Saints fans have no reason to envy transfer dealings of the likes of Palace and Stoke

Saint-Armstrong

Don't disagree with the sentiment of the article but one important thing to remember which isn't considered - we've just sold two of our first teamers (one of which is probably our best player) and lost another first choice central defender whilst Stoke and Palace haven't lost any first team player. So the concern from fans is that other teams are catching up and Saints have to work hard to stand still.

Of course, it'll happen to Stoke and Palace too if they have a season like we did but those teams will have a net spend this summer and Saints will do well if we spend what we earn (and even then, we seem to have a policy of having wages of new signings covered by transfer fees as well).

EDIT: Stoke lost N'Zonzi to be fair.

Don't disagree with the sentiment of the article but one important thing to remember which isn't considered - we've just sold two of our first teamers (one of which is probably our best player) and lost another first choice central defender whilst Stoke and Palace haven't lost any first team player. So the concern from fans is that other teams are catching up and Saints have to work hard to stand still.

Of course, it'll happen to Stoke and Palace too if they have a season like we did but those teams will have a net spend this summer and Saints will do well if we spend what we earn (and even then, we seem to have a policy of having wages of new signings covered by transfer fees as well).

Point taken! I just don't think we have anything to worry about (majorly) by the business they are doing.

They're trying to get to where we are in their own ways, but from everything going on this summer we look set to keep progressing.

*MLG alert* Stoke did lose Begovic and N'Zonzi

Point taken! I just don't think we have anything to worry about (majorly) by the business they are doing.

They're trying to get to where we are in their own ways, but from everything going on this summer we look set to keep progressing.

I agree. For what it is worth I can see a team going down with a record points total this season and the league being won by a team in the low 80's or so. Everything is getting very congested in the league!

Just a frustration-fuelled quasi-rant of a piece, if you get a chance to give it a read and some feedback... please do.

http://www.shoot.co.uk/why-saints-fans-shouldnt-be-envious-of-other-clubs/

Nicely written, but the only comment I'd make is that I wasn't sure about the focus just on Saints. You could have used other teams in our category like for instance Celtic, who seem to buy young, up and coming players (which they then sell to us!?).

Would be interesting to compare strategies for a group of teams like that vs the Stoke/Palace/etc. strategy of spending on older players.

Don't forget in the past Saints would have bought much older players and integrated them into the side, giving us some very enjoyable years. Ref; Alan Ball & Jimmy case etc.

Another angle, what happens if all clubs employed the same strategy of looking for hungry younger players with a view to improving them? Who then becomes the buyer for these players in years to come? Does the bottom fall out of the market for players over 28, for example? Many angles to look at. I'm almost looking at Redslo to make some blog on this ... ;)

But yes, nice writing.

Nicely written, but the only comment I'd make is that I wasn't sure about the focus just on Saints. You could have used other teams in our category like for instance Celtic, who seem to buy young, up and coming players (which they then sell to us!?).

Would be interesting to compare strategies for a group of teams like that vs the Stoke/Palace/etc. strategy of spending on older players.

Don't forget in the past Saints would have bought much older players and integrated them into the side, giving us some very enjoyable years. Ref; Alan Ball & Jimmy case etc.

Another angle, what happens if all clubs employed the same strategy of looking for hungry younger players with a view to improving them? Who then becomes the buyer for these players in years to come? Does the bottom fall out of the market for players over 28, for example? Many angles to look at. I'm almost looking at Redslo to make some blog on this ... ;)

But yes, nice writing.

Well, I'm the Saints writer so I have to keep it to Saints - plus, I could've gone on forever and I'd hit my word limit, but I take your point.

I've nothing against clubs who take that approach, but personally, I don't find much to envy about it and it doesn't make me pine for Saints to 'do something'. Whatever 'something' is.

It'd be interesting for Redslo to do a piece on that hypothesis, though!

Just a frustration-fuelled quasi-rant of a piece, if you get a chance to give it a read and some feedback... please do.

