Newcastle 2 Saints 2

Lighthouse

Man of the Match  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match

Did Soares booking come from Tadic losing possession just inside the Newcastle, leaving Soares exposed? Otherwise thought he struggled defensively. Let the ball bounce too much and didn't know when to back off or go tight. Perhaps should have been more alert to the short-corner as well.

I thought he was unlucky to be booked for that one, but then made a challenge 5 mins later he could well have been booked for - writing looked on the wall then.

Genuine question. Colback got a yellow for about 4 fouls on Mane within 5 seconds, the ref playing advantage. A couple of those challenges could easily both have been yellows as Mane would have been away. Once the ref blew, could he have given two yellows there and then and a red? Cos he deserved it.

For me it was a red all day long. He practically assaulted Mane! I think the ref could have easily shown 2 yellows but never seen i happen and probably never will

For me it was a red all day long. He practically assaulted Mane! I think the ref could have easily shown 2 yellows but never seen i happen and probably never will

He knew he was on a virtual yellow and still chopped him down without even trying to pay the ball. If it is at all possible he should have been shown a red card, it could have an example for referee courses.

What did it mean? :-)

Accepting the establishment bullcrap. It comes from the Jonestown thing where there was a cult mass suicide by drinking poisoned Kool Aid handed out by the cult leader. Yeah, he spelled Kool Aid wrong because he has been living in the south too long) ;)

Edited by Ohio Saint

Mane was mustard, hard to predict and erratic but is our number 1 opportunity creator.

I wouldn't disagree that he "is" mustard, i.e. generally speaking, but I just can't see how you can say that about his performance today. He had moments of brilliance but for me was way below his recent standard for most of the game.

Pelle was the highlight for me, looks refreshed and back to his best.

Those slating Mane, make no mistake he is by far our best player and will be gone for big bucks next summer, enjoy him while we have him.

Martina was better than expected, although beaten FAR too easily in their goal. Didn't even challenge Wijnaldum.

Pelle was the highlight for me, looks refreshed and back to his best.

Those slating Mane, make no mistake he is by far our best player and will be gone for big bucks next summer, enjoy him while we have him.

Martina was better than expected, although beaten FAR too easily in their goal. Didn't even challenge Wijnaldum.

Yes, I was very frustrated by how easy he was beaten for that goal. The commentators said it was Wanyama, but there is no way in hell Wanyama would have been beaten like that. He didn't even attempt to stop it.

But he was more steady in full back than Cedric, who may take a little while to adjust - he was struggling against Obertan which was a tad concerning!

Disappointing thing about both their goals was the lack of challenge from our players. Cisse allowed to drift from his marker and chest in unchallenged. Same for the 2nd where Martina watched Wynaldum, letting him jump unchallenged. On the whole Martina seemed more solid if unspectacular going forward when he came on(i'll admit i was worried by the move at first glance, I’ll be happy if his role in the goal aside he remains defensively decent). Soares defensively looks worrying, especially when compared to watching Clyne later for Liverpool. Not as down on Targett as some others, thought he was wasn't terrible but neither was he great. Yoshida was poor today and you wonder if that might open the door for Caulker or a new signing to come straight in.

As others have said Davis was excellent today. Lovely freekick which yoshida should have converted too. If we aren't willing to give Reed a chance in the first team though think we need to buy another defensive mid for when Clasie/Wanyama are out. We were just far too open without Davis protecting further in front of the midfield two.

Mane was excellent. Unlucky with great Colback block and then probably should have scored with great late run, even if he was on the wrong foot.

Pelle took his goal very well.Long made a big difference when he came on. Guessing he’ll start next week.

All in all a draw was probably a fair result and one i would have taken away from home beforehand. Newcastle look to have made a couple of decent signings, though Mitrovic looks a sending off waiting to happen.

Hopefully we get a couple of signings completed quickly.

Disappointing thing about both their goals was the lack of challenge from our players. Cisse allowed to drift from his marker and chest in unchallenged. Same for the 2nd where Martina watched Wynaldum, letting him jump unchallenged. On the whole Martina seemed more solid if unspectacular going forward when he came on(i'll admit i was worried by the move at first glance, I’ll be happy if his role in the goal aside he remains defensively decent). Soares defensively looks worrying, especially when compared to watching Clyne later for Liverpool. Not as down on Targett as some others, thought he was wasn't terrible but neither was he great. Yoshida was poor today and you wonder if that might open the door for Caulker or a new signing to come straight in.

As others have said Davis was excellent today. Lovely freekick which yoshida should have converted too. If we aren't willing to give Reed a chance in the first team though think we need to buy another defensive mid for when Clasie/Wanyama are out. We were just far too open without Davis protecting further in front of the midfield two.

Mane was excellent. Unlucky with great Colback block and then probably should have scored with great late run, even if he was on the wrong foot.

Pelle took his goal very well.Long made a big difference when he came on. Guessing he’ll start next week.

All in all a draw was probably a fair result and one i would have taken away from home beforehand. Newcastle look to have made a couple of decent signings, though Mitrovic looks a sending off waiting to happen.

Hopefully we get a couple of signings completed quickly.

