Maya Yoshida

Heisenberg

38 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Not at all romantic. Why would he be here if the powers that be hadn't thought it through and concluded that he might be able to help us.

If he's fit enough and fast enough he'll be good enough for this Division. Premier League it is not.

This is what happens on social media, people read way too much into things. He's not signing for us.

He has returned to a former club with some people he used to work with, this will help him keep fitness. He's probably having a mini holiday back in the UK to see some friends and he's using our facilities whilst he's here. No more than that.

He's not signing for us and no one has thought of it either.

45 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This is what happens on social media, people read way too much into things. He's not signing for us.

He has returned to a former club with some people he used to work with, this will help him keep fitness. He's probably having a mini holiday back in the UK to see some friends and he's using our facilities whilst he's here. No more than that.

He's not signing for us and no one has thought of it either.

Agree, he will probably add to the training sessions whilst we have the likes of THB away

I too don't believe for a moment that he's signing for us. Last season he was a regular starter for Schalke who got relegated after 40 years in the top flight, not a ringing endorsement. Love the guy and would be thrilled if he comes back in a backroom/ambassador capacity but not playing.

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

He’s here, as the club made quite clear on Twitter, because it’s the MLS off season and he’s training to maintain fitness, at a club and city he is familiar with.

Sadly, once you start getting to that age, it is the speed and muscle reflex that start to wane. Beckham said he knew it was time to retire when Messi got the ball and took it past him before his legs could even think about turning around and going after him.

Isn't Lionel Messi 36 or 37, doesn't seem to be past it just yet.

7 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Isn't Lionel Messi 36 or 37, doesn't seem to be past it just yet.

I would agree that, even at the age of 37, the greatest footballer of all time could probably do a job against Blackburn Rovers. Maya Yoshida on the other hand is a different matter.

On 16/11/2023 at 11:48, Dellyears said:

He's the only Saints player to have won 100 international caps

On 16/11/2023 at 12:41, 64saint said:

If we go down that route then Peter Shilton won 125 caps, but most of them came whilst playing for other clubs.  Not sure how many caps Yoshida got whilst playing for Saints.

23 hours ago, JRM said:

Cumulatively yes but I'm not sure Shilton got more of his England caps at any one club rather than Saints. I'm sure someone has the stats but wouldn't surprise me if he had most at Saints ,probably close with Derby and Forest 

I always liked Maya. Came across as very nice man and gave everything on the pitch.

Peter Shilton won more England caps while playing for Saints than any other of his clubs.

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Even if he doesn't play for us again, I'll bet his presence around the training ground will be massively beneficial from his work ethic and keadeshiiop qualities. A tremendous example to the youngsters and somebody they can look up to. Great to see him training with the first team squad

😂😂😂😂

it’s Maya Yoshida mate, not Franco Baresi 

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I’m with Charlie.

Maya is an excellent man by all accounts, with a genuinely laudable character and personality.  He has over 100 caps for Japan, more than 90 while a Saint.  He was in the team of the tournament at one of the World Cups in which he has competed while a Saint.  (He could even be described as the Bobby Moore or Bobby Charlton of Japan: he was the Japan captain for many years and captained them to their best World Cup performance.)  He had well over 100 EPL appearances here.  He is a consummate professional and I believe he was one of the fittest and fastest players of his time at St Mary’s.  A thoroughly admirable role model for any young player, surely.

And one of my favourite Saints players of recent years.

Edited by Tommy Mulgrew
Spelling corrected from wrongly spelt auto-corrected word
  • Like 11

53 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

I saw him (and embarrassingly shook his hand) at the tip in Winchester of all places yesterday. 
Very nice chap, even waved to me as he drove off. Probably muttering something under his breath as he did so. Wife also embarrassed. All in all a successful trip.

We all do it, these people are so well known to us through TV and on the pitch that when we bump into them in real life instinctively we feel we know them personally. No need to be embarrassed, I suspect he was thrilled to be recognised. Most will have had these sort of 'meetings' with personalities.

You should have sorted through his cast offs, could have been some good stuff there especially if he is clearing out his UK base.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We all do it, these people are so well known to us through TV and on the pitch that when we bump into them in real life instinctively we feel we know them personally. No need to be embarrassed, I suspect he was thrilled to be recognised. Most will have had these sort of 'meetings' with personalities.

You should have sorted through his cast offs, could have been some good stuff there especially if he is clearing out his UK base.

I would image the club said to him that they'd be delighted to let him come to Staplewood and do some fitness training. 

In return they likely asked him to do a tip run for them. Favour a favour and all that. 

Apparently there's loads of copies of Ralph's Playbook in the freebie shed if anyone's interested? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Oh no Mick Mills said:

I would image the club said to him that they'd be delighted to let him come to Staplewood and do some fitness training. 

In return they likely asked him to do a tip run for them. Favour a favour and all that. 

Apparently there's loads of copies of Ralph's Playbook in the freebie shed if anyone's interested? 

Those signed photos of Rupert were not huge sellers either so probably lots of those in there as well.