Newcastle 2 Saints 2

Lighthouse

Man of the Match  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match

You have to admire McLaren's determination to fight reality, he just flatly refuses to accept that he is bald.

We need more managers with blind faith.

Well done to him for retaining that small hamster corpse above his forehead.

It doesn't look ridiculous.

The Guardian noted that "Anita’s passing consistently confounded Southampton and (Newcastle) adapted well to McClaren’s tactic of pressing a little higher up the pitch." Saint's late dominance came after he was stretchered off. Perhaps he was the reason for so many misplaced passes. As we all know now there is work to be done improving our midfield tactics when the oppos have a dominant player controlling the centre.

Worth noting the author of the Guardian piece is Louise Taylor, whose articles are written entirely from the eyes of the two big north-east clubs, so any opinions expressed there should be taken with a heavy pinch of salt.

I didn't think Anita was anything special, it's more that Tiote is an absolute liability, and that Newcastle visibly sat deeper in the last half an hour which invited us on.

Couldnt give a sh*t who is responsible, but with just over 2 weeks to go it is up to our club to say "Enough" and move on.

And if we are talking about the predillections of posters, "good old SOG" for keeping up his stalking / twisting routine.

Stalking? You are as hard to avoid as the clap in a brothel when things are going your way Alpine. As for twisting. Really? What have I twisted? You jump all over the management of the club every time they don't come up to your expectations. And that is pretty much every transfer window. Even when we did sign someone early in the season (Martina) you slated him as being a pub footballer. You really need to find something else to take your frustrations out on otherwise one of these days they will find you slumped over your keyboard.

You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes but that doesn't stop you making negative assumptions and spouting your nonsense here. Really, just try waiting to see what happens before you dump your negativity on others.

You have to admire McLaren's determination to fight reality, he just flatly refuses to accept that he is bald.

We need more managers with blind faith.

Well done to him for retaining that small hamster corpse above his forehead.

It doesn't look ridiculous.

He will still have to go some way to beat Bobby Charlton's efforts to deny baldness. That comb-over lasted for years!

Worth noting the author of the Guardian piece is Louise Taylor, whose articles are written entirely from the eyes of the two big north-east clubs, so any opinions expressed there should be taken with a heavy pinch of salt.

I didn't think Anita was anything special, it's more that Tiote is an absolute liability, and that Newcastle visibly sat deeper in the last half an hour which invited us on.

The observation that Newcastle lost their hold after Tiote is a correct one, but I'd agree with you on Anita - I don't think he was particularly special in the game, it's just that Tiote was so far off of batch fitness it was frightening. He didn't look anywhere near ready for PL football.

interesting comments on this thread... regards Mane and his hopeless finishing yesterday... Shane Long made it perfectly clear in the post match what he thought. Missing 1 clear cut chance per game is no sin , but Mane will have to sharpen up. I thought last season he was very effective in most games whilst often playing like a headless chicken. This season for him will have to be one where he hones a few skills and becomes ( cliche alert ) a most complete player. He is a professional and can handle criticism.. In the same way Pelle did at the end of last season....

Thought first half, both defences were woeful. Quite possibly the worst I've seen us defend in years. For the first game of the season, the pitch looked a little dry and cut up but was so far up it may just have been my eyes. There did seem to be a number of miss kicks in our penalty area first half. Targett was awful first half but got little protection, was much better second half after the second Newcastle goal where he could have hid to be honest. Martina was a lot better in defence than Cedric, but we lost a little going forward.

From the start of the second half, thought we were by far the best team. Great counter attack by Newcastle but we should have been 2-1 before then - Yoshida's chance should have been buried.

We definitely went all out attack to hide our defensive inefficiencies. It almost looked 424 at times. Tadic/Jay Rod offered little protection to their fullbacks but were both dangerous going forward. Was a damn good game to watch live.

Don't think I've been to many games where both teams are still going for the win in the last 5 minutes - it was end to end, nobody settling for the draw and great to see. I'll be happy with that approach with the rest of the season.

We were easily bullied in the first half where Newcastle bossed it. However, they have some powerhouses in the midfield now and a lot of pace themselves. Clasie would have made no difference to that. It was one of those games that both teams could have argued they deserved a win. In hindsight, the draw was probably the fairest result.

