JWP

washsaint

Just saying they were picked ahead of JWP when it came to a major championship.

Which I think was a mistake by a poor manager in Gareth Southgate. Why aren't the players you mentioned (who are peers of Ward-Prowse) playing in the Premier League at the moment? If Saints were to loan him there would be no need to send him to the Championship as he'd get regular football at a bottom half Premier League side, but they won't loan him out as he is a useful homegrown squad player in a season they could have a lot of games. He might not be a starter for us, but he is good enough over a season to get a large amount of Premier League minutes to aid his development.

A lot of players -forster-caskey, chalobah, hughes and carroll- who largely kept JWP out of the euros have been getting useful experience in the championship.

It's not a bad shout that he would do well in a Championship side - it's all very well saying he could play for a club further down in the Premier League, but if he struggles to impose himself in this division, it's going to be the same story at West Brom or Norwich, possibly moreso because they will (probably) be controlling games less than we do - rather he was sat on the Saints bench than another team's.

But MLG does have a point about the additional Europa games, wouldn't make sense to thin the squad this year.

Which I think was a mistake by a poor manager in Gareth Southgate. Why aren't the players you mentioned (who are peers of Ward-Prowse) playing in the Premier League at the moment? If Saints were to loan him there would be no need to send him to the Championship as he'd get regular football at a bottom half Premier League side, but they won't loan him out as he is a useful homegrown squad player in a season they could have a lot of games. He might not be a starter for us, but he is good enough over a season to get a large amount of Premier League minutes to aid his development.

Look I agree the benefits of keeping him (especially for us) outweigh the benefits of going out on loan, especially as I don't think he would be a shoe-in at bottom-half prem side. That said, there is a case for giving him the space to become the 'main man' somewhere and enjoy the responsibility that comes with it. That's unlikely to happen with us for the time being, so you have to hope the incremental benefits of flitting in and out of the team pay off in the long-run.

Look I agree the benefits of keeping him (especially for us) outweigh the benefits of going out on loan, especially as I don't think he would be a shoe-in at bottom-half prem side.
Jack Cork is pretty much an ever present at Swansea, and I'm not sure he was much better than JWP. A year at Bournemouth playing week in week out would do him the world of good imo (unless they get totally tonked every week and crush his spirit....)

Jack Cork is pretty much an ever present at Swansea, and I'm not sure he was much better than JWP. A year at Bournemouth playing week in week out would do him the world of good imo (unless they get totally tonked every week and crush his spirit....)

Can't believe you actually wrote that. Jack Cork is TONS better than JWP. You do go to matches regularly, no? Then would have seen the contribution Cork made when he had a run in the team. I think Prowsey would do better dropping a league and getting regular game time. IMO

Nice article (in Italian) on JWP in the CdS....

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/news/calcio/talent-scout/2015/08/11-3127538/ward-prowse_il_gioiello_del_southampton/

Literally translated - Ward Prowse, Southampton's jewel . Its a fluff piece but nice to see that he is recognised at 20 years old as a class act.

He gets lots of recognition as our academy poster boy and is regularly wheeled out by the FA due to his persona and maturity. This is turn means he gets quite a lot of media attention. Whether or not his actual playing ability or achievements to date actually merit all of that is another thing all together.

I think he's added viciously swirling long range shots to his arsenal this year, which is a bloody good job as I'm not sure we have any other midfielders who can shoot (Wanyama seems to have been weaned off it and Clasie hasn't had the chance to yet).

Jack Cork was on the bench on Saturday, just for the record.

I was told by a reliable source last winter that JWP's agent had discussed the likelihood of JWP going to Man City but the player didn't want to just be a bench player at best.

I did see something a while back that said City were prepared to offer £20m for JWP.

Saturday was the first time he'd started on the bench, he came on and was brilliant. He'll start next game. Brilliant player.

They've signed Andre Ayew, and Jefferson Montero - who WAS brilliant on Saturday - was injured most of last season. They've not released any midfielders so you'll probably find he'll be back to being in and out of their team depending on whether they're home or away.

They've signed Andre Ayew, and Jefferson Montero - who WAS brilliant on Saturday - was injured most of last season. They've not released any midfielders so you'll probably find he'll be back to being in and out of their team depending on whether they're home or away.

Not sure why them playing will mean Cork will be benched. Different positions.

They'll be more attacking at home, a different balance of midfield again but not as likely to be defensively minded.

It's pretty surprising Cork was a substitute despite Chelsea being one of the sides they're most likely to play more defensively against.

Because they're no longer playing a 4-man diamond midfield. Well, they didn't on Saturday. And with Ayew, Gomis, Montero, and Sigurdsson available, I see this continuing.

Edit: as above (Wasn't posted at point of typing).

Wouldn't read too much into Cork starting from the bench on Sat. Could be any number of reasons for it. It's certainly not indicative of his squad status. V. good player, wish we had him for this season.

You can read that Swansea are changing their default formation, and Cork is potentially behind Shelvey and Ki for the two CM births. Will still get plenty of game time though (Ki went off injured),