Friendly against Ajax this Thursday.

Saint Martini

Looks like team was:

---------------------Gazarrniggarr--------------------------

Mugabi---------Martina-----Caulker--------------Debayo

-----------------Romeu-----Classie-----------------------

Gaston-----------------Juanmi---------------Rodriguez

-------------------------Seager-------------------------

And the pen was a good tackle by Martina. I found it judicious.

Indeed it was. No injudicious referees please.

Ok, that's probably asking too much.

Looks like team was:

---------------------Gazarrniggarr--------------------------

Mugabi---------Martina-----Caulker--------------Debayo

-----------------Romeu-----Classie-----------------------

Gaston-----------------Juanmi---------------Rodriguez

-------------------------Seager-------------------------

With the subs that came on:

McCarthy (for Mugabi)

Gape (for Clasie)

McQueen (for Gaston)

Sims (for Juanmi)

Hesketh (for Seager)

• 1 month later...

There was another friendly vs Ajax today @ Staplewood...

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20151117-report-southampton-4-0-ajax-2805289.aspx

Southampton (4-2-3-1): Paulo Gazzaniga; Yann Valery (Richard Bakary 46), Cuco Martina, Steven Caulker, Josh Debayo; Harrison Reed, Oriol Romeu; Armani Little (Dom Gape 69), Juanmi, Jake Hesketh; Ryan Seager.

There was another friendly vs Ajax today @ Staplewood...

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20151117-report-southampton-4-0-ajax-2805289.aspx

Southampton (4-2-3-1): Paulo Gazzaniga; Yann Valery (Richard Bakary 46), Cuco Martina, Steven Caulker, Josh Debayo; Harrison Reed, Oriol Romeu; Armani Little (Dom Gape 69), Juanmi, Jake Hesketh; Ryan Seager.

I don't really care that much, but still wondering what has become of Gaston. He seems to have vanished.

Shame no Jay Rod. Hope this "pain in his foot" isn't anything bad. He must be so frustrated at the moment.

I wonder if a journo will actually ask Koeman what the root cause of this "pain in the foot" actually is? Seems an obvious question to ask but everyone seems content with being told what the symptom of his injury is rather than the cause.

The cynic in me wonders if this is a bit of a cover up for him having had a relapse with his knee injury...

Edited by trousers

Looked very dominant. What sort of team did Ajax put out?

This was their team according to the website:

Opstelling Jong Ajax:

Groothuizen; Owusu (70. Bruijn), Lartey-Sanniez, Van Bruggen, Savastano (46. Mirani); El Mahdioui, Vissie, Dankerlui; Cerny (46. Muric), El Azzouzi, Acolatse.

I have no idea if any of them are first team squad members. You could list their first team squad and I wouldn't know any of them. Ajax are garbage these days.

I think Martina is also available. Curacao were knocked out of the WC and don't seem to have any fixtures this week.

Stek is also not on international duty AFAIK.

Stekelenburg was on the bench for the Wales game so he'd have been in Hanover.

Any team in the Premier League would win that league. It's garbage. They produce some fine players' date=' but the standard of that league is awful.[/quote']

They're still in the Europa League (though not doing very well), a win next week against Celtic could see them qualify for the knock-out stages. I seem to recall that we didn't make it into the group stages. I think your view of the quality of the Eredivisie league leaders (and probably 2nd place) is rather naive. I agree the league overall is low quality, and clearly far below the top few leagues in Europe but to class Ajax or PSV as garbage is a bit ridiculous.

You realise what you quoted was about the first Ajax friendly in Holland in the previous international break. IIRC he did subsequently get called up during that break after Krul was injured.

Evidently not, but yes he did. Also saved me watching the video and I now understand why some people were confused about where the friendly was. Who bumps this thread for a completely different game FFS!? :D

They're still in the Europa League (though not doing very well), a win next week against Celtic could see them qualify for the knock-out stages. I seem to recall that we didn't make it into the group stages. I think your view of the quality of the Eredivisie league leaders (and probably 2nd place) is rather naive. I agree the league overall is low quality, and clearly far below the top few leagues in Europe but to class Ajax or PSV as garbage is a bit ridiculous.

Well I'll put it this way then. I think if the current Ajax or PSV teams were in the Premier League then they would be relegation candidates. So on that basis I don't think they are very good - or rather, relative to the standard that Saints are, garbage. That is of course just my opinion.

Well I'll put it this way then. I think if the current Ajax or PSV teams were in the Premier League then they would be relegation candidates. So on that basis I don't think they are very good - or rather' date=' relative to the standard that Saints are, garbage. That is of course just my opinion.[/quote']

No they wouldn't :lol:

That league isn't very strong by any means but those two teams have European pedigree and there's no way in hell they are worse than teams like Villa, Sunderland, Bournemouth, Norwich, WBA etc etc.

Well I'll put it this way then. I think if the current Ajax or PSV teams were in the Premier League then they would be relegation candidates. So on that basis I don't think they are very good - or rather' date=' relative to the standard that Saints are, garbage. That is of course just my opinion.[/quote']

Your opinion is perfectly valid, but think that your original assessment of Ajax was ridiculously harsh, and belittles our achievements when we play against Dutch teams. You're probably right that they would be in amongst the relegation candidates, i.e. somewhat similar to Chelsea :)

This was their team according to the website:

Opstelling Jong Ajax:

Groothuizen; Owusu (70. Bruijn), Lartey-Sanniez, Van Bruggen, Savastano (46. Mirani); El Mahdioui, Vissie, Dankerlui; Cerny (46. Muric), El Azzouzi, Acolatse.

I have no idea if any of them are first team squad members. You could list their first team squad and I wouldn't know any of them. Ajax are garbage these days.

None of those are first team players. I don't even think any of those have ever played in the first team at all (but I could be wrong about that).