The Long Overdue Pointless 2015/16 (Adidas) Kit Thread

The9

Warrior is owned by NB and there is a "strategic" move to replace it with the more widely known NB brand. Don't know why they didn't just go straight to NB in the first place. Seems odd to me.

Raised the profile of Warrior which up until then were basically a lacrosse outfitter, better to have two well-known brands than one.

Apologist ahoy. So you're saying Cortese delayed until it was too late for anything bespoke and then didn't like what we got given, but that's not his fault?

Plus you also haven't seemed to work out that Adidas pay the club, not the other way around. So "a bigger deal" wouldn't necessarily be better for them.

Though it's also us who insist on the limited retail points, which massively hampers the sales figures, so I guess we could move away from that and Adidas would get a cut of a much bigger market in exchange for use of their distribution infrastructure.

Picking up year 3 of a deal having just ignored year 2 seems strange, maybe it was the easiest and cheapest way to revive the agreement?

9er,

WHYYYY do we do that ridiculous option of not selling the shirts anywhere other than club shops and online. It has always made me crazy. As an overseas Saint, it makes the mind boggle.

Surely we should be making our kit widely available to increase our reach to new fans etc.

I would have liked us to go with Puma or UnderArmour as something a bit different.

9er,

WHYYYY do we do that ridiculous option of not selling the shirts anywhere other than club shops and online. It has always made me crazy. As an overseas Saint, it makes the mind boggle.

Surely we should be making our kit widely available to increase our reach to new fans etc.

I would have liked us to go with Puma or UnderArmour as something a bit different.

It doesn't make sense having it as a set policy, but to be honest I doubt it makes much difference, how many shirts would we sell away from the club shops or On-Line?

It doesn't make sense having it as a set policy, but to be honest I doubt it makes much difference, how many shirts would we sell away from the club shops or On-Line?

We'd sell a lot more if they were available to buy in every large supermarket and sports retailer in (non-blue) Hampshire.

But the club might make less absolute margin/profit from those sales. Which may explain the policy.

Apologist ahoy. So you're saying Cortese delayed until it was too late for anything bespoke and then didn't like what we got given, but that's not his fault?

Plus you also haven't seemed to work out that Adidas pay the club, not the other way around. So "a bigger deal" wouldn't necessarily be better for them.

Though it's also us who insist on the limited retail points, which massively hampers the sales figures, so I guess we could move away from that and Adidas would get a cut of a much bigger market in exchange for use of their distribution infrastructure.

Picking up year 3 of a deal having just ignored year 2 seems strange, maybe it was the easiest and cheapest way to revive the agreement?

Saints were never offered anything "bespoke" by Adidas... Cortese just did not have a clue when it came to negotiating with a global brand. My point was a fairly subtle but an uncomplicated one... that is... once Adidas decided to take SFC on for the supply... they then royally took the **** out of us. Which was childish and unprofessional in my opinion. I happen to think now Saints are much better placed and with our rising brand , Adidas will actually genuinely be interested.. as will Puma and so we can negotiate the best deal for 2016/17. If saints are serious about dancing with the "bigger" clubs , we need to raise our game across many business strands and merchandising is one of them , this year has been a dead year and a huge waste of potential. Furthermore, although admirable to have a local company sponsoring the club, I would have thought a more globally recognised company on the shirt would also enhance the brand.... English clubs seem rather dire at this part of their brand... ManU having the dire car brand on their shirts being the prime example...

Saints were never offered anything "bespoke" by Adidas... Cortese just did not have a clue when it came to negotiating with a global brand. My point was a fairly subtle but an uncomplicated one... that is... once Adidas decided to take SFC on for the supply... they then royally took the **** out of us. Which was childish and unprofessional in my opinion. I happen to think now Saints are much better placed and with our rising brand , Adidas will actually genuinely be interested.. as will Puma and so we can negotiate the best deal for 2016/17. If saints are serious about dancing with the "bigger" clubs , we need to raise our game across many business strands and merchandising is one of them , this year has been a dead year and a huge waste of potential. Furthermore, although admirable to have a local company sponsoring the club, I would have thought a more globally recognised company on the shirt would also enhance the brand.... English clubs seem rather dire at this part of their brand... ManU having the dire car brand on their shirts being the prime example...

