Newcastle 2 Saints 2

Lighthouse

Man of the Match  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match

I think its fair to say that it was a strong Newcastle team, and we can be happy with a draw, but could have got the win.

Not a great performance, with Targett and Cedric's defensive frailty shown up.

Definitely positives though in Martina, Pelle and Mane's work to create chances.

Mane......??

ffs

mane should have scored.......misses a great chance

Mane should have buried that , according to 5 live

Mane should have won this.

The most frustrating F'ing player on the planet. Absolutely blew that... Twice

Mane misses two sitters in injury time, would have been harsh on Newcastle, but should have won it.

2 really good chances missed there. b0ll0x

Credit to Mane to get in positions to win it for us. Was ours to win...

Mane should of scored at least one of those chances, terrible finishing.

Overall happy with a point considering we were total **** for large parts of the game.

Tadic or Davis motm for me.

yes full credit for blowing 2 game winning sitters

So, yeah.

That'll be everyone.

Not that i'm unhappy about us scoring, far from it... but we barely deserved it. haha. (Actually makes it sweeter.)

Really? Did you honestly think that we barely deserved a point?? Even with the new additions and forced changes, I thought we were by far the better side. If the toon hadn't got that deflection off mane, or mitrovic had been given the straight red his assault on targett so clearly deserved, that would have been a comfortable win.

No too concerned about Cedric, he will learn and being at home next week will help.

Don't think either Fonte or Yoshida had a good game, a lot of panicky mistakes and lack of composure which is odd, will give them a pass.

Targett, again same as above he has been decent for us during a lot of games for today to be a write off, just an off day.

Davis was excellent I thought worked really hard and was my MOM.

Vic got better, wasn't his best day but I think he didn't get the support from the AM position (that davis usual occupies) and meant they were getting overrun more.

JRod, 1st game back and still needs to get sharp.

Mane I thought was really good, could of won it but happy with his input.

Tadic, I wasn't too impressed with, was non existent in the 1st half and came into it a bit more.

Pelle, thought was excellent and carried on his early season form.

Sub - Sclong - awesome and great goal.

Martina - very good and I was impressed by his pace as he has wheels to keep up with Obertan.

Passing was rubbish today I thought as was the real noticeable negative I took from this game.

Would of taken a draw before the game.

Overall, encouraging. Shows how far we have come to not play brilliantly, earn a point away from home and still come away slightly disappointed! Really thought Mane was going to convert one of those two late chances...Davis had a very solid, impressive game I thought. Wasn't sure about Jay Rod's role though?

Three good goals but that apart I thought it was a poor quality game, albeit packed with incident and a fair few chances. Newcastle are big and strong going forward and caused us problems down the channels, especially first half. As in the Vitesse away fixture we didn't retain possession well. Davis had a good second half. Pelle was good throughout. Content with the result if not the performance.

Bitter sweet feeling after this match as could have won it at the end but on balance a draw is OK. Newcastle played much better than I remember seeing them at any time last season but they faded towards the end and gave us more space to play in.

Overall our passing was poor and inaccurate, and also there seemed to be a lack of understanding between our players as a number of times 2 of our players went for the same ball and often a Newcastle player came away with the ball.

Team should improve when Bertrand and Clasie are back.

There's a bipolarity about Mané that has you on the edge of your seat, one way or the other.

In the space of a minute he can go from a headless, possession-surrendering chicken lacking in concentration and awareness to one of the most electrifying, unplayable players in the PL.

Weird game today. On the one hand I'm happy with the point because we over-exposed our back four, but on the other hand we had way more clear-cut chances than Newcastle and should have won by two or more.

Davis (especially in the 2nd half) Tadic, Pelle where good today. Martina and Long did well as substittutes.

Jay Rodriguez, Wanyama and Targett were very poor out there.

I was expeting to see Juanmi, a player who likes to create attack rather than get behind the defense all the time like Long and Mane. The problem was there was no link between the midfield and the attack, that's where we clearly missed Morgan. That's where Clasie should be a great help. It was no coincidence that the equalizer came when we held possesion for more than 5 seconds. There was also a lack of confidence by the the back to pass to the midfielders, there were too many long balls. They bypassed the midfield too much. Those long balls are easy for the opposition defense. The Saints are at their best when they control the tempo of the game. And you can't do that if you rush the play.

