Terrorist Attacks - WARNING: CONTAINS DISTRESSING IMAGES

sadoldgit

That will be very interesting indeed, if the Swedish authorities allow it... :p

I've got mixed feelings though. I believe it's necessary to confront the muslim communities in Europe with their backward ideas which do not belong in our societies (same goes for some old christian communities of course...) in order to get some progress in their integration process. On the other hand it's worrying to see so many right extremists in Europe who believe it's time to "stand up against those who don't belong in their country" and like a French security official said earlier this year: "a couple of muslim attacks will set things on fire" and who knows what will happen then... Sweden is just like France becoming a boiling pot, muslims attacking a gay parade might unleash a backlash everyone is going to regret. There should be a better way to deal with the problems with muslims...

The dangers of a anti-Muslim backlash here in Europe are very real I think in this fevered situation - and that is just what the extremists are banking on of course. Indeed, the bigotry I see the usual suspects on here expressing is a painful reminder to me of my own anti-Irish reaction to the IRA terrorism of my youth. That emotion was one of those 'childish things' I managed to put away long ago thankfully.

It goes without saying I hope that we all on here condemn terrorism, but I don't really know what 'confronting backward Muslim ideas' really means in practice. France for example has banned Muslim women from wearing the Burqa that some (but not all) Muslims feel their religion requires. Would you say that move has helped make France safer place or a more insecure one? How can a nation state that likes to take pride in its timeless values of Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité also employ the full weight of the law to instruct its citizens on what clothes they are allowed to wear?

There is a fine line to walk between upholding our modern (and often secular) western values and religious/racial oppression - nations that transgress too far over that 'fine line' risk making what is a bad situation even worse I think.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

You consider wearing a burqa a backward muslim idea? I was rather thinking about things like honor killings (shelters for women in Holland are mainly occupied by (ex-)muslima's), the way they treat apostates (many times their lives are in danger), the fact that there are many marriages between cousins and the inbreeding leads to, well let's be careful here, could lead to children with a variety of problems (cystic fibrosis) as we can see in our psychiatric care in the big cities which, again, is mainly occupied by people with a muslim background. I could go on about the way gay people are bullied or beaten up and the fact there are a lot of idiots who want the sharia laws in Holland. There's even a political muslim party called "Think!" in Holland who has a couple of seats in our House of Commons who put muslim politicians from other parties under pressure by filming them to show they do not stand for the faith...

So there are much bigger issues than wearing a burqa but if you want my opinion: it's a good thing a burqa is also prohibited in Holland as it is not possible to take part in our society when people can't even see your face. You're excluding yourself from job opportunities while the taxpayer is paying for your unemployment benefit, the authorities can't see who they're dealing with and yes, there's also a safety issue. The French have gone even further by prohibiting scarves at schools for example. Mind you, this also applies for other religions. They do like their Montesquieu as do I, it's a good thing to keep religions as far as possible from any political power as possible. Surely someone intelligent like you can only agree with that... ;)

Well Britain has over its long history aquired its own sense of what the concepts 'liberty' and 'freedom' mean that seems quite distinctive from much of the European tradition.

Okay I agree this is a secondary issue, but I hope that I speak for the majority over here in saying that the notion that the state should be in the business of legistrating what clothes people are allowed wear is utterly abhorant and against more or less everything this nation stands for. Frankly, I'm more than a little surprised to read that the (seemingly sensible) Netherlands has joined authoritarian France in the folly of banning certain items of traditional Muslim dress - I can't imagine such a move even being seriously contemplated by our Parliment. Again, discrimitory laws of this type are highly damaging to race relations in what are - and will remain - multi-culteral societies. By the way, the British people are equally reluctant to accept the Indenity Cards that so many Europeans are obliged to carry by law - for much the same reasons.

As for your view that religion should be excluded from political power, here too Britain has developed its own approach to the subject over time. To this day the Church of England retains a historical (but now quite small) degree of influence in our unelected revising chamber - The House of Lords. The Queen as Head of State is also the titular head of that church. Furthermore, Prince Charles has let it be known that when (in the fullness of time) he takes the crown he intends to act in the capacity of "Defender of Faith". That means ALL faiths not just the established Church of England.

