What is wrong with America

Red Alert

That could be regarded as a typically racist response.

My response or the response of the officer? If the former, please explain why as I don't want to keep making that mistake... I am 68 and obviously get confused by such things.

My response or the response of the officer? If the former, please explain why as I don't want to keep making that mistake... I am 68 and obviously get confused by such things.

I was referring to your response. You have have raised the question as to whether the racial characteristics of the victim and of the officer were significant. They may have been, but to raise the matter displays an unhealthy preoccupation with skin colour.

(I am playing devil's advocate here)

Thanks - I now know, I think. Basically a person killed another person and that is obviously wrong but to assume from other similar events that there was a racial element in the murder was also wrong. I'll refrain from such assumptions in the future (I might still think them though).

Thanks - I now know, I think. Basically a person killed another person and that is obviously wrong but to assume from other similar events that there was a racial element in the murder was also wrong. I'll refrain from such assumptions in the future (I might still think them though).

To be honest I tend to have your outlook on events too.

I was referring to your response. You have have raised the question as to whether the racial characteristics of the victim and of the officer were significant. They may have been, but to raise the matter displays an unhealthy preoccupation with skin colour.

What? That is utter nonsense. You can't play devils advocate by just typing a load of old ********.

What? That is utter nonsense. You can't play devils advocate by just typing a load of old ********.

Perhaps badly phrased. I was trying to take the same line that the modern politically correct use with regards to implicit racism, but with the roles reversed. A bit abstruse perhaps but not worth getting upset over.

Hey that's interesting.............I work on a road that parallels a Canadian National Railroad line......its about 1000 ft away.

Anyhow the CNR cops have been handing out speeding tickets on the road, its a 50 klick limit claiming they have jurisdiction within 300 meters of their line..........so what I do when I see them is give them the finger and speed up to 70 klicks real fast as a dare to just try and get a reaction ...........BTW they are there to protect the CNR tunnel under the St Clair river and the rail yards so must be bored or not doing their real job.

Ask to see some ID from them before you hand over your drivers license......there are real cops. faux cops and really fake cops out there.

OK, I can see you are obviously bigging yourself up for the guys on the internet, no problem. If you really do pull that crap with any kind of a cop with a gun, (Of course we know that you don't) you won't be around here much longer anyway.

You really are a total idiot.

So you see a common theme being exhibited by my vocal detractors :)

OK, I can see you are obviously bigging yourself up for the guys on the internet, no problem. If you really do pull that crap with any kind of a cop with a gun, (Of course we know that you don't) you won't be around here much longer anyway.

You really are a total idiot.

You don't know me do you ..............I was talking about the CNR cops ............BTW thanks for calling me an idiot .......truth is I don't give a f*ck what you think about me or call me HTH

.your lack of knowledge about North America should really embarrass you

The only thing I should feel embarrassed about is that I keep taking your bait. My knowledge of North America is more than adequate for my needs, and far greater than many US residents.

Well this thread is well lively ... keep it going guys :)

My input on the subject , after a week in California. Really nice people, very friendly, very service-minded. No trouble or guns spotted yet. Plenty of sirens every night. Been through some proper ****ty (redneck) towns, like Merced. What a dump.

Loads of homeless in every park in every town.

Trump seems to be the next president. Obama is not a popular dude. Plenty of mexicans.

Petrol cheap, chrisps expensive.

And spoke to Pedro of FCBarca in Victoria Secrets. He was shopping, i was just hanging around, as you do!

You don't know me do you ..............I was talking about the CNR cops ............BTW thanks for calling me an idiot .......truth is I don't give a f*ck what you think about me or call me HTH

I wasn't calling you an idiot out of hand. I did it based on your own testimony.

.........so what I do when I see them is give them the finger and speed up to 70 klicks real fast as a dare to just try and get a reaction

Those are the actions of an idiot, in my opinion.