When Davis said on the second half "OK, give the ball to me", when he was the brain of the team out there and we started to pass to feet... it was a world of difference.

After this games I wouldn't jump to conclusions about Jay, Caulker, or Cedric. It's a long season with ups and downs.

Cedric, looked OK to me. I like him. He linked very well with Tadic. Much better on the offense than defence. I think he will get better. I don't think we will miss Clyne too much. It's just that when he and Targett got cought up there was no recovery from Wanyama. Matty's side was a problem all day long, we missed Bertrant, too. Davis is not Morgan either. Morgan was always in position when something went wrong. That was the unbalance. It was to be expected, it's hard to replace a player of that caliber who is great on both sides of the pitch. Today there were too many long balls and the lines were too apart from each other, and when that happens you suffer on the back. Adjustments are to be made, I'm sure.

All things considered, I'm pleased with the squad depth. There are a lot of options on the attack and defense, but we could really use a big and strong holding midfielder.

Funny old game to say the least.

I didn't think Rodriguez should have started, hasn't looked fully up to speed in pre season and it was too attacking a line up. We should have started with JWP, purely to help with ball retention.

They absolutely hammered us first hour, looked sharper, fitter, stronger and we could have been a couple down. We really shouldn't have given so many key players so much game time on Thursday.

After going 2-1 we woke up and battled, Davis and Wanyama got control of the midfield and we could have well nicked it at the end.

Tadic really struggled.

Mane was shattered.

I thought Pellè was excellent throughout.

Martina looks a bargain, I suspect Soares was subbed because of the chance of a sending off. Davis had his best game for a long time and played many more forward passes. The back four looked anxious for a long time but settled down. Targett struggled with the pace a bit. Unlucky equaliser deflected over keeper. Pelle and Long excellent headers. Gave the ball away after Yoshida's poor header leading to a lightning break and brilliant goal, Yoshida should have buried it with the keeper on the deck. Two late misses by Mane could have won it. Good team performance against a very quick breaking Newcastle team. Good start and well earned point.
I reckon Soares was subbed partly due to his booking, but also the fact he was getting roasted so much, another booking looked inevitable, he really struggled.

Felt we got bullied for a lot of the game and were quite fortunate to take the lead, although the cross and header were top quality - what we missed badly last season with Clyne on the right. Very poor from Targett for their second goal. Then when we equalised Newcastle ran out of steam and we finished the much better side. I won't berate Mane for those misses too much (they most certainly weren't 'sitters' as many on here claim) because it was only his brilliance that created the chances to begin with.

We definitely weren't at our best defensively, but we still have Bertrand to come back, and we know the club are doing everything they can to sign a quality CB before the window closes, so I'm not too concerned yet.

A draw away at a ground we usually lose at, against a rejuvenated team with a competent manager, is not too bad a way to start the domestic season.

Undefeated in 3 competitive games so far this season. Mustn't grumble really.

I am happy with the result. Sure we could have won it in the end, but for large portions of the game, the midfield got bossed a bit. It's not that they were bad, just that they weren't as good. Feel it had a detrimental effect on the back four as well. Looking forward to 1 decent midfield addition and a good defender.

Will add real stability.

Cedric has already produced more than Clyde did in all his time at saints but needs work defensively.

Overall 7.3/10

It's weird to see to see an English game with more Dutch than English players but there you go, I guess it won't be too long now before someone says there's no point in having a national team...

But with all those Dutchies and former Eredivisie players you get defensive mistakes too: Martina doing nothing to prevent Wijnaldum's header and the same goes for Janmaat against Long. The defence of the Saints looked vulnerable sometimes, it would have been a good game for Clasie as he would have made more interceptions. But Newcastle played a nice game, it seems that former Twente coach McLaren is going the Dutch way. Good to see Pelle back in form, hopefully Rodriguez can support him better after a couple of games. A draw seems fair to me though Mané...

Matt Targett probably was at fault for both goals.

BUT the lad carried on and stayed calm.

Young players have to learn some time.

He took a lot of stick on here today but I bet those couldn't point out more than 2 other bad games he's had?

Only fault I could find was failing to book cisse for simulation twice.

Take a look at mitrovices first touch of the ball on motd. I can only think the ref didn't send him straight off because it was his debut, or it was at home, or he'd only just come onto the pitch, or a combination of those factors. Awful challenge, and incidentally, where would that have left us if targett had been injured by it?

