Terrorist Attacks - WARNING: CONTAINS DISTRESSING IMAGES

sadoldgit

who said they dont?

just pointing out that from what I can see (and this is not an opinion) it is assessed that islamic nutters are more likely going to attack than an Irish one.

I know you dont like that. Just passing it on from my part of the world

Its not that I don't like it, it is just that I think it is very foolish to assume anything where terrorists are concerned. You might say an IRA attack on British mainland before another ISIS attack here is about as likely as Leicester winning the premiership. Get my drift? I would sincerely hope that those in the security side of the military give more thought to general terrorist threats than you do Batman.

Its not that I don't like it, it is just that I think it is very foolish to assume anything where terrorists are concerned. You might say an IRA attack on British mainland before another ISIS attack here is about as likely as Leicester winning the premiership. Get my drift? I would sincerely hope that those in the security side of the military give more thought to general terrorist threats than you do Batman.

So you're saying the security services should spend as much time planning for a situation with a 5000-1 likelihood as much as they do for a, say, 10-1 likelihood.

You think that is sensible?

who said they dont?

just pointing out that from what I can see (and this is not an opinion) it is assessed that islamic nutters are more likely going to attack than an Irish one.

I know you dont like that. Just passing it on from my part of the world

This from the MI5 website this morning -

Current threat from international terrorism in the UK - Severe (not it doesn't mention from Muslims specifically)

Current level for NI related terrorism - Severe

Current level for NI related terrorism in Britain - Substantial

Severe = attack highly likely

Substantial = attack is a strong possibility

These were first published in 2006 in which time the international threat has varied between Critical, Severe and Substantial.

The NI threats have been published since 2010 and changed from moderate to substantial in Britain in August 2014.

Given that no one knows exactly what anyone is going to do where and at any given time, the threats of severe and substantial are not hugely different. Highly likely/strong possibility.

You might want to hide from those pesky Muslims, but if I were you I would also keep on ear out for an Irish accent too Batman. I know that is a bit tricky when you are all cooped up in a sub though ;)

This from the MI5 website this morning -

Current threat from international terrorism in the UK - Severe (not it doesn't mention from Muslims specifically)

Current level for NI related terrorism - Severe

Current level for NI related terrorism in Britain - Substantial

Severe = attack highly likely

Substantial = attack is a strong possibility

These were first published in 2006 in which time the international threat has varied between Critical, Severe and Substantial.

The NI threats have been published since 2010 and changed from moderate to substantial in Britain in August 2014.

Given that no one knows exactly what anyone is going to do where and at any given time, the threats of severe and substantial are not hugely different. Highly likely/strong possibility.

You might want to hide from those pesky Muslims, but if I were you I would also keep on ear out for an Irish accent too Batman. I know that is a bit tricky when you are all cooped up in a sub though ;)

See no break through in your understanding over the last few months.

So you're saying the security services should spend as much time planning for a situation with a 5000-1 likelihood as much as they do for a, say, 10-1 likelihood.

You think that is sensible?

Should the security forces not plan for all events? I watched Bloomberg some time ago and there was a man on there talking about somebody taking out the US electricity grid. He said they have little or no plan for that and was calling the people in power to sort it out as no electricity could mean chaos

Should the security forces not plan for all events? I watched Bloomberg some time ago and there was a man on there talking about somebody taking out the US electricity grid. He said they have little or no plan for that and was calling the people in power to sort it out as no electricity could mean chaos

Last I heard there was no contingency plan in place to combat an angry frenchman flying over from Calais in a hot air balloon. I was outraged.

Quite clearly the sensible thing to do is to devote an amount of training to a threat proportional to how likely it is to happen. It would be impossible to train for every single conceivable act of Terror and a waste of resources.

Last I heard there was no contingency plan in place to combat an angry frenchman flying over from Calais in a hot air balloon. I was outraged.

Quite clearly the sensible thing to do is to devote an amount of training to a threat proportional to how likely it is to happen. It would be impossible to train for every single conceivable act of Terror and a waste of resources.

Yep a man in a balloon would bring society to a standstill, wheras we all could live without electricy. The American said that they could bring the grid system down for 3 months.

Yep a man in a balloon would bring society to a standstill, wheras we all could live without electricy. The American said that they could bring the grid system down for 3 months.

