What is wrong with America

Red Alert

The US had either been asked for assistance or already had a dog in the fight in all the above. You can add the 2 world wars to that as well...I don't see anyone from the US government, even the current one requesting advice from limeys on gun control....You lot sold most aspects of freedom you had down the river years ago, that's your prerogative, you wanted government in every aspect of your lives and you got it. Just get on with it and accept other cultures have chosen to live a different way.

@rpb .........To learn, first you need to understand and 'understanding' other cultures is something limey's have been historically **** poor at.....Just check out this thread for instance...full of clueless idiots trying to dictate how people in another country and totally unconnected should live their lives without the slightest clue how life here maybe different to the UK .....Most of you can't even hear the word "soccer" or a "z" where you use a "s" without sneering...It's not the 'British' way so it has to be wrong! right? Well guess what?....most people here don't give a flying **** what you think, or how much you sneer.

Spot the Donald Trump voter.

Excuse me for being off topic for a moment, but Jesus H Christ St George!!!

I can understand you being immersed in your new culture, emphasizing with your new compatriots. I can absolutely understand you seeing the point of view of those around you. You have every right to rail against British sensibilities if you wish. Some of what you say is with merit.

However.

You are talking like a cult member. Your comments lack moderation and seem to come straight out of an American nationalist handbook.

I like living here. I like the people in Ohio, and have a lot of respect for them. I understand that some things are better here, other things are better elsewhere.

You, though, seem to be reading from the redneck handbook. Please, please, get a grip. I thought you were a bit nuts a year or so ago, but now you seem to be completely losing the plot.

Take a breath and think about what you say before you say it. It seems to me that you are mixing with a bunch of skinheads.

Well said!

Also, please don't use 1812 as an example as that was an unsuccessful land grab whilst our backs were turned dealing with the rest of the planet. I have caught the train from Toronto to Washington DC; it took me about 9 hours. The troops, with a written ceasefire agreement in their hands MARCHED, unopposed for that distance on foot, so you think a weaker army on foreign soil can do that for however long it took? Also, what happened when we got there? you fired at us. So burned your whole capital down (supposedly they still paint the white house today to remove the black burn marks).

Blimey, the star-spangled banner is about us pulverising one of your cities. I've spent a lot of time in the US and most Americans I know and happily call friends don't spout such nonsense and this is from a guy who's spent 3 fourth of July's in your nation's capital whilst living with highly educated Americans for months.

Jimmie Driftwood captured part of that war well.......immortalized by Johnny Horton

We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.

There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.

We fired once more and they began to runnin' on

Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

Yeah, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles

And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.

They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em

The US had either been asked for assistance or already had a dog in the fight in all the above. You can add the 2 world wars to that as well...I don't see anyone from the US government, even the current one requesting advice from limeys on gun control....You lot sold most aspects of freedom you had down the river years ago, that's your prerogative, you wanted government in every aspect of your lives and you got it. Just get on with it and accept other cultures have chosen to live a different way.

@rpb .........To learn, first you need to understand and 'understanding' other cultures is something limey's have been historically **** poor at.....Just check out this thread for instance...full of clueless idiots trying to dictate how people in another country and totally unconnected should live their lives without the slightest clue how life here maybe different to the UK .....Most of you can't even hear the word "soccer" or a "z" where you use a "s" without sneering...It's not the 'British' way so it has to be wrong! right? Well guess what?....most people here don't give a flying **** what you think, or how much you sneer.

You don't have any more freedom you f@ckwit. Give some loon the right to own an assault rifle and you deprive everyone else the right to live without the fear of getting shot by some maniac. Society needs rules and controls to stop it descending into chaos.

Having to own you own killing machine in order to feel safe is not freedom, it's the opposite.

Jimmie Driftwood captured part of that war well.......immortalized by Johnny Horton

We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.

There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.

We fired once more and they began to runnin' on

Yeah, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles

And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.

They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em

It's a song. You can make anything up in a song. The US is only as powerful as it is now for ironically a couple of reasons: 1. All the immigrants you (for example the Irish) didn't initially want (the "anglo-saxon", slave-owning founding fathers certainly didn't want any Irish) and 2. All the war profiteering you made from the last 2 world wars (the first one you were only in for a year and had to borrow our airplanes).

I am always confused as to why Americans dislike the French, when they should love them; they won them their country. Although Haiti is a good example of how much value France and England placed in the continent of North America. They lost that and essentially said sod it and gave you the colonies they had left in North America....Soooo I would suggest to you they valued the carribean islands (as did we at the time) much higher than the 13 colonies. But then most US citizens find it hard to comprehend what a tiny pawn they were in a global game.

