The other Koeman

NewYorkSaint

As we all sit there, jaws dropped, at how well this season is going, maybe time to put in a plug for Koeman's elder brother Erwin. The guy with the slightly less glittery career, who seems content to work out of the limelight but who, according to friends of mine in the Netherlands, is if anything an even greater tactician and man manager than Ronald. Whether or not they're right, having two great footballing minds on the case for every match we play is likely to be a big advantage. Think about that for a bit. Every time there's a dilemma or problem or strategy challenge, Ronald doesn't have to crack it alone. He can brainstorm it with the brother he trusts. I have a hunch that that is a huge huge edge for us.

All the best ideas emerge out of people sparking off each other a little. That can only happen in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect. For reasons of money, and probably more importantly the need to avoid dueling egos, most teams don't have an assistant coach with the type of skills and influence of Erwin. It's only the family dynamics of these two that make it possible. Erwin seems content to be the behind the scenes guy. But I bet, every so often, he'd like someone to acknowledge that he's a key piece of the magic that's happening right now at Southampton. If not, there just might be a risk that at some point he gets frustrated and wants to find his own club again.

I realize the whole back-room team contribute in different ways, but I don't think we've heard enough, or appreciated enough, the unique role Erwin is playing.

So I think we should, from time to time, offer a little Erwin-love. Anyone else agree? And does anyone have any insight on the respective roles the two brothers play?

As we all sit there, jaws dropped, at how well this season is going, maybe time to put in a plug for Koeman's elder brother Erwin. The guy with the slightly less glittery career, who seems content to work out of the limelight but who, according to friends of mine in the Netherlands, is if anything an even greater tactician and man manager than Ronald. Whether or not they're right, having two great footballing minds on the case for every match we play is likely to be a big advantage. Think about that for a bit. Every time there's a dilemma or problem or strategy challenge, Ronald doesn't have to crack it alone. He can brainstorm it with the brother he trusts. I have a hunch that that is a huge huge edge for us.

All the best ideas emerge out of people sparking off each other a little. That can only happen in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect. For reasons of money, and probably more importantly the need to avoid dueling egos, most teams don't have an assistant coach with the type of skills and influence of Erwin. It's only the family dynamics of these two that make it possible. Erwin seems content to be the behind the scenes guy. But I bet, every so often, he'd like someone to acknowledge that he's a key piece of the magic that's happening right now at Southampton. If not, there just might be a risk that at some point he gets frustrated and wants to find his own club again.

I realize the whole back-room team contribute in different ways, but I don't think we've heard enough, or appreciated enough, the unique role Erwin is playing.

So I think we should, from time to time, offer a little Erwin-love. Anyone else agree? And does anyone have any insight on the respective roles the two brothers play?

I think you have nailed the roles of both of them nicely - they compliment each other and it is absolutely right that Erwin gets his share of the plaudits too.

Erwin Koeman is a fully-fledged manager masquerading as an 'assistant'. If you look at the assistant coaches of most premier league sides, they are professional supporting cast members, few of which have ever forged a career independently aside from the odd caretaking blip. This makes Southampton quite unique in that there is reason to believe we have two managers, Ronald being the face of the arrangement.

When they were just two little boys

They asked their mother what should they be

Should they be managers, or assistants?

Here's what she said to them

Off you go now sons

And show them how its done

Ron and Erwin Koe-man

You will lead the Saints

Koeman bros, Koeman bros

Thinking out loud, is there any chance Erwin could stay at Saints if/when Ronald eventually leaves (assuming he'll be enticed by the Barcelona or Dutch National Team job at some point over the next few years) and take over as first team manager? Or are Erwin and Ronald an inseparable management team now?

Would soften the blow of Koeman leaving if we could keep Erwin and maintain some continuity.

As I say, just musing out loud.

I agree about the brothers but I would like to know how Sammy Lee fits in, he always seems a huge enthusiast and a top guy to have around. We've got a top team on and off the field at the moment

Are there any photos or vids of Sammy Lee going mental at old Trafford, I can only imagine it and it makes me laugh, see it would be even funnier!

Thinking out loud, is there any chance Erwin could stay at Saints if/when Ronald eventually leaves (assuming he'll be enticed by the Barcelona or Dutch National Team job at some point over the next few years) and take over as first team manager? Or are Erwin and Ronald an inseparable management team now?

Would soften the blow of Koeman leaving if we could keep Erwin and maintain some continuity.

As I say, just musing out loud.

That's not a crazy scenario.

When they were just two little boys

They asked their mother what should they be

Should they be managers, or assistants?

Here's what she said to them

Off you go now sons

And show them how its done

Ron and Erwin Koe-man

You will lead the Saints

Koeman bros, Koeman bros

Genius. See if you can get it going, Bucks...

• 6 months later...