I wasn't comparing the act of terrorism. I was inventing a fictional act of terror to highlight how absurd it would be to attempt to prepare for every single terrorist event no matter how unlikely it would be.

I live not far away from a nuclear power station. I am sure security is tight there but you can get very close to it and I am sure it wouldnt take too much to do it some serious damage. If migrants can find there way into the channel tunnel it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility to plant a bomb in there. A few well placed bombs around the M25 would cause havoc in the SE. There are many ways in which terrorists could cause mayhem but at present they just seem intent on soft targets ... us.

I wasn't comparing the act of terrorism. I was inventing a fictional act of terror to highlight how absurd it would be to attempt to prepare for every single terrorist event no matter how unlikely it would be.
Fair comment, and of course you cant do every scenario but a 5000-1 chance is low enough to make plans for.

It is concerning that the guy in the US has been asking the questions and the answer was, there is a file on a shelf somewhere! I dont know his name but he has written a book warning of this issue.

I live not far away from a nuclear power station. I am sure security is tight there but you can get very close to it and I am sure it wouldnt take too much to do it some serious damage. If migrants can find there way into the channel tunnel it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility to plant a bomb in there. A few well placed bombs around the M25 would cause havoc in the SE. There are many ways in which terrorists could cause mayhem but at present they just seem intent on soft targets ... us.

I'm not sure what point you are getting at here other than staying the obvious again

I'm not sure what point you are getting at here other than staying the obvious again

I am not sure why you are having a dig again. Really, what is the point? If you don't like my posts just don't bother to read them. I am not sure what "staying the obvious" means?

Just to help you along again I was following up on what another poster said earlier about terrorists targeting economic targets rather than soft (human) targets. Get it yet?

Don't really know what this means?

Is one terrorist more dangerous than another?

And another banal question. You seem quite delighted to be able to highlight others factions in your terrorist wars. Almost quite excited that you can now worry about Catholics

And another banal question. You seem quite delighted to be able to highlight others factions in your terrorist wars. Almost quite excited that you can now worry about Catholics

Of course it was a banal question. It was in response to a banal point. Trust me, I am not in the least excited about worrying about any type of terrorist. Why would I be? Why would anyone be? Terrorism in any shape or form is abhorrent surely? So I am not sure what the problem here is. Unless of course you are happier to be blown up by an Irish nationalist rather than a Muslim?

Batman would have it that we are at little risk from terrorists in/from NI. MI5 do not seem to agree. I (and another poster who you seem to ignore) made that point. I was not excited about it, in fact if anything it makes me very sad that there are still these issues in NI after all these years. At the same time it seems a bit naïve to think that if only we could deal with these pesky militant Muslims we could all sleep safely in our beds.

Of course it was a banal question. It was in response to a banal point. Trust me, I am not in the least excited about worrying about any type of terrorist. Why would I be? Why would anyone be? Terrorism in any shape or form is abhorrent surely? So I am not sure what the problem here is. Unless of course you are happier to be blown up by an Irish nationalist rather than a Muslim?

Batman would have it that we are at little risk from terrorists in/from NI. MI5 do not seem to agree. I (and another poster who you seem to ignore) made that point. I was not excited about it, in fact if anything it makes me very sad that there are still these issues in NI after all these years. At the same time it seems a bit naïve to think that if only we could deal with these pesky militant Muslims we could all sleep safely in our beds.

where the hell have I said that?

why are you making stuff up?

You seem to have taken over from Batman as our Bad Muslim reporter. Well done. Just to show again that it isn't just Muslims that have issues with women here you go...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-36404325

Did you or did you not say that we were at little risk from the "loons" as you call them in NI?

Perhaps you need to have a word with your pals in MI5, Caped Crusader.

brilliant.

no where does it say there is 'little risk'

well done

the threat from islamic terrorist remains more likely than Irish loons at the mo. From where I sit anyway

so, why did you just make it up?

And who is the poster I have ignored? Believe it or not some of us don't have a forensic approach to analysing posts.

