Terrorist Attacks - WARNING: CONTAINS DISTRESSING IMAGES

sadoldgit

Can't see batman saying that from that post. Whelk I'll give you- though I disagree with him.

I am not expecting a backlash but definitely have not observed any such thing. Or seen it reported anywhere.

Still stand by the view that people want to see one so assume there has been. Of course many are appalled and say so but nothing enough to refer to it as a backlash.

That would suggest something has changed in last few years.

Would like to see a fatwa put out on them for blasphemy.

I am not expecting a backlash but definitely have not observed any such thing. Or seen it reported anywhere.

Still stand by the view that people want to see one so assume there has been. Of course many are appalled and say so but nothing enough to refer to it as a backlash.

That would suggest something has changed in last few years.

Would like to see a fatwa put out on them for blasphemy.

not seen much of a backlash. Not much on the Guardian or Ch 4 news. They would be the places falling over themselves to highlight anything like that

Re #2999.

Try as I might (and I've read every post on here for my sins!) I just cannot see anyone on this thread arguing that either religious fundamentalism does not exist in the world, or that the threat of islamic terror can be discounted for some reason. Some of us may have sought to place the issue into some sort of perspective on occassion, but that of course is not the same thing as condoning violence. Clearly this thread would not even exist were islamic inspired terrorism not a very real problem today and I would hope that we are ALL appalled by terrorist crime. So the old adage about "pushing against a open door" does comes to mind here.

I also suppose that any of us could easily enough find a video on YouTube of religous fanatics spouting the kind of intolerant stuff you would expect them to. Fanatism is as old as time is it not? Indeed, it was not so very long ago that a certain leading UK Protestant (who many on here will remember) was stating that the Pope was the "Antichrist" in his opinion and he was bold enough in his bigotry to express that view in the European Parliment, rather than on a anonymous street corner somewhere. So, fun as going over the same points ad infinitum can be, this activity does not really further the debate meaningfully.

Where I would fundamentaly disagree with you is the conslusion you seem to have drawn that there is some widespread plot by Muslims in general to overthrow European cutlure (whatever that is) and impose a hard line version of Islam in its place. I say that because this British citizen just cannot reconcile that conspiracy theory with either the Muslims that he knows personally, or the evidence that clearly shows that British Muslims are no more prone to criminality than any other group in our society is. I don't expect you to agree, but I have stated this opinion to you on more than one occasion now and I cannot see how I can express myself any more clearly.

Furthermore, I don't believe that there is a single monolthic "Muslim Culture" anymore than there is a single Christian culture in the world. It seems to me that Muslim individuals are liable to be as different from each other as any other societital group you could mention are. For example, some British Muslim women choose to wear the Burka when outdoors, while others feel that the Hijab headscarf is quite enough to satisfy the modesty requirements of their faith. I have also observed that a increasing number feel that neither is really nessisary and dress in a similar manner to modern western women. It seems to me that thinking about large groups of Human Beings in way that stereotypes them as essentially "all the same" is indicative of sloppy mental thought processes, or even racism perhaps.

As for my attitude towards any conflict that might arise between the secular/liberal notion of "freedom of expression" and the old religious concept of "blasphemy", then here too I think I have already my viewpoint quite clear - i.e. in Europe at least the laws and customs of the existing Western style culture must prevail. Those fanatics who cannot accept that - men such as the Charlie Hedo attackers for instance - must be dealt with by the forces of law and order in the accepted manner.

Food for thought?

Police are investigating death threats made against human rights lawyer Aamer Anwar.

Mr Anwar, who lives in Glasgow, said he received the threats after calling for unity within Scotland's Muslim community.

"It is a terrifying and deeply lonely place to be when you say goodbye to your children and wonder if it is for the last time, but the death of Asad Shah should be a wake-up call to our community that we must not be silenced.

"Our so-called community leaders must do much more, they have avoided tackling hatred to preserve their status and that is deeply shameful and hypocritical."

The "battle" in the UK is as much within Islam as it is between Islam and the others.

not seen much of a backlash. Not much on the Guardian or Ch 4 news. They would be the places falling over themselves to highlight anything like that

More stereotypical guff. Anyway, you are too busy looking for the anti-Muslim post of the day.