All the above may seem strange or even outdated when viewed from the other side of the English Channel I suspose - but I for one wouldn't have it any other way.

There are differences between all European countries, that's why a European superstate will never work. The ban on burqa's in the Netherlands isn't the same as in France or Spain where they are totally prohibited. As usual the Dutch try to be pragmatic: not in public spaces or public transport, government buidlings, schools and care. Anyway, it's not a problem at all as there are nearly no women who would like to wear this terrible fashion statement. 'Much ado about nothing' or something like that?

However, I find it peculiar that British people would make a point of it. Do you believe they would also think it is ok for every male to wear a balaclava all the time?

Edited by van Hanegem

See there was a loony swinging an axe around on a train in Germany.

I wonder which God he was shouting about when trying to murder people?

Not even news worthy on here it seems.

Just another day in continental Europe

Edited by Batman

Seems he was an " unaccompanied minor" refugee, you know the ones lefties are telling us we should take more of . Weren't Geldof & Yvette Cooper promising to put some up ?

'Allah' is merely the Arabic word for 'God' and was used long before Islam even existed as a religion.

Anyway,

Daesh will probably claim it, but then again they'll claim anything that appeals to them.

It's the failure to remove Daesh from social media, and letting them build their terrorism 'brand' online that has been on of the biggest mistakes in the last few years.

The attacker was a brainwashed 17 year old Afghan refugee who's most probably seen death and destruction all his life and barely existed on this earth when 9/11 happened.

When you combine the above with an apocolyptic death cult then the result is this.

There was an interesting interview on the BBC yesterday. Three French social workers in Nice were talking about how IS have professional recruitment teams. IS know which people are susceptible to their approaches and how to couch their approach so that they can make the target rationalise what they want him to do. Its a battle between the state and IS for vulnerable people's minds peoples. Most of them have never read the Koran. Two weeks before he killed over 80 people the Nice killer was a drinker and drug user. 14 days from being a violent dropout to being a terrorist.

Well Britain has over its long history aquired its own sense of what the concepts 'liberty' and 'freedom' mean that seems quite distinctive from much of the European tradition.

A lecture on how Britain is different and superior to Europe. Proper UKIP you are at heart :lol:

Just a regular thing in Europe now, not even that big news or a surprise to anyone, just yet another Islamic loon causing terror.

A quote from the Prime Minister of France:

There will be other attacks and there will be other innocent people killed. We must not become accustomed, we must never become accustomed, to the horror, but we must learn to live with this menace.

Wow. I'm not sure I would be happy if our PM said that. Maybe indicative of why there is such a problem in France.

A quote from the Prime Minister of France:

Wow. I'm not sure I would be happy if our PM said that. Maybe indicative of why there is such a problem in France.

Don't know if lost in translation but menace seems a little light. These pesky terrorists

Don't know if lost in translation but menace seems a little light. These pesky terrorists

Probably lost in translation - the word menace in French means threat in English. Someone has translated it literally which is wrong.

Time for kipperderry et al to write RAGING BTL comments under this article in The Independent, mysteriously entitled 'Why it's time the accept the fact that Brexit may never happen.'

They've had practice here (and failed) but might want to tackle a familiar problem:

The EU will not give the UK a deal in which Britain gets access to the single market but opts out of the "freedom of movement" requirement that lets EU migrants into the country. In fact, the EU cannot give this deal to the UK because it would represent an existential threat to the EU itself: If one country gets access to the single market while controlling its own immigration borders, then every country in the EU will want to do the same.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/why-its-time-to-accept-the-fact-that-brexit-may-never-actually-happen-a7148816.html

you assumed it would be a Muslim there

No, I correctly deduced that your inclusion of "God is great", and following in your established pattern of posting with the tag line "Just another day in Western Europe", that you had assumed a muslim connection.

Just another day in Western Europe

Mass murder in Munich

Merkel probably invited this lot over. They were probably welcomed by local Germans at the Munich train station a year ago (or when ever it was)

God is great and all that

keep-calm-and-remember-it-s-nothing-to-do-with-islam.png

Edited by Batman

Oh

reports of a 2nd shooting in Munich at a different location.

more gunmen thought to be out on the streets.

