West Brom 1 Saints 0 - Post match thread

Bewildered

Time gentlemen, please! Let's just pray we can finish better than 8th otherwise Pochettino really will be crowing. You never get used to Saints losing the plot when it matters even when you have watched them for as long as I have but why is it always us? Guess it's a nailed on certainty that Clyne & Schneiderlin will be off in July and what is the incentive for Toby to stay? Also seems likely we won't be taking up too many of the loan options.

Beaten by a wonder goal in first minute but were the better team throughout. WE HAVE BEEN UNLUCKY, its not that our players have suddenly become sh1t overnight. Pelle's hit the woodwork 6 times, we've been denied clear penalties by sh1t refs, and not given a lot of other decisions. "Twas ever thus" with Saints over the years. It doesn't even out over the season, if it did Man Utd wouldn't have won the league as much as they have. BUT, we have the best manager and squad for over 30 years and on Tuesday night we have to roar the team and manager on to a win. Negativity and pessimism spreads like a cancer and does no-one any good - just reading this thread is proof of that.

Sorry I'm not falling in line with the mood of slating everyone and everything but that has never helped us in the past and won't help now. Pelle needs his confidence back and we know that if the fans really get behind him (not on his back) he'll get back to his best, as we've seen before when he finally got his first goal, then rest came quick.

Yes, we lost, but win on Tuesday and it all changes again! Have a great Saturday night all, see you at St Mary's on Tuesday!

This. Thank you. Off to the pub, and watching MOTD in the morning.

Went to the game today, thoughts as follows :

The Vine - good pub, nice walk to the ground along the rail track !

Burger - ok ish, luke warm, been there for a while I think before being purchased

The ground - nice tight enclosed ground, felt confident we could at least get a draw.

West Brom support - very good 1st half, bit like St Marys where the northam sing but not much else from the rest of the ground.

Saints support - big blow when they scored so soon into the game, 2nd half good rendition of owts for a good 10 minutes

Saints formation - could see the 3 at the back wasn't working, RK made the right call in taking Gardos off and reverting to 4 4 2. Saints looked very rigid, only got behind them when Long came on,

West Broms tactics - time wasting tactics were shocking, the ball boys disappeared when they scored ! Typical Pulis.

In summary - nice and easy away day, RK has to now earn his money and find a a way to score some goals. Not happy with the 2 mile hike back to the car. Back home in Fair oak by 7.30pm

P.s - Phil Dowd needs to retire, another shocking display by him

I thank you..

Why? Today was way more than the good or bad points of Pelle.

Pelle has been good for us. Before today I was happy for him to be a part of the team because of what he offered outside his finishing. But after today he needs to be taken out of the team - there is no way a team chasing a Top 7 finish can accommodate a striker with this level of his confidence shot. Has it ever happened before? But we can't drop him as there is no alternative. January was an opportunity to address that but instead we signed two players who couldn't even make the starting 11 today. Now I'm aware that Premier League ready strikers are hard to come by at the best of times, not least in an awkward January transfer window, but right now, what, if any, is the alternative to Pelle? There isn't any in my opinion and the lad is clear struggling big time. It's costing us. Finish those two chances today and we've got three points. But we have no points.

Pelle has been good for us. Before today I was happy for him to be a part of the team because of what he offered outside his finishing. But after today he needs to be taken out of the team - there is no way a team chasing a Top 7 finish can accommodate a striker with this level of his confidence shot. Has it ever happened before? But we can't drop him as there is no alternative. January was an opportunity to address that but instead we signed two players who couldn't even make the starting 11 today. Now I'm aware that Premier League ready strikers are hard to come by at the best of times' date=' not least in an awkward January transfer window, but right now, what, if any, is the alternative to Pelle? There isn't any in my opinion and the lad is clear struggling big time. It's costing us. Finish those two chances today and we've got three points. But we have no points.[/quote'] Nice one, you've got Aguero to sign for us. Panic over.

Nice one, you've got Aguero to sign for us. Panic over.

Don't be so pathetic. In your opinion is it viable / sensible / achievable for a team to finish in the Top 7 with ONE senior striker all season long? Yes or no? Even if Pelle's replacement was not as good, it would give Pelle a chance to replenish energy levels and / or some competition. He has nothing. No backup, no chance for a rest, no competition. He's being flogged like a donkey and whilst clearly out of form, shot for confidence, and knackered, he is being played. That is wrong.