Terrorism is an issue for all religions, ideologies and cultures. The criminal gangs and factions we chose to label terrorist know no religious, ideological or cultural boundaries. Every religion, ideology and culture has in the past 100 years spawned terroism, the labelling of one group or another based on the religion, ideology and culture from which it sprang is at best disenchanting. The use of religion, ideology and culture is a simple device to claim some form of legitimacy that is never real or endowed.

Terrorists rely on a wide range of societal conditions to have any effect the key ones being; accessibility, the oxygen of publicity, the fear in their own communities, and the lack of a united public opposition. They also revel in the badge of terrorism, we should deprive them of this and rebrand them simply as criminals, for that is all they are.

The first is mitigated by protecting key entry points, covert surveillance and public awareness and despite the awful acts that terrorist have perpetrated over the years it is in the largely effective. Accessibility is all to often confused with freedom of movement and migration, when these are in and of themselves an enduring and essential feature of human society.

The second is mitigated through international co-operation and national enforcement. In this area the mitigation is less effective. The world is awash with arms, and the means to produce arms, 99% of which have been legally produced. It is the secondary and subsequent markets where control is difficult if not impossible. The money that can be made by those of criminal intent and no morals is motivation enough. In the UK our strict firearms laws are excellently enforced and are a key pillar in the overall strategy, however we are in a small minority of states. Other weapons of choice of the terrorist are all outlawed or severely controlled in one way or another.

The third is a very difficult area, we all want to live in a free and open society. A key component of this is a free press. While there are mechanisms in nearly all countries to apply some control on news stories it is not possible in the modern interconnected world to conceal public criminal acts. What could help is more rigorous research and responsible reporting especially of the conditions, attitudes and behaviours of legitimate groups in society who are seen by some as the defenders of one criminal faction or another. Alienating these groups is counter productive and simply dishonest, unfortunately to often it is cheap journalism dressed up as serious investigation.

To appreciate the fourth one would have to live within a community that is terrified of these criminals. Indeed it is not only terrorists that lever control over communities based on fear, home-grown criminal networks use exactly the same tactics. The only answer is ever more effective policing and justice and effective protection of the communities from which these groups sprout.

Three and four above are the key to cracking the fifth problem. Much of the disunity across society stems from a lack of knowledge and understanding, and a failure or genuine inability to fully support the forces of law and order. Whilst the press continue to publish inaccurate, poorly researched and deliberately emotive articles there will always be factions in our society who choose to believe and champion their claims, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and somewhat ironically occasionally with violence.

The world will never rid itself of individuals and groups of individuals who wish to live outside the law. What we can do is to live, work and play together in such a way that those bent on evil intent are starved of the very things they need to grow and thrive and by this example ensure that the fewest possible people are drawn into their brutal and depraved webs.

There have been plenty of examples on here and there are plenty if you bother to google. Perhaps you have your mask on back to front?

links please of outrage show at these particular events that came about as a result of these events

cheers

why is there such haste to almost apologise for religious murder?

there is a problem within Islam right now. something they are divided by, it seems

I agree with that. Whilst I disagree with the idea that there has been no backlash (as there clearly has been one even though it definitely could have been bigger and more widespread) that does not mean that there isn't clearly a problem within Islam at the moment- a fact agreed with by many other Muslims and those within the government in Iraq amongst others. I'm not sure why it's controversial to point that out. Yes terrorism, is an issue within every religion etc but it's Islam that has the biggest problem with it in April 2016.

Edited by hypochondriac

I agree with that. Whilst I disagree with the idea that there has been no backlash (as there clearly has been one even though it definitely could have been bigger and more widespread) that does not mean that there isn't clearly a problem within Islam at the moment- a fact agreed with by many other Muslims and those within the government in Iraq amongst others. I'm not sure why it's controversial to point that out. Yes terrorism, is an issue within every religion etc but it's Islam that has the biggest problem with it in April 2016.

