New domestic TV deal announced today, 5pm

stevegrant

The real loser will be the two cup competitions

The prize money for winning the FA cup is £1m.

That is probably less than 1 placing in the league with the new deal

The team that finishes 20th in the league will still get £100m in TV money.

Ticket prices must go down. But they wont

Edited by Batman

Why should ticket paying fans benefit from handouts from the TV deal? It would be just the same as Tesco giving money to a corner shop or something.

Edited by CB Fry

Why should ticket paying fans benefit from handouts from the TV deal? It would be just the same as Tesco giving money to a corner shop or something.

I agree that it won't happen directly but full stadiums are part of the TV spectacle. If you take away all the cutaways of worried / elated fans then the viewing experience as a whole is lessened. Look at the NFL where broadcasting has been restricted to ensure that fans turn out for home games. Empty stadiums aren't fun for armchair fans.

I agree that it won't happen directly but full stadiums are part of the TV spectacle. If you take away all the cutaways of worried / elated fans then the viewing experience as a whole is lessened. Look at the NFL where broadcasting has been restricted to ensure that fans turn out for home games. Empty stadiums aren't fun for armchair fans.

In the NFL loud home fans also provide a tactical advantage in making it harder for the visiting team to change plays quickly at the line of scrimmage. That gives each team an incentive to sell out their home games.

In the NFL loud home fans also provide a tactical advantage in making it harder for the visiting team to change plays quickly at the line of scrimmage. That gives each team an incentive to sell out their home games.

I love watching sport screen live from the US of A. During the soccerball World Cup their fans were awesome with their 'I believe that we will win' songs. We should sing this at the saints.

I love watching sport screen live from the US of A. During the soccerball World Cup their fans were awesome with their 'I believe that we will win' songs. We should sing this at the saints.

It was pretty catchy, if a bit delusional at times.

It was Americanised cringey rubbish that the Americans are famed for (cries of get in the hole in golf for example.)

This. If the MLS ever actually takes off in a big way it will be a sad day for soccer.

(Generally speaking. There are some US fans that are more knowledgeable & tolerable).

Edited by Saint Charlie

Why must they go down? We're coming close to selling out pretty much every game as it is, so why would clubs make them cheaper?

I read that Scudamore said he was "surprised" by the size of the deal.

Does that mean Sky and BT over-bid in their own p*****g conterst?

They are closed bids, licked-down envelopes, etc, but it seems to me they might be paying over the odds, and the PL is giggling all the way to the bank.

Expensive way to get people to sign up for broadband, which is what is at the heart of this.

BT want people to sign up to their broadband which is why they (currently) provide PL football free to subscribers and they're running PL coverage as a loss leader and a come-on.

It's all because none of us will be watching TVs in 10 years time (maybe less) and we will all be streaming stuff on our laptops, tablets and phones, along with Netflix and the successors to Breaking Bad. BT are taking Sky on for the hearts and minds of broadband subscribers.

The weapon with which to do this is PL football.

I pay about £70 a month for the full Sky package (movies, etc) and around £16 a month for my BT Broadband (plus i think, about £18 for my landline, which also includes my telephone).

So I'm contributing around £100 a month towards PL coverage on TV, not to mention by TV licence for the highlights package on MoTD.

That's more than £1,000 a year and I really hadn't thought about it in those terms until just this minute.

I think if the letter from Sky lands on my doormat announcing the price rises to pay for this, they can shove it.

Interesting to see that Sky's share price fell this morning on the back of the announcement of the PL deal.

The problem is when this sort of money is on offer, it makes football clubs go all greedy and Smaug-like.

The gap between the PL and the Football League grows ever bigger, and how long before the PL clubs vote to pull the ladder up and scrap relegation?

There's also the question of how long the top clubs will want the small PL clubs hanging on their coattails and syphoning off money that could go to them?

My feeling is that the next deal will see the end of the collective deal, and the top six/seven/eight clubs will try and go their own way.

Sky and BT will be happy with that. It's not as easy to sell Burnley v West Brom to the Far Eastern masses (or anybody really) than it is several SPL-style meetings between Man Utd and Chelsea.

The biggest losers are all the non-English teams. This will mean lower and mid table Premier league teams can continue to raid top teams from nearly every other country even more than they have been doing.

Just think of our friends at Feyenoord. One of the biggest clubs in Holland, a 50.000 capacity stadium, have won european cups in the past and now can't compete financially with any team from the premier league.

The biggest losers are all the non-English teams. This will mean lower and mid table Premier league teams can continue to raid top teams from nearly every other country even more than they have been doing.

Just think of our friends at Feyenoord. One of the biggest clubs in Holland, a 50.000 capacity stadium, have won european cups in the past and now can't compete financially with any team from the premier league.

