Saints fans have no reason to envy transfer dealings of the likes of Palace and Stoke

Saint-Armstrong

I'm not sure - our dip started in November against Stoke - up to then we had had dreadful spells in games, but equally also had good spells and managed to get wins or draws (e.g. Bournemouth). From then until Watford we were wasteful in front of goal and were playing like we had a broken spirit (even if at times we still played well), and Ronald's demeanour reflected his team. If it was Europa disappointed surely this would have kicked in earlier?

Last season I wasn't convinced on Forster (albeit he did come up with one or two 'Arsenal' type displays), but his return certainly seems to have galvanised the team defensively, whether because they have more confidence in him or because he has been organising them well.

Watching the MOTD highlights and at one stage you can hear him bellowing at his team mates and organising the defense something none of our other keepers, who have played this season, seem to do or a least not that I've noticed.

Don't doubt this but similarly you have to wonder how playing the group stages would have stretched the squad.

All hypothetical of course, it might have left us fairly fragile for league fixtures, but it could have been the making of say Reed or someone.

Yeah it could of gone 2 ways, perform well in the 6 games and it would of given us confidence and the fringe players more game time. Performed badly and it would of dented our confidence more and made our players more drained.

Watching the MOTD highlights and at one stage you can hear him bellowing at his team mates and organising the defense something none of our other keepers, who have played this season, seem to do or a least not that I've noticed.

Yes I heard that too. He gave individual instruction to the player closing down their forward and then called for the whole defence to push out. Very loud, very clear and very impressive leadership.

This thread just highlights the thinking of any football forum. Endless changing of opinion and people wanting today see I was right after every win or loss. We have our over the top negatives, our ridiculously blind positives...OK just MLG, and a few who are just jealous of anything other clubs do. I'd have liked a couple of signings other clubs have made but hyping up everton, palace, stoke etc before they've even managed to finish above us is mental.

Just stick with your opinion and see how it pans out come may FFS. We're not far off 6th but only what, 6 points ahead of Bournemouth? Could have a great season or a **** one yet.

And yes I'm aware this is exactly the sort of logic that makes Turkish pine for old times. Sorry.

Why though? You should be allowed to change your opinion before a set date.

Why though? You should be allowed to change your opinion before a set date.

Of course, but so many people are quick to voice their extreme views after every game, and are driven by an "I told you so" attitude, with this thread being used as the stick to beat the other viewpoint with.

Just read the original article again

what a load of horse-shyt. thought it at the time and nothing has come about to change my opinion

My personal favourites include,

Southampton are a club looking to be sustainable, and a consistent top-eight club

Its all to easy for Saints fans to forget about the embarrassment of talent already at the club

The article's fine.
:thumbup:

Except for being mostly wrong.
:thumbdown:

Are we reaping what we sowed from our summer business, or have the chickens come home to roost?

I can't remember which one it is but I wish we were Stoke I wish we were Palace I wish we were Watford I wish I wish.

I wish our fans realised how silly they look sometimes (or all the time) due to not looking at the bigger picture. So glad that the people that run the club have a long-term vision as opposed to some fans with extremely myopic views

I wish our fans realised how silly they look sometimes (or all the time) due to not looking at the bigger picture. So glad that the people that run the club have a long-term vision as opposed to some fans with extremely myopic views

While I agree to an extent - it's annoying that people go so over the top after a few poor results - the season isn't done yet, so your post is not a great deal better. I doubt very much that we'll be relegated now, but it's still entirely feasible we could drop to around 12th - 14th, which would be a disappointment given that we've hauled ourselves back into Europa contention. If that were to happen, I expect all those you've been quoting above would probably have a field day!

:thumbup:

:thumbdown:

So, no chance of another run of poor form?

Jolly good

Jolly good

I'm just delighted we have just scraped ahead of our "direct rivals" West Brom, Norwich and Bournemouth. But obviously that's our level these days so no doubt we will be back where we belong soon. We will never compete with the likes of Stoke again, that's for sure.

I'm just delighted we have just scraped ahead of our "direct rivals" West Brom, Norwich and Bournemouth. But obviously that's our level these days so no doubt we will be back where we belong soon. We will never compete with the likes of Stoke again, that's for sure.

In fairness I think batman wanted us to be like Everton and keep all our best players like they did with calamity Stones. If the club could just find that sort of backbone we might match them in the league.

f'sure dube

In fairness I think batman wanted us to be like Everton and keep all our best players like they did with calamity Stones. If the club could just find that sort of backbone we might match them in the league.

We're currently above them and finished about them last season. Thank god we aren't matching them then.

In fairness I think batman wanted us to be like Everton and keep all our best players like they did with calamity Stones.

Wanyama put in a transfer request in the summer like Stones did... Wanyama is still here.

Schneiderlin wanted to leave in 2014, we refused and he stayed for the season. Stones, Barkley and Lukaku won't stay at Everton long term either.

If the club could just find that sort of backbone we might match them in the league.

What are you talking about?

2014/15

- Saints 7th

- Everton 11th

2015/16

- Saints 7th

- Everton 11th

Wanyama put in a transfer request in the summer like Stones did... Wanyama is still here.

Schneiderlin wanted to leave in 2014, we refused and he stayed for the season. Stones, Barkley and Lukaku won't stay at Everton long term either.

What are you talking about?

2014/15

- Saints 7th

- Everton 11th

2015/16

- Saints 7th

- Everton 11th

That'll be a whoosh then.

While I agree to an extent - it's annoying that people go so over the top after a few poor results - the season isn't done yet, so your post is not a great deal better. I doubt very much that we'll be relegated now, but it's still entirely feasible we could drop to around 12th - 14th, which would be a disappointment given that we've hauled ourselves back into Europa contention. If that were to happen, I expect all those you've been quoting above would probably have a field day!

Jolly good

Never said anything about what will happen with our form just know our club is looking good for the long term. No matter what our form is.

• 3 months later...