West Brom 1 Saints 0 - Post match thread

Bewildered

Yes he would have been able to bring us his scintillating Villa form. :mcinnes:

Just because he's scored a couple of Championship goals doesn't make him anymore realistic than Billy Sharp.

villa form may have been because villa are an atrocious side that actually create almost nothing

Edited by Batman

Koeman did exactly the right thing yesterday declaring that the top 4 finish was never possible ....

The recent results and the snatching in front of goal etc ......have been caused by the weight of expection increase and the players in there mind believing they could do it (which they still could ) but the pressure they have mentally put themselves under has effected our finishing badly . Defensively actually we are still good two worldys and a slip by targett account for the goals against .

RK took that pressure away yesterday , in my opinion a great managers decision not negative because the results will dictate where we finish not the expectation .

Watch Pelle score a hatrick on Tuesday !

Yes he would have been able to bring us his scintillating Villa form. :mcinnes:

Just because he's scored a couple of Championship goals doesn't make him anymore realistic than Billy Sharp.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? Bent has been scoring regularly for Derby. Ok it's the Championship but Bent has proved he can score in the Premiership, unlike Billy Sharp. He's no Ronaldo but who else was available?

Koeman did exactly the right thing yesterday declaring that the top 4 finish was never possible ....

The recent results and the snatching in front of goal etc ......have been caused by the weight of expection increase and the players in there mind believing they could do it (which they still could ) but the pressure they have mentally put themselves under has effected our finishing badly . Defensively actually we are still good two worldys and a slip by targett account for the goals against .

RK took that pressure away yesterday , in my opinion a great managers decision not negative because the results will dictate where we finish not the expectation .

Watch Pelle score a hatrick on Tuesday !

Is that why Pelle missed two sitters?

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? Bent has been scoring regularly for Derby. Ok it's the Championship but Bent has proved he can score in the Premiership, unlike Billy Sharp. He's no Ronaldo but who else was available?

I refer Sir, to the immortal words of Henry Redknapp (pariah of this parish) concerning chances and Mother-in-Laws.

I think they've got a black box and a room of experts to answer those questions.

What he said.

I've posted this elsewhere but the striker issue is down in no small part to terrible transfers. In theory we have Long, Mayuka, Pelle, Rodrigues, Osvaldo. The club has spent c £45m on strikers in the last 3 years with a combined weekly wage of something like 170k a week so c 9m a year. It may be that KL put her foot down and said we need to lose strikers before we buy another - and it is hard to blame her if so. Bit unlucky with injuries, but compounded with dreadful and expensive transfer choices.

I've posted this elsewhere but the striker issue is down in no small part to terrible transfers. In theory we have Long, Mayuka, Pelle, Rodrigues, Osvaldo. The club has spent c £45m on strikers in the last 3 years with a combined weekly wage of something like 170k a week so c 9m a year. It may be that KL put her foot down and said we need to lose strikers before we buy another - and it is hard to blame her if so. Bit unlucky with injuries, but compounded with dreadful and expensive transfer choices.

We have Pandoras Box and a room of experts.

My God, you're fully into damnation of the board for not seeing what is blatantly obvious to you and a small handful of others. If only you were running the club, we'd be in the top three now.

Because they didn't possess a properly functioning crystal ball, they couldn't predict that Long would be out for a few weeks with fractured ribs, nor that Rodriguez wouldn't have been back by now. I don't know what is going on with Gallagher either. The team functions best as a unit and other factors like Bertrand's suspension and the injuries to Alderweireld, Schneiderlin and Targett were also contributary factors to our dip. Many have observed that Pelle hadn't been getting the service he required, but that doesn't appear to register with you as a potential reason why he hasn't been scoring.

The club had brought in Elio, Mane and Djuricic and as recent signings some time is required to get them up to speed and fully integrated into our style of play, which would also be a factor with a new striker coming in.

But as with all those who claim that our failure to sign a striker is costing us our chance of a top four finish, please do enlighten us as to who you would have in mind for us to sign within the parameters of availability, suitability and affordability.

1. Shane Long got injured during the January transfer window. And he doesn't play up front on his own either.

2. The club would be the most people aware out there regarding Jay Rod's window to return. I think it's quite clear to all that if he got ANY first team football this season it would be a surprise.