You write well. Good article. Not all fans think that way though. My first reaction when hearing of the majority of transfers these days, including our own, is .... "Who?"

Not just N'Zonzi... Begovic sold, Moses loan ended and Shawcross out injured needing back surgery. As for Palace, they may not have lost key players but they were below us in quality last season so had a lot to catch up even before we started signing players.

I think you have missed the point slightly. We aren't desperate for more signings for the sake of it. The club have sold key players and not replaced them which isn't good enough so far and needs to be addressed. I couldn't care less about other team's signings. If we spent the money we clearly have available then we will have done far better in the market. Every signing so far has been astute and a good buy... but we aren't finished and need to get a CB and CDM in ASAP... failure to do so would be a failure to realise the summer's potential and leave us weaker than last season in terms of first team 11... with more games to play. That is why people are raising these issues. And personally, it is better to draw attention to potential risks than to act like they don't exist and go on bline faith... Pompey had blind faith in their owners, lapped it all up like yes men and then realised far far too late that what they'd been happy with was actually not good enough. Different example all together ofc, but fact remains, if saints were overspending I'd be on here voicing it, and likewise, the current first 11 is too weak and needs to be strengthened. I do expect that to happen! But..... if not, then you can bet I'll be banging the "bad summer transfer policy" drum all season - along with a lot of the fan base ;)

I think you have missed the point slightly. We aren't desperate for more signings for the sake of it. The club have sold key players and not replaced them which isn't good enough so far and needs to be addressed. I couldn't care less about other team's signings. If we spent the money we clearly have available then we will have done far better in the market. Every signing so far has been astute and a good buy... but we aren't finished and need to get a CB and CDM in ASAP... failure to do so would be a failure to realise the summer's potential and leave us weaker than last season in terms of first team 11... with more games to play. That is why people are raising these issues. And personally, it is better to draw attention to potential risks than to act like they don't exist and go on bline faith... Pompey had blind faith in their owners, lapped it all up like yes men and then realised far far too late that what they'd been happy with was actually not good enough. Different example all together ofc, but fact remains, if saints were overspending I'd be on here voicing it, and likewise, the current first 11 is too weak and needs to be strengthened. I do expect that to happen! But..... if not, then you can bet I'll be banging the "bad summer transfer policy" drum all season - along with a lot of the fan base ;)

Really, who haven't we replaced?

We sold Clyne and bought Cédric, and sold Schneiderlin with Clasie here and Romeu arriving imminently. How have they not been replaced this summer?

Well, I'm the Saints writer so I have to keep it to Saints - plus, I could've gone on forever and I'd hit my word limit, but I take your point.

I've nothing against clubs who take that approach, but personally, I don't find much to envy about it and it doesn't make me pine for Saints to 'do something'. Whatever 'something' is.

It'd be interesting for Redslo to do a piece on that hypothesis, though!

Ah fair enough, sorry.

I agree with the general point about fans getting too green eyed about others signings. We seem to have gone about our business replacing the players we've lost. Soares-Clyne, Clasie-Morgan, Romeu-Cork, Caulker-Gardos, Stek-Forster, Hopefully Van Dijk-Toby. That leaves Juanmi/Martina as the additional depth that's been added. I don't have much complaints with our approach.

Though I think article is rather too dismissive of dealings of the likes of Palace and Swansea. Neither has had to lose anyone they don't want rid of this summer. Think all of Palace's signings are reasonable additions. Swansea's signings aren't as familiar names beyond Ayew but they've like us shown a history of decent acquisitions.

Good article S-A.

I love seeing who other teams sign & how they go about their business in regards to re-shaping squads etc.

It's always with the caveat that some of them are going to crash & burn though!

We're in a good place though & I like how we go about our business.

We sold Clyne and bought Cédric, and sold Schneiderlin with Clasie here and Romeu arriving imminently. How have they not been replaced this summer?

The gaping hole in your argument here is Caulker for Alderweireld, even if we ignore the "can't play two instead of Schneiderlin" problem and the lag between buying players and them becoming what we hope they can be. We got very lucky last season with the speed of integration even considering the detail we go to in recruitment sifting.