Agree totally. My piece was to reflect that there is no specific mitigation based on the fact that the current biggest threat has sprung from Islam. It was to consider that the history of terrorist organisations tells us that they are all susceptible to the same influences and counter influences and that, as some on here try to do, arguing that dealing with Islam will deal with the threat is not the answer when actually what we need to deal with the problem as united society whatever our religious, ideological or cultural values.

Uh, where do I apologise, quite the opposite.

Tbf when you say it's a problem for all religions it sounds like the standard response we have had on here thus far. When someone acknowledges that terrorism is a problem with all religions but that it is particularly problematic within Islam at the moment, they are leapt on by the usual suspects who say things that no one has denied like "you realise that Christian have committed terrorist acts in the past" or "there are loads of terrorists who aren't Muslim." it's undeniable that Islam has a problem with extremism currently that other religions do not have to the same extent in 2016. Apologies if that was not what you were saying but that's how it came across to me.

Agree totally. My piece was to reflect that there is no specific mitigation based on the fact that the current biggest threat has sprung from Islam. It was to consider that the history of terrorist organisations tells us that they are all susceptible to the same influences and counter influences and that, as some on here try to do, arguing that dealing with Islam will deal with the threat is not the answer when actually what we need to deal with the problem as united society whatever our religious, ideological or cultural values.

And now I see you have clarified your comments. I withdraw my previous post, I can see what you mean now and I mostly agree though I do believe there are regressive bits of Islam that I would also like to see dealt with (though that isn't terrorism related.)

Understood. However, completely seperate from terrorism, I find islam has a dark element to it in general too, one that is the greatest threat to peace and harmony in the west that we will experience for a generation.

I think it is a danger to us all.

Finding someone speaking out is not a backlash. Many Muslims condemn.

Oh really?

This post leaves me wondering what DOES actualy qualify as a sufficient backlash against terrorism. If words are not enough for some on here then perhaps bands of moderate muslims roaming the streets every night on the constant look out for extremists would convince?

:mcinnes:

Oh really?

This post leaves me wondering what DOES actualy qualify as a sufficient backlash against terrorism. If words are not enough for some on here then perhaps bands of moderate muslims roaming the streets every night on the constant look out for extremists would convince?

:mcinnes:

Told you before where's the fatwas.

Finding an article on the internet constitutes a backlash in your eyes then? I would actually struggle to think where I haven't seen a backlash about anything ever.

Finding an article on the internet constitutes a backlash in your eyes then? I would actually struggle to think where I haven't seen a backlash about anything ever.

as said, if there was anything of note in the UK, the Guardian, BBC and probably Channel 4 news would be all over it. it's their bag. hardly a peep really

Edited by Batman

Good point. Someone writes a book and there are fatwas flying all over the place as soneone insults the prophet. People murder innocent civilians (including muslims) in the name of islam and nothing, zilch, nada.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

Good point. Someone writes a book and there are fatwas flying all over the place. People murder innocent civilians (including muslims) and nothing, zilch, nada.

not even a book these days. A cartoon can do the trick

There already is one against joining ISIS. Not sure what your point is.

Edited by shurlock

Re #3003

I guess you're misunderstanding me or I didn't explain myself well enough. I'm not saying there is some widespread plot by muslims in general to overthrow European culture (indeed, what's that, would the EU have an idea?), it's just that religious leaders from the Middle East do want to expand the islam around the world just like the Vatican did in the past and probably are still doing. The tone of voice is a little different to say the least. And yes, the Saudi's are funding mosques all over the world and I'm not going to dump all kind of links here. You can find them for yourself, I won't bother you with it furthermore. Of course this doesn't mean that every muslim is part of some conspiracy theory, what are you thinking of me? :scared: Clearly I don't see a terrorist in every muslim around me, just like I don't see a pedophile in every catholic I meet. It would be a hell of a life if I did... :lol:

