellow, blue used for the years yellow was not used):

1969/70

1970/71

1971/72

1972/73

1973/74

1974/75

1975/76

1976/77

1977/78

1978/79

1979/80

1980/81

1981/82

1982/83

1983/84

1984/85

1985/86

1986/87

1987/88

1988/89

1989/90

1990/91

1991/92

1992/93

1993/94

1994/95

1995/96

1996/97

1997/98

1998/99

1999/2000

2000/01

2001/02

2002/03

2003/04

2004/05

2005/06

2006/07

2007/08

2008/09

2009/10

2010/11

2011/12

2012/13

2013/14

2014/15

So actually, they've just gone 4 years without a yellow away kit, which is the longest since 1969, and they've had yellow change shirts in 30 of the past 45 seasons.

Edited by The9

Ah balls to it. Spurs yellow away or third kits since 1969 when they adopted yellow regularly (colours are indicative, "yellow" used when any shirt was yellow, blue used for the years yellow was not used):

1969/70

1970/71

1971/72

1972/73

1973/74

1974/75

1975/76

1976/77

1977/78

1978/79

1979/80

1980/81

1981/82

1982/83

1983/84

1984/85

1985/86

1986/87

1987/88

1988/89

1989/90

1990/91

1991/92

1992/93

1993/94

1994/95

1995/96

1996/97

1997/98

1998/99

1999/2000

2000/01

2001/02

2002/03

2003/04

2004/05

2005/06

2006/07

2007/08

2008/09

2009/10

2010/11

2011/12

2012/13

2013/14

2014/15

So actually, they've just gone 4 years without a yellow away kit, which is the longest since 1969, and they've had yellow change shirts in 30 of the past 45 seasons.

So as I said, Spurs do not have a yellow away shirt practically every year, 5 years on the trot without it.

Spurs last four away kits haven't been Yellow and blue, Arsenall only two out of the last four years I think. I guess some of us just know a lot about football kits :toppa:

Oh, and Arsenal:

1968-1982

then the green/blue thing for one season

1983-2001 (inc 1994/6 when they had a yellow third they only used twice)

2001-3 they had a gold shirt instead of yellow

2003/4

2005-7

2008/9

2010-12

2013-15.

They've actually only NOT had a yellow change shirt in one season since 2009/10.

Edited by The9

So as I said, Spurs do not have a yellow away shirt practically every year, 5 years on the trot without it.

They have one at the moment, and haven't gone 5 years without one since 1969.

They've had a yellow shirt 3 of every 4 years over the past 45 years. Plus 7/10 seasons during the first decade of the millennium. That's "practically every year" to me.