What is wrong with America

Red Alert

Banana_clean_sheet.png

Once again what the f*ck do 3 bananas have to do with the thread ?? must be some insult at me but .......

#1 its meaningless to me

#2 I can take insults all day long whether I understand them or not

Your opinion of yourself seems to have no bounds........good for you

more needless deaths by a gunman in America

Obama made a striking point. less than 100 people have died in the US at the hands of traditional terrorism since 9/11

over 10,000 people have died by the way of the gun in the same period.

yanks are just plain weird about their gun obsession

Now your just bringing the thread back to name calling........Kipper.

Now this is approaching a debate, much better than your previous drivel.

I'll ignore the drivel comment for now.

OK you are basing all your arguments/reasoning on the following:

- that every person registers a firearm......in the real world this don't happen.

- amnesties do happen ........who goes searching for firearms? .....surely not the cops!!!

- a constitutional amendment will never happen ...you got to believe on this despite what you think about the US they will never give up a freedom.

- fewer registered guns?? will happen because no one will register them

- Americans will never give up their freedom its part of what makes them American

Now before any one says you are a Canadian born in the uk I have lots of American friends and they are the best people you could ever meet.....they find these senseless mass murder incidents as abhorrent as me and you do ......but they will never give up their constitutional rights or freedoms.

Call the above drivel if you want to.......just saying how things really are...........

You cant even go to see a movie now without some idiot putting a bullet in you. You are much more likely to get killed by your own countryman than you are a terrorist in America.

Hey Soggy don't go to the Movie Theater in the US.......not like you ever will :)

Except it has happened - 33 times over the years. Why is another amendment so completely unthinkable? Yep, after these 33 amendments, the Constitution is finally *perfect* and need never be changed again under any circumstances...

Oh and guess who else is not on your side of this debate Sarnia? Here's a US-based source, just for you: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/07/23/obama-tells-bbc-that-he-is-most-frustrated-with-failure-to-get-tougher-gun-laws/

the United States of America is the one advanced nation on Earth in which we do not have sufficient commonsense gun safety laws even in the face of repeated mass killings

It's ok, I know you wouldn't have voted for him anyway, even if you were a US citizen. It rather undermines your mantra of "we Brits just don't get it" when the leader of the country is saying the same thing, don't you think?

Because it just wont happen to the second amendment..............and BTW would have voted for him in 2008 and 2012 as would most Canadians......what makes you think I wouldn't .........oh showing your dumb brit side :)

F**k it, I've been persuaded to come over to Sarnia's point of view.

I say arm everybody! Church goers, teachers, librarians, Mormon's, the Amish, ANYONE that wants one in the US! Hell, why not give school kids guns so they can learn to protect themselves?

What better way to combat gun violence than with more guns!

Now I'm on my laptop instead of phone, maybe for the Australian model I can add more context.

Firearm Licence

Firstly, before even entertaining the idea of owning a firearm any said person must actually have a firearm licence which comes in various categories based on the type of weapon.

There are numerous reasons for this.

- The first part of the paper trail starts here.

- It ensures that the gun owner is educated on the responsibilities of owning a gun, has a genuine need for it, and is deemed fit and proper. (my words)

- It restricts the "legal" sales of guns AND ammunition to only those with the correct licences.

Think of it the same as a driving licence.

Firearm Registration

The next step is that once the licensed gun owner has purchased the gun, the gun must be registered and also regularly (possibly yearly) registered by presenting the firearm to the police for inspection.

The main reason I suspect is to regulate the legal exchange of firearms and restrict the type of firearms.

Absolutely nothing (unless they start blatting people). In addition to the aforementioned benefits the main aim isn't about suppressing those with a licence, but suppressing those without.

It's difficult, there will always be a black market for firearms but it comes at a cost. This is where the registration is at its most useful. As an example in America almost anyone can pick up a semi automatic assault rifle with ammo at a local walmart for a few hundred dollars, because it is so easy and there's no trail.

In Australia, if you are lucky you would get on the black market a pistol for about 30,000 dollars. So the illegal guns are mostly in the hands of hardened criminals and crime gangs, used invariably against other hardened criminals and crime gangs, not some pimply faced teenager having a meltdown because he got picked on for wearing braces. (although still can happen - see below)

I wouldn't expect you to have known this, but in Australia immediately after the worlds worst gun massacre (google Port Arthur Massacre) responded to make it harder for people to acquire semi and automatic weapons - that were at the time legal to buy and own. However, constitutionally Parliament could not just pass a law to confiscate weapons from existing legal gun owners. It had nothing to do with guns per se, but rather a ubiquitous ownership law surrounding the inability of governments to take something away from people that they already own. Fair enough.

So a rather novel approach they took was introduce a firearms amnesty where, for a period of time (maybe a year or two) the government would buy back at around $600 a pop all the firearms they wanted out of the public domain.

Why is this relevant?

