West Brom 1 Saints 0 - Post match thread

Bewildered

Well Saints are really making a great fist of proving all the doubters right. 4 points from 7 games...that's not European contention...some might say it's relegation form. Fact is, we can play well, but the quality of striking is shockingly abysmal. Pelle needs a long break - he is doing more harm than good. Long was a waste of money for the value he brings to the team - no assists and no goals.

Deep breaths, all is not lost.

Koeman has only made one solitary mistake as our manager so far - that was getting in two wingers in January rather than a winger and a striker. Forgive him, I'm sure he's aware of it.

Problem today, more noticeable than previous matches when he hasn't scored, is that Pelle isn't working hard enough. Came off the pitch without sweating and should get grief for the cardinal sin of not having dirty knees (in Sunday League you'd get battered for that!).

Well Saints are really making a great fist of proving all the doubters right. 4 points from 7 games...that's not European contention...some might say it's relegation form. Fact is, we can play well, but the quality of striking is shockingly abysmal. Pelle needs a long break - he is doing more harm than good. Long was a waste of money for the value he brings to the team - no assists and no goals.

Did I imagine the two against Leicester?

I'll weigh in and say that Schniederlin's heart isn't really in it with us anymore, said when we lost to Sunderland away last season that Pochettino's body language was that of someone that didn't really care anymore, sadly Schniederlin's looks very similar, still looks a decent player but just looks like he's not bothered if we win or lose, bit like Ronaldo in his final season at Man U.

Koeman's bromance with Pelle and Tadic has to end right now. Not even when we got relegated did we have such ineffective players in the team. Shane Long in the short time he was on showed appetite and the right attitude the entire team need. The away supporters were immense and are to be praised for being behind the team all the way. Koeman showed what could be, but sadly the dream is over. There is a bad feel flowing right the the club, the Academy. Gutted for Harrison Reed who did no wrong, but has been shunted aside for the likes of Tadic.

Everyone has been talking about how Pelle should have been dropped ages ago...

who for?

which striker would you have been playing 3/4 weeks ago when none were fit? Seager?? Don't say Elia, he's a winger, not a striker. So many people here have a memory that lasts about as long as a goldfish.

There have been no options unfortunately to give Pelle a break, maybe now Long is back he will start for a couple, but a bigger problem for me is the attacking midfielders, none creating anything dangerous.

Who did i ask to be banned pal? no one at all, just asked for them to be dealt with and they were..why make stuff up?

In the match day thread? No one. However, you asked for me to be banned in the past, That's no big deal, but since then I have noticed a very banny theme to a lot of your posts. I don't care unduly, but it does get old.

Everyone would say that's relegation form.

No not really, world class teams move the ball in such a way as to get close enough to goal to shoot. Nobody tried to break the line in midfield, nobody capable of beating a player. So easy to play against. We've been worked out good a proper.

Absolutely this. We are a solid possession side, but whether through lack of skill or lack of confidence, we don't have players capable of creating overloads by taking on and beating their marker. The only alternative to that is that your off the ball movement and passing are so quick that you're able to bypass the opposition, but despite being better earlier in the season, we've never been brilliantly quick at moving the ball around (nor were we last season).

With Elia, Mane, Tadic, Long & Djuricic, we have the players in our squad to attempt a more mobile front three, but despite this, the last couple of weeks seem to have proven that Koeman feels Pelle (or presumably a Pelle style target man) is absolutely essential to the way we play.

Reed and Tadic are completely different players, Reed has been shunted aside for Wanyama and Schneiderlin. Tadic was in today for the ineffectual Ward-Prowse, Davis, Elia and Djuricic, none of whom have done enough recently. If you would be playing Reed we'd be even more defensive, which is the bit we can do. Do you not know what type of player Reed is?

In the match day thread? No one. However, you asked for me to be banned in the past, That's no big deal, but since then I have noticed a very banny theme to a lot of your posts. I don't care unduly, but it does get old.

You sir are talking testicles about me asking for you to be banned..no recollection of that and the banny tripe too..

TBF,if you don`t care why comment

Likely to go down to 7th tomorrow.

Back to the drawing board, Ronald. Next game Ronald needs to be ruthless in his team selection I think- and bringing Toby back will only bring good to the team!

Forster

Clyne Toby Fonte Bertrand

Wanyama Morgan Reed

Mane Djuricic

Long

Bench: Davis, Yoshi, Gardos, Elia, JWP, Davis, Pelle

I don't care about my job either, but if I wanted to be employed by another company and it depended on my performance at my current job? Well, I would work a bit smarter and harder.

I imagine the deals are already sewn up in the background to be honest.

Back to the drawing board, Ronald. Next game Ronald needs to be ruthless in his team selection I think- and bringing Toby back will only bring good to the team!

Forster

Wanyama Morgan Reed

Mane Djuricic

Long

Bench: Davis, Yoshi, Gardos, Elia, JWP, Tadic, Pelle

Hard to see that team scoring as well.

Forster

Wanyama Morgan Reed

Davis Djuricic

Long

Bench: Davis, Yoshi, Gardos, Elia, JWP, Tadic, Pelle

Mane is our most dangerous attacker and he wouldn't even make the bench in your opinion so sure Ronald won't lose sleep.

Need to get back to the consistent selection from earlier in the season, during our best spell.

Forster

Wanyama Morgan Reed

Mane Djuricic

Long

Can't go down to 7th tomorrow, unless Spurs get points for disputing the League Cup final or something.