We signed two players on loan in January. I would argue Djuricic wasn't needed. Why wasn't a striker signed?

And there we are. What did you want the club to do? What top 6 Premier League Strikers have we missed out on?

Who's taking the Premier League by storm this February, if only we'd spotted them...........

Did you choose to ignore the rest of my message? I said that even if Pelle's replacement was not as good as Pelle, the benefit is that Pelle would get a rest etc. This is not about Top 6 quality or anything like that. This is about a player who's confidence is completely gone, and yet there is NO single alternative in our squad to him. It's a single point of failure, and we're paying the price. Can't you see that?

Did you choose to ignore the rest of my message? I said that even if Pelle's replacement was not as good as Pelle' date=' the benefit is that Pelle would get a rest etc. This is not about Top 6 quality or anything like that. This is about a player who's confidence is completely gone, and yet there is NO single alternative in our squad to him. It's a single point of failure, and we're paying the price. Can't you see that?[/quote']

So you wanted us to splash out on a player not as good as Pelle in January. Fair enough. Who have we missed out on and should be leading the line for us against West Brom?

And there we are. What did you want the club to do? What top 6 Premier League Strikers have we missed out on?

Who's taking the Premier League by storm this February, if only we'd spotted them...........

That's what the club's scouts are paid to do. We were in the top 4 of the richest league in the World and we should have splashed the cash and brought someone in.

Edited by aintforever

Gardner was the little c**t who literally punched the ball away as it was being thrown over to them to take a freekick. Ref's back was turned, so missed it. Deliberate and utterly cynical, wasting even more precious time.
West Brom properly time wasted from the minute they scored. Embarrassing for a home team, and a compliment for us I guess.

So you wanted us to splash out on a player not as good as Pelle in January. Fair enough. Who have we missed out on and should be leading the line for us against West Brom?

Splash out? No. Sign a striker on loan as Jay Rod is clearly not ready and Gallagher is struggling? Yes. Why should me naming names mean it is any more or less possible!?!

Oh do give over with this pathetic drivel. Every time, its "what striker did we miss out on then". Pathetic. Of course we all knew about Pelle before the end of last season didn't we? No hardly anyone had heard of him, except for Mystic Meg. Do you think that our scouts/black box could not identify one striker who we may have brought in? It didn't have to be anyone who is currently a top 6 PL striker. It could have been someone playing in another league somewhere, you know somewhere like Holland perhaps. This is surely what our club and management team are so good at, so some continue to tell us ad nauseum.

That's what the club's scouts are paid to do. We were in the top 4 of the richest league in the World and we should have splashed the cash and brought someone in.

Splash out? No. Sign a striker on loan as Jay Rod is clearly not ready and Gallagher is struggling? Yes. Why should me naming names mean it is any more or less possible!?!
Good point. There were strikers out there, available, at an affordable price, we just didn't sign them for a laugh......

How do you know there weren't?
Because I know how tough the top 6 of the Prem is, how few footballers there are that can play a top centre forward role , its the reason that such footballers cost £30m. Problem is modern day s**thouses like you, don't know how good we've got it and fill these pages with crap.

Three other observations - the referee in the second half was actually good, let the game flow, consistent with rulings. Yoshida once again a solid performer and the quality of our corners and free kicks yesterday showed that JWP should not be seen or selected as the only option for dead ball delivery.

Because I know how tough the top 6 of the Prem is, how few footballers there are that can play a top centre forward role , its the reason that such footballers cost £30m. Problem is modern day s**thouses like you, don't know how good we've got it and fill these pages with crap.

If you'd bothered to read any of my other posts you'd see that I am still delighted with the season but just disappointed to the degree to which only have one senior striker may cost us. I've travelled the length of breadth of this country support far worse teams that than the one we currently have. But the great season we've had does not make the current team immune from criticism. We have an issue with taking chances and when I look at it, it comes down to Pelle being out of form. That may be because he is tired. That may be because he suffers from a lack of confidence. It may be because he is just not good enough. We can speculate as to why it is, but what is a fact is that we have no alternative. I'm not looking for Top 6 quality whatsoever - I don't think the chances he's missed in February would only be finished by a £30m striker and / or a Top 6 striker. Some of them would be finished by a half competent striker - certainly one attainable for a club like us. And even if said striker didn't finish them, then Pelle would be on the bench and refreshed instead of being shattered (in my opinion) and not sharp enough to put his best foot forward.