Just when it looked like the thread was dead... up pops Saint George to finally answer the question of what is wrong with America.

I love that us Brits are accused of sticking our noses into their business. Any right-minded person will be appalled at the daily carnage caused by the lack of gun control in the States. This latest outrage even has pictures for us all so that the whole world can see the result of the right to bear arms. When on earth will they learn?

You don't have any more freedom you f@ckwit. Give some loon the right to own an assault rifle and you deprive everyone else the right to live without the fear of getting shot by some maniac. Society needs rules and controls to stop it descending into chaos.

Having to own you own killing machine in order to feel safe is not freedom, it's the opposite.

There is none so blind as he who will not see.

I love that us Brits are accused of sticking our noses into their business. Any right-minded person will be appalled at the daily carnage caused by the lack of gun control in the States. This latest outrage even has pictures for us all so that the whole world can see the result of the right to bear arms. When on earth will they learn?

I think more Americans then anyone realizes know there is a massive problem but they get screamed at if they raise their voices. What happened to good old fashioned debate? Love him or hate him, Piers Morgan posted the pictures on Twitter yesterday and, as he wanted, got screamed and yelled at. Only seen the headline but it suggested that Marco Rubio, a presidential candidate, had commented that what is wrong with society that so many people value others' lives so cheaply that they think nothing of shooting so many. Would "gun control" make a difference? How would you get all the illegal guns out of circulation? Obama despairs of the situation and if a president feels like that, what hope is there?

There are some valid points in the screamings of our fellow posters but are lost in their screaming. It requires rational debate. No one trying to take away anyone's freedoms but we need to put more value on human life.

I think more Americans then anyone realizes know there is a massive problem but they get screamed at if they raise their voices. What happened to good old fashioned debate? Love him or hate him, Piers Morgan posted the pictures on Twitter yesterday and, as he wanted, got screamed and yelled at. Only seen the headline but it suggested that Marco Rubio, a presidential candidate, had commented that what is wrong with society that so many people value others' lives so cheaply that they think nothing of shooting so many. Would "gun control" make a difference? How would you get all the illegal guns out of circulation? Obama despairs of the situation and if a president feels like that, what hope is there?

There are some valid points in the screamings of our fellow posters but are lost in their screaming. It requires rational debate. No one trying to take away anyone's freedoms but we need to put more value on human life.

Legalise and tax most drugs; release low level non-violent drug offenders to free up prison space; have a gun amnesty paid for by drug tax and make having an automatic weapon an immediate medium length prison sentence.

You can still bear arms without automatics, but it would be much harder to commit mass murder with 6 shot revolvers and pump action shotguns (would be impossible to legislate fully against guns, but getting it down to non-automatic weapons may eventually be doable)

The one thing i can't fathom out here is why y'all care so much?.....It seems Brits historically have had a problem with keeping their noses out of other peoples business.....What happens here has fukc all to do you, nothing, nadda, so there's no point in crying and wringing your hands about it...

There's a damned good reason you lot were sent packing back in 1776 and again in 1814...Most of us understand there's a big responsibility that comes with freedom and that will sometimes comes at a cost. But in the main we're happy with the way it is and much to the liberals disgust, our freedom has cast iron protection from a written Constitution and thankfully nothings changing anytime soon.

In the mean time you lot would probably be better off wringing your hands over some the major issue's you have closer to home...issues that maybe if you spent less time time poking your noses into things that don't concern you, you could maybe do something about.

Your opinions are welcomed, just as we would welcome the opinions of your average Yank:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm3kQIK9-7g

And of course, we always look forward to your opinions on this forum about our soccer team, which coincidentally has the same nickname as your local football team

Your opinions are welcomed, just as we would welcome the opinions of your average Yank:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm3kQIK9-7g

And of course, we always look forward to your opinions on this forum about our soccer team, which coincidentally has the same nickname as your local football team

The Royal 'We" eh?....Here's some news for ya buddy.....I don't give a **** whether you and your 'we' friends "welcome" my opinions on here or not and last time i checked, i didn't need 'your' permission to comment about 'our' soccer team here either, so you may as well get used to it, or put me on ignore up to you either way.

Oh, and 10/10 for powers of observation.....Yes, both New Orleans and Southampton have sports teams call the Saints...well done.

@Jonnyboy....bumchum eh?....Is that how your typical limey responds to an opinion they don't like......just hurl abuse?...kinda explains a lot.

