West Brom 1 Saints 0 - Post match thread

Bewildered

Money well spent if his goals help them stay up. Just like if we wanted to seriously compete for a 4th place spot we would have had to throw millions at it and got backup for Pelle.

Signing 32 year old Jermaine Defoe for four years is the kind of thing clubs "seriously competing for a 4th place spot" do, is it?

He wanted a long contract. Jermain Defoe is 32 years old and has a game that has largely relied on pace. Sunderland will be paying him millions of pounds until he's nearly 37 and no doubt as slow as a drunken badger, with no sell on worth whatsoever.

I'm with CB on this one, Defoe would have been a decent quick fix on a short term contract, but for the length he wanted, hell no.

Totally pointless us signing Defoe, where would he have played? We can't swap Pelle for Long and adapt our game accordingly, even for a couple of weeks, so why/where could we have accommodated Defoe?

Have to think that in the absence of SRL then Russell Martin could be the new Grazziano, yes?

Where's that Grant Holt nowadays? HCDAJFU!

Signing 32 year old Jermaine Defoe for four years is the kind of thing clubs "seriously competing for a 4th place spot" do, is it?

No, my point was that you never get value for money in January but if you need someone you have to pay a premium.

We chose not to, hence we are dropping down the league like a stone.

No, my point was that you never get value for money in January but if you need someone you have to pay a premium.

We chose not to, hence we are dropping down the league like a stone.

We don't buy success, we breed it.

We march on.

That depends on your definition of success.

Very wise words indeed. Are we having a successful season ? Yes ! We have had a few disappointing results of late, but we are currently 6th in the league with every chance of finishing in the top half of the table. By my reckoning it would be hard to call the season anything but successful. Now what DEGREE of success ? Well that depends on expectations.

Very wise words indeed. Are we having a successful season ? Yes ! We have had a few disappointing results of late, but we are currently 6th in the league with every chance of finishing in the top half of the table. By my reckoning it would be hard to call the season anything but successful. Now what DEGREE of success ? Well that depends on expectations.

We are having the best season I can remember. The last few results have been pretty disappointing because it feels like we're so close to a really special finish but that it might be slipping away. However, all things considered, this season is brilliant.

That depends on your definition of success.

Of course it does.

After what happened last summer this season has been a success. But if the club had Champions League ambitions in January then what has followed has not been. It would be interesting to know what amount of money we had available. I remember listening to Koeman on Radio Solent in January saying he didn't think we needed backup for Pelle because we already had good young players at the club.

Of course it does.

After what happened last summer this season has been a success. But if the club had Champions League ambitions in January then what has followed has not been. It would be interesting to know what amount of money we had available. I remember listening to Koeman on Radio Solent in January saying he didn't think we needed backup for Pelle because we already had good young players at the club.

You need to reconcile yourself with what "Champions League ambitions" actually meant, and what Les, Ralph and Ron have been saying all season.

We were never going to go all out splashing the cash to crack the Champions League. It was never going to happen.

We will do things sustainably, we aim to be "the best of the rest", and finish as high up the league as possible.

Maybe Ronald should have signed a striker instead of Elia or Djuricic. Maybe. He didn't. That's a bit of a shame but I am delighted we didn't sign Defoe or Bent or some other panic buy.

You can be disappointed but the club never said they would go all out beyond the credo of the club already outlined.

You need to reconcile yourself with what "Champions League ambitions" actually meant, and what Les, Ralph and Ron have been saying all season.

We were never going to go all out splashing the cash to crack the Champions League. It was never going to happen.

We will do things sustainably, we aim to be "the best of the rest", and finish as high up the league as possible.

Maybe Ronald should have signed a striker instead of Elia or Djuricic. Maybe. He didn't. That's a bit of a shame but I am delighted we didn't sign Defoe or Bent or some other panic buy.

You can be disappointed but the club never said they would go all out beyond the credo of the club already outlined.

How's it a risk though? Spend 20 million in jan and make champs league and you can afford easily. Miss out and Clyne and Morgan sales easily recoup it?

How's it a risk though? Spend 20 million in jan and make champs league and you can afford easily. Miss out and Clyne and Morgan sales easily recoup it?

There's a long-term plan at work here. If Champion League comes this season, all well and good, if not then there's always next season. Panic buys don't fit into that plan.

This club will never work like that, ever. It's all about being sustainable, and splashing £20m on a forward in January in the hope of finishing in the Top 4 is a gamble, for a club of our size - an unsustainable gamble.

As has been alluded to, we have a long-term plan. We don't react on a whim and knee-jerk.

Maybe there just wasnt anybody out there worth bringing in ?!

We dont know the state of the FFP finances either, I think we all realise that not having back up for Pellè isnt a good thing, but thats not to say there wasnt a reason for not getting somebody in. Realistically who is there ? That clubs would be willing enough to release in Jan ? I cant think of many that wouldnt be overpriced, and thats just not our way at all.

There's a long-term plan at work here. If Champion League comes this season, all well and good, if not then there's always next season. Panic buys don't fit into that plan.

Some may have suggested buying. I was thinking about a loan. Low risk and relatively low cost.

lol Niles Peterson, seriously? That's the best you can come up with? He was rated highly once upon a time, but is now pretty horrific and has been for the last few years. That's why we have a scouting setup, otherwise we'd fill our squad up with utter, utter, utter dross ''just because''.

He is dross, by the way.

Nothing like the two signings we've already made in January then? Neither of which could get a game for their parent club. Or in the case of one of the players, a club he was loaned to in order to get some games.

A sensible post by CB Fry.