If you want to talk about the bigger picture then we're in fantastic shape. But 1 league goal in what feels like a long time...not good enough no matter where we are in the table. And we did nothing in January to help ourselves either. I don't think that was particularly clever whatsoever.

If you'd bothered to read any of my other posts you'd see that I am still delighted with the season but just disappointed to the degree to which only have one senior striker may cost us. I've travelled the length of breadth of this country support far worse teams that than the one we currently have. But the great season we've had does not make the current team immune from criticism. We have an issue with taking chances and when I look at it, it comes down to Pelle being out of form. That may be because he is tired. That may be because he suffers from a lack of confidence. It may be because he is just not good enough. We can speculate as to why it is, but what is a fact is that we have no alternative. I'm not looking for Top 6 quality whatsoever - I don't think the chances he's missed in February would only be finished by a £30m striker and / or a Top 6 striker. Some of them would be finished by a half competent striker - certainly one attainable for a club like us. And even if said striker didn't finish them, then Pelle would be on the bench and refreshed instead of being shattered (in my opinion) and not sharp enough to put his best foot forward.

If you want to talk about the bigger picture then we're in fantastic shape. But 1 league goal in what feels like a long time...not good enough no matter where we are in the table. And we did nothing in January to help ourselves either. I don't think that was particularly clever whatsoever.

Same as people that rattled on about Lambert last year, no actual answer though.

There is a reason why we haven't signed a better option than Pelle.

Mugged. Should have been a 0-0 as we can't seem to score either. Half asleep at the start, terrible schoolboy header back into the danger area from Yoshi which basically enabled Pulis to put everyone behind the ball, remove the ball boys and get every player wasting time from the second minute. We know we can't break that down. Painful to watch. Pelle needs a rest. He is like a pub player at the moment. Some awful performances out there today. Tadic and Mane woeful.

Am I the only one who wouldn't call Berahinos goal a wonder goal? He had plenty of time and space.

I would call it a wonder strike because it was cracking to be fair. Its the header that created it is what ****es me off.

When you're struggling for goals you can't go giving away one at the start, which we've now done 2 games running. Poor free kick given away by Gardos , then a poor clearing header.

Clynne , Mane and Pelle particularly poor , pelle had 2 sitters, he's shot and needs leaving out. Bertram played well and fair play to Ron for making the change of system early.

At the end of the day , we were too weak. I thought we were very soft, being bullied off the ball and giving it away in their half too easily. Another battle ahead Tuesday and a few , Mane in particularly, need to man up.

I was always realistic,” Koeman said. “Never was I thinking we would qualify for the Champions League, a lot of big teams normally fight for that position. But we try to win more points than Southampton did last season.”

Despite having been in the top four for so long our Manager never thought we would qualify. Well we won't now you've told everyone Ronald. So the aim is to win more points than last season. Ok, progress of sorts and gradual improvement but I must admit to feeling underwhelmed by this.

Did you choose to ignore the rest of my message? I said that even if Pelle's replacement was not as good as Pelle' date=' the benefit is that Pelle would get a rest etc. This is not about Top 6 quality or anything like that. This is about a player who's confidence is completely gone, and yet there is NO single alternative in our squad to him. It's a single point of failure, and we're paying the price. Can't you see that?[/quote']

My God, you're fully into damnation of the board for not seeing what is blatantly obvious to you and a small handful of others. If only you were running the club, we'd be in the top three now.

Because they didn't possess a properly functioning crystal ball, they couldn't predict that Long would be out for a few weeks with fractured ribs, nor that Rodriguez wouldn't have been back by now. I don't know what is going on with Gallagher either. The team functions best as a unit and other factors like Bertrand's suspension and the injuries to Alderweireld, Schneiderlin and Targett were also contributary factors to our dip. Many have observed that Pelle hadn't been getting the service he required, but that doesn't appear to register with you as a potential reason why he hasn't been scoring.

The club had brought in Elio, Mane and Djuricic and as recent signings some time is required to get them up to speed and fully integrated into our style of play, which would also be a factor with a new striker coming in.

