What is wrong with America

Red Alert

Well since I have never seen the TV show .................how the f*ck can I reply to an insult ...............guess if you guys watch it and it is a US show......mmmmmmmmmmmm

You follow a British football team and spend your life "debating" on a .co.uk hosted messageboard mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well since I have never seen the TV show .................how the f*ck can I reply to an insult ...............guess if you guys watch it and it is a US show......mmmmmmmmmmmm

You need to get onto YouTube and look for episodes - it's particularly fond of Canadians.

Would you mind highlighting which of the last batch of replies need to be filed in the "reasoned/rational debate" pile. It's so difficult to tell them apart from the ham fisted troll drivel.

I like to be able to drink in the posts when you're really trying and your little brain is composing a "reasoned" or "rational" response. I like the idea of you leaning back in your chair and congratulating yourself on how rational you're being.

Anyway, a list of post numbers of your rational debate replies each night would be a jolly handy ready reckoner for us. Saves trawling through the reactionary, LOL-strewn barely literate garbage you also post.

Because you are desperate to have a reasoned debate here aren't you, yes? Aren't you?

So, post numbers please.

Go to #2091

Reduce the number of guns in private ownership, and make it much harder to acquire them in the first place.

As Aleksander Orlov would put it, "simples".

A start...... but how would you take them out of private ownership........think about it and its not `simples

Is that the best you can do..tut tut

Oh dear - things are getting better though, the policeman didn't shoot her!

http://bennorton.com/dashcam-video-of-violent-arrest-of-sandra-bland-was-edited/

Not as bad as Donald Trump clearly leading in the race for the Republican Presidential nomination.

These incidents are all normal signs of a healthy society.

Apologies in advance it this has already been put in this thread but is p*ss funny.

Jim Jefferies on US Gun Controls - PS Language alert!

"Your first amendment says that I can say your second amendment sucks d*cks"

https://youtu.be/HZFLk5L70MQ

:yawn: you guys !!!! :)

So you agree that you are out of your depth and are clueless when it comes to a real discussion....

The fact that you are patting yourself on the back for that post demonstrates very clearly which one of us is out of our depth.

Let's be clear, and it is something I have said several times now, I am not entering a debate with you. I've read enough of your drivel to not bother.

The fact that you are patting yourself on the back for that post demonstrates very clearly which one of us is out of our depth.

Let's be clear, and it is something I have said several times now, I am not entering a debate with you. I've read enough of your drivel to not bother.

OK .........so the best thing for you to do is just say bye ......

Yes but Australia is not the USA..........how did they do it in Australia .......genuine question.

Have a look at John Oliver's take on it - he addresses both of your questions (genuine answer)

There are three parts...

Yes but Australia is not the USA..........how did they do it in Australia .......genuine question.

It's long and complex but I think it started when Australia federated peacefully with a trustworthy representative government at the time, it didn't entertain the slave trade and didn't go to civil war - so starting from its colonial infancy there's never been a real need, or feeling of need towards firearms in the general community beyond police and farmers.

The other major difference is that Australia has constitutionally evolved over the years so are not hung up over Amendments that can't be amended.

Just the way I see it as a simple Australian.

There must be records of the legally registered guns, so follow the paper trail.

True ............but a couple (three) of things to consider.

If they are legally registered what has the owner done wrong ???

What do you do about all the other firearms??

Would require a constitutional amendment ...........which will never happen.

I was called a racist when I said that 99% of gun crime was committed in inner city neighbor hoods and do you think that those firearms were legally registered?? only if stolen from the true owner!!

The only way change will happen is if the people want change........hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Have a look at John Oliver's take on it - he addresses both of your questions (genuine answer)

There are three parts...

It's long and complex but I think it started when Australia federated peacefully with a trustworthy representative government at the time, it didn't entertain the slave trade and didn't go to civil war - so starting from its colonial infancy there's never been a real need, or feeling of need towards firearms in the general community beyond police and farmers.

The other major difference is that Australia has constitutionally evolved over the years so are not hung up over Amendments that can't be amended.

Just the way I see it as a simple Australian.

Emu you got the difference between the US and Australia right on ........so rpb go to post 2133

I was called a racist when I said that 99% of gun crime was committed in inner city neighbor hoods and do you think that those firearms were registered??

You got called a racist for posts like this:

OK ...........so you believe that Youtube showed everything that happened ......the before and during..........I really thought that you were more intelligent than that but hey you believe what you want.........

BTW was in Michigan today and guess what.........no violence, no white cops chasing ni...oops blacks .....so I hope that you can understand my opinion OK

Keep it rational, now.

more needless deaths by a gunman in America

Obama made a striking point. less than 100 people have died in the US at the hands of traditional terrorism since 9/11

over 10,000 people have died by the way of the gun in the same period.

yanks are just plain weird about their gun obsession

True ............but a couple (three) of things to consider. Five actually ;-).