I'm not worried about Mane at all. It's frustrating he missed those two chances, but he did well to even create the chances for himself in the first place. I've seen them described as sitters which they weren't.

The first shot was powerful and on target, and was almost definitely on track to beat the keeper, but unfortunately was blocked by a good piece of defending. The second he did well to cut inside and drive at the defence, he got the right shape on the shot to beat the keeper with his weaker left foot but unfortunately just wide.

I know the club aren't planning any further signings and consider Clasie a replacement. But I still feel we need another experienced central midfielder. With more games to play this season we are going to need more depth even if we had kept Morgan. I'm disappointed that we haven't looked to further improve that area considering amount of money we made from the deal.

I'd by happy (and not all surprised ) if we get in another decent DM. I just think people are going to compare every DM we sign to Morgan when a like for like replacement is unlikely.

I'd by happy (and not all surprised ) if we get in another decent DM. I just think people are going to compare every DM we sign to Morgan when a like for like replacement is unlikely.

Agreed and Morgan has god like status now - missing the fact it took him years to get to that level and missed quite a few games last year.

We all know we need one more CB and holding midfielder and am sure some have the 'Morgan sized hole in midfield ' on cut & paste.

Clasie may well turn into that but some are expecting him to hit the ground running after 2 games which is a joke - he will take time but am sure he will become a very good player for us.

The observation that Newcastle lost their hold after Tiote is a correct one, but I'd agree with you on Anita - I don't think he was particularly special in the game, it's just that Tiote was so far off of batch fitness it was frightening. He didn't look anywhere near ready for PL football.

Also their two CBs had barely played in preseason, Coloccini hadn't played at all. He got done too easily for at least one of the Mane chances at the end.

It was pretty obvious that Mane felt the same as Erwin.

I just have a sneaking little doubt, we had a lot of badly miss-placed passes yesterday, and so did Newcastle and a lot of other teams, and shots that were off target that normally would have been buried. First game of the season and a new PL ball that has been promised to be more true in flight. I know the teams have all been practicing with it for a few weeks, but it may take a bit of getting used to for some players. Not an excuse and I may be over exaggerating but it was very noticeable yesterday (and Saturday). Then again our passing was awful against Vitesse as well.

This might sound stupid but I thought the ball looked heavy and struggled quite often to reach targets, even a lot of goalkeeper clearances didn't seem to go as far as normal

This might be due to early season or I could just be making it up

Happy with the 2-2 overall.

First the bad.... I hate to press the panic button too early but thought we really missed Morgan, he was like a shield breaking up play in front of the defence but every attack from Newcastle seemed to reach our back line, when you are under so much pressure there are going to be goals leaked.

Defence very poor first half and was a little disappointed with Targett to be honest, but dont want to judge him, it was a tough fixture.

But the positives, Pelle had one of his best games for us I think. Clinical finish and looked mobile and came looking for the ball.

I think Mane is going to be the standout player this year to be honest. Yes he missed some chances but he also created them, he has pace, skill and is so unpredictable I don't think he even knows what he will do next. I predict here Mane will get at least 15 goals this season and be the big money sale next summer.

Long proved he is a very handy supporting player, exactly what we need late in games.

On balance, a tidy point for first game of the season but must must get another quality CB and possibly holding midfielder... I know we have Clasie but watched him at ST Mary's for the Europa game looks like a school boy, worry for him in Premiership

As others have said, Pelle was very good leading the line

now and then, he does little to challenge for the ball when it is up in the air but he was a constant problem for their defence, scored a fantastic header and moved a fair bit across the front that made space for Mane and others

I know we have Clasie but watched him at ST Mary's for the Europa game looks like a school boy, worry for him in Premiership

I don't share your worry, Clasie is an excellent player. He's been playing international football for 3 years including the World Cup in Brazil.

His fitness levels will improve, he'll need to get used to the physicality and pace of the Premier League and he needs to settle in. He's young, moving country, his wife has just given birth, all this will have an effect, he needs time and patience and understanding from Saints fans more than anything right now.

I don't share your worry, Clasie is an excellent player. He's been playing international football for 3 years including the World Cup in Brazil.

His fitness levels will improve, he'll need to get used to the physicality and pace of the Premier League and he needs to settle in. He's young, moving country, his wife has just given birth, all this will have an effect, he needs time and patience and understanding from Saints fans more than anything right now.