Fair enough, I didn't suggest we were offered anything bespoke, but I'd be sure Cortese was after IT, based on his exacting standards elsewhere. I dare say Cortese being an utter pain in the ar5e to deal with had nothing to do with that awkwardness either. ;) They did have NINE Prem teams last season though, which was probably part of the supply problem. As well as, I'd guess, our relatively low volumes (partially due to the local retailer restrictions, partially because half the fanbase wouldn't buy the all-red things) making Saints a lower priority.

As far as money for sponsorship, Man United are doing very well, flogging ad space to numerous different companies for training and warm up as well as match shirts, and raking it in from all of them. It's not really about the company profile, is it?

We'd sell a lot more if they were available to buy in every large supermarket and sports retailer in (non-blue) Hampshire.

But the club might make less absolute margin/profit from those sales. Which may explain the policy.

It's the only logical explanation. Falls down a bit when we're sending loads of stuff by post and sizings are nonsense though, must cost loads in returns and fulfilment etc.

I wish the 'megastore' or shop in West Quay would stock the retro shirts again.

Saved me a fortune,they are better quality and cheaper.

I now only buy the 'new' shirt for my young son.

Mind you this seasons sizes were completely arse. Even he wants a retro one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish the 'megastore' or shop in West Quay would stock the retro shirts again.

Saved me a fortune,they are better quality and cheaper.

I now only buy the 'new' shirt for my young son.

Mind you this seasons sizes were completely arse. Even he wants a retro one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. They don't have anything in the store I like any more.

Until I see a shirt with Veho/Muvi on I'll take my chances with what I know

The same megastore manager chance that it will be a home brand as well?? As someone else has said go and do your homework on mini me and you will soon realise he is about one of a handful of people who actually know what they are talking about regards kits and sponsors.

Which is exactly what happened. He p*ssed about playing billy big bol*ocks, left it too late to get anything bespoke and we were lumbered with kit which he chose but when it arrived he hated and was one of the worst selling kits we've had. Another stroke of genius from the greatest businessman who ever lived.

No reason to doubt him like I said above until I see different to what I was told if so I'll go call him a liar!

But there is a difference is in what you were told to what has materialised -

I'd like to think the man who deals with selling our kits knows what he's talking about he also said next year's kit maybe own brand again as negotiations for next seasons kit had to be done by last October to be ready for the summer and they weren't

But there is a difference is in what you were told to what has materialised -

The word is maybe , also its obvious that the negotiations weren't done otherwise it would of been announced earlier ! Like I said I'll wait and see what's written on the front of the shirt before I call someone a liar !

The word is maybe , also its obvious that the negotiations weren't done otherwise it would of been announced earlier ! Like I said I'll wait and see what's written on the front of the shirt before I call someone a liar !

LOL. Or you could just admit you had and have no idea.

He's already 'lied' to you though....he said "negotiations had to be done by last October" whereas you've just said "its obvious that they weren't done". So he got that wrong for starters....?

I think you missed my point. see Trousers' post above.

I reckon you'd be surprised.

There is a growing groundswell of respect here for Saints; taking the big boys on, change of scenery on the top of the PL, managing to polish a turd where Mane is concerned.

How long will it take to analyse these ten words?

It's my personal choice. If I'm going to wear a retro shirt, it has to actually BE the original shirt. And I REALLY hate the ones made by different companies, and using different materials, that don't have the design features right, or in the right place, etc.

About the only decent remake retro kits I can think of at the moment are the Umbro England 1990 World Cup replicas they released (the #19 Gazza shirt) before one of the recent major tournaments, and that was because they were almost identical to the originals (apart from a couple of things designed to stop people re-selling them as such).