There are about 1 million muslims in Holland who originated from different parts of the world but mostly from Turkey and Morocco. Especially the latter form a subculture which is very difficult to penetrate for Dutch society as they form a very closed community not capable to integrate. Naturally that's not the case with each and everyone of this community and there are thousands and thousands of them who are succeeding in getting along just fine and contributing to Dutch society. One of them is called Aboutaleb who made it to mayor of Rotterdam and doing a fine job at it (in my opinion that is...). He's devout to his beliefs as a muslim and yet he's a mayor for everyone with a keen eye for the social problems in a difficult city like Rotterdam. I could nag here about the fact that even a successfull muslim like him can't accept that his daughters are having relationships wit infidels but that would be a bit daft as I wouldn't like to see my sons walking around with some burka girl either. No, Aboutaleb looks like a fair man to me and he knows the problems within the Moroccan community he belonged to. He literally said to them: "if you don't like it here then s*d off!" He also called upon muslims in Holland to express themselves on the massacra in Paris, to condemn it. Of course their was an immediate reaction from other leading muslims in Holland who said he was way off because the moderate muslim can't be blamed for the acts of terrorists... Of course they can't (duh..) but why is it so difficult for them to understand that it's necessary to distance themselves from the idiots? Why does it always have to be such an academic discussion instead of using their role model position to influence all their fellow muslims who are condoning the attacks in which very probably even other muslims are killed? I see the same kind of reactions on this forum: "yes the murders are awfull but don't forget that there are many other religions who also have their terrorist ways" or something like that. As if other people don't know that there are many other maniacs, how presumptuous! In Holland you can even hear people say: "you better not say that there is a problem with islamic culture, before you know they will be stigmatised like the Jews in the past and put in camps by people wearing brown shirts..." :mcinnes:

Yes, you've made clear that the forces of law and order must deal with people who break the law. But I believe that's not the solution as the idiots keep coming as long as we're not dealing with the real problem: too many people with an islamic background not integrating. It's more than 10 years ago now that the notorious film director Theo van Gogh was slaughtered on the streets of Amsterdam by a muslim lunatic. van Gogh was very outspoken and blunt on all kind of things including the islam. I didn't like the way he expressed himself but as a Dutchman I believe you can say anything you want (as long as it isn't an appeal for hate or violence) as it is the Dutch way. Not anymore, since the murder on van Gogh there's no one left who wants to make a joke on the islam in public as no one has a deathwish. So long freedom of speech... Oh yes, we have Geert Wilders, our notorious blonde politician who stands on trial at the moment for his disgusting remarks about Moroccans. He's becoming weirder and weirder but I guess that's logical as he goes from shelter to shelter each week, continuously surrounded by 6 bodyguards in order to hide from muslim fanatics. That reminds me, Wilders wasn't allowed to come to England by your government because of his remarks about islam. Why is it then that your government allows people like Haitham al-Haddad to stay in your country after his remarks that apostate muslims and adulterers should be sentenced to death? That's far more shocking than Wilders could even dream about... Instead of kicking al-Haddad out of the country they let him be the chairman of a group of advisors of islamic organisations in the UK, including the sharia council. The freedom of speech in the UK is only there for radical muslims? :D

"Nearly 70,000 Indian Muslim clerics have signed a fatwa against Isis and other terror groups saying they were "not Islamic organisations".

Around 1.5 million Muslims visiting a shrine dedicated to a Sufi Islamic saint near the city of Ajmer in north western state of Rajasthan during the Urs religious festival have signed a petition against terrorist attacks."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/70000-indian-muslim-clerics-issue-fatwa-against-isis-the-taliban-al-qaida-and-other-terror-groups-a6768191.html

"Militants of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and al-Qaeda were blasted by Saudi Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdul Aziz al-Sheikh on Tuesday as "enemy number one" of Islam.

"The ideas of extremism, radicalism and terrorism ... have nothing to do with Islam and (their proponents) are the enemy number one of Islam," the kingdom's top cleric said in a statement"

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2014/08/19/Saudi-mufti-ISIS-is-enemy-No-1-of-Islam-.html

Edited by badgerx16

"Nearly 70,000 Indian Muslim clerics have signed a fatwa against Isis and other terror groups saying they were "not Islamic organisations".