The Royal 'We" eh?....Here's some news for ya buddy.....I don't give a **** whether you and your 'we' friends "welcome" my opinions on here or not and last time i checked, i didn't need 'your' permission to comment about 'our' soccer team here either, so you may as well get used to it, or put me on ignore up to you either way.

Oh, and 10/10 for powers of observation.....Yes, both New Orleans and Southampton have sports teams call the Saints...well done.

@Jonnyboy....bumchum eh?....Is that how your typical limey responds to an opinion they don't like......just hurl abuse?...kinda explains a lot.

Limey? :lol:

I am not entirely sure if St George's posts are genius responses to the original question or the rantings of a dimwit.

Sadly, we're probably in dimwit territory but they (the posts) still possess a certain pithy brilliance that really does get to the crux of the issue.

I am not entirely sure if St George's posts are genius responses to the original question or the rantings of a dimwit.

Sadly, we're probably in dimwit territory but they (the posts) still possess a certain pithy brilliance that really does get to the crux of the issue.

I seriously doubt if Saint George is American or lives in America. Just a character act with off the peg troll opinions on climate change, gun control, general right wing cliché stuff done badly. Tie that up with his spectacularly transparent trolling on the main board and bingo. It's a hobby.

Why would I put you on ignore and lose all that entertainment value you provide?

Maybe Fry is right and you aren't a Yank at all, but just like to adopt the persona for your own amusement.

If so, you have my admiration for playing the red-neck/trailer park trash yank to perfection.

I seriously doubt if Saint George is American or lives in America. Just a character act with off the peg troll opinions on climate change, gun control, general right wing cliché stuff done badly. Tie that up with his spectacularly transparent trolling on the main board and bingo. It's a hobby.

Let's not forget his obsession with male gay prison sex in the showers (we shouldn't judge, everyone needs something to crack one off to), or that he supported Palin and has been waiting (a very long time) for Obama to be unmasked as a non-American due to his iffy birth certificate.

On the up side, he saved Saints last season with his strongly worded post on the main board. We should never forget that.

The British totalitarian State at it's finest......I'm sure you'll all be out celebrating tonight, i mean he could have had someone's eye out with that toy, just as well he's behind bars and with a criminal record for life...just what the scum deserved

Ah yes, the two World Wars. What did Churchill call it? Splendid Isolation? You took your time joining in those didn't you. I think many of the "Limeys" on here who have contributed to the debate have spent time in America and have a good idea how the American culture works (that's another thing about us Limeys, we do like to travel). We understand (because we are well educated and well travelled) that it is not a good idea to let people loose with guns. We exercise our right to free speach to articulate our problem with the carnage that goes on in a part of the world we all share that happens to be called America that is caused by people with guns. We do this because we are concerned about the well being of our fellow man. We also don't want to be shot by some psychopath (or police officer) when we go on holiday there.

The British totalitarian State at it's finest......I'm sure you'll all be out celebrating tonight, i mean he could have had someone's eye out with that toy, just as well he's behind bars and with a criminal record for life...just what the scum deserved

'Bird has 58 previous court appearances for 95 offences.' I suspect that he already had a criminal record.

Actually I find it very reassuring that an idiot with a fake gun is considered a serious threat - I wonder how he would have been dealt with in the Good Ol' US of A. No I don't, I know what would have happened to him...

Ah yes, the two World Wars. What did Churchill call it? Splendid Isolation? You took your time joining in those didn't you. I think many of the "Limeys" on here who have contributed to the debate have spent time in America and have a good idea how the American culture works (that's another thing about us Limeys, we do like to travel). We understand (because we are well educated and well travelled) that it is not a good idea to let people loose with guns. We exercise our right to free speach to articulate our problem with the carnage [/b]that goes on in a part of the world we all share[/b] that happens to be called America that is caused by people with guns. We do this because we are concerned about the well being of our fellow man. We also don't want to be shot by some psychopath (or police officer) when we go on holiday there.

You share?.....What part of the American declaration of Independence don't you understand? did history completly pass you by? or are you so stuck up your self that you believe everything involves you?....OK sounds like you need this nice and simple....What happens in the USA has **** all to do with you, nothing, nadda, and until you get to vote and pay taxes here, it never will.... As for your vacations here, you're always at liberty to visit somewhere else more to your understanding and liking.

And just to be totally clear. most of us who do vote and pay our taxes here are perfectly happy owning firearms and are happy to take personal responsibility for way they're used....Just a reminder for ya....Its called Freedom.