If they are legally registered what has the owner done wrong ??? Nothing, but the point of gun control is to have fewer guns.

What do you do about all the other firearms?? #1 offer an amnesty. #2 ensure that any that are discovered are permanently put beyond use.

Would require a constitutional amendment ...........which will never happen. Given enough support it could. The whole point of the argument is over the interpretation of a constitutional amendment.

I was called a racist when I said that 99% of gun crime was committed in inner city neighbor hoods and do you think that those firearms were legally registered?? only if stolen from the true owner!! If there were fewer registered guns, there would be fewer guns to steal.

The only way change will happen is if the people want change........hope you understand what I am trying to say. I understand perfectly, ( and duplicating punctuation marks adds nothing to your argument ). What makes you think that it will never happen ?

Now this is approaching a debate, much better than your previous drivel.

Edited by badgerx16

Except it has happened - 33 times over the years. Why is another amendment so completely unthinkable? Yep, after these 33 amendments, the Constitution is finally *perfect* and need never be changed again under any circumstances...

Oh and guess who else is not on your side of this debate Sarnia? Here's a US-based source, just for you: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/07/23/obama-tells-bbc-that-he-is-most-frustrated-with-failure-to-get-tougher-gun-laws/

the United States of America is the one advanced nation on Earth in which we do not have sufficient commonsense gun safety laws even in the face of repeated mass killings

It's ok, I know you wouldn't have voted for him anyway, even if you were a US citizen. It rather undermines your mantra of "we Brits just don't get it" when the leader of the country is saying the same thing, don't you think?

Now I'm on my laptop instead of phone, maybe for the Australian model I can add more context.

Firearm Licence

Firstly, before even entertaining the idea of owning a firearm any said person must actually have a firearm licence which comes in various categories based on the type of weapon.

There are numerous reasons for this.

- The first part of the paper trail starts here.

- It ensures that the gun owner is educated on the responsibilities of owning a gun, has a genuine need for it, and is deemed fit and proper. (my words)

- It restricts the "legal" sales of guns AND ammunition to only those with the correct licences.

Think of it the same as a driving licence.

Firearm Registration

The next step is that once the licensed gun owner has purchased the gun, the gun must be registered and also regularly (possibly yearly) registered by presenting the firearm to the police for inspection.

The main reason I suspect is to regulate the legal exchange of firearms and restrict the type of firearms.

If they are legally registered what has the owner done wrong ???

Absolutely nothing (unless they start blatting people). In addition to the aforementioned benefits the main aim isn't about suppressing those with a licence, but suppressing those without.

What do you do about all the other firearms??

It's difficult, there will always be a black market for firearms but it comes at a cost. This is where the registration is at its most useful. As an example in America almost anyone can pick up a semi automatic assault rifle with ammo at a local walmart for a few hundred dollars, because it is so easy and there's no trail.

In Australia, if you are lucky you would get on the black market a pistol for about 30,000 dollars. So the illegal guns are mostly in the hands of hardened criminals and crime gangs, used invariably against other hardened criminals and crime gangs, not some pimply faced teenager having a meltdown because he got picked on for wearing braces. (although still can happen - see below)

I wouldn't expect you to have known this, but in Australia immediately after the worlds worst gun massacre (google Port Arthur Massacre) responded to make it harder for people to acquire semi and automatic weapons - that were at the time legal to buy and own. However, constitutionally Parliament could not just pass a law to confiscate weapons from existing legal gun owners. It had nothing to do with guns per se, but rather a ubiquitous ownership law surrounding the inability of governments to take something away from people that they already own. Fair enough.

So a rather novel approach they took was introduce a firearms amnesty where, for a period of time (maybe a year or two) the government would buy back at around $600 a pop all the firearms they wanted out of the public domain.

Why is this relevant?

Because I think, it illustrates that Americans using the 2nd amendment and the constitution is just a sloppy default excuse.

The truth moreover is that there is no social or political will to improve things. I think this sadly is the kicker between US and AUS (and possibly the rest of the civilized world) and why outsiders looking in regularly shake their head in dismay at US gun laws.

*Footnote

The other thing worth mentioning is that Australia doesn't have a thriving domestic firearms so the firearm lobby groups are politically weak. Conversely the US gun manufacturers profit heavily on Americans diametrically opposing psyche of fear and aggression which must weigh heavily on the decision makers on Capital Hill (or at least with down their pockets).

Emu you got the difference between the US and Australia right on ........so rpb go to post 2133

Emu's contributions have indeed been thoughtful and illuminating. Did you look at the John Oliver 'investigations', Sarnia? They are obviously 'staged' but do raise some relevant points -

terrific post Emu!!

The issue in America has far less to do with common sense than it has to do with being 'Murican"

"Because I think, it illustrates that Americans using the 2nd amendment and the constitution is just a sloppy default excuse."..........Like an amendment can't be amended!