No envy at all from this Saints fan, at least not of Palace or Stoke. Other than wishing we had signed that Morgan Schneiderlin chappy, the only other signing I have seen so far that would have been good has been Wijnaldum. Shaqiri looks like a disaster of Osvaldo proportions, wouldn't want an arsehole like that anywhere near Saints, thank you.

The gaping hole in your argument here is Caulker for Alderweireld, even if we ignore the "can't play two instead of Schneiderlin" problem and the lag between buying players and them becoming what we hope they can be. We got very lucky last season with the speed of integration even considering the detail we go to in recruitment sifting.

I think it's apparent to anyone who has followed, that VVD will be arriving for Toby in the next couple of weeks. That's two players in for every one out.

The club know what they're doing. I don't buy the 'luck' argument when you considering the trajectory of the footballing side of the club since Reed's arrival.

I understand that not all teams gel quickly, but I don't think it's coincidence that it worked at Saints.

Read the article, not sure I agree with much of it.

Clearly a biased view, which doesn't read well.

couple of points:

1- it's very arrogant to quote Saints have "nothing to fear" of Palace. They are a good side, with good players and have strengthened over the summer. They knocked us out hte cup last year. They may not be be able to challenge for the CL but they have every chance doing well this year and beating us. Very silly comment.

2- Whilst it's agreeable that Shaqiri " is someone who failed to make the grade at two big-name clubs and has twice been moved on" - there's a lot more to it than that.

Firstly, as someone who watches German football quite intently, I wouldn't say he failed at Bayern. It got to a stage where he needed first team football and he wasn't going to get it a Bayern. No harm at all in being 4th choice wide player behind Robben, Ribery and Mueller. The move to Inter didn't work out for him, but not all players click at some clubs. He's a good player and, a bit like your assessment of Palace, shouldn't be dismissed lightly.

Secondly, you mock Stoke for signing someone who "failed to make the grade at two big-name clubs and has twice been moved on" yet Saints have just signed Romeu, a player who has also failed to make the grade at two big-name clubs and has now been moved on.

3- According to trusted sources there is no option to buy Caulker at the end of his loan deal. (

)

4 - You claim that Joselu (at Stoke) is "less prolific than Juanmi" yet if we compare the goal scoring records of them both, it's the other way around.

Last season Juanmi scored 8 goals in 38 games (1 goal every 4.75 games) and has a career record of 20 goals in 108 games (1 goal every 5.4 games)

Joselu scored 10 goals in 32 games (1 goal every 3.2 games) last season and has career figures of 76 goals in 208 games (1 goal every 2.73 games).

Joselu's career record is almost twice as good as Juanmi's.

In conclusion, I found the article amateurish. It's littered with mistakes and gives off the impression that "he plays for Saints so he must be better than anyone else". I appreciate it should be about Saints, but it seems more of a summary of the #Saintsfc timeline rather than a balanced view.

couple of points:

1- it's very arrogant to quote Saints have "nothing to fear" of Palace. They are a good side, with good players and have strengthened over the summer. They knocked us out hte cup last year. They may not be be able to challenge for the CL but they have every chance doing well this year and beating us. Very silly comment.

2- Whilst it's agreeable that Shaqiri " is someone who failed to make the grade at two big-name clubs and has twice been moved on" - there's a lot more to it than that.

Firstly, as someone who watches German football quite intently, I wouldn't say he failed at Bayern. It got to a stage where he needed first team football and he wasn't going to get it a Bayern. No harm at all in being 4th choice wide player behind Robben, Ribery and Mueller. The move to Inter didn't work out for him, but not all players click at some clubs. He's a good player and, a bit like your assessment of Palace, shouldn't be dismissed lightly.

Secondly, you mock Stoke for signing someone who "failed to make the grade at two big-name clubs and has twice been moved on" yet Saints have just signed Romeu, a player who has also failed to make the grade at two big-name clubs and has now been moved on.

