Newcastle 2 Saints 2

Lighthouse

Man of the Match  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match

Decent result on the road, keep on picking points away and turning SMS into a fortress and we'll do well.

Good to see Graziano looking sharp, if we can get a whole season from him then he could be a 20 goal striker for us.

Now need to back this up with a win next weekend.

On the whole it was a pretty fair result. I really hope our pressing and energy returns for the Everton game though. The most sickening thing about the game was Mane at the end. He could've won it. I'm not annoyed as it was a fair result but, just a bit gutted as I really thought he'd have buried the last chance in particular!

I've just seen Manes chances, they were hardly open goals. The first was a brilliant block the 2nd a defender was sliding in and the keeper was set.Ok you'd expect him to hit the target. I don't think Erwins man management by stating he should score is the right thing to do either. We shouldn't bash Manes confidence anymore. He is is good player and will develop into a top one

I've just seen Manes chances, they were hardly open goals. The first was a brilliant block the 2nd a defender was sliding in and the keeper was set.Ok you'd expect him to hit the target. I don't think Erwins man management by stating he should score is the right thing to do either. We shouldn't bash Manes confidence anymore. He is is good player and will develop into a top one

but our assistant manager - who knows best - said he was disappointed not to win because Mane missed those two chances.

saying he should have done better is hardly 'bashing his confidence'

One game in but already I see little reason to doubt why we should not match last season's performance going forward - indeed if Casie is as good as they say and JRod fully recaptures his form then we might well improve our goal tally significantly. However, our success in 2014-5 was largely built on a solid foundation of defensive resilience. It must be questionable whether - sans Alderweireld, Schneiderlin, Clyne, Forster and (temporarily we hope) Bertrand - we can be as defensively sound again this season.

Of those 3 permanently departed key players methinks that Morgan Schneiderlin will be the hardest one to replace in the long term - in his absence Victor Wanyama is now a crucial player for us and if he was to suffer a serious injury then we'd be in some trouble I think. Another quality DM addition would obviously be welcome. It also seems clear enough that Matt Targett is, at this early stage of his career, not an especially able LB in all honesty. So Ryan Bertrand's return cannot come too quickly.

The 'window' is still very open of course but right now I'm thinking that we may end up in a broadly similiar league position at the end of the season as we did last May - we may however take an entirely different route to get back there this time.

Having seen MOTD2 I agree with you. For the chance that was blocked he was turning back into heavy traffic and he won't be the first to pull his shot just wide of the post.

Targett was some way short of the required standard.

appears the players were a little tired after thursday.

may have to get used to that

I didn't see a problem with fitness, we grew as the game went on. If it had gone on for another 30 mins, we'd probably have won it. Newcastle were the ones out on the feet by the end.

I didn't see a problem with fitness, we grew as the game went on. If it had gone on for another 30 mins, we'd probably have won it. Newcastle were the ones out on the feet by the end.

not my words. Wanyama said the players were a bit 'knackered' after thursday and had to sharpen up in the 2nd half

We went for a pretty attacking line up away from home which didn't help Targett out at all. Would have been better to have played Davis in front of him ( and Reed along side Victor) to give him some protection. Jrod would have been better used as a sub like Long later in the game to have a crack at Newcastle's tired defence .

Well, not sure why he said that. Seems a bit of a loose excuse, because we didn't look tired what so ever.

The radio 5 commentators said, late in the first half, that they had expected us to look fitter, and sharper of the two teams because we had already played two competitive games. But they said "surprisingly, Newcastle look sharper and fitter across the pitch."

It may be that they went all out first half and thats what cost them in the last 20, when they looked shattered

Or rather, we didn't have Schneiderlin's replacement in the team on Sunday because we haven't signed him yet.

Thinking you're dreaming there. People need to get over this Morgan fixation we won't be getting a Morgan mk2. Clasie has clearly been brought in to be a starter in midfield shame the bloke is going to have a Morgan sized albatross to carry all season.

Why do you think Clasie hasn't joined us to be Schneidetrlin's replacement? Koeman has said on a number of occasions that he is the replacement.

And you're the one who's said we don't need anymore CM/DMs because we have Reed and JWP; but everything the club has said suggests we're keen to strengthen the position.

