Saints fans have no reason to envy transfer dealings of the likes of Palace and Stoke

Saint-Armstrong

"Saints have nothing to fear [Palace and Stoke]"

Awkward

Not at all mate. I was at the game yesterday and they were to evenly matched sides. The big difference was that they had eleven players who were at 100%,we had 2or 3 who were a bit below par. On another day it would probably have ended a draw. No shame in being on a par with Palace they are a good team.

Slightly off topic but I would like to say how good the stewards at Selhurst Park were, very helpful and ready to share a joke with the Saints fans

Not at all mate. I was at the game yesterday and they were to evenly matched sides. The big difference was that they had eleven players who were at 100%,we had 2or 3 who were a bit below par. On another day it would probably have ended a draw. No shame in being on a par with Palace they are a good team.

Slightly off topic but I would like to say how good the stewards at Selhurst Park were, very helpful and ready to share a joke with the Saints fans

Sorry can't say I agree at all. They were the better team and had much better chance on average.

A draw at Palace would have hardly been anything to be proud about and it's numbing to think we'd need 11 players on par to achieve that.

Any points that are achieved against premier league opposition are something to be proud of. and points gained against a team sitting in 6th position would be even more impressive.

We didnt get any but sometimes it just works that way.

My point was that the article, published before the season started, arrogantly shrugged off Palace and Stoke as not being rivals to Saints as we were doing the best thing in the transfer market by taking the cheap option.

I also reference the part of the article where the author states we got a better deal with Claise than Palace did with Cabaye.

The "awkward" part is that both Palace and Stoke have beaten us in the past few weeks and Cabaye scored the winner. I'd very much say they've both given us something to fear.

A draw at Palace would have hardly been anything to be proud about and it's numbing to think we'd need 11 players on par to achieve that.

If you think that is the case then case how arrogant have we become? Do you really believe that to win away at Palace we simply need to turn up? They are a very good side and have been for all of this calendar year. Pardew has done an incredible job and they've done very well in the transfer market. People accuse the big clubs of arrogance yet here we are claiming that we should be able to brush aside decent sides like palace without being at our best. Kind of sums up why so many are in meltdown at a few bad results that all clubs will have this season.

If you think that is the case then case how arrogant have we become? Do you really believe that to win away at Palace we simply need to turn up? They are a very good side and have been for all of this calendar year. Pardew has done an incredible job and they've done very well in the transfer market. People accuse the big clubs of arrogance yet here we are claiming that we should be able to brush aside decent sides like palace without being at our best. Kind of sums up why so many are in meltdown at a few bad results that all clubs will have this season.

At the moment you would have to say that Palace and Stoke are sides than us.

This :thumbup:

The sad fact is two seasons ago our squad was miles better than that of Palace or Stoke whereas this season our squad is probably worse than both.

In Puncheon, Zaha and Bolasie Palace have a great attacking 3 and a playmaker of real quality in Cabaye. Supporting them they have a solid squad of players and in a couple of other positions are probably better of than us as well - right back foe example with Ward.

Stoke have a great front three of Bojan, Shaqiri and Arnautovic - again supported by a solid squad of hard working players - and again with players like Eric Pieters at left back some real quality in there as well.

West Ham have also strengthened their squad with real quality in Zarate, Lanzini and Payet and also have a solid squad whilst Carl Jenkinson is a much better right back than anything we have.

All three have better squads - with more quality and strength in depth than us now.

And when you add last seasons top 6 (Arsenal, Cheslea, Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City, Spurs) and Everton without the distraction of the Europa League who all have better squad than us - and Leicester who are having one of those seasons -we will be lucky to finish 12th.

No one is suggesting that we just have to turn up, what is being suggested is that based on finishing 7th last season the hope was that we would continue our push, but we have not improved our squad successfully where as Palace and Stoke have and have subsequently become stronger than us.

Although it seems that keeping our better players is impossible, buying on the cheap and hoping that they will come good instantly is ludicrous, short sighted and frankly unambitious. I don't think Ronald's to blame but I wouldn't be surprised if he is very frustrated by the situation.

No shame in being on a par with Palace they are a good team.

Isnt that the point that the word 'awkward' was referring to. Palace and Stoke have improved from last season, probably due to their new signings so therefore the premise of the OP that the signings of Palace and Stoke are nothing to be feared is probably wrong, and added to that one of those signings just scored against us.

I don't think you read what I posted. I said a draw at Palace wouldn't have been anything to be proud about, not a win. Any point(s) away from home in the Premier League are valuable, I just don't like the idea that Southampton need all 11 players on par to achieve an away point at Crystal Palace. How the mighty have fallen in that case...