Oh' and here's a little bit of info for you to help shed a little more light on your ignorance... There is no single "American culture"....This country is huge and diverse..You can barely compare living in New York with New Orleans or Las Vegas with Washington DC, Mississippi with New Jersey and then you have the Hispanic cultures of the South West no comparison with Washington further up the West Coast....We all have different laws and live in a diverse way, so if you can't even comprehend the basics, your so called "educated" opinion aint even worth a ****.

Now haven't you got anything better to do, like reporting your neighbor for dropping recyclable cardboard in his garbage can? I mean that's what you limeys do over there isn't it?....Sure scum like that would deserve some jail time for a such a hideous crime

You share?.....What part of the American declaration of Independence don't you understand? did history completly pass you by? or are you so stuck up your self that you believe everything involves you?....OK sounds like you need this nice and simple....What happens in the USA has **** all to do with you, nothing, nadda, and until you get to vote and pay taxes here, it never will.... As for your vacations here, you're always at liberty to visit somewhere else more to your understanding and liking.

And just to be totally clear. most of us who do vote and pay our taxes here are perfectly happy owning firearms and are happy to take personal responsibility for way they're used....Just a reminder for ya....Its called Freedom.

Oh' and here's a little bit of info for you to help shed a little more light on your ignorance... There is no single "American culture"....This country is huge and diverse..You can barely compare living in New York with New Orleans or Las Vegas with Washington DC, Mississippi with New Jersey and then you have the Hispanic cultures of the South West no comparison with Washington further up the West Coast....We all have different laws and live in a diverse way, so if you can't even comprehend the basics, your so called "educated" opinion aint even worth a ****.

Now haven't you got anything better to do, like reporting your neighbor for dropping recyclable cardboard in his garbage can? I mean that's what you limeys do over there isn't it?....Sure scum like that would deserve some jail time for a such a hideous crime

I'm guessing Sholing. Am I right?

So where do you draw the line between personal responsibilities versus responsibilities to the society that you live in? You pay your taxes, so there are obviously some areas where you believe the state is better placed to make decisions and take action than you as an individual.

What's your opinion on highway speed limits? For or against them?

If the matters of one country is no concern of anyone in any other country.............Why are US troops so well traveled? Oh, and sanctions anyone?

Of course, it was a hypothetical question, and I fully understand that the same applies to the UK. It's just too easy, like smacking a kid in the gob simply because he has a gob designed specifically for smacking.

I appreciate relative freedom as much as the next guy, but Americans such as George seem to think that the American version is the only one worth having. There is a tentative balancing act in any country's freedoms between liberty and security.

Regarding that arrest for possessing a toy gun altered to look like a real firearm? Here, in Ohio, I can be arrested, charged and sentenced for possession of cigarette papers if I have no tobacco to prove they are not drug related.

I repeat. In the land of the free, I can be arrested for having cigarette papers.

We all have some dumb laws knocking around. The USA and the UK are no exceptions.

Edited by Ohio Saint

It's the names:

Eyewitness Reggie Bugmuncher said she was waiting at a gate for her flight

I mean, come on. Reggie Bugmuncher? Really?

Maybe she does, but as with all meals in the the US, it won't so much be what she 'munches', but more the size of the portion.

i notice that Rolls Royce were very quick to point out it wasn't one of their engines that caught fire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34193767

Edited by badgerx16

So where do you draw the line between personal responsibilities versus responsibilities to the society that you live in? You pay your taxes, so there are obviously some areas where you believe the state is better placed to make decisions and take action than you as an individual.

What's your opinion on highway speed limits? For or against them?

Governments in general are a great thing, with out them we would have anarchy. Government also need to understand and remember that 'they' are here to serve 'we the people'...not the other way round...Something that seems to have been long forgotten over that side of the pond where Government has taken on a Nanny and Boss role in people's lives...Hell, even here the Government needs reminding from time to time that they're not the ‘Boss’ and are there to serve..... Nevada Citizens standing up to overreaching Federal Government

Speed limits are also a great thing, just because someone has the freedom to own a vehicle, it doesn’t give them the right to use it recklessly and in a way that would endanger other people....Kinda like owning a firearm... I have the freedom and right to own and carry a firearm just like my truck, but I’d be breaking the law if I were to use it recklessly and start shooting in my neighbors direction or endangering other people and quite right too...Unless of course that "other people" is climbing through my bedroom window at 3am then all bets are off....and the Law, at least in Louisiana and other southern States will be there to back me, whatever the outcome....and Damned right too.

