Newcastle 2 Saints 2

Lighthouse

Man of the Match  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match

We went from nervy and shaky for the first 60 mins to dominant and relaxed for the last part of the game.

Mixed performance. Encouraging signs and now we must surely know we NEED defensive reinforcements.

VvD on his way hopefully.

Good point on reflection.

I'll take 2 -2 with the way our defence was pulled all over the place in the first half. Terrible formation to start with JRod was a passenger and exposed the left hand side of the defence. Completely different team once he was replaced. He is a fantastic player and needs to be an impact player for a while.

I thought Cuco looked ok when he came on but I just don't get the 'Tadic played well' comments. I thought he was weak but its all about opinions.

thought we played poorly in the 1st half but finished by far the better side.

we had the best chances, Mane and yoshida missing two very easy ones.

Targett was horrendous for most of that game.

That Mitrovic looks like a unit

What a great game! In the end we deserved all 3, but it's still a fine fight back. Don't be harsh on Mane. It was only his brilliance that made those two chances. The first was more a brilliant block than his mistake. He's an incredible player. And he helped make the first goal. I love this team! Davies superb today. Tadic looks really sharp again. Yes, we miss Toby and Bertrand. But at least Bertrand will be back before long....

Decent second half after they socred, we looked much more in control, and in the end we should have won it, they were not a threat once they went ahead. Great goal by Shane, and cross by Tadic. Take that, but lots to do for the future. There was a massive Morgan-shaped hole in the middle and that has to be filled somehow.

We saw the worst of Mane today, and glimpses of why he has to start... JRod off the pace. Cedric looking world class going forwards and Conference class defending. Whole team looked shaky. Hopefully this is the wake up they needed...

Mane should of scored at least one of those chances, terrible finishing.

Overall happy with a point considering we were total **** for large parts of the game.

Tadic or Davis motm for me.

To be fair Mane had to show great skill and run to create those late chances, but yes, you expect him to hit the back of the net with one of them. Much better second half - Martina and Long steadied the ship. Davis very good all day; Tadic did some good things. Mane had a better second half.

Mane misses two sitters in injury time, would have been harsh on Newcastle, but should have won it.

yes full credit for blowing 2 game winning sitters

Neither of them were sitters. He done well to carve open the chances himself. Gutted he didn't take either of them though!

I've just got in and seen the score. An away draw on the opening day is not to be sneezed at. It's going to be a long season and there will be many highs and lows to come yet. I look forward to seeing the extended highlights later this evening :rolleyes:

I wonder which Mané we shall see next week?

I thought Cuco looked ok when he came on but I just don't get the 'Tadic played well' comments. I thought he was weak but its all about opinions.

Whoscored's statistical analysis have Tadic man of the match with an 8.2 rating.

Sent from my HTC Desire 310 using Tapatalk

Could have won it, could have lost it. Typical thrills and spills opening game, and a draw is a good result up at a rejuvenated Newcastle.

The 2 area's which aren't quite right are the area's which we know we'll be fixing - CM and CB. Cedric looks frightening going forward, but an utter mess defensively - but I'm sure he'll get better.

If Targett doesn't learn from this game then he won't go far, positionaly he was diabolical - needs to concentrate a lot more and, Newcastle preyed on his fragility most of the game.

Overall, I'd say that was a positive start. Defensively we looked pretty ****, but we kind of all expected that - still work to be done in those area's. The attack looks very nice though, Mane is just pure brilliance. He should have won it, but his pure class got us those openings in the first place. He looks much better than he did last season already. Good to see the 'real' Tadic back as well, that cross for Long's goal was magic.

Onto the next one...

Mane is an amazing player, was unlucky not to get the third after an excellent bit of defending by Colback (who was very good actually) and the angle for the second meant that I think it would have been knocked out for a corner had it been on target anyway.

I thought Fonte had one of his poorest games, guess he was due one! We certainly do need Ryan back and to get another centre back in.

I do also like Martina.

A draw, disappointing, but given the fact we normally always lose up there, I'll take it, first point on the board.