Around 1.5 million Muslims visiting a shrine dedicated to a Sufi Islamic saint near the city of Ajmer in north western state of Rajasthan during the Urs religious festival have signed a petition against terrorist attacks."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/70000-indian-muslim-clerics-issue-fatwa-against-isis-the-taliban-al-qaida-and-other-terror-groups-a6768191.html

"Militants of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and al-Qaeda were blasted by Saudi Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdul Aziz al-Sheikh on Tuesday as "enemy number one" of Islam.

"The ideas of extremism, radicalism and terrorism ... have nothing to do with Islam and (their proponents) are the enemy number one of Islam," the kingdom's top cleric said in a statement"

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2014/08/19/Saudi-mufti-ISIS-is-enemy-No-1-of-Islam-.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/17/saudi-clerics-fatwa-declares-terrorism-heinous-crime-sharia-law

Sorry whelk but youre wrong on this one. The links I've posted above are pretty conclusive. Numerous fatwas have been issued against isis.

And what do Fatwas mean? What impact do they have?

Hold on, I was responding to the question "where are the fatwas?" I wasn't debating their effectiveness, simply answering the question. Presumably whelk believes they mean something or he wouldn't have asked the question.

Hold on, I was responding to the question "where are the fatwas?" I wasn't debating their effectiveness, simply answering the question. Presumably whelk believes they mean something or he wouldn't have asked the question.
I know which question you were responding to, wasn't aware no further questions were allowed, apologies.

nothing really showing any real backlash in the UK. Which is what I am interested in myself.
339 arrests under anti-terrorism laws in UK in 2015 alone. Imagine if there hadn't been this clear backlash from the moderates what sort of amounts we'd be seeing?

I know which question you were responding to, wasn't aware no further questions were allowed, apologies.

Ah I see so the minute one question is answered, rather than accepting the answer you just ask another question. I presume the same thing will happen if someone successfully answers your next question. Not really a debate I'm interested in having.

See post #3035

"several leaders"

how many is that, 3, 6???

is that a 'backlash'?

no one marching through london in numbers in a very visible sign for their disgust against ISIS/Muslims from their own communities fighting for ISIS/radical mosques....

you could say that is not in their culture/nature....then you do see Muslims in large enough numbers all round the country if the EDL are on a protest.

so, where are they now?

Edited by Batman

"several leaders"

how many is that, 3, 6???

is that a 'backlash'?

no one marching through london in numbers in a very visible sign for their disgust against ISIS/Muslims from their own communities fighting for ISIS/radical mosques....

you could say that is not in their culture/nature....then you do see Muslims in large enough numbers all round the country if the EDL are on a protest.

so, where are they now?

Oh you mean like :

LONDON: Thousands of Muslims held a rally in London on Saturday in protest against extremism.

The event in Wembley arena was led by Mohammad Tahirul Qadri of Pakistan, who gained recognition outside the Muslim world after he published a detailed fatwa against terrorism and suicide bombings last year.

“I want to address those who are lost, who have a total misconception of jihad. I want to send them a message — come back to normal life. Whatever you’re doing is totally against Islam,” he told the audience, which included families with young children and students.

Some Islamic scholars, including Mr Qadri, have warned that a power vacuum in North Africa and the Middle East could lead to militant and extremist groups gaining ground in upcoming elections caused by the so-called Arab Spring.

“If these elements come into power, it will be a big disaster,” Mr Qadri said. He said his message is primarily aimed at people who are on the edge of being radicalised — not those who had already been “brainwashed”.

His organisation, Minhaj-ul-Quran International, said the event was attended by some 12,000 people and was broadcast to several countries.

Or:

Hundreds of Muslims marched through central London at the weekend to call forpeace*and unity.

Yet the organisers of the annual procession said not one single mainstream media outlet covered it because it was not "juicy" enough.

Men, women and children were pictured and filmed waving brightly coloured banners during the UK Arbaeen Procession on Sunday.

It is is organised every year by the Husaini Islamic Trust UK and according to their website is the ‘largest annually organised Islamic event in Europe’

some of that is 5 years old? come on

some of that is part of single voices on social media.

where are they in numbers stopping the traffic on the streets of the capital? Or any other major city in the UK? Plenty of voices, numbers and aggro when the EDL and what ever other scum are out....5 year old articles do not cut it I am afraid