Agree. Was thinking exactly the same thing. There's already something odd when someone like Leroy Fer opts for the glories of Norwich City.

You can even imagine a world where continental sides start developing players suited to the Prem in the hope of getting a slice of the pie.

I read that Scudamore said he was "surprised" by the size of the deal.

Does that mean Sky and BT over-bid in their own p*****g conterst?

They are closed bids, licked-down envelopes, etc, but it seems to me they might be paying over the odds, and the PL is giggling all the way to the bank.

Expensive way to get people to sign up for broadband, which is what is at the heart of this.

BT want people to sign up to their broadband which is why they (currently) provide PL football free to subscribers and they're running PL coverage as a loss leader and a come-on.

It's all because none of us will be watching TVs in 10 years time (maybe less) and we will all be streaming stuff on our laptops, tablets and phones, along with Netflix and the successors to Breaking Bad. BT are taking Sky on for the hearts and minds of broadband subscribers.

The weapon with which to do this is PL football.

I pay about £70 a month for the full Sky package (movies, etc) and around £16 a month for my BT Broadband (plus i think, about £18 for my landline, which also includes my telephone).

So I'm contributing around £100 a month towards PL coverage on TV, not to mention by TV licence for the highlights package on MoTD.

That's more than £1,000 a year and I really hadn't thought about it in those terms until just this minute.

I think if the letter from Sky lands on my doormat announcing the price rises to pay for this, they can shove it.

Interesting to see that Sky's share price fell this morning on the back of the announcement of the PL deal.

The problem is when this sort of money is on offer, it makes football clubs go all greedy and Smaug-like.

The gap between the PL and the Football League grows ever bigger, and how long before the PL clubs vote to pull the ladder up and scrap relegation?

There's also the question of how long the top clubs will want the small PL clubs hanging on their coattails and syphoning off money that could go to them?

My feeling is that the next deal will see the end of the collective deal, and the top six/seven/eight clubs will try and go their own way.

Sky and BT will be happy with that. It's not as easy to sell Burnley v West Brom to the Far Eastern masses (or anybody really) than it is several SPL-style meetings between Man Utd and Chelsea.

With all respect, that is insane.

Cuts both ways. Just as British fans can be embarrassing helmets when watching a NFL game -cheering when the home side has possession, booing when it takes a knee to run out the clock etc. A bit of mutual tolerance is needed.
It doesn't really cut both ways. This isn't an NFL forum.

Good point. Both in terms of the transfer market and European competitions, it helps put the English ahead of its competitors.

With all respect, that is insane.

TBF you can spend more than that on one away game. I'm not arguing that it's cheap but in terms of sports it's far from extreme.

I've just upgraded my TV package to include sports, it cost £25 a month for the SD package. It's mainly because the Formula 1 season is about to kick off and we've got televised games against Swansea and Liverpool this month.

Good point. Both in terms of the transfer market and European competitions, it helps put the English ahead of its competitors.

It also explains why countries like Holland have a much stronger national team than we do. Chelsea haven't brought through a young British player since Abramovich took over. Even the likes of Sturridge, who they stole from City, couldn't make an impact. If they were giving prolonged first team action to players like Bertrand and Cork, instead of loaning them out, we might have a better national side.

I get the concern about all that extra money sloshing around, but there's one obvious way in which fans benefit. By being the richest league in the world, it can afford to recruit the world's best players. Would we have been able to recruit Pelle, Mane, etc if our league wasn't so rich? So a big reason the premier league offers pretty much the world's best football consistently is because of this. There's an upward spiral effect, because the presence of all those stars attracts more fans globally, etc. I don't like the fat-cat middlemen in football any more than anyone, but I do think it's awesome how big a phenomenon the premier league has become globally. And there's no question that the quality of play is far better than it was a couple of decades ago. Rising attendances at football grounds attest to that. So... it's not all bad, friends.

No issue with the meaning, plenty of teams sing that they are the greatest etc.

It was just a ****y chant, the tune, accent etc.

It was Americanised cringey rubbish that the Americans are famed for (cries of get in the hole in golf for example.)

This. If the MLS ever actually takes off in a big way it will be a sad day for soccer.

(Generally speaking. There are some US fans that are more knowledgeable & tolerable).

I want to make sure I understand. All forms of English cheering and singing for the football teams is always high quality but all forms of American cheering for their soccer teams are bad--and one of the worst things about them is that we cheer in an American accent? Just curious--are they any British accents that don't work for football cheering and are inherently rubbish? Are they any British football fans who are not knowledgeable or tolerable?