Perhaps if Ontario's most infamous 'care in the community' victim could explain why he is so utterly convinced that he is right about everything, and that EVERYBODY else is always wrong, then he might gain a smidgeon of respect on here, rather than the daily dose of ridicule he so richly deserves.

PS - now if (as I suspect) the answer to the above question will be some puerile ''but I live in N America and you don't'' line, then that will not do because EVERY other American member on here has also called you a fool haven't they?

55949221.jpg

Well this thread is well lively ... keep it going guys :)

My input on the subject , after a week in California. Really nice people, very friendly, very service-minded. No trouble or guns spotted yet. Plenty of sirens every night. Been through some proper ****ty (redneck) towns, like Merced. What a dump.

Loads of homeless in every park in every town.

Trump seems to be the next president. Obama is not a popular dude. Plenty of mexicans.

Petrol cheap, chrisps expensive.

And spoke to Pedro of FCBarca in Victoria Secrets. He was shopping, i was just hanging around, as you do!

Hey good post..........just a few things.

Trump will never ever be Prez

If you think gas is cheap in California its $2,48 a gallon in Michigan and cheaper in other states.

Chrisps I assume are chips.............. again maybe in CA but can get 24 oz for 2.99 in Michigan.

Now what were you doing in Victoria's Secret :)

• 2 weeks later...

in our hotel in Italy, we got talking to an American couple on night. They were both in their late 60s, he owned a Law firm in New York and we asked about the US obsession with Guns.

The response was basically, Dont go there as it is an 'American's right' to bear arms and no one should be able to change that.

just plain bizarre if you ask me

in our hotel in Italy, we got talking to an American couple on night. They were both in their late 60s, he owned a Law firm in New York and we asked about the US obsession with Guns.

The response was basically, Dont go there as it is an 'American's right' to bear arms and no one should be able to change that.

You are lucky he didn't shoot you!

How did Sarnia get banned? I was enjoying his lively banter.

BTW if Trump becomes President I will cut off both my arms and change my name to 'Stumpy Joe Fencepost'.

Nooooooooooooo. They cant ban Sarnia! I was hoping this thread would go on longer than the Pompey thread!

Nooooooooooooo. They cant ban Sarnia! I was hoping this thread would go on longer than the Pompey thread!

To be fair - he bought absolutely nothing of relevance to, what could've been, a very interesting thread. America plainly does have a problem, and one that most politicians are too afraid to confront seriously. Simply saying that 'gun control will never happen because of the constitution', is ridiculous - does civil war have to break out before somebody decides that perhaps gun control should be considered?

The thread was also derailed somewhat as it tended to concentrate on high profile Police shootings (The Counted - Guardian - currently 731 Americans killed by police so far this year)

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database

If 731 have been killed by Police alone, how many others have been killed by way of crime, accidents or suicides? It is bizarre that supposedly intelligent people are content for this to continue and are more than happy to defend the indefensible. Sarnia was in an ideal position to actually provide a balanced viewpoint, but lacked the intelligence to either see that, or do so. When he started ranting I actually thought he was probably a 16 - 17 year old kid, later in the thread when it transpired that he was in his 60's, it sort of became a little worrying. But from his demeanor alone, you perhaps see why people are so blinkered.

As I said - the OP started a very interesting debate, as I see it America owes it to their children not to leave it until tomorrow, what they themselves, are too afraid to face today.

I wonder if any of the septic rednecks have thought about what three Americans without guns achieved on the Amsterdam to Paris train?

Exactly. Real heroes don't need guns!

The debate about gun rights is certainly heating up in the USA, which is what has triggered the right wing ammosexual reaction. I think this problem is pretty calcified and will take decades to even make a dent. But it's ever so slowly starting.

That is surprising as, stereotyping, you would expect a NYC lawyer to be a Democrat and more likely to be in favor of gun control. As I say, I'm stereotyping.

