Newcastle 2 Saints 2

Lighthouse

Man of the Match  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match

He did everything right tbh, Krul just pulled off a really good save.
This.. 9 out of 10 times that goes in. Tip your hat to Krul.

even after the Krul got his pinky toe on it, it was tantilzingly close to skirting under the cross bar.

oh, and I was looking at Mane's two chances at the end. He made Coloccini look silly on both plays

On the first play, Colback miraculously blocked Mane's strike after nearly breaking Coloccini's ankles. Krul wasn't going to make that stop, it was going in.

On the second play, Krul was positioned better. I think if Mane's shot had been on target in the left corner, it is possible Krul could have gotten a glove on it.

Oh we definitely looked more solid last year up there - might just be my memory but didn't think we created a lot and remembered being under pressure most of the game. Always felt this time round we looked dangerous every time we went forward and we had another goal in us. Even in the first half when we were playing bad, there was the Jay Rod header (should have done better), Cedric's chance, Tadic's shot and the goal.

Perhaps battered was a little over the top but I felt like we were well on top in the second half and had the better of the clear cut chances overall. Last year, I thought we got away with it a little bit - end of the day we got 3pts last year and 1pt this year. I supposed I just like the way we were attacking and throwing caution to the wind. Trade off was defensively, first half at least, we were awful.

It's interesting to look back at the lineup for that game last season:

Forster; Clyne - Fonte - Gardos - Bertrand; Reed - S Davis - Ward-Prowse; Elia - Pellè - Tadić

So no Alderweireld (or Yoshida, who was clearly the next cab off the rank in Koeman's eyes last season), no Wanyama, no Schneiderlin and no Mané. Four players who were unquestionably in our first choice XI last season.

I'm not sure that lineup on paper is better than the one that started on Sunday, the difference for me is that it's a bit more balanced. Had Reed or Ward-Prowse started this time - probably instead of Rodriguez, who's still understandably not quite up to speed yet - I don't think we'd have been overrun in midfield in that first half and would have been able to control the game better.

It's interesting to look back at the lineup for that game last season:

Forster; Clyne - Fonte - Gardos - Bertrand; Reed - S Davis - Ward-Prowse; Elia - Pellè - Tadić

So no Alderweireld (or Yoshida, who was clearly the next cab off the rank in Koeman's eyes last season), no Wanyama, no Schneiderlin and no Mané. Four players who were unquestionably in our first choice XI last season.

I'm not sure that lineup on paper is better than the one that started on Sunday, the difference for me is that it's a bit more balanced. Had Reed or Ward-Prowse started this time - probably instead of Rodriguez, who's still understandably not quite up to speed yet - I don't think we'd have been overrun in midfield in that first half and would have been able to control the game better.

Think you underestimate just how s**t and poorly set up Newcastle were last season. Not sure if our team from last season would have done a job on Sunday.

Think you underestimate just how s**t and poorly set up Newcastle were last season. Not sure if our team from last season would have done a job on Sunday.

Oh, certainly, Newcastle already look a million times better than last season's rabble (albeit still a shambles at the back), but my point was that the side that played up there last season probably wasn't any better than the one that played Sunday, but that the shape was stronger with the defence offered a lot more protection - had we gone with our usual 4-3-3/4-2-1-3, we'd have been much more comfortable IMO.

I thought newcastle were excellent. haidara was quality at left back, thought we were lucky as obertan wasn't quite up to scratch. Had he been, and given cedric on a yellow/replaced by martina, could easily have conceeded another down the left.

Wijlnaldum had a stormer - exactly the kind of player in some ways saints need in midfield! Thought Colback and him completely overrun midfield.

We had lots of wing play with cedric (much less so with targett) and mane/tadic, and I noticed davis regularly went out wide, but that left the midfield quite a bit exposed and that's where on sunday newcastle were strongest. For me, Clasie or more likely the non-injured Reed in that role instead of Davis, who has a tendency to drift forward (to be fair, he's shipped around across the midfield/right so he's fairly used to being in the action up front), would have been better.

I think Wanyama just had to mop up so many times - actually quite a few times helping out in the back right corner when targett was struggling ! - for defense/all over midfield, that there was often a hole in front of the back four.

Thought Mane looked brilliant, as did Pelle.

Targett looked a little shell shocked, while Steklenburg was great. I tipped Stekkers with tekkers (you're welcome) for my fantasy league team as I think he'll have a great return-to-form season.

Oh, certainly, Newcastle already look a million times better than last season's rabble (albeit still a shambles at the back), but my point was that the side that played up there last season probably wasn't any better than the one that played Sunday, but that the shape was stronger with the defence offered a lot more protection - had we gone with our usual 4-3-3/4-2-1-3, we'd have been much more comfortable IMO.

Agree with that, though depends how far the shape and protection would have come at the expense of a threat going forward. The strength of our system is that we don't need to do a lot to win games; but even by our frugal standards, I remember very few clear chances last season -and, of course, Elia's goals had a mighty stroke of luck about them. Could we have got away with something similar without taking a few more risks or is it simply enough to wait for the likes of Coloccini to screw up is anyone's guess.

I felt Davis was superb in this game. Seemed to be everywhere, barley put a foot wrong and made some great saves and dangerous runs/passes. Glad to see he is winning the poll and that the fans appreciate him on mass!

Wheat be lost without him...

But that's impossible, I realise Pardew had left by then but we were still playing his way and the papers, Talksport, all the pundits etc tell me how good he is and how we should have really been thankful to have him. The difference with Colback and Anita (both played in both games iirc), having play go through them instead of over them, playing the ball out from the back instead of "HOOF!". The man is a bog standard prem/championship manager at best who gets fantastic coverage off the press.

