Eclipse

Coxford_lou

Yep, reminds me of the supposed Y2K bug all those years ago. A lot of fear and expectation coming up to it .... then complete non-event.

Total cloud cover across Hampshire and Dorset on my commute.

We watched the live coverage from Newlyn, Cornwall on the BBC site. That was as close as we got to it.

Oh well, short wait now until the next one in 2090 (full eclipse), 2026 (partial)!!! (actual dates)

Edited by the saint in winchester

Just got enough of a break in the cloud to spot it.

( And as for the reference to the Y2K 'bug' - it ultimately appeared to be a damp squib because of the amount of work put in in advance to migtigate the problem. )

Not actually true. There never was a significant problem in the first place. I had a lot of dealings with this and the only problem I had was dealing with all the enquiries from people thinking that there was a problem. Another example of journalists creating panic about something they don't understand. There are enough bugs in operating systems anyway, some of them date-related and many still unresolved.

Not actually true. There never was a significant problem in the first place. I had a lot of dealings with this and the only problem I had was dealing with all the enquiries from people thinking that there was a problem. Another example of journalists creating panic about something they don't understand. There are enough bugs in operating systems anyway, some of them date-related and many still unresolved.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I disagree. It may not have been the Doomsday that the popular media promoted, but we put in a lot of work upgrading and amending systems, and still had a couple that we missed. ( My overtime was very welcome, and it even got me out of jury service ).

everything went a bit weird & spooky. Even the local birdlife + insects was a bit wtf. Girl at work went in toilets & started crying. Another guy went on mad rampage & started smashing up photocopiers. The fire alarm started ringing, all on it's own. v.carnage.

Even the 'breathtaking' live shots from that plane over the Faroes were shaky, out of focus and either over or under exposed.

Poor show all round from the BBC - but apparently there were 'technical difficulties'.

Looking forward to the next one in 2090!

Even the 'breathtaking' live shots from that plane over the Faroes were shaky, out of focus and either over or under exposed.

Poor show all round from the BBC - but apparently there were 'technical difficulties'.

Looking forward to the next one in 2090!

The BBC are full of incompetents. My daughter was watching the so-called live transmission from the Faeroes and just at the crtical moment they cut away to some woman on a plane.

Even cr*pper than 1999.

I would agree that this one was pretty much a let down but I remember the one in 1999 being pretty cool, was watching it outside the (what are now) Animal offices in Poole and it went very dark and cold and quiet for a couple of minutes.

Today was "meh, did anything happen..."

everything went a bit weird & spooky. Even the local birdlife + insects was a bit wtf. Girl at work went in toilets & started crying. Another guy went on mad rampage & started smashing up photocopiers. The fire alarm started ringing, all on it's own. v.carnage.

You're exaggerating that like you exaggerated your man flu that you had the other day..

I know, I went bat**** and refused to reply to any emails.

Unfortunately that just resulted in phone calls instead

As for the eclipse it what pretty meh

I would agree that this one was pretty much a let down but I remember the one in 1999 being pretty cool, was watching it outside the (what are now) Animal offices in Poole and it went very dark and cold and quiet for a couple of minutes.

Today was "meh, did anything happen..."

Agree 1999 was way better and much more memorable, but for very different reasons for me. To be discussed at the Farmhouse tomorrow ;)