3- According to trusted sources there is no option to buy Caulker at the end of his loan deal. (

)

4 - You claim that Joselu (at Stoke) is "less prolific than Juanmi" yet if we compare the goal scoring records of them both, it's the other way around.

Last season Juanmi scored 8 goals in 38 games (1 goal every 4.75 games) and has a career record of 20 goals in 108 games (1 goal every 5.4 games)

Joselu scored 10 goals in 32 games (1 goal every 3.2 games) last season and has career figures of 76 goals in 208 games (1 goal every 2.73 games).

In conclusion, I found the article amateurish. It's littered with mistakes and gives off the impression that "he plays for Saints so he must be better than anyone else". I appreciate it should be about Saints, but it seems more of a summary of the #Saintsfc timeline rather than a balanced view.

Your own description of Shaqiri reads exactly like a description of someone who has failed at two big name clubs.

He didn't fail, he did well at Bayern. He never got a chance due to the quality of the players ahead of him.

In that case I did well at Bayern Munich as well, I just didn't get a proper chance because all of their players were better than me.

couple of points:

)

1. Maybe so, but it's my opinion for a feature in the Saints section of the website. I'm told to state opinions and give a Saints slant. I think we're better than them and they won't threaten us particularly. I'm far more concerned by Swansea, Spurs and Liverpool.

2. There's no huge fanfare with Romeu - at the time of writing his signing was unknown - and it is my opinion that Shaqiri isn't actually that impressive. Again, we will see. I would say that he has failed at two big clubs, and the fact he was signed by Bayern for around €12m, sold to Inter for less and then only sold to Stoke for a profit because of PL money backs that up. I don't think he's had a big impact. He's had one impressive year at international level - 7 goals in 12 - which massively distorts his statistics. That year aside, he has 10 goals in 34 games for Switzerland. Still not a 'bad' record at all, just not exactly worthy of the fanfare.

My point wasn't Shaqiri's a crap player, but rather that the fact he's failed to make the grade at not one, but two, big clubs, means he isn't the world-beater some are portraying him as.

3. After a quick Google, you appear to be right. I was under the impression that he was, for some reason. My error - accepted.

4. Juanmi and Joselu both scored eight goals last season in their league campaigns. So not less prolific, but the same. I didn't have statistics for cup games but went with that. Admittedly not 'less prolific' but certainly no more. And three years older. My opinion was that there was nothing to envy there.

Finally, your assessment is fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is there is nothing to fear of Palace.

My opinion is that our business is more shrewd.

My opinion is that Shaqiri is not going to be the 'wow' talent at Stoke that a lot of people seem to be assuming he is.

It's just my take on things, at the end of the day. Just that it is your take that Shaqiri is not a flop twice over. :)

But thanks for the other feedback. Taken on board and granted, some of it is wrong, or needed rephrasing. But really, it's an opinion piece.

Thank you for reading it at the very least, because it means it gives me things to think about. I hope the fact I actually took the time out to write a considered response to your decent feedback isn't blurred by the above. I appreciate any feedback, when it's from someone who's taken some time out to write something worth reading.

(Maybe it's also a lesson for me to not rush my notes off at 2am/3am after working from 15:00-23:00 :uhoh:)

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

think its completely fair to say JoseLu is less prolific than JuanMi. Joselu scored 8/30 for Hannover 96 from an out and out striker position. Juan Mi scored 8/34 from a number 10 position.

His goals/games ratio is almost twice as good as Juanmi's. Therefore it's complete fair to say that Joselu is more prolific than Juanmi.

1. Maybe so, but it's my opinion for a feature in the Saints section of the website. I'm told to state opinions and give a Saints slant. I think we're better than them and they won't threaten us particularly. I'm far more concerned by Swansea, Spurs and Liverpool.