I don't think you read what I posted. I said a draw at Palace wouldn't have been anything to be proud about' date=' not a win. Any point(s) away from home in the Premier League are valuable, I just don't like the idea that Southampton need all 11 players on par to achieve an away point at Crystal Palace. How the mighty have fallen in that case...[/quote']

Palace are sixth in the table, level on points with Tottenham.

Palace are sixth in the table, level on points with Tottenham.

I think that's the point re this thread isn't it? Palace are 6th due to their style of play, players they've retained and players they've now added to their team. We were told in the summer that we had little to be concerned about because what other clubs were doing wasn't great and what we were doing was.

With a team that cost half ours as well. Not sure why our £60m team needed to be 'on it' to contain a £30m Palace team. I'm not being arrogant' date=' I'm just wondering how standards are so easily slipping. We should expect more.[/quote']

We do expect more, but you can't read too much into one game. Maybe the difference is the manager? ;)

I think that's the point re this thread isn't it? Palace are 6th due to their style of play, players they've retained and players they've now added to their team. We were told in the summer that we had little to be concerned about because what other clubs were doing wasn't great and what we were doing was.

'Players they've retained' may be the important bit. Every time there's a turnover of players the performances usually suffer.

No one is suggesting that we just have to turn up, what is being suggested is that based on finishing 7th last season the hope was that we would continue our push, but we have not improved our squad successfully where as Palace and Stoke have and have subsequently become stronger than us.

Although it seems that keeping our better players is impossible, buying on the cheap and hoping that they will come good instantly is ludicrous, short sighted and frankly unambitious. I don't think Ronald's to blame but I wouldn't be surprised if he is very frustrated by the situation.

Stoke have only broken through the £10m transfer mark twice, once with Crouchy and the other with Shaqiri. Arnautovic is turning into a very good player but they picked him up for £2m, so for every one of the players in that price band that comes good, there will be a dozen who fail miserably and every PL team has a clutch of those to parade around.

Palace have broken £10m once and that was to buy Cabaye. They got him because Pardew had a good relationship with him at Newcastle and charmed him with the attraction of putting him at the centre of the team so he can improve his chance of playing in the Euro's this summer. It seems to be working for them and good luck to them for that. They also paid £7m for Connor Wickham (yet to score a goal ).

Saints have broken that £10m barrier loads of times - Mane, Wanyama, Tadic, Lovren, Forster, Bertrand, Van Dijk, Long - all very good players who have made the team better and stronger. Therefore, we cannot be said to be buying on the cheap when compared to teams around us who are at our level.

I don't see Stoke or Palace as stronger than us. They are on good runs and we are not. That is the short term difference. If there is a difference, it's that both Stoke and Palace have complete faith in their manager (both of whom have good PL experience, btw) and have a long term vision based on minor improvements every year. There will come a time when they cannot progress, but until that time, then happy days.

We have risen swiftly which has served to elevate the expectations of the fans to unrealistic levels, with our players getting snapped up and one manager getting tempted away. Hence why there is a such a meltdown after a run of 3 losses out of 4 games! Ludicrous!

IMHO, the players are not crap, the manager hasn't "lost it" and the board are not greedy/inept/unwilling to spend. Some fans are though.

Stoke have only broken through the £10m transfer mark twice, once with Crouchy and the other with Shaqiri. Arnautovic is turning into a very good player but they picked him up for £2m, so for every one of the players in that price band that comes good, there will be a dozen who fail miserably and every PL team has a clutch of those to parade around.

Palace have broken £10m once and that was to buy Cabaye. They got him because Pardew had a good relationship with him at Newcastle and charmed him with the attraction of putting him at the centre of the team so he can improve his chance of playing in the Euro's this summer. It seems to be working for them and good luck to them for that. They also paid £7m for Connor Wickham (yet to score a goal ).

Saints have broken that £10m barrier loads of times - Mane, Wanyama, Tadic, Lovren, Forster, Bertrand, Van Dijk, Long - all very good players who have made the team better and stronger. Therefore, we cannot be said to be buying on the cheap when compared to teams around us who are at our level.

I don't see Stoke or Palace as stronger than us. They are on good runs and we are not. That is the short term difference. If there is a difference, it's that both Stoke and Palace have complete faith in their manager (both of whom have good PL experience, btw) and have a long term vision based on minor improvements every year. There will come a time when they cannot progress, but until that time, then happy days.

We have risen swiftly which has served to elevate the expectations of the fans to unrealistic levels, with our players getting snapped up and one manager getting tempted away. Hence why there is a such a meltdown after a run of 3 losses out of 4 games! Ludicrous!