3. Of course there are other reasons the team is struggling. But despite all that we've also created lots of chances for Pelle who has missed them all.

4. Mane was signed last August so I've no idea why you've referenced him being a January signing. Elia I like but Djuricic I don't see the point of signing yet.

5. I have no idea why the only line of defence for those who won't accept that not signing a striker is a mistake is 'name someone' but seeing as people are adamant about it what about Nils Petersen: Signed for Frieburg on loan from Werder Bremen. 26 years old, 6'2", can play up top on his own and knows where the net is. Scored a perfect hat-trick on his debut this January as well. Now I don't know what he earns or what the loan fee is but I wouldn't mind betting he was attainable given we spent up to £10m+ on a full-back in January, Djuricic won't be earning peanuts, and Cork was sold.

We're safe. What's the problem?

I have been saying this since we reached 45 points. I have to agree also, that we have made some poor signings in terms of a striker. I would add that Pelle and Long are good to have on the bench, if we need to isx things up. Perhaps we expected JayRod back sooner, if so it was a hell of a gamble and still is !

1. Shane Long got injured during the January transfer window. And he doesn't play up front on his own either.

2. The club would be the most people aware out there regarding Jay Rod's window to return. I think it's quite clear to all that if he got ANY first team football this season it would be a surprise.

3. Of course there are other reasons the team is struggling. But despite all that we've also created lots of chances for Pelle who has missed them all.

4. Mane was signed last August so I've no idea why you've referenced him being a January signing. Elia I like but Djuricic I don't see the point of signing yet.

5. I have no idea why the only line of defence for those who won't accept that not signing a striker is a mistake is 'name someone' but seeing as people are adamant about it what about Nils Petersen: Signed for Frieburg on loan from Werder Bremen. 26 years old, 6'2", can play up top on his own and knows where the net is. Scored a perfect hat-trick on his debut this January as well. Now I don't know what he earns or what the loan fee is but I wouldn't mind betting he was attainable given we spent up to £10m+ on a full-back in January, Djuricic won't be earning peanuts, and Cork was sold.

Gary Hooper from Norwich.

Lallana's left peg: I have no idea why the only line of defence for those who won't accept that not signing a striker is a mistake is 'name someone' but seeing as people are adamant about it what about Nils Petersen: Signed for Frieburg on loan from Werder Bremen. 26 years old, 6'2", can play up top on his own and knows where the net is. Scored a perfect hat-trick on his debut this January as well. Now I don't know what he earns or what the loan fee is but I wouldn't mind betting he was attainable given we spent up to £10m+ on a full-back in January, Djuricic won't be earning peanuts, and Cork was sold.

Here is the info on Nils Petersen, which frankly leaves me a bit underwhelmed. He has been shunted from pillar to post, not deemed good enough to settle with any one team, his transfer value dropping like a stone.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nils-petersen/profil/spieler/42936

OK, he might not have suffered the knee ligament damage with us, but had he done so, we would be back to square one, with no particular reason to expect that he would become a goal-scoring revelation in the PL.

As others have pointed out, we have probably the best facilities in place in the PL and possibly the World for indentifying players who could do a decent job for us with the right attitude and at the right price. It is said that the black box idntifies and assesses every player in the World's major leagues, so I very much doubt that we have failed to cast an eye over this bloke.

Edited by Wes Tender

Here is the info on Nils Petersen, which frankly leaves me a bit underwhelmed. He has been shunted from pillar to post, not deemed good enough to settle with any one team, his transfer value dropping like a stone.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nils-petersen/profil/spieler/42936

OK, he might not have suffered the knee ligament damage with us, but had he done so, we would be back to square one, with no particular reason to expect that he would become a goal-scoring revelation in the PL.

As others have pointed out, we have probably the best facilities in place in the PL and possibly the World for indentifying players who could do a decent job for us with the right attitude and at the right price. It is said that the black box idntifies and assesses every player in the World's major leagues, so I very much doubt that we have failed to cast an eye over this bloke.

i assume it also depends what the expert feeds into the box. whoever fed the data on Ramirez etc in the box had dyslexia

lol Niles Peterson, seriously? That's the best you can come up with? He was rated highly once upon a time, but is now pretty horrific and has been for the last few years. That's why we have a scouting setup, otherwise we'd fill our squad up with utter, utter, utter dross ''just because''.