2. There's no huge fanfare with Romeu - at the time of writing his signing was unknown - and it is my opinion that Shaqiri isn't actually that impressive. Again, we will see. I would say that he has failed at two big clubs, and the fact he was signed by Bayern for around €12m, sold to Inter for less and then only sold to Stoke for a profit because of PL money backs that up. I don't think he's had a big impact. He's had one impressive year at international level - 7 goals in 12 - which massively distorts his statistics. That year aside, he has 10 goals in 34 games for Switzerland. Still not a 'bad' record at all, just not exactly worthy of the fanfare.

My point wasn't Shaqiri's a crap player, but rather that the fact he's failed to make the grade at not one, but two, big clubs, means he isn't the world-beater some are portraying him as.

3. After a quick Google, you appear to be right. I was under the impression that he was, for some reason. My error - accepted.

4. Juanmi and Joselu both scored eight goals last season in their league campaigns. So not less prolific, but the same. I didn't have statistics for cup games but went with that. Admittedly not 'less prolific' but certainly no more. And three years older. My opinion was that there was nothing to envy there.

Finally, your assessment is fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is there is nothing to fear of Palace.

My opinion is that our business is more shrewd.

My opinion is that Shaqiri is not going to be the 'wow' talent at Stoke that a lot of people seem to be assuming he is.

It's just my take on things, at the end of the day. Just that it is your take that Shaqiri is not a flop twice over. :)

But thanks for the other feedback. Taken on board and granted, some of it is wrong, or needed rephrasing. But really, it's an opinion piece.

Thank you for reading it at the very least, because it means it gives me things to think about. I hope the fact I actually took the time out to write a considered response to your decent feedback isn't blurred by the above. I appreciate any feedback, when it's from someone who's taken some time out to write something worth reading.

(Maybe it's also a lesson for me to not rush my notes off at 2am/3am after working from 15:00-23:00 :uhoh:)

That's fair enough that it's your opinion, although it does give off the impression that Saints have done it better because, well it's Saints. It's the same opinion which seems to be shared amongst our fan base when it comes to the England team. Player X should be starting because he plays for Saints. Not everything the club does makes them better than anyone else.

My opinion is that we'll do well in Europe, but it'll have an effect on our league form. We pretty much matched Spurs and Liverpool last season, but this year I think we'll be in a mini league with Swansea, Stoke, Everton, Palace and Newcastle.

I also think it's unfair to knock Palace for their transfer dealings, they've done well in recent years, most of their key players were picked up for less than what they are worth now (Puncheon, Speroni, Bolasie, Gayle etc). The latter they have received a bid of £8m for. Then you look at Zaha, they sold him to United for £10m and bough him back for £6m two years later. Effectively United paid £4m to have him on loan for 2 years. That's pretty good transfer dealings in my yes.

You seem pretty rattled by Stoke signing XS and was made clear on twitter beforehand. Was your MO to promoted Saints' transfer dealings? Or simply have a rant about other clubs signing players?

Perhaps, as you've said, you should sleep on the idea and then write in the morning. However I am aware of time restraints for articles. It may also be worth double-checking stats before making remarks, it reflects badly on the journalist.

Overall, interesting article and there are areas of agreement and I do appreciate your comments.

Good article, but do Saints fans really care about what other sides are up to ?

Although keeping an eye on other clubs in whatever division we are in, I trust Les etc to get what we need.

I personally think our transfer policy is great, building a back bone of guys in their early 20s who will increase in re-sale value should they choose to move on.

I remember the days when I used to come home to a copy of Shoot!, a bottle of panda pop and a packet of space invaders after tyro league games. If only id known back then rather than it being a magazine for kids to read about their favourite players it was a serious magazine where every sentence of every article needed to be disected and scrutinised for it's statistical accuracy it might have changed my view not just of soccerball but the entire planet.

I remember the days when I used to come home to a copy of Shoot!, a bottle of panda pop and a packet of space invaders after tyro league games. If only id known back then rather than it being a magazine for kids to read about their favourite players it was a serious magazine where every sentence of every article needed to be disected and scrutinised for it's statistical accuracy it might have changed my view not just of soccerball but the entire planet.

Kids are growing up faster now ... they're all Guardian readers at the age of 8.