You seem to have taken over from Batman as our Bad Muslim reporter. Well done. Just to show again that it isn't just Muslims that have issues with women here you go...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-36404325

Have I? Obviously any abhorrent religious attack on Christians will be dismissed straightaway by you cos hey not all Muslims do this and Islam is no threat to anyone anywhere is it. That poor lady just needs to suck it up and see good in people and become enlightened like yourself

Have I? Obviously any abhorrent religious attack on Christians will be dismissed straightaway by you cos hey not all Muslims do this and Islam is no threat to anyone anywhere is it. That poor lady just needs to suck it up and see good in people and become enlightened like yourself

Surely any attack like this is abhorrent, or is it only those that take place on Christians or by Muslims we need to worry about? These things happen all the time as you well know, and are not just perpetrated by Muslims. I am not dismissing anything. I have said plenty of times that any of these acts are abhorrent, however caries them out. I just wonder why you ignored this attack in Brazil when it was reported yesterday but jump straight on the Muslim news?

Surely any attack like this is abhorrent, or is it only those that take place on Christians or by Muslims we need to worry about? These things happen all the time as you well know, and are not just perpetrated by Muslims. I am not dismissing anything. I have said plenty of times that any of these acts are abhorrent, however caries them out. I just wonder why you ignored this attack in Brazil when it was reported yesterday but jump straight on the Muslim news?

I'm starting to think your account is the most elaborate parody troll wind up the Internet has ever known.

Or, you're a dribbling imbecile.

brilliant.

no where does it say there is 'little risk'

well done

so, why did you just make it up?

Calm down dear, it is only a football internet forum. So you are worried about an IRA attack on mainland Britain too? Well done. You are right to be as the word from "your part of the world" is that a threat is "substantial."

Edited by sadoldgit

What was relevance of Brazil rape?

Calm down dear, it is only a football internet forum. So you are worried about an IRA attack on mainland Britain too? Well done. You are right to be as the word from "your part of the world" is that a threat is "substantial."

So, you made it up

Cheers

Edited by Batman

Did you or did you not say that we were at little risk from the "loons" as you call them in NI?

:lol: So he never said that did he. You aren't inventing things people have said and reading what you want to read rather than what has actually been written again are you?

Good, so you are just as worried about being killed by other terrorists too. Good boy.

No he said the threat from Islamic terrorism is greater at the present time. Seriously you seem to be the only one who has trouble with understanding things. It really isn't that difficult.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh dear. Looks like there has been more Islamic extremists at work in America. They really need to get some proper gun controls or this sort of thing will keep happening.

You mean gun control like they have in France?

You mean gun control like they have in France?

I wasn't comparing it to France. It's a fact that America has a ridiculously high number of these types of incidents and that is because it is so easy to get a gun. If guns were much better regulated in America then you would still get incidents like Paris but it would clearly be much rarer.

Oh dear. Looks like there has been more Islamic extremists at work in America. They really need to get some proper gun controls or this sort of thing will keep happening.

Not sure of the "Islamic extremist" tag, more a psychotic sociopathic nut with a history of unprovoked violence.

Not sure of the "Islamic extremist" tag, more a psychotic sociopathic nut with a history of unprovoked violence.

To be an islamist, being psychotic, sociopathic, history of unprovoked violence etc are just standard traits. Anyway, he pledged his allegiance to islamic state, to the police.

His ex wife is now suggesting that he is in fact a gentleman gay islamic extremist.

These people live among us, stay vigilant people and take care.

In that case do Islamic extremists exist? Or is every attack carried out in the name of Islam nothing to do with Islam itself?

Of course they exist, as do Christian extremists, Hindu extremists, and there are probably psychos waiting in the wings who are afiliated to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. However I think the Orlando nutter was just that, a nutter, who also happened to be of Islamic extraction. He was such a devout adherent to IS' philosophy that he, apparently, frequented this particular gay bar, met men on gay dating sites, and was often drunk.

Of course they exist, as do Christian extremists, Hindu extremists, and there are probably psychos waiting in the wings who are afiliated to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. However I think the Orlando nutter was just that, a nutter, who also happened to be of Islamic extraction. He was such a devout adherent to IS' philosophy that he, apparently, frequented this particular gay bar, met men on gay dating sites, and was often drunk.

Being hypocritical does not mean he is not an Islamic extremist. All of them tend to not practice what they preach. Of course all these other extremists exist, but it is Islamic extremism that is currently in the process of terrorising many countries around the world.