Maybe there can be a more rational debate now Sarnia is banned. Unfortunately, rational debate is so hard to have anywhere on any topic. This is a great country to live in. Yes, it has its issues, gun control being one of the biggest. I don't see anything changing, radically, in any of our lifetimes. jjsaint - it is moving slower than a glacier.

Obama should be in a perfect spot to try to make real change. He never will run for office again so take advantage of the last two years to propose radical change. It won't go through but maybe can advance the debate.

The second amendment right was there for a very different time - when communication was slow, everyone had the right to take up arms against another army - say if the British tried to take back the country. We don't need that now - we have armed police to defend us. Oh.

To be fair - he bought absolutely nothing of relevance to, what could've been, a very interesting thread. America plainly does have a problem, and one that most politicians are too afraid to confront seriously. Simply saying that 'gun control will never happen because of the constitution', is ridiculous - does civil war have to break out before somebody decides that perhaps gun control should be considered?

The thread was also derailed somewhat as it tended to concentrate on high profile Police shootings (The Counted - Guardian - currently 731 Americans killed by police so far this year)

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database

If 731 have been killed by Police alone, how many others have been killed by way of crime, accidents or suicides? It is bizarre that supposedly intelligent people are content for this to continue and are more than happy to defend the indefensible. Sarnia was in an ideal position to actually provide a balanced viewpoint, but lacked the intelligence to either see that, or do so. When he started ranting I actually thought he was probably a 16 - 17 year old kid, later in the thread when it transpired that he was in his 60's, it sort of became a little worrying. But from his demeanor alone, you perhaps see why people are so blinkered.

As I said - the OP started a very interesting debate, as I see it America owes it to their children not to leave it until tomorrow, what they themselves, are too afraid to face today.

Please excuse the pun, but someone needs to bite the bullet, and that someone is the President of the United States. What a great legacy it would be for Obama's last term if he was to advance the debate and put tighter gun control firmly on the agenda. Does he have the b@lls to grasp the nettle? Sadly, probably not.

The one thing i can't fathom out here is why y'all care so much?.....It seems Brits historically have had a problem with keeping their noses out of other peoples business.....What happens here has fukc all to do you, nothing, nadda, so there's no point in crying and wringing your hands about it...

There's a damned good reason you lot were sent packing back in 1776 and again in 1814...Most of us understand there's a big responsibility that comes with freedom and that will sometimes comes at a cost. But in the main we're happy with the way it is and much to the liberals disgust, our freedom has cast iron protection from a written Constitution and thankfully nothings changing anytime soon.

In the mean time you lot would probably be better off wringing your hands over some the major issue's you have closer to home...issues that maybe if you spent less time time poking your noses into things that don't concern you, you could maybe do something about.

The one thing i can't fathom out here is why y'all care so much?.....It seems Brits historically have had a problem with keeping their noses out of other peoples business.....What happens here has fukc all to do you, nothing, nadda, so there's no point in crying and wringing your hands about it...

There's a damned good reason you lot were sent packing back in 1776 and again in 1814...Most of us understand there's a big responsibility that comes with freedom and that will sometimes comes at a cost. But in the main we're happy with the way it is and much to the liberals disgust, our freedom has cast iron protection from a written Constitution and thankfully nothings changing anytime soon.

In the mean time you lot would probably be better off wringing your hands over some the major issue's you have closer to home...issues that maybe if you spent less time time poking your noses into things that don't concern you, you could maybe do something about.

Looking at other cultures is a good way of learning and improving, Saint George. Currently our children are not performing as well in Maths as those in South Asia - isn't it sensible to look at what they are doing and see if we can adopt any of their methods? Sorry if that sounds like poking your nose in. From looking at the gun situation in the USA we have learnt quite a lot as well... Perhaps if the USA were more liberal (it means free - not a bad thing to be) and less inward looking then it would study countries like Australia and see how they attained zero mass shootings in the past 20 years.

sadly the truth is that you like guns and nothing else really matters.

Vietnam, Korea, Middle East.........

Vietnam, Korea, Middle East.........