But as with all those who claim that our failure to sign a striker is costing us our chance of a top four finish, please do enlighten us as to who you would have in mind for us to sign within the parameters of availability, suitability and affordability.

I was always realistic,” Koeman said. “Never was I thinking we would qualify for the Champions League, a lot of big teams normally fight for that position. But we try to win more points than Southampton did last season.”

Despite having been in the top four for so long our Manager never thought we would qualify. Well we won't now you've told everyone Ronald. So the aim is to win more points than last season. Ok, progress of sorts and gradual improvement but I must admit to feeling underwhelmed by this.

Then you have been spoilt. I am happy that we finish 17th or above.

My God, you're fully into damnation of the board for not seeing what is blatantly obvious to you and a small handful of others. If only you were running the club, we'd be in the top three now.

Because they didn't possess a properly functioning crystal ball, they couldn't predict that Long would be out for a few weeks with fractured ribs, nor that Rodriguez wouldn't have been back by now. I don't know what is going on with Gallagher either. The team functions best as a unit and other factors like Bertrand's suspension and the injuries to Alderweireld, Schneiderlin and Targett were also contributary factors to our dip. Many have observed that Pelle hadn't been getting the service he required, but that doesn't appear to register with you as a potential reason why he hasn't been scoring.

The club had brought in Elio, Mane and Djuricic and as recent signings some time is required to get them up to speed and fully integrated into our style of play, which would also be a factor with a new striker coming in.

But as with all those who claim that our failure to sign a striker is costing us our chance of a top four finish, please do enlighten us as to who you would have in mind for us to sign within the parameters of availability, suitability and affordability.

Why is the onus on him to suggest an appropriate target? If you asked him about players this time last year , he probably wouldn't have mentioned players like Tadic, Pelle, Mane etc but that's who we have signed. There are lots of players in the world. Even clubs towards the bottom end of the table have strikers who are into double figures for the season.

We have one centre forward option. Just one . Someone pointing that out isn't an act of dissent or mutiny against the board. It's just a fact.

Why is the onus on him to suggest an appropriate target? If you asked him about players this time last year , he probably wouldn't have mentioned players like Tadic, Pelle, Mane etc but that's who we have signed. There are lots of players in the world. Even clubs towards the bottom end of the table have strikers who are into double figures for the season.

We have one centre forward option. Just one . Someone pointing that out isn't an act of dissent or mutiny against the board. It's just a fact.

Don't give me this bull****.

There were NO strikers available anywhere in the world in January that would have fancied playing for a good team in the best league in the world.

There are two SWF approved striker targets, Ings and Austin and neither were attainable so we didn't sign one.

Not hard to understand the above, but I don't expect you to Dig Dog.

That's far too sensible for this place on a Sunday morning.

And I have also covered why we had only one striking option following the closure of the January transfer window and those reasons are the ones why we didn't feel the necessity to bring in another striker during the window. However, we did add significantly to the attacking options by bringing in Mane, Elio and Djuricic, so it isn't as if we weren't seeking to improve our attacking threat.

I

Darren Bent.

And I have also covered why we had only one striking option following the closure of the January transfer window and those reasons are the ones why we didn't feel the necessity to bring in another striker during the window. However, we did add significantly to the attacking options by bringing in Mane, Elio and Djuricic, so it isn't as if we weren't seeking to improve our attacking threat.

You haven't explained why we only have central striker options at all. The club knew that Rodriguez wouldn't been returning anytime soon in January, they said so themselves. Gallagher isn't good enough and is not rated by Koeman according to a few snippets of info I've heard and Long has never been prolific striker and has rarely been deployed as one by Koeman. So we're left with the situation in the striker dept that we have today. Well worthy of people discussing on here without having to provide a database on strikers and our parameters.

You haven't explained why we only have central striker options at all. The club knew that Rodriguez wouldn't been returning anytime soon in January, they said so themselves. Gallagher isn't good enough and is not rated by Koeman according to a few snippets of info I've heard and Long has never been prolific striker and has rarely been deployed as one by Koeman. So we're left with the situation in the striker dept that we have today. Well worthy of people discussing on here without having to provide a database on strikers and our parameters.

west ham got Nene in at the last min, he looked quite good when he came on yesterday.....