You sir are talking testicles about me asking for you to be banned..no recollection of that and the banny tripe too..

TBF,if you don`t care why comment

Always_SFC, sorry, but yeah, you did ask for a ban one time. It was concerning a fan being taken ill during a game, and a comment I made about it.

I really don't have a problem with you though, and I mean that from the heart of my bottom. :) I won't say another word about it. This is not the thread anyway for such time wasting.

Forster

Wanyama Morgan Reed

Mane Djuricic

Long

why would you need 3 defensive-minded midfielders? I thought we were trying to score goals? Don't think Reed gets in the team ahead of either Morgan or Vic. Not sure why you haven't got Mané in team, for me he is one of our brighter players

I don't care about my job either, but if I wanted to be employed by another company and it depended on my performance at my current job? Well, I would work a bit smarter and harder.

Sadly Ohio that's old school thinking, these days if you know you are off somewhere else folks don't give a flying Fk, footballers will still be paid dopey money regardless of how they play they are untouchable.

Always_SFC, sorry, but yeah, you did ask for a ban one time. It was concerning a fan being taken ill during a game, and a comment I made about it.

I really don't have a problem with you though, and I mean that from the heart of my bottom. :) I won't say another word about it. This is not the thread anyway for such time wasting.

Drag it up from the bowels of the forum if it`s there and we could see...

The manager had a mighty task when he first arrived here - to quickly put a team together from the wreckage of last summer and then get them to perform. He succeeded in that difficult task quite brilliantly. His next big challenge was to find a way to keep this team of his performing when at least two of its key players - Pelle & Tadic - started to run out of steam. To be fair I see he tried to change the formation again today, but another frustrating goalless performance is just more evidence that RK has yet to devise a method to successfully overcome the problem.

This season is all but over now I think, we certainly can't be relegated and we are obviously out of all the cup competitions too. I don't personally believe we look likely now to qualify for Europe either. We may well finish in a similiar position as we did last season, but only time will tell on that.

Whatever, Koeman needs to go away and do some serious thinking over the summer about what he's going to do when important players lose their form and how he will change things when other managers seem to have figured both him, and his team, out. This Premier League malarkey may not be quite as easy as it first seemed.

Usual bow locks from most clowns watching saying MS and NC don't care what a load of tosh; Koeman should have kept Tadic on not Elia he is too weak.

4 goals conceded in February, 3 of which were 'worldlies" . It hurts like hell guys so frustrating but please keep a sense of perspective!!

Beaten by a wonder goal in first minute but were the better team throughout. WE HAVE BEEN UNLUCKY, its not that our players have suddenly become sh1t overnight. Pelle's hit the woodwork 6 times, we've been denied clear penalties by sh1t refs, and not given a lot of other decisions. "Twas ever thus" with Saints over the years. It doesn't even out over the season, if it did Man Utd wouldn't have won the league as much as they have. BUT, we have the best manager and squad for over 30 years and on Tuesday night we have to roar the team and manager on to a win. Negativity and pessimism spreads like a cancer and does no-one any good - just reading this thread is proof of that.

Sorry I'm not falling in line with the mood of slating everyone and everything but that has never helped us in the past and won't help now. Pelle needs his confidence back and we know that if the fans really get behind him (not on his back) he'll get back to his best, as we've seen before when he finally got his first goal, then rest came quick.

Yes, we lost, but win on Tuesday and it all changes again! Have a great Saturday night all, see you at St Mary's on Tuesday!

Beaten by a wonder goal in first minute but were the better team throughout. WE HAVE BEEN UNLUCKY, its not that our players have suddenly become sh1t overnight. Pelle's hit the woodwork 6 times, we've been denied clear penalties by sh1t refs, and not given a lot of other decisions. "Twas ever thus" with Saints over the years. It doesn't even out over the season, if it did Man Utd wouldn't have won the league as much as they have. BUT, we have the best manager and squad for over 30 years and on Tuesday night we have to roar the team and manager on to a win. Negativity and pessimism spreads like a cancer and does no-one any good - just reading this thread is proof of that.

Sorry I'm not falling in line with the mood of slating everyone and everything but that has never helped us in the past and won't help now. Pelle needs his confidence back and we know that if the fans really get behind him (not on his back) he'll get back to his best, as we've seen before when he finally got his first goal, then rest came quick.

Yes, we lost, but win on Tuesday and it all changes again! Have a great Saturday night all, see you at St Mary's on Tuesday!

Amen

Amen

Amen +1

Not in this thread. It's the wrong place. Feel free though to start a thread about how you do not call for bans and moderation on a regular basis, and I will respond there.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Seriously, please start that thread in an appropriate section. I will answer it. However, this is not the thread for it, and I won't respond further in it.

I'm not sure getting into europe champs league is any good unless you can put out two first teams . I know when I knew I was leaving work and stayed on for an extra 3 months (as requested) that my head was not there anymore and was a bit of a liability :scared: . If Morgan and Clyne think they are getting big money moves then I suspect they will be taking it easy until the end of the season. I'm sure Ron would put another striker up front if they weren't injured etc , let's all hope we break the goal drought soon or every Sat will be depressing !

Despite our defence not correctly defending a set piece and Berahino scoring a fabulous half-volley it was of course Pellès fault.

It was Pelle's fault that he missed an open goal from a yard out. FFS how can a professional paid many thousands of pounds a week to score goals not convert that simple, basic, easy chance?