The US had either been asked for assistance or already had a dog in the fight in all the above. You can add the 2 world wars to that as well...I don't see anyone from the US government, even the current one requesting advice from limeys on gun control....You lot sold most aspects of freedom you had down the river years ago, that's your prerogative, you wanted government in every aspect of your lives and you got it. Just get on with it and accept other cultures have chosen to live a different way.

@rpb .........To learn, first you need to understand and 'understanding' other cultures is something limey's have been historically **** poor at.....Just check out this thread for instance...full of clueless idiots trying to dictate how people in another country and totally unconnected should live their lives without the slightest clue how life here maybe different to the UK .....Most of you can't even hear the word "soccer" or a "z" where you use a "s" without sneering...It's not the 'British' way so it has to be wrong! right? Well guess what?....most people here don't give a flying **** what you think, or how much you sneer.

The US had either been asked for assistance or already had a dog in the fight in all the above. You can add the 2 world wars to that as well...I don't see anyone from the US government, even the current one requesting advice from limeys on gun control....You lot sold most aspects of freedom you had down the river years ago, that's your prerogative, you wanted government in every aspect of your lives and you got it. Just get on with it and accept other cultures have chosen to live a different way.

@rpb .........To learn, first you need to understand and 'understanding' other cultures is something limey's have been historically **** poor at.....Just check out this thread for instance...full of clueless idiots trying to dictate how people in another country and totally unconnected should live their lives without the slightest clue how life here maybe different to the UK .....Most of you can't even hear the word "soccer" or a "z" where you use a "s" without sneering...It's not the 'British' way so it has to be wrong! right? Well guess what?....most people here don't give a flying **** what you think, or how much you sneer.

Your energy would be much better spent not on this thread but by single handedly saving Southampton Football Club again. Many of us will never forget what you did for us last year and we need you so bad right now.

Just how much indoctrinated nonsense can you fit in one quote.....If we truly wanted the 13 colonies back in 1776, we would have taken them. We beat you (not our native allies or German hessian troops who Andrew Jackson beat) in every city we fought until our "friends" in Europe gathered together and roundly gave us a bit of a pasting. Even then we STAYED...did you hear me? STAYED in North America, you did NOT kick us out. After we signed the FRENCH WON peace deal, we decided we'd make far more money trading with you...And defending you (read the Monroe Doctrine) and helping you militarily to grow as you have by enforcing such doctrine with the most powerful naval force for the last 300 years. So don't come on here spouting such stereotypical nonsense.

Excuse me for being off topic for a moment, but Jesus H Christ St George!!!

I can understand you being immersed in your new culture, emphasizing with your new compatriots. I can absolutely understand you seeing the point of view of those around you. You have every right to rail against British sensibilities if you wish. Some of what you say is with merit.

However.

You are talking like a cult member. Your comments lack moderation and seem to come straight out of an American nationalist handbook.

I like living here. I like the people in Ohio, and have a lot of respect for them. I understand that some things are better here, other things are better elsewhere.

You, though, seem to be reading from the redneck handbook. Please, please, get a grip. I thought you were a bit nuts a year or so ago, but now you seem to be completely losing the plot.

Take a breath and think about what you say before you say it. It seems to me that you are mixing with a bunch of skinheads.

Also, please don't use 1812 as an example as that was an unsuccessful land grab whilst our backs were turned dealing with the rest of the planet. I have caught the train from Toronto to Washington DC; it took me about 9 hours. The troops, with a written ceasefire agreement in their hands MARCHED, unopposed for that distance on foot, so you think a weaker army on foreign soil can do that for however long it took? Also, what happened when we got there? you fired at us. So burned your whole capital down (supposedly they still paint the white house today to remove the black burn marks).

Blimey, the star-spangled banner is about us pulverising one of your cities. I've spent a lot of time in the US and most Americans I know and happily call friends don't spout such nonsense and this is from a guy who's spent 3 fourth of July's in your nation's capital whilst living with highly educated Americans for months.