He really wasn't poor - he was helping cover Targett (who was poor) and also not helped by Fonte easily having his worst game in a while (by his standards).

The defence overall was however, pretty bad and far from what we've been used to. But they'll gel. We have Ryan to come back which will help.

Defence needs ALOT of work - we seemed far more open than last season (which I expected but hoped wouldn't be so bad)

J Rod clearly needs more game time to get back up to speed

Mane should have scored, created enough chances for himself, a pity he didn't.

Given how Newcastle were all over us for most of the match, the different fitness levels showed through in the end.

I'm happy to take a point from this match, it gets us started on the road to safety (which is always my first priority every season)

Not a great performance overall, but we didn't lose so that will do for now

We need to sign 2 players, preferably this week. Yes, we look like we're a threat up front but we've got to tighten up at the back. It's where we excelled last year and we won't finish top 10 with performances like today. Bertrand coming back will help but we desperately need a quality CB and another defensive midfield player. Until that happens I'd be inclined to bring in Caulker & play Yoshida at LB. Targett looked like out worst player today. Newcastle are average. A decent team would have put 3 or 4 past us today and that's worrying.

Agree with all that NYS.

Did you watch via NBC, had real problems getting my connection in UK (valid sub)?

Thanks

Alan

Yes, NBC. Superb streaming onto a computer in the US if you have a cable subscription. (and usually on TV too, though sometimes better HD on computer!)

Gutted Mane couldn't put one of those late chances away. That said a draw was prob fair. One of their handball-in-the-area claims could def have been given on a different day.

Their 2nd goal was just a classic, very well executed breakaway. The ultimate way to punish Yoshidas miss from point blank (you can say 'yes' it was a good save but you gotta score there...). Good that we had a defender up there in that position though. We were going for it most of the game.

Targett getting slagged a bit? FFS he ain't the starter and is very much at the beginning of his career. A great back-up to have. Could be a lot worse.

Disappointed that we only got a draw away at Newcastle after being behind. We've def come a long way...

Defence needs ALOT of work - we seemed far more open than last season (which I expected but hoped wouldn't be so bad)

J Rod clearly needs more game time to get back up to speed

I hope we are not all going to get too frustrated at the time it takes Jay to get back to his top form. Look how long it has taken Theo.

We need to sign 2 players, preferably this week. Yes, we look like we're a threat up front but we've got to tighten up at the back. It's where we excelled last year and we won't finish top 10 with performances like today. Bertrand coming back will help but we desperately need a quality CB and another defensive midfield player. Until that happens I'd be inclined to bring in Caulker & play Yoshida at LB. Targett looked like out worst player today. Newcastle are average. A decent team would have put 3 or 4 past us today and that's worrying.

''A better team would have beaten us today'' ''If we play like that next week, we'll get beaten'' etc etc. You hear stuff like that spouted out so often, yet it's such an irrelevant statement to make.

Personally, this was always going to be a very tricky opening day game. At home, 50k fans, new management, new signings, everyone buoyed and a sense of optimism. We showed great character to get a result today, and it was a very difficult game. Newcastle certainly weren't average today.

''A better team would have beaten us today'' ''If we play like that next week, we'll get beaten'' etc etc. You hear stuff like that spouted out so often, yet it's such an irrelevant statement to make.

Personally, this was always going to be a very tricky opening day game. At home, 50k fans, new management, new signings, everyone buoyed and a sense of optimism. We showed great character to get a result today, and it was a very difficult game. Newcastle certainly weren't average today.

I'd agree, that was an important point for me, our performance wasn't great, but we showed real character, fight and spirit to keep going, really good to see.

I'd agree, that was an important point for me, our performance wasn't great, but we showed real character, fight and spirit to keep going, really good to see.

Agree with that, despite their goals coming at bad times - just before and just after half time. Spirits didn't sink

''A better team would have beaten us today'' ''If we play like that next week, we'll get beaten'' etc etc.

The Wet Spam fans were crawling all over TalkSport after their pre-season and Europa woes, then look what happened today. Football.... it's a funny old game...

Well I said I wouldn't be too miffed with a draw and that seemed fair enough at the end. Thought you would be a bit sharper than us due to competitive games and so it turned out. Decent early season game, very stretched towards the end. Waiting for MotD to see if we should have had a pen or two and to see how you missed those two sitters.

Hope those who travelled up had a good time, I thought you had sold out your allocation, there was a few spare seats in your end.

I'll take a point away from home, especially given how we started. The defence was all over the place in the first half, with the two fullbacks particularly vulnerable. Soares struggled – three fouls and a yellow card in the first 20 minutes – and the CBs need to work on their communication. We got caught standing still for the second goal as well. Was that Cuco who failed to challenge for the header? I wonder if he thought the keeper was coming for it. Again, communication. Thought we got bossed about in central midfield most of the game as well, in the area where Morgan used to be. It was only towards the end – last 15-20 mins or so – that we took control there, or rather Mane took control. Thought he looked very positive overall, just a shame he couldn't nick us the win. Up front, Pelle was a real threat. The Newcastle CBs couldn't seem to handle him in the air, so it was good tactics to rely on crossing. That's where Soares really did well. J-Rod wasn't at his best, but that's entirely forgivable, and it's just good to see him out there.