Because I think, it illustrates that Americans using the 2nd amendment and the constitution is just a sloppy default excuse.

The truth moreover is that there is no social or political will to improve things. I think this sadly is the kicker between US and AUS (and possibly the rest of the civilized world) and why outsiders looking in regularly shake their head in dismay at US gun laws.

*Footnote

The other thing worth mentioning is that Australia doesn't have a thriving domestic firearms so the firearm lobby groups are politically weak. Conversely the US gun manufacturers profit heavily on Americans diametrically opposing psyche of fear and aggression which must weigh heavily on the decision makers on Capital Hill (or at least with down their pockets).

Emu that was a good ......now let me tell you what happened in Canada.

Back in the early 90s a guy in Montreal went and killed a load of women students with an AK47 or similar at a university........there was rightfully outrage everywhere.

So the federal government of the time introduced the `Gun Registry` this was supposed to keep us good folks safe.......all firearms had to be registered even WW2 momentos.

What happened was the only people who registered their firearms were the ones who had their firearms confiscated by the federal government less than 5% of all firearms in Canada.

No one else registered (get where I`m going with this).......so after about $5 billion spent the new government scrapped the long gun registry which most provinces had already done..........

So if us nice Canadians ignore what our federal government says how do you think it will play out in the US ......

Emu that was a good ......now let me tell you what happened in Canada.

Back in the early 90s a guy in Montreal went and killed a load of women students with an AK47 or similar at a university........there was rightfully outrage everywhere.

So the federal government of the time introduced the `Gun Registry` this was supposed to keep us good folks safe.......all firearms had to be registered even WW2 momentos.

What happened was the only people who registered their firearms were the ones who had their firearms confiscated by the federal government less than 5% of all firearms in Canada.

No one else registered (get where I`m going with this).......so after about $5 billion spent the new government scrapped the long gun registry which most provinces had already done..........

So if us nice Canadians ignore what our federal government says how do you think it will play out in the US ......

The government doesn't confiscate guns. Perhaps you're thinking of the R.C.M.P.

Here are some facts about the long-gun registry from Statistics Canada:

The Registry was set up in 1995.

The cost of the Registry from 1995-2009 was $1.23 billion (not $5 billion).

From 1995-2010 there was a 41% reduction in homicides by long guns.

As of September, 2011 these are the number of long-guns registered: 7,137,386 non-restricted firearms; 528,323 restricted firearms; 200,285 prohibited firearms. Weapons confiscated by the police would have been those falling under the "prohibited" category.

The government doesn't confiscate guns. Perhaps you're thinking of the R.C.M.P.

The cost of the Registry from 1995-2009 was $1.23 billion (not $5 billion).

From 1995-2010 there was a 41% reduction in homicides by long guns.

As of September, 2011 these are the number of long-guns registered: 7,137,386 non-restricted firearms; 528,323 restricted firearms; 200,285 prohibited firearms. Weapons confiscated by the police would have been those falling under the "prohibited" category.

Surely Sarnie wasn't embellishing to suit his argument ?

- a constitutional amendment will never happen ...you got to believe on this despite what you think about the US they will

but they will never give up their constitutional rights or freedoms.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amendments_to_the_United_States_Constitution

"Approximately 11,539 proposals to amend the Constitution have been introduced in Congress since 1789.[1] Collectively, members of the House and Senate typically propose around 200 amendments during each two–year term of Congress.[2] Most however, never get out of the Congressional committees in which they were proposed, and only a fraction of those that do receive enough support to win Congressional approval to actually go through the constitutional ratification process."

Because it just wont happen to the second amendment..............and BTW would have voted for him in 2008 and 2012 as would most Canadians......what makes you think I wouldn't .........oh showing your dumb brit side :)

Good work dodging the point...

Obama, the US President - who you would have voted for (twice) - believes that greater gun control is required.

What is your response to him?

I honestly don't understand why you guys are still feeding the most successful ever trolling on this site. It seems to me that Sarnia has an endless supply of semen, and he is spraying you guys with it every single day.

It seems to be a symbiotic relationship.

I honestly don't understand why you guys are still feeding the most successful ever trolling on this site. It seems to me that Sarnia has an endless supply of semen, and he is spraying you guys with it every single day.

....and every fifty or so posts some sap comes on here making out they have a higher understanding of this thread than the rest of us.

....and every fifty or so posts some sap comes on here making out they have a higher understanding of this thread than the rest of us.

No, not really. I just think it got old weeks ago. It has come to the point where both Sarnia and his opponents are parodies of themselves.

No, not really. I just think it got old weeks ago. It has come to the point where both Sarnia and his opponents are parodies of themselves.

You could simply ignore the thread. It's pretty easy to ignore things you know.

The government doesn't confiscate guns. Perhaps you're thinking of the R.C.M.P. Isnt the RCMP an arm of the Federal Government of Canada???.........wow your splitting of hairs knows no bounds.