You were lucky he didn't stay with you long enough to have to get rid of him for footballing reason.;)

I'm pretty sure Palace finishing above Newcastle again this season (as they will) will put that theory to bed.

He near relegated us twice through his tactics alone and we played more entertaining football on Sunday than in all bar about a dozen games of his 4yrs in charge. Funny how those defending him in ther media weren't those watching his team every week. He may learn as he goes and Palace will get the benefit, if he carries on like he did here, there will be ups, which will get praised to the hilt and deeper downs, that will be lamed on other things. The media will buy it, the public that aren't too close will believe it.

He near relegated us twice through his tactics alone and we played more entertaining football on Sunday than in all bar about a dozen games of his 4yrs in charge. Funny how those defending him in ther media weren't those watching his team every week. He may learn as he goes and Palace will get the benefit, if he carries on like he did here, there will be ups, which will get praised to the hilt and deeper downs, that will be lamed on other things. The media will buy it, the public that aren't too close will believe it.

Which two seasons did Alan Pardew near-relegate you?

He was gone for the half season local passionate understands the club super Geordie John Carver nearly relegated you. The season you were in the quarter finals of the Europa League you finished 16th but only dropped to there very late in the season and didn't spend a single week in the relegation zone, mainly being mid table. Maybe the fact you were also in the quarter finals of the Europa League was a factor.

Maybe you mean the season you finished fifth?

If he was from Gosforth you'd effing love him.

Which two seasons did Alan Pardew near-relegate you?

He was gone for the half season local passionate understands the club super Geordie John Carver nearly relegated you. The season you were in the quarter finals of the Europa League you finished 16th but only dropped to there very late in the season and didn't spend a single week in the relegation zone, mainly being mid table. Maybe the fact you were also in the quarter finals of the Europa League was a factor.

Maybe you mean the season you finished fifth?

If he was from Gosforth you'd effing love him.

Last season and 2012-13. I'm saying last season because when Carver took over nothing changed, it had Pardews stamp on it and the season was the same as the one before, OK results (dire performances) till new year then off a cliff (2013-14 after boxing day P20 W5 D1 L14) and no distractions of Europe or Cup runs (knocked out in the 3rd round at home to Cardiff)

Yes we were in Europe on one of those seasons, I'll bet you don't suffer like we did by having a defined style of play that you play week in, week out, we never had that. Pardew says he likes his teams to play attractive front foot football, he may like them to but it rarely happened in 4 years up here. You'll find being in Europe won't be as much a factor for yourselves. Cast your mind back to March last year, you kick our arses 4-0, could easily have been more, could've been more than you put past our dear neighbours last season, that was a regular performance from us and the amount of games we won by the odd goal without being the better team doesn't bare thinking about.

Why are you making a big thing about Carver ?, as if we wanted him because he is a Geordie, nobody wanted him even as a coach never mind manager. Look beyond the red top headlines, strangely the managers and players we've effing loved are those that done well, entertained and were honest, doesn't matter where from.

I repeat, I saw more pattern, defined style of play and hope on Sunday than I did in 4yrs of Pardew.

I don't think he did "nearly get you relegated" though.

I think he might have had a problem getting the same results in the latter stages of the season with the chairman selling his best players mid-season - but that's not something he'll have to worry about so much at Palace, yet. We'll see how McClaren does when whoever's doing well for you disappears in January.

FWIW I think Stoke, Swansea, Saints and Palace will all finish above Newcastle this season, especially with that defence. You and Villa can fight it out for "big name team scuffling around not far above the relegation zone" rights again.

Last season and 2012-13. I'm saying last season because when Carver took over nothing changed, it had Pardews stamp on it and the season was the same as the one before, OK results (dire performances) till new year then off a cliff (2013-14 after boxing day P20 W5 D1 L14) and no distractions of Europe or Cup runs (knocked out in the 3rd round at home to Cardiff)

Yes we were in Europe on one of those seasons, I'll bet you don't suffer like we did by having a defined style of play that you play week in, week out, we never had that. Pardew says he likes his teams to play attractive front foot football, he may like them to but it rarely happened in 4 years up here. You'll find being in Europe won't be as much a factor for yourselves. Cast your mind back to March last year, you kick our arses 4-0, could easily have been more, could've been more than you put past our dear neighbours last season, that was a regular performance from us and the amount of games we won by the odd goal without being the better team doesn't bare thinking about.

Why are you making a big thing about Carver ?, as if we wanted him because he is a Geordie, nobody wanted him even as a coach never mind manager. Look beyond the red top headlines, strangely the managers and players we've effing loved are those that done well, entertained and were honest, doesn't matter where from.

I repeat, I saw more pattern, defined style of play and hope on Sunday than I did in 4yrs of Pardew.

I love this.

Last season when Pardew nearly got Newcastle relegated. I stopped reading at that point. :D That's up there with Portsmouth building a 60,000 stadium for detachedness from reality, that one.

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2015/06/25/newcastle-sunderland-reviewed/

"Newcastle finished the season in 15th place on 39 points. The second half of the season (after the departure of Alan Pardew) was truly dismal, with 26 points coming in the 18 games before Pardew left and only 13 points in the 20 games when John Carver took over."

You can't blame Pardew for problems that didn't exist when he was still manager.

PS Keegan second time around was sh111te and so was Shearer, so "strangely the managers and players we've effing loved are those that done well" doesn't hold any water either.