Shoot isn't the Ritz of football magazines, however, when the "journalist" makes 3 glaring mistakes it should be bought up.

Shoot isn't the Ritz of football magazines, however, when the "journalist" makes 3 glaring mistakes it should be bought up.

Pedigree group can be contacted if anyone wants to buy it.

Personally speaking, Shoot! was not a patch on Charles Buchan's Football Monthly.

Edited by VectisSaint

Don't disagree with the sentiment of the article but one important thing to remember which isn't considered - we've just sold two of our first teamers (one of which is probably our best player) and lost another first choice central defender whilst Stoke and Palace haven't lost any first team player.

I think the mainpoint to note there is that ..even if they have retained most of their squads....neither team finished better than (our) 7th place last season:D

Stoke sign Kagawa

Christ alive, Stoke really have done good business

From another thread...

Stoke looking very strong as well.

Do they? Which of their 9 signings (I think it 9) makes them stronger than last year?

They could well be the best of the rest this season.

Sorry Armstrong, but I disagree that clasie is a like-for-like replacement for Morgan. He has no where near the defensive capabilities with respect to heading, tackling and interceptions... he is also on a different planet for stamina. What Clasie offers is a better attacking threat. You also sidestepped Tobies lack of replacement above! Also, as for your Romeu comment, no one knew about him at the time so my points were valid as far as i'm concerned.

I said (in bold, underlined and in italics) that I expect us to sign players - which we have with Romeu... But I also highlighted that the concern of saints fans (at the time of writing) was that Toby and Morgan had not been replaced? I don't understand what prompted you to take issue with that comment tbh? It was true at the time, and is still true about Toby.

With Romeu now joining, Morgan has been replaced with excellent depth in midfield and some quality in other ways. But there is still a Toby shaped hole in the back line and we have currently only have 1 of last season's back 6 available... Not ideal and a quality CB is still missing... I really don't get your disagreement with my highlighting these deficiencies whilst stating that I expect saints to sign players to cover them?

I thought the article was an interesting read, but like I said, I thought you had missed the target of saint's fans concerns. However highlighting any points of concern on this forum is akin to opening yourself up for total lambasting as above.

Sorry Armstrong, but I disagree that clasie is a like-for-like replacement for Morgan. He has no where near the defensive capabilities with respect to heading, tackling and interceptions... he is also on a different planet for stamina. What Clasie offers is a better attacking threat. You also sidestepped Tobies lack of replacement above! Also, as for your Romeu comment, no one knew about him at the time so my points were valid as far as i'm concerned.

I said (in bold, underlined and in italics) that I expect us to sign players - which we have with Romeu... But I also highlighted that the concern of saints fans (at the time of writing) was that Toby and Morgan had not been replaced? I don't understand what prompted you to take issue with that comment tbh? It was true at the time, and is still true about Toby.

With Romeu now joining, Morgan has been replaced with excellent depth in midfield and some quality in other ways. But there is still a Toby shaped hole in the back line and we have currently only have 1 of last season's back 6 available... Not ideal and a quality CB is still missing... I really don't get your disagreement with my highlighting these deficiencies whilst stating that I expect saints to sign players to cover them?

I thought the article was an interesting read, but like I said, I thought you had missed the target of saint's fans concerns. However highlighting any points of concern on this forum is akin to opening yourself up for total lambasting as above.

Not sure anyone is saying either are like for like replacements, I mean if there was a like for like replacement for Morgan out there, I imagine Utd would have already snapped him up. The best way we can evolve the Morgan position is use the money on a couple of players, different types - just to give us a bit more flexibility and depth. Romeu and Clasie are 2 different players, but will compliment each other well.

WRT to the OP

we have not improved a single position form last season. which is not a good sign.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33977457

I agree we've gone for padding the squad and investing in potential rather than overhauling the starting eleven, although I'm not sure that was needed. We've certainly improved our 'options'.

I take your point though. Cédric is the only (possible) upgrade. Stekelenburg > Forster, too, if you subscribe to the views of some on here.