The cost of the Registry from 1995-2009 was $1.23 billion (not $5 billion). Cost a lot of money to achieve f*ck all

From 1995-2010 there was a 41% reduction in homicides by long guns. How many long gun deaths does that equal not in percentages actual numbers.

As of September, 2011 these are the number of long-guns registered: 7,137,386 non-restricted firearms; 528,323 restricted firearms; 200,285 prohibited firearms. Weapons confiscated by the police would have been those falling under the "prohibited" category. How many unregistered?? If you know the answer to that tell me.......you know where I am :)

OK await your reply

Surely Sarnie wasn't embellishing to suit his argument ?

So he believes the dollar figure from StatsCan.....believe me it was much higher when you take into account the cost to Provincial and Local Police Departments. I already made my comments on the firearms numbers in post #2174

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amendments_to_the_United_States_Constitution

"Approximately 11,539 proposals to amend the Constitution have been introduced in Congress since 1789.[1] Collectively, members of the House and Senate typically propose around 200 amendments during each two–year term of Congress.[2] Most however, never get out of the Congressional committees in which they were proposed, and only a fraction of those that do receive enough support to win Congressional approval to actually go through the constitutional ratification process."

How many have actually amended a previous amendment......look it up !!!!

Good work dodging the point...

Obama, the US President - who you would have voted for (twice) - believes that greater gun control is required.

What is your response to him?

Go for it!! even if you only take AK47s of the streets (which is the best he can hope for)..........btw these weapons are not common place among the general population........was an incident here in Ontario where some Quebec gang robbed a jewellery store in London ON and were shooting at the cops with automatic weapons from the sunroof while being chased down Highway 402......rolled the vehicle at 160 klicks and all died.

So even in Canada the criminals have them.

For some reason everyone cums back for more :) including you

What is wrong with America?

The fact that most Americans think that Born in the USA is some kind of Republican American anthem.

How about "Rocking in the Free World" .......Trumps tune (by Canadian Neil Young who was ****ed off about it)

Edited by SarniaSaint

How about "Rocking in the Free World" .......Trumps tune (by Canadian Neil Young who was ****ed off about it)

A wonderful tune Sarnia I'll give you that. I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse perform Born in the USA last night and you would think that everyone would have got the message. He really gave it some welly. Unfortunately when the camera panned to the audience besuited idiots were puffing out their chests and singing the chorus as if it was the National Anthem? They need to listen to the words.

OK await your reply

No, the RCMP is definitely not "an arm" of the federal government. Sure, it is mandated to enforce federal law; but it is also contracted to enforce provincial law in 8 provinces (Ontario and Quebec have their own provincial police forces). It also enforces municipal law in about 200 municipalities, and it is the police force for about 200 aboriginal communities.

We do not live in a police state. The police do not operate under the direct supervision of government. In democracies there is a separation between law-making and law-enforcing. The police work independently to enforce law and to maintain order.

That you don't understand this basic distinction is typical. And then you have the nerve to accuse me of "splitting hairs".

:rolleyes:

A wonderful tune Sarnia I'll give you that. I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse perform Born in the USA last night and you would think that everyone would have got the message. He really gave it some welly. Unfortunately when the camera panned to the audience besuited idiots were puffing out their chests and singing the chorus as if it was the National Anthem? They need to listen to the words.

Some people are great with the literal, but not so good with the ironic.

When Randy Newman put out his song about bigotry called "Short People", many people completely misconstrued his meaning and complained about his apparent prejudice against the height-challenged!

Where did you see them???..........yes it is a great tune..........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdiCJUysIT0

Edited by SarniaSaint

No, the RCMP is definitely not "an arm" of the federal government. Sure, it is mandated to enforce federal law; but it is also contracted to enforce provincial law in 8 provinces (Ontario and Quebec have their own provincial police forces). It also enforces municipal law in about 200 municipalities, and it is the police force for about 200 aboriginal communities.

We do not live in a police state. The police do not operate under the direct supervision of government. In democracies there is a separation between law-making and law-enforcing. The police work independently to enforce law and to maintain order.

That you don't understand this basic distinction is typical. And then you have the nerve to accuse me of "splitting hairs".

:rolleyes:

So according to you the RCMP is not part of the federal government.........how come the RCMP and CSIS are the agencies that provide national security.............they do that on their own and don't answer to the government ???

Thank god I live in a city (pop 73000) that has its own police force that we have shown we are willing to fund. Nobody wants the OPP here.

Oh BTW you never answered how many firearms were not registered under the Chretien Liberals attempt to turn Canada into a police state.

So just try and answer that 1 question..........I would bet that you are a teacher or retired teacher :)

Some people are great with the literal, but not so good with the ironic.

When Randy Newman put out his song about bigotry called "Short People", many people completely misconstrued his meaning and complained about his apparent prejudice against the height-challenged!

Never thought that song meaning and words could be misinterpreted........