I think today shows just how far our club has come. We are not rich enough to have 22-25 top 6 quality players but even up against a flying pumped up Newcastle team in front of their own fans and the managers first game, without our strongest team by 4-5 players we still picked up a point and had more chances to win it!

I expect a new CB, a new CM and possibly another winger type, and then add in Classie Bertrand and Forster to the squad on show and we will be strong.Soares will settle to the pace and improve and Caulker will put pressure on Fonte which will help. Juanmi I think will probably end up starting more than Tadic.

No need to panic or slag off Mane for not scoring, one was a very good piece of defending, the other on his weaker foot.

Not the greatest performance but a positive point.

On the balance of play an away point is a good result. Defensively terrible in the first half but improved towards the end of the game. Think Targett was left exposed a bit by JRod on the left and Cedric needs to be a bit more aware defensively so he doesn't get caught out but think both are still good players for us especially Cedric. Shame the early fouls and booking meant he had to be subbed as he was looking very dangerous going forward.

In terms of midfield Wanyama didn't look interested for large portions of the game which put even more pressure on the defence and despite having an overall good game Davis is not a defensive midfielder and I beg the team to stop playing him there unless there's no one else. I hate when teams try putting square pegs in round holes and Reed is right there! Davis is best played in the 3 in front and i'd say is the best at linking play between the defensive mid and attack which is why it's noticeable when he's not there. Having said that I think have Clasie back as a ball-playing CDM will help with this as well.

Up front thought Pelle did well and Tadic had a good game while JRod isn't up to speed yet. Long contributing well as he always seems to and Mane a mix of frustrating and brilliant as normal. Was certain he was gonna bury that second chance!

One thing I will note is that both Mane and Tadic really need to stop looking at the ref for calls when tackles come in - too many times they just give up on the ball wanting a foul rather than playing to the whistle and it costs us possession.

Special mention to Newcastle as well who look improved for this season and could give some teams a tough time. If this had been later in the season when their team was match fit I don't think we would have got back into it.

At ****ing last. Some sense.

Everyone on here *****ing about Mane missing 'sitters' as if they were tap-ins rolled across the face of goal, when in fact, he was essentially faced with the task of beating two players and the goalkeeper and almost managed it twice!

He's an unbelievable talent. The goals will come.

Agreed. He will be our first £30+ player (when sold)

I reckon Soares was subbed partly due to his booking, but also the fact he was getting roasted so much, another booking looked inevitable, he really struggled.

Did Soares booking come from Tadic losing possession just inside the Newcastle, leaving Soares exposed? Otherwise thought he struggled defensively. Let the ball bounce too much and didn't know when to back off or go tight. Perhaps should have been more alert to the short-corner as well.

An away draw, which could have easily have been a win, when we didn't play well is a positive. We have 3 defensive players to add to that team, Claise, Bertrand and a new CB. The movement of the front 4 is excellent, it was our passing which let us down. Good to see Jay back although it did show he hadn't played for a long time, got caught an the ball a few times, just needs to get sharper.

Mane will get loads of goals and assist this season, he and Tadic frustrate me at times but they both are able to give us a bit of quality. Despite how stacked the starting 11 was with attackers we still had Jaunmi and Long on the bench to change it up. We have 6 good attacking options and, in Davis and JWP, 2 midfield players when we need 3 in the middle.

Get a top class center back and I will be happy but if we could get another first choice CM as well, I would be ecstatic.

Genuine question. Colback got a yellow for about 4 fouls on Mane within 5 seconds, the ref playing advantage. A couple of those challenges could easily both have been yellows as Mane would have been away. Once the ref blew, could he have given two yellows there and then and a red? Cos he deserved it.

What a great game! In the end we deserved all 3, but it's still a fine fight back. Don't be harsh on Mane. It was only his brilliance that made those two chances. The first was more a brilliant block than his mistake. He's an incredible player. And he helped make the first goal. I love this team! Davies superb today. Tadic looks really sharp again. Yes, we miss Toby and Bertrand. But at least Bertrand will be back before long....

Agree with all that NYS.

Did you watch via NBC, had real problems getting my connection in UK (valid sub)?

Thanks

Alan

Don't be harsh on Mane. It was only his brilliance that made those two chances. The first was more a brilliant block than his mistake. He's an incredible player. And he helped make the first goal.

Absolutely right!! On most other days, he would have won us the game with either of those two chances.