To be fair Mane had to show great skill and run to create those late chances, but yes, you expect him to hit the back of the net with one of them.

quite.

it's all very well saying don't be harsh on him... He's a great player (which he is....apart from his league 1 lazy passing sometimes) but f*ck me you have got to score those kind of chances.

All the skills and pace in the world mean sod all if you spoon golden match winners like that ...

I'm pretty happy with that. Missing Clasie, Berty and our yet to be discovered Toby replacement, not to mention Fraser so conceding a couple away from home is hardly a surprise. Good solid hour for J Rod too even if he did have a quiet game.

Mané... If he was burying those every week he would be at Barcelona.

Don't be harsh on Mane. It was only his brilliance that made those two chances.

At ****ing last. Some sense.

Everyone on here *****ing about Mane missing 'sitters' as if they were tap-ins rolled across the face of goal, when in fact, he was essentially faced with the task of beating two players and the goalkeeper and almost managed it twice!

He's an unbelievable talent. The goals will come.

Mané should have won us that game. He did play well otherwise though.

Really? I didn't think so. I'm with mcbendy in that he showed glimpses of why he has to start, but for a lot of the game he gave the ball away cheaply or ran into trouble. On another day his control would be better, his tricks would come off and he would be unplayable, but I would say that he was below par today. He seemed to come alive in the last few minutes, and then fluffed the chances.

He's effective through the middle but not sure we can accommodate him there at the expense of losing control of the midfield. Sometimes it was like watching 5 a side, when one team loses the ball and the other team runs the entire length of the pitch for an attack of their own! Colback & Davis near the end springs to mind in particular!

The league is going to be bloody hard work this year. Satisfied with 2-2, hope we get a decent defender & midfielder in soon

Everyone on here *****ing about Mane missing 'sitters'

Bit of an exaggeration? 'Some' maybe?

Edited by Plastic

Cracking game, I enjoyed that, it was end to end stuff.

Newcastle are a very athletic an agressive team and will finish much higher up the table this season.

Need to work on better communication at the back but i'm sure we will improve with VVD perhaps coming in and Bertrand to come back from injury.

On another day Mane could have had a hat trick, was sometimes let down by his passing but my word does he make things happen for us.

The Mane Pelle Tadic combo is such a threat going forward, we will score lots of goals this season and we also have very good depth with Jay Rod Juanmi and Shane Long coming into the mix.

Really looking forward to see what we can do in the coming months.

I'm pretty happy with that. Missing Clasie, Berty and our yet to be discovered Toby replacement, not to mention Fraser so conceding a couple away from home is hardly a surprise. Good solid hour for J Rod too even if he did have a quiet game.

Mané... If he was burying those every week he would be at Barcelona.

If you think Clasie (regardless of his injury) is ready to play in a game of that intensity then you are deluded. I wouldn't be surprised if it took him a whole season to get on the pace of the prem.

Martina looks a bargain, I suspect Soares was subbed because of the chance of a sending off. Davis had his best game for a long time and played many more forward passes. The back four looked anxious for a long time but settled down. Targett struggled with the pace a bit. Unlucky equaliser deflected over keeper. Pelle and Long excellent headers. Gave the ball away after Yoshida's poor header leading to a lightning break and brilliant goal, Yoshida should have buried it with the keeper on the deck. Two late misses by Mane could have won it. Good team performance against a very quick breaking Newcastle team. Good start and well earned point.

Happy with that . Tough start after Europa league , no Ron and toon with new manager . Not easy , especially as we defended so poorly . Davis mom , Mane both ends of the scale , world class one minute , hopeless the next . 2 great goals .

Targett out of his depth IMO , should have gone with Maya at full back & caulker in middle . Turning point was Maya's chance , you can not miss that . Then targett gives a poor ball from resulting corner and we're caught . Had we gone 2-1 up , we were set up to hit them on break .

I thought Colback did well for them , a couple of great bits of defending at the end , one block and also tracked a dangerous run from Mane .

All in all decent result

A game of 2 halves Gary ...

Cedric looked shaky after the silly booking, but Martina looked very good when he came on. JayRod was well of the pace.

On the positive note, we could easily have nicked it at the end and Davis had his best game for a long time.

A bit worried that Long as scored twice already, as that only leaves him another 6 for the season!