Need to stop p*ssing about with VVD and get a quality CB in to settle the defence.

Good old Alpine, never lets an opportunity to have a dig at the club go undug. Maybe it is Celtic you should be having a pop at since they are the ones who seem to be delaying the deal (if there is one).

Still, we played well and lost on the opening day of last season so I am happy with a point after a not so great performance.

We went for a pretty attacking line up away from home which didn't help Targett out at all. Would have been better to have played Davis in front of him ( and Reed along side Victor) to give him some protection. Jrod would have been better used as a sub like Long later in the game to have a crack at Newcastle's tired defence .

100% this. Was at game and surprised at the line up. First game of the season. Away from home. Always a Difficult ground to go to (irrespective of Newcastles form). If this game had been at St Mary's then maybe that would have worked. Got out of jail really, but I suppose , if you ain't going win it, then don't lose it.. And we didn't!!

Well you appeared to imply I said that they wouldn't sign another central midfielder. When all I actually said was that Clasie is the Schneiderlin replacement, you then leaped in to say the club want another central midfielder.

No. You've stated in the past that we don't need anymore midfielders. Check your posting history if you don't remember. HTH.

No. You've stated in the past that we don't need anymore midfielders. Check your posting history if you don't remember. HTH.

I was talking about the posts in this thread, the discussion you jumped in on was who was the Schneiderlin replacement. You have also just said that "everything the club has said suggests we're keen to strengthen the position". What are you claiming the club has said this summer about additional central midfielders and do you have links?

The club clearly feel that we need another CB, and more strength and experience in the middle. That's the 2 positions I can see being filled by deadline day, with the CB being the most important.

I have a feeling that there may be something in the Jedinak rumour. PL experience, international, good season for palace last year. He's a big presence on the field as well.

He may not be the sexy signing that many clamor for, but it would be a very shrewd signing that creates us a very strong midfield.

Need to stop p*ssing about with VVD and get a quality CB in to settle the defence.

Although we do definitely need this, the issue is as much if not more about filling the Morgan-shaped space in front of the 2 CBs. Our defence has been protected massively in the last couple of seasons, and now they are being threatened directly without this protection. They also do not have the outlet of the willing Morgan coming back, taking the ball from them and setting up a forward movement. In my opinion it is more important to solve this problem first, the new CB has to happen as well, but will not on its own be the answer. Fonte and Yoshida are experienced playing together and communicate well (normally) but they are being exposed more than they are used to.

Good old Alpine, never lets an opportunity to have a dig at the club go undug. Maybe it is Celtic you should be having a pop at since they are the ones who seem to be delaying the deal (if there is one).

Couldnt give a sh*t who is responsible, but with just over 2 weeks to go it is up to our club to say "Enough" and move on.

And if we are talking about the predillections of posters, "good old SOG" for keeping up his stalking / twisting routine.

Edited by alpine_saint

Reflecting on yesterday, really quite surprised that we do not learn from our past history.

I cannot remember a game where we started with four forwards and really tore the opposition apart. We had no control over midfield and nearly lost out as a result yesterday, Victor and Davis were only ever reactive and Pelle/Jay/Tadic/Mane at times couldn't play to their strengths as a result.

Nonetheless, we showed great spirit. Put in a more fluid game plan and there is reason for a great deal of optimism. We are two players away from a truly excellent squad.

The club clearly feel that we need another CB, and more strength and experience in the middle. That's the 2 positions I can see being filled by deadline day, with the CB being the most important.

I have a feeling that there may be something in the Jedinak rumour. PL experience, international, good season for palace last year. He's a big presence on the field as well.

He may not be the sexy signing that many clamor for, but it would be a very shrewd signing that creates us a very strong midfield.

The thing that bugs me with Jedinak is Palace signed Cabaye to replace him by the looks of things, judging by the team on Saturday and well I'd perfer we'd have signed cabaye ya know. Just overall would be naff plus he's 31 so no spring chicken

Couldnt give a sh*t who is responsible, but with just over 2 weeks to go it is up to our club to say "Enough" and move on.

And if we are talking about the predillections of posters, "good old SOG" for keeping up his stalking / twisting routine.