If MLS takes off in a big way, which may be in the process of happening--but maybe not with the player's strike that might be about to happen--it will be reflective of an increase in the number of and the knowledge of American soccer fans. Of course, our teams are limited by the quality of the international club competition in which we have to compete. Make the USA and Mexico eligible for the champions league and things would change rapidly. (Not that I think that should or will happen.)

Cuts both ways. Just as British fans can be embarrassing helmets when watching a NFL game -cheering when the home side has possession, booing when it takes a knee to run out the clock etc. A bit of mutual tolerance is needed.

That seems more reasonable but, no doubt, if I heard you say it out loud your accent might change my opinion.

That is exactly where we are now and, with Financial Fair Play, even rich owners can't do anything about it. That was one of the points of my blog post on the subject.

http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/2015/01/financial-fair-play-friend-or-foe.html

It also explains why countries like Holland have a much stronger national team than we do. Chelsea haven't brought through a young British player since Abramovich took over. Even the likes of Sturridge, who they stole from City, couldn't make an impact. If they were giving prolonged first team action to players like Bertrand and Cork, instead of loaning them out, we might have a better national side.

That problem is compounded by the fact that when a club like Southampton does develop and play an English player, if he is any good, the richer clubs buy him up and give him less playing time. Even allowing for injuries, of the four Southampton English players who were sold last summer only Chambers got more playing time at his new club--and that assumes that we would not have converted Chambers into a center back instead of buying Gardos. For that matter Oxlade-Chamberlin would have gotten a lot more playing time if he had stayed at Southampton.

Edited by Redslo

That problem is compounded by the fact that when a club like Southampton does develop and play an English player, if he is any good, the richer clubs buy him up and give him less playing time. Even allowing for injuries, of the four Southampton English players who were sold last summer only Chambers got more playing time at his new club--and that assumes that we would not have converted Chambers into a center back instead of buying Gardos. For that matter Oxlade-Chamberlin would have gotten a lot more playing time if he had stayed at Southampton.

True. I thought it was ridiculous that Rooney played on the left of the front 4 at the World Cup, whilst Lallana sat on the bench. This year though you couldn't make a decent case for either of them. Rooney seems to be playing as some sort of holding midfielder these days because Utd spunked so much money on RVP, Fellaini, ADM, Falcao, Herrera and Mata (plus Januzaj from the youth team).

Lallana played the last 11 minutes for Liverpool last night, Lambert didn't feature at all. Come next summer the likes of Ings and Austin will be on the bench for teams like Spuds and Liverpool. Kane will probably replace Drogba on Chelsea's bench and JRod will be propping up Man City's quota of English players. Something like that anyway.

True. I thought it was ridiculous that Rooney played on the left of the front 4 at the World Cup, whilst Lallana sat on the bench. This year though you couldn't make a decent case for either of them. Rooney seems to be playing as some sort of holding midfielder these days because Utd spunked so much money on RVP, Fellaini, ADM, Falcao, Herrera and Mata (plus Januzaj from the youth team).

Lallana played the last 11 minutes for Liverpool last night, Lambert didn't feature at all. Come next summer the likes of Ings and Austin will be on the bench for teams like Spuds and Liverpool. Kane will probably replace Drogba on Chelsea's bench and JRod will be propping up Man City's quota of English players. Something like that anyway.

Footballers making signing decisions purely on money is also somewhat dubious given how many of them end up bankrupt anyway. They think they are setting themselves and their family up for life and then they make bad investments or fall for weird tax avoidance schemes when they no longer earn that kind of money.

I doubt Kane will move this summer but you are probably right about Ings and Austin. Maybe we should make Bertand part of our recruitment team to let them know what it is really like to be at a big club.

Edited by Redslo

TV Blackouts only happen if the home team don't sell out and only in the surrounding area.........which maybe about the size of half of England

HTH

Yes it does need mutual tolerance ............but some LE's just show why they are LE's LOL

I want to make sure I understand. All forms of English cheering and singing for the football teams is always high quality but all forms of American cheering for their soccer teams are bad--and one of the worst things about them is that we cheer in an American accent? Just curious--are they any British accents that don't work for football cheering and are inherently rubbish? Are they any British football fans who are not knowledgeable or tolerable?

If MLS takes off in a big way, which may be in the process of happening--but maybe not with the player's strike that might be about to happen--it will be reflective of an increase in the number of and the knowledge of American soccer fans. Of course, our teams are limited by the quality of the international club competition in which we have to compete. Make the USA and Mexico eligible for the champions league and things would change rapidly. (Not that I think that should or will happen.)

That seems more reasonable but, no doubt, if I heard you say it out loud your accent might change my opinion.

LOL ............you may not understand what sh.. they spout!!!