Just like a sat night in Maidstone or something

probably punishing Germany for their foreign policy in the middle east........ :|

a few cuddles, a bit of singing, light up the London Eye with the german flag and some ##### on social media. That will sort it

You were in the Gulf war weren't you? Very proud of bombing the **** out of them. How come someone who has done more to bring about IS than anyone else on the thread now witters on endlessly about how someone else is to blame?

You were in the Gulf war weren't you? How come someone who has done more to bring about IS than anyone else on the thread now witters on endlessly about how someone else is to blame?

brilliant post mate. best yet.

what are you saying, Germany is to blame here?

No. Im saying the people who killed 300,000 civilians on the pretext of weapons that didnt exist are mostly to blame.

how come these mass murders took place before 2003?

they are happening in Europe now as they are being driven from the middle east (where they have always been) and for some utterly insane reason, Merkel told anyone who wanted to, could come to Europe. We even gave them a lift across the med. Some of the stories I could tell you about that...well, you would dismiss them out of hand as they DO NOT follow the poor refugee narative

1.8m people have come into Europe in the last year or so and how many have been ID'd or checked? not a single person.

throw in Europe's bizarre liberal stance and free movement of people at all costs. It is killing their own citizens. ISIS or who ever they are even told us all it was going to happen.

History will make the EU look utterly weird on this matter. Free movement of people no matter what is the biggest cause of death here. Seeing as it is not the fault of the murders or their utterly mental, warped religion. Apparently

stuff like this will help bring Trump to power. He wants to kick out anyone who is a loon and stuff like this will strengthen his hand. Whilst in Europe we sit around waiting to be murdered

instead of your self loathing of the west, why dont you call it as it is. A bunch of barbaric islamic nutters who burn people is cages, throw gays off buildings and behead kids...and the EU (well, Merkel) invited them all over

Edited by Batman

how come these mass murders took place before 2003?

they are happening in Europe now as they are being driven from the middle east (where they have always been) and for some utterly insane reason, Merkel told anyone who wanted to, could come to Europe. We even gave them a lift across the med. Some of the stories I could tell you about that...well, you would dismiss them out of hand as they DO NOT follow the poor refugee narative

1.8m people have come into Europe in the last year or so and how many have been ID'd or checked? not a single person.

throw in Europe's bizarre liberal stance and free movement of people at all costs. It is killing their own citizens. ISIS or who ever they are even told us all it was going to happen.

History will make the EU look utterly weird on this matter. Free movement of people no matter what is the biggest cause of death here. Seeing as it is not the fault of the murders or their utterly mental, warped religion.

stuff like this will help bring Trump to power. He wants to kick out anyone who is a loon and stuff like this will strengthen his hand. Whilst in Europe we sit around waiting to be murdered

Hard to know whether you believe the carp you write.

People have been pouring into Europe because we destroyed the governments of three countries and turned them into hopeless hellholes where two things happened. 1. The citizens wanted to get out 2. The law enforcement agencies are gone so people smugglers can operate with impunity from Libya and Syria, shipping people to Europe from across Africa and Asia. There is no security service to stop anybody who wants to load 500 people onto a derelict boat fit for 100. Once they are at sea we can pick them up or watch them drown.

You helped create not only the climate for IS, but also the route by which they can get here. Congrats.

Edited by buctootim

You were in the Gulf war weren't you? Very proud of bombing the **** out of them. How come someone who has done more to bring about IS than anyone else on the thread now witters on endlessly about how someone else is to blame?

You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

Hard to know whether you believe the carp you write.

People have been pouring into Europe because we destroyed the governments of three countries and turned them into hopeless hellholes where two things happened. 1. The citizens wanted to get out 2. The law enforcement agencies are gone so people smugglers can operate with impunity from Libya and Syria, shipping people to Europe from across Africa and Asia. There is no security service to stop anybody who wants to load 500 people onto a derelict boat fit for 100. Once they are at sea we can pick them up or watch them drown.

You helped create not only the climate for IS, but also the route by which they can get here. Congrats.

all of which happened before Germany/EU invited them to come, let them in and wander around the EU without a single security check.

but lets not talk about that, eh

#economicMigrants welcome here

The murder roadshow goes on and still mainstream media too scared to call it for what it is.

'No evidence this is Islamist' say Munich police. Definitely the MO of the Methodists