I REALLY hate the baggy cotton Air Florida remake from the early 2000s. The shiny, more recent, one they released was better but still not made by Patrick (for obvious reasons) and not a patch on the real thing.

Obviously I appreciate that some people don't want to have to track an original down, or just aren't THAT bothered and want to invoke 1983 without having to pay attention to the detail, but that's just not my thing. :)

Edited by The9

He's already 'lied' to you though....he said "negotiations had to be done by last October" whereas you've just said "its obvious that they weren't done". So he got that wrong for starters....?
What part of maybe don't you lot understand ? I don't care what any of you say if you are inclined to believe someone you have never met (no matter who they are supposed to be) that's down to you I'll listen to the bloke who gave me free stuff that I have actually met and talked to and if you wanna get picky actually read thru ALL my comments and then come back and speak to me

I'd like to think the man who deals with selling our kits knows what he's talking about he also said next year's kit maybe own brand again as negotiations for next seasons kit had to be done by last October to be ready for the summer and they weren't

The bit of the "maybe" that "people don't understand" relates to the outcome of "own brand". If the thing you said happened happens, we might be own brand.

Except we know there's a dea nowl. The "negotiations for next seasons kit had to be done by last October to be ready for the summer and they weren't" bit is only going to be wrong if somehow, despite announcing a kit deal in February, four and a half months before they even had to announce it, they don't manage to put things together by July.

The club has announced that adidas are coming back, there's no "maybe" to be considering other than the likelihood of the kit supplier failing to supply.

Of course, your source might still have made an honest mistake, or been misinformed, or been feeding you a duff rumour to see where it turned up.

The bit I think is interesting is the timing of the announcement. Wouldn't mid-February have been about the time when the club found out the adidas deal had been cancelled last year? Cortese went late January/early Feb, there was some delay which prevented adidas delivering for this season, could this have been the anniversary of the failure of the club to agree to get adidas back on board post-Cortese last year, and maybe the signing of the one year interim kit deal for the own-brand stuff?

Maybe I'm on my own, but I'd quite like blue shorts like we used to have (and now Atletico Madrid have) or even red shorts.

I like the Chivas Guadalajara and Chivas USA colourschemes which have a dark blue / navy short. That would be decent. Not so keen on red shorts, Lincoln's thing. Admittedly black shorts are Sunderland and Brentford's...

What part of maybe don't you lot understand ? I don't care what any of you say if you are inclined to believe someone you have never met (no matter who they are supposed to be) that's down to you I'll listen to the bloke who gave me free stuff that I have actually met and talked to and if you wanna get picky actually read thru ALL my comments and then come back and speak to me

Are you actually a little bit simple in the head?

You're nothing as a club unless they sell your shirt in Sports Direct.

Are you actually a little bit simple in the head?

Why because I won't take a bloke on the Internet's word for gospel I think you mugs are the simple ones , we'll come back to this when the shirts are released either to accept apologizes or eat humble pie , just for thoses of you who didn't read back my posts I nor matey in the mega store never said we wouldn't still be sponsored by Veho , just that the names on the front of the shirt will be different to the ones this year!

Maybe I'm on my own, but I'd quite like blue shorts like we used to have (and now Atletico Madrid have) or even red shorts.

I think we should go for blue shorts.

There's a tradition that we used to have them, and it would make us genuinely distinct from Stokunderland. And I think would look rather nice.

And white socks.

The local sponsor thing, surely it's preferable if it only means forgoing a million or so? Shows the club is actually about something, and with current TV money it just makes no difference. Until we're big enough to get a huge deal, then why change it. Of course, getting into the CL would change that, or maybe a season in the Europa league.

Especially if it's some crass far eastern betting company!!

Why because I won't take a bloke on the Internet's word for gospel I think you mugs are the simple ones , we'll come back to this when the shirts are released either to accept apologizes or eat humble pie , just for thoses of you who didn't read back my posts I nor matey in the mega store never said we wouldn't still be sponsored by Veho , just that the names on the front of the shirt will be different to the ones this year!

Why sign a two year deal if it was evident from the start it was only going to last one year?