Might not make a difference, but as someone who probably can't afford to get a season ticket next season with any kind of increase in prices I felt I had to start this;

https://www.change.org/p/southampton-football-club-lower-ticket-prices-in-light-of-increased-tv-revenue

You want the club to lower ticket prices when we are selling out every week? Dream on.

You want the club to lower ticket prices when we are selling out every week? Dream on.

*shrug* There are very rare occasions when big companies do the decent thing. I'm hoping this will be one of those occasions as in all honesty, I shouldn't have bought a season ticket this year. I couldn't afford it and I am really struggling as a result. In all likelihood I will not be getting a season ticket next season, or at all in the foreseeable future. Which is heartbreaking to me considering I kept one all the way down to league one and back without a moments hesitation.

*shrug* There are very rare occasions when big companies do the decent thing. I'm hoping this will be one of those occasions as in all honesty, I shouldn't have bought a season ticket this year. I couldn't afford it and I am really struggling as a result. In all likelihood I will not be getting a season ticket next season, or at all in the foreseeable future. Which is heartbreaking to me considering I kept one all the way down to league one and back without a moments hesitation.

I'm afraid that's the way football is heading. Games are now reserved for the 32,000 richest fans, or if not the richest the ones who think it is worth paying over £40 to watch 90 minutes of football. I'm not trying to sound rude but as long as there are enough people willing to pay, prices will only go up.

I'm in pretty much the same boat, with away games at least. I've not been to one since 2013 because I can't justify spending £45 to watch us play the mighty QPR. Sadly there are a couple of thousand people who will happily turn up to every away game and say, "my gosh those prices are extortionate, here take my money."

I never said they are. Just continued the rate of increase over the next few years to the end of this next TV deal.

You said 'please give a though for those who cannot afford to pay close to £1000 for a season ticket' you don't have to. Renewals were as low as £628 last season.

You said 'please give a though for those who cannot afford to pay close to £1000 for a season ticket' you don't have to. Renewals were as low as £628 last season.

Yes i said that, whilst creating a petition about lowering prices for the future instead of increasing them. The tv deal ends in what, 2019? How much were season tickets 4 years ago?

Yes i said that, whilst creating a petition about lowering prices for the future instead of increasing them. The tv deal ends in what, 2019? How much were season tickets 4 years ago?

The first season at st Mary's my season ticket was £450, that same seat is now £628, a rise of just £178 in 13 years. So based on that in 2019 you will still be able to get a seat at at Mary's for the season for considerably less than £1000. Your petition is flawed Jeff.

If we qualify for Europe, the season tickets including group phases will be much higher than they would otherwise. I thought I should state the obvious.

And you'd be getting a lot of extra games including potentially ones against the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich etc. That's fair enough is it not?

Edited by Turkish

I want to make sure I understand. All forms of English cheering and singing for the football teams is always high quality but all forms of American cheering for their soccer teams are bad--and one of the worst things about them is that we cheer in an American accent? Just curious--are they any British accents that don't work for football cheering and are inherently rubbish? That seems more reasonable but, no doubt, if I heard you say it out loud your accent might change my opinion.

Let's get this right for any other Americans, (a country I love and respect, BTW). We, the English, speak English, no accent. Everyone else speaks English with an accent. I include the Welsh and the Scots in that....

So, don't say we speak English with an accent, please....

Let's get this right for any other Americans, (a country I love and respect, BTW). We, the English, speak English, no accent. Everyone else speaks English with an accent. I include the Welsh and the Scots in that....

So, don't say we speak English with an accent, please....

I guess I must have completely missed the point of Pygmalion.

And you'd be getting a lot of extra games including potentially ones against the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich etc. That's fair enough is it not?

Yes. But it might mean that someone could not afford it who might otherwise be able to afford a season ticket.

Yes. But it might mean that someone could not afford it who might otherwise be able to afford a season ticket.

What i find strange is that the prices are higher for the big games, yet these are always sold out, usually quickly. The cheaper games against the lesser clubs are quite often not sold out. So price isn't the problem, as it's pretty evident people can afford to fill the stadium and more when it suits them.

I'm afraid that's the way football is heading. Games are now reserved for the 32,000 richest fans, or if not the richest the ones who think it is worth paying over £40 to watch 90 minutes of football. I'm not trying to sound rude but as long as there are enough people willing to pay, prices will only go up.

I'm in pretty much the same boat, with away games at least. I've not been to one since 2013 because I can't justify spending £45 to watch us play the mighty QPR. Sadly there are a couple of thousand people who will happily turn up to every away game and say, "my gosh those prices are extortionate, here take my money."

But there are plenty of games that are well below £45. West Brom, our next away game, is £25 for an adult ticket.