@Ohio saint...LOL If a local City/State law re carrying a pack of cigarette papers is all you have to worry about your not doing to bad.....Maybe you should consider giving the Clinton family lessons in hair splitting

US troops are well traveled as you put it because we have allies to support and our own interests to look after...simple as that

and just a reminder.....this is a 47 page thread of limeys pointing and sneering at the US...not the other way round ...I couldn't give a damn how they live their lives or if it's even worth living under their Nanny state or not...That's how they want to live, fair enough, but it's not for me, that's why I'm here and not there and i don't think you'll find too many other people over here who give a damn either.

Legalise and tax most drugs; release low level non-violent drug offenders to free up prison space; have a gun amnesty paid for by drug tax and make having an automatic weapon an immediate medium length prison sentence.

You can still bear arms without automatics, but it would be much harder to commit mass murder with 6 shot revolvers and pump action shotguns (would be impossible to legislate fully against guns, but getting it down to non-automatic weapons may eventually be doable)

Just for your info...We do bear arms without Automatics...They came under Gun control legislation in 1934 and subsequently banned from general sale and possession in 1986 (yes the trend is real)

Only the bad guys own and use automatics these days...Gun control working just like the liberals said it would.

Governments in general are a great thing, with out them we would have anarchy. Government also need to understand and remember that 'they' are here to serve 'we the people'...not the other way round...Something that seems to have been long forgotten over that side of the pond where Government has taken on a Nanny and Boss role in people's lives...Hell, even here the Government needs reminding from time to time that they're not the ‘Boss’ and are there to serve..... Nevada Citizens standing up to overreaching Federal Government

Speed limits are also a great thing, just because someone has the freedom to own a vehicle, it doesn’t give them the right to use it recklessly and in a way that would endanger other people....Kinda like owning a firearm... I have the freedom and right to own and carry a firearm just like my truck, but I’d be breaking the law if I were to use it recklessly and start shooting in my neighbors direction or endangering other people and quite right too...Unless of course that "other people" is climbing through my bedroom window at 3am then all bets are off....and the Law, at least in Louisiana and other southern States will be there to back me, whatever the outcome....and Damned right too.

@Ohio saint...LOL If a local City/State law re carrying a pack of cigarette papers is all you have to worry about your not doing to bad.....Maybe you should consider giving the Clinton family lessons in hair splitting

US troops are well traveled as you put it because we have allies to support and our own interests to look after...simple as that

and just a reminder.....this is a 47 page thread of limeys pointing and sneering at the US...not the other way round ...I couldn't give a damn how they live their lives or if it's even worth living under their Nanny state or not...That's how they want to live, fair enough, but it's not for me, that's why I'm here and not there and i don't think you'll find too many other people over here who give a damn either.

Okay, maybe Woolston?

Nice bit of patronising. And you wonder why people have a go at Americans? It is all there, in that one reply. By the way, why do you use the name St George? You do know it is the patron saint of Limey's, right? Now if you will excuse me, I am just off to report my neighbour for dropping recyclable cardboard in his rubbish bin. Shame I am not in America, I could shoot him. ;)

This thread is getting embarrassing.

St. George would be a complete disgrace to almost everyone I have met in 15 years of being an American. Above all else, Americans cherish the right to free speech. It would seem to SG though, that free speech is only for Americans and nobody else.

I'm not about to trawl the internet to prove a point, but I'm sure there are plenty of threads on American forums that do exactly the same as this one regarding foreign countries.

Get a grip SG.

St. George would be a complete disgrace to almost everyone I have met in 15 years of being an American. Above all else, Americans cherish the right to free speech. It would seem to SG though, that free speech is only for Americans and nobody else.

I'm not about to trawl the internet to prove a point, but I'm sure there are plenty of threads on American forums that do exactly the same as this one regarding foreign countries.

Get a grip SG.

Dont worry about it. He's from Shirley and he's lived in St Denys for thirty odd years.

I knew that school shootings happen occasionally in the US but I was genuinely surprised when I saw this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Still, as long as the second amendment is never amended...

That is a horrific list. A few years ago I had a girlfriend who lived in Seattle. I took her kids to school one day and was amazed to see a sign over the main door saying no guns beyond this point. It is just wrong on so many levels.

Get a grip SG.

Well said Ohio. As for the American "culture" aren't the cultures of all countries an amalgam of many difference influences built up over the years?

Get a grip SG.

15 years you've spent *****ing about the US and how its not the UK and how your neighbors and work colleagues are "dumb yanks" and just about every other stereotypical insult you could come up with...and you wonder why you have no friends and your neighbors and work colleagues "view you with suspicion"....

You are 'that' pompous limey that so many people around the world have so much contempt for...the Piers Morgan who had his ass fired and sent back to blighty with his tail between his legs