That's Clasie fooked then!

Apart from lacking the bottle to send Mitrovic off.

Agree. The assault on Targett was one of the worst I have seen, and if Targett hadn't jumped in the air, it would have been a leg breaker. Straight red. Couldn't believe MOTD pundits saying a yellow was right. Then the flailing arm smash on Yoshida. That guy either has to cool it or marked out as a constant offender.

Just watched Mane's last two chances again and don't think either were sitters. Great movement for both but the defender got a good block in for the first. For the second it isn't easy to be that accurate at speed. Perhaps he shouldn't have tried to stick it right in the corner but players of that quality go for that and he was unlucky, just a shade out and you look like an idiot. Quality player who will score plenty of goals for us. Steve Davis wasted better chances against Spurs last season.

Just watched Mane's last two chances again and don't think either were sitters. Great movement for both but the defender got a good block in for the first. For the second it isn't easy to be that accurate at speed. Perhaps he shouldn't have tried to stick it right in the corner but players of that quality go for that and he was unlucky, just a shade out and you look like an idiot. Quality player who will score plenty of goals for us. Steve Davis wasted better chances against Spurs last season.

mane should have done better out of the two chances.

Newcastle "should" also have done better out of several clear cut chances that they had earlier in the game.

indeed. But just agreeing with our assistant manager. He has probably forgotten more about the game than either of us could ever know

if he says w should have won the game with those mane chances and was disappointed. Then I cant see any reason to disagree

Agree. The assault on Targett was one of the worst I have seen, and if Targett hadn't jumped in the air, it would have been a leg breaker. Straight red. Couldn't believe MOTD pundits saying a yellow was right. Then the flailing arm smash on Yoshida. That guy either has to cool it or marked out as a constant offender.

It was a clear cut hack and should have been a red. I'd say the same if one of our players had done it.

Youthful enthusiam apparently...

Mot Mitrovic, but Colbeck's triple assault on Mane was also reprehensibe. None of the htree fouls on their own was bad, but the ref let the first and second go in order to play advantage, but had to give in when Colbeck finally tripped Mane to bring him to the ground. You could argue that at least two of the fouls should have been a yellow, but in a sequence like that of course they wouldn't be.

indeed. But just agreeing with our assistant manager.

That's football though isn't it? You have to take your chances and if Newcastle had of done they would have been out of sight well before Long got the equaliser. As long as Mane keeps making the runs he does he will get goals. The attacker hasn't been born yet who puts every chance away. Harsh to blame Mane for not getting three points after the two poor goals we gave away.

That's football though isn't it? You have to take your chances and if Newcastle had of done they would have been out of sight well before Long got the equaliser. As long as Mane keeps making the runs he does he will get goals. The attacker hasn't been born yet who puts every chance away. Harsh to blame Mane for not getting three points after the two poor goals we gave away.

better tell that to Erwin. who was not too chipper and mentioned Mane individually

better tell that to Erwin. who was not too chipper and mentioned Mane individually

I am sure he wasn't. He would have wanted a win. But that was made less likely by very poor defending and poor 1st half performance. Taking the game as a whole we were lucky to come away with a point even if we did finish the game stronger than them. As I said, if they had taken their chances earlier we would have been well out of the game by the time we got our 2nd.

It's not healthy, this growing campaign to diss Mane for the two misses. Looking at the replays, the speed of the action, and bodies converging around Sadio, the first opportunity did not seem that easy as perhaps supporters are claiming. Had either ball gone in we would have claimed it as a brilliant goal. We expect perfection of Mane always. Time to move on. He will continue to do us proud.

It's not healthy, this growing campaign to diss Mane for the two misses. Looking at the replays, the speed of the action, and bodies converging around Sadio, the first opportunity did not seem that easy as perhaps supporters are claiming. Had either ball gone in we would have claimed it as a brilliant goal. We expect perfection of Mane always. Time to move on. He will continue to do us proud.

of course it is time to move on. Just responding to the game. Just seen the Erwin interview again. He states his disappointment in not winning the game and mentions those two chances from Mane...is he dissing our own player?

also, just seen the mitrovic tackle again. not as bad as it appeared yesterday IMO

Actually a shame (for justice) that the ref gave him the yellow because without that, I would have expected the FA Panel to have issued a retrospective red on Monday morning.