IMHO, the players are not crap, the manager hasn't "lost it" and the board are not greedy/inept/unwilling to spend. Some fans are though.

why is it unexpected to actually retain some players? the numbers we have 'let go' is the last 18 months is a new high for any club in the top flight outside of a leeds scenario (even then, doubt they lost as many)

was it totally unrealistic to have kept lallana...maybe Shaw?

obviously, players come and go but the numbers we have experienced are vast

why is it unexpected to actually retain some players? the numbers we have 'let go' is the last 18 months is a new high for any club in the top flight outside of a leeds scenario (even then, doubt they lost as many)

was it totally unrealistic to have kept lallana...maybe Shaw?

obviously, players come and go but the numbers we have experienced are vast

There's no way we could have kept Shaw.

There there is no club ever, tonight anyway I can't think of one, that have ever toned it down and refused to sell a young defender, especially when the player is good. Is on the news a lot this kind of thing and clubs when they see the bill they will not be forsaken, right?

It's just how it is. Tone, so so much is about money now.

Not much has changed since we were run by that toff. Fee men, the agents, they run the show now and probably will for ever. Ton of examples of young players going and they will be forever to nearly be like that, you can't just buy players in Exchange and Mart. In ezy-peasy language it doesn't happen and it won't ever. Tonight that's my view and good. Is only an opinion don't read too much into it.

Edited by CB Fry

Isnt that the point that the word 'awkward' was referring to. Palace and Stoke have improved from last season, probably due to their new signings so therefore the premise of the OP that the signings of Palace and Stoke are nothing to be feared is probably wrong, and added to that one of those signings just scored against us.

Nail on the head. The arrogance and ignorance of some Saints fans is bemusing and somewhat comical at times.

• 4 weeks later...
Just read the original article again

what a load of horse-shyt. thought it at the time and nothing has come about to change my opinion

My personal favourites include,

Southampton are a club looking to be sustainable, and a consistent top-eight club

Its all to easy for Saints fans to forget about the embarrassment of talent already at the club

• 4 weeks later...

Thankfully the people in charge of the club don't panic, as I believed they wouldn't. I think the way we've managed both Cedric and Clasie this year has been good, they're slowly growing into this side and we look a lot better with them in it than we do without.

I know a lot of people see the name Shaqiri and get excited because he's a name, but if you actually speak to some Stoke fans they are actually pretty underwhelmed by him - bar 1 or 2 moments he's been pretty average and anonymous according to them.

But football is an incredibly transient sport, there will be ups and there will be downs. How clubs deal with the low moments will shape the future.

Soares looking good.

Double VD is class.

Romeu is very good: needs more games.

Claise is class, and will keep getting better.

Juanmi: jury's out. Hard to see where he fits.

Cuco is a squad filler: poor signing, but bit of a ledge for "that" goal.

With hindsight some great business.

The big question is what was going on in the camp early on and in the recent dip in form? The Europa experience - just wierd. The poor form: why? Or rather why are we so much better now?! Interesting and slightly confusing.

Soares looking good.

Double VD is class.

Romeu is very good: needs more games.

Claise is class, and will keep getting better.

Juanmi: jury's out. Hard to see where he fits.

Cuco is a squad filler: poor signing, but bit of a ledge for "that" goal.

With hindsight some great business.

The big question is what was going on in the camp early on and in the recent dip in form? The Europa experience - just wierd. The poor form: why? Or rather why are we so much better now?! Interesting and slightly confusing.

No Yoshida or Caulker on the pitch, going three/five at the back and the bigman back in goal seems to be a major factor. Even during the bad run we weren't playing that badly. The pattern was play some decent stuff not score, when we were on top, and then someone would gift a goal (or two) at the back. We seem to have stopped the gifts from the defence now we just need to score our chances......step in Mr Austin

Agreed, I thought it knocked everyone, including Koeman for a bit.

Think this must be the case; he was clearly well below par for a tliitle while after. Looked miserable (even ignoring his achilles).

I still find myself why we approached that away leg in the way we did though. Ah well. Can't change the past....

I've said for a long time that going out of the Europa so early really knocked the confidence out of the team. Looking a lot better now.

Don't doubt this but similarly you have to wonder how playing the group stages would have stretched the squad.

All hypothetical of course, it might have left us fairly fragile for league fixtures, but it could have been the making of say Reed or someone.

Think this must be the case; he was clearly well below par for a tliitle while after. Looked miserable (even ignoring his achilles).

I still find myself why we approached that away leg in the way we did though. Ah well. Can't change the past....

I'm not sure - our dip started in November against Stoke - up to then we had had dreadful spells in games, but equally also had good spells and managed to get wins or draws (e.g. Bournemouth). From then until Watford we were wasteful in front of goal and were playing like we had a broken spirit (even if at times we still played well), and Ronald's demeanour reflected his team. If it was Europa disappointed surely this would have kicked in earlier?

Last season I wasn't convinced on Forster (albeit he did come up with one or two 'Arsenal' type displays), but his return certainly seems to have galvanised the team defensively, whether because they have more confidence in him or because he has been organising them well.