He is dross, by the way.

lol Niles Peterson, seriously? That's the best you can come up with? He was rated highly once upon a time, but is now pretty horrific and has been for the last few years. That's why we have a scouting setup, otherwise we'd fill our squad up with utter, utter, utter dross ''just because''.

He is dross, by the way.

But that is a point. Some reason, the availability of players is only decided if someone random can name a player that other randoms on saintweb can collectively decide if that is realistic or not

Makes you wonder why we have full time scouts and this black box thing if saintsweb was the barometer

Edited by Batman

Where is excitement in low expectations? Aiming to finish 17th will get you relegated. I want to watch an ambitious team thank you....

I said that 17th and upwards would make me happy. That is not low expectations. Staying in the top league year on year, like our last 27 year run is not low expectations.

I said that 17th and upwards would make me happy. That is not low expectations. Staying in the top league year on year, like our last 27 year run is not low expectations.

In the light of our season so far, that IS having low expectations.

It doesn't matter what you though at the beginning of the season; after our form up to the end of January you would be a fool not to feel disappointed with finishing 7th or 8th.

I dunno what our financial resources are like, and face it neither do you, but if the club wanted a top quality striker then Andre Schurrle was available. Surely Wolfsburg aren't that much ahead of us?

I'd say they're £24m more ahead than us. We can't spend that on a player.

And he's not a striker is he? More of an attacking front 3 player, so really again not an alternative to Pelle suggestion.

Just as I said then - low expectations!

If we had an unbroken run in the premier league for the next 24 years, regardless of where we finished, but importantly above the relegation zone, you would say that was low expectations ? If you want a team that can win the league, go and support a 'plastic' team.

What about him? Sunderland have given him a four year contract.

Right, which they did in the january transfer window. We could have been looking for a striker in the january transfer window and offered him a more enticing second half of the season - no relegation battle and the chance of europe. I think he could have been a good move for us.

Right, which they did in the january transfer window. We could have been looking for a striker in the january transfer window and offered him a more enticing second half of the season - no relegation battle and the chance of europe. I think he could have been a good move for us.

What part of four year contract don't you understand? They've tied up fifteen million quid in Jermaine Defoe.

What part of four year contract don't you understand? They've tied up fifteen million quid in Jermaine Defoe.

In previous comments on this thread people have been trying to suggest players that we could have signed in the january transfer window. Jermaine Defoe is one such player.

Read the comment by 'richard' and follow the thread carefully, that way you will avoid making a fool of yourself with your pre-programmed answers.

In previous comments on this thread people have been trying to suggest players that we could have signed in the january transfer window. Jermaine Defoe is one such player.

He wanted a long contract. Jermain Defoe is 32 years old and has a game that has largely relied on pace. Sunderland will be paying him millions of pounds until he's nearly 37 and no doubt as slow as a drunken badger, with no sell on worth whatsoever.

I'm with CB on this one, Defoe would have been a decent quick fix on a short term contract, but for the length he wanted, hell no.

He wanted a long contract. Jermain Defoe is 32 years old and has a game that has largely relied on pace. Sunderland will be paying him millions of pounds until he's nearly 37 and no doubt as slow as a drunken badger, with no sell on worth whatsoever.

I'm with CB on this one, Defoe would have been a decent quick fix on a short term contract, but for the length he wanted, hell no.

Fair enough, you have offered a good reason not to give Defoe a contract for four years. I can only think that we are being hopeful about the the return of Jay Rod, or have someone in mind we are prepared to wait for. After all, unlike Slumberland, we have the luxury of knowing that we will be hosting premier football at SMS next season.

Money well spent if his goals help them stay up. Just like if we wanted to seriously compete for a 4th place spot we would have had to throw millions at it and got backup for Pelle.

Fair enough, those are good points. My take is that he's a good finisher and might have been able to take some of the pressure off of Pelle by either playing every 2nd/3rd game or coming on for the last 25 minutes of games. Might have been a bit of an expensive sub though.

But that is a point. Some reason, the availability of players is only decided if someone random can name a player that other randoms on saintweb can collectively decide if that is realistic or not

Makes you wonder why we have full time scouts and this black box thing if saintsweb was the barometer

If saints web was a barometer it would rain everyday, always knew we should have signed that Justin St Swithin back in the day.