That elbow on Yoshida was pretty muggy and malicious (not spotted by the ref, so grounds for retrospective punishment).

As others have said, Pelle was very good leading the line

now and then, he does little to challenge for the ball when it is up in the air but he was a constant problem for their defence, scored a fantastic header and moved a fair bit across the front that made space for Mane and others

You've told us on numerous occasions how 'gash' Pellè is though.

Agreed. And Yoshi missed an easier chance but because Mane's came right at the end Yoshi got away with it.

To be fair, the Mane misses didn't look that bad on TV. In the stand, they both looked a lot more clear cut.

The first one is a great block in fairness, the second one - I think the entire away end was half way through celebrating before we realised he had missed. He had just run half the length of the pitch, in the 94th minute, past two defenders and pretty much created it himself.

Anybody slating him is off their head. He's an enigma - let him do what he wants. Yes he'll be frustrating but he's going to create and score us bundles this year. Newcastle didn't know how to handle him - our own players didn't know what he was going to do.

Same with Tadic to some extent. He created far more chances than MOTD showed last night. Going forward, he's going to frustrate and entertain. If Yoshida hadn't missed what must have been the second easiest chance of the game (after Cisse's) then we'd be talking about Tadic having two assists.

They offer nothing in defence - but I'm prepared to put up with that as we look so good going forward. Its going to be exciting. We're going to concede a lot more than we did last year, we're also going to score a lot more.

Out of interest, for comparison sakes, last years win at Newcastle was a smash and grab by all accounts. They battered us for most of the game. This year, we looked more than a match for them in the second half, and the amount of chances created bodes well. Get another top class defender and Bertrand back, we'll be fine, and possibly a better team than last year.

of course it is time to move on. Just responding to the game. Just seen the Erwin interview again. He states his disappointment in not winning the game and mentions those two chances from Mane...is he dissing our own player?

He did say that, but he is stating a fact immediately after the game. And any analysis back with the players would clearly discuss all opportunities and mistakes. But I'm sure there will have been a red line drawn on these, unless used during tactical discussions, which would be positive.

Agreed. And Yoshi missed an easier chance but because Mane's came right at the end Yoshi got away with it.

I thought he was a bit unlucky. Good header into the ground, but just a bit too close to their goalkeeper, who made an outstanding (and somewhat lucky) save with his leg.

I love the guy but am bit ****ed off that Koeman wasn't there. I know he had a dodge achilles but missing the opening game of the season isn't on really, all he has to do is sit there ffs

Posters posting trash isn't really on either, but it still happens.

Out of interest, for comparison sakes, last years win at Newcastle was a smash and grab by all accounts. They battered us for most of the game.

Not sure I'd agree with that, I can't remember Forster having anything to do. They had a lot of the ball and put us under pressure that night but don't think they created anything - even the goal was a complete fluke (much like their first yesterday) when Gardos punted a clearance against Gouffran's knee and it flew into the top corner. We didn't create much ourselves (although Pellè hit the bar in the second half) but we looked pretty solid, I think.

Of the three chances I still think that Maya's was the most straightforward and you could tell by his face that he knew it was a glorious opportunity. Pelle and Long both had more to do with their respective headers. Still, it is done now and Newcastle squandered plenty of good opportunities too.

Not sure I'd agree with that, I can't remember Forster having anything to do. They had a lot of the ball and put us under pressure that night but don't think they created anything - even the goal was a complete fluke (much like their first yesterday) when Gardos punted a clearance against Gouffran's knee and it flew into the top corner. We didn't create much ourselves (although Pellè hit the bar in the second half) but we looked pretty solid, I think.

Oh we definitely looked more solid last year up there - might just be my memory but didn't think we created a lot and remembered being under pressure most of the game. Always felt this time round we looked dangerous every time we went forward and we had another goal in us. Even in the first half when we were playing bad, there was the Jay Rod header (should have done better), Cedric's chance, Tadic's shot and the goal.

Perhaps battered was a little over the top but I felt like we were well on top in the second half and had the better of the clear cut chances overall. Last year, I thought we got away with it a little bit - end of the day we got 3pts last year and 1pt this year. I supposed I just like the way we were attacking and throwing caution to the wind. Trade off was defensively, first half at least, we were awful.