What makes you think signing someone else will be any quicker?

but our assistant manager - who knows best - said he was disappointed not to win because Mane missed those two chances.

saying he should have done better is hardly 'bashing his confidence'

It was pretty obvious that Mane felt the same as Erwin.

I just have a sneaking little doubt, we had a lot of badly miss-placed passes yesterday, and so did Newcastle and a lot of other teams, and shots that were off target that normally would have been buried. First game of the season and a new PL ball that has been promised to be more true in flight. I know the teams have all been practicing with it for a few weeks, but it may take a bit of getting used to for some players. Not an excuse and I may be over exaggerating but it was very noticeable yesterday (and Saturday). Then again our passing was awful against Vitesse as well.

Thinking you're dreaming there. People need to get over this Morgan fixation we won't be getting a Morgan mk2. Clasie has clearly been brought in to be a starter in midfield shame the bloke is going to have a Morgan sized albatross to carry all season.

I know the club aren't planning any further signings and consider Clasie a replacement. But I still feel we need another experienced central midfielder. With more games to play this season we are going to need more depth even if we had kept Morgan. I'm disappointed that we haven't looked to further improve that area considering amount of money we made from the deal.

Reflecting on yesterday, really quite surprised that we do not learn from our past history.

I cannot remember a game where we started with four forwards and really tore the opposition apart. We had no control over midfield and nearly lost out as a result yesterday, Victor and Davis were only ever reactive and Pelle/Jay/Tadic/Mane at times couldn't play to their strengths as a result.

Nonetheless, we showed great spirit. Put in a more fluid game plan and there is reason for a great deal of optimism. We are two players away from a truly excellent squad.

Had Clasie been fit you would have seen a different set-up, with Davis further forward and Jay Rod or Tadic dropping to the bench. My theory is that with a weakened defence, instead of trying to give them more protection and taking away strengths we have elsewhere Koeman decided to go 'all out' and see what happened. It nearly worked I suppose, though I don't really like it when Saints don't have control of the ball as the balance of the team is off.

I know the club aren't planning any further signings and consider Clasie a replacement. But I still feel we need another experienced central midfielder. With more games to play this season we are going to need more depth even if we had kept Morgan. I'm disappointed that we haven't looked to further improve that area considering amount of money we made from the deal.

If he signs I think van Dijk may possibly cover Wanyama in central midfield. Koeman was willing to use Alderweireld in that role and van Dijk appears to be very comfortable on the ball.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Had Clasie been fit you would have seen a different set-up' date=' with Davis further forward and Jay Rod or Tadic dropping to the bench. My theory is that with a weakened defence, instead of trying to give them more protection and taking away strengths we have elsewhere Koeman decided to go 'all out' and see what happened. It nearly worked I suppose, though I don't really like it when Saints don't have control of the ball as the balance of the team is off.[/quote']

Well indeed. Would have far preferred to see Reed or JWP start instead of Jay, his time will come again but it felt too early for me to put him in.

I was talking about the posts in this thread, the discussion you jumped in on was who was the Schneiderlin replacement. You have also just said that "everything the club has said suggests we're keen to strengthen the position". What are you claiming the club has said this summer about additional central midfielders and do you have links?

Ronald said just over a week ago that he expects 2 more signings, CB and midfield. He was not specific about whether defensive or whatever in midfield, but think it was pretty obvious as he had just been talking abut Clasie's injury. Sorry I don't have a link, but I have a life (allegedly). You need to go and replay all of his interviews for the last week or so in full and I'm sure you will find it if you want to.

How does 'strengthing the position' mean a first choice starting midfielder? It equally means depth, someone who can provide real competition and quality cover in the position.

Surely we dont sign players who we think couldn't be first choice?

If he signs I think van Dijk may possibly cover Wanyama in central midfield. Koeman was willing to use Alderweireld in that role and van Dijk appears to be very comfortable on the ball.

Hopefully we get him. Otherwise we'll still need better cover at both CB and D/CM.

The Guardian noted that "Anita’s passing consistently confounded Southampton and (Newcastle) adapted well to McClaren’s tactic of pressing a little higher up the pitch." Saint's late dominance came after he was stretchered off. Perhaps he was the reason for so many misplaced passes. As we all know now there is work to be done improving our midfield tactics when the oppos have a dominant player controlling the centre.