Puel and Saints

washsaint

In this case it doesn't help that he's very boring to listen to, not helped by his (improving) English. But I'm quite sure that had he won more games, he would suddenly become a lot more 'likeable' to many.

It doesn't help that Puel has come into a club where fan expectations are much higher than they've been in many, many years.

Koeman was lucky in that most people had surviving relegation as success when he joined. With Puel people expected europa success and another season finishing best of the rest all with a team arguably weaker than the one Koeman had. It was always going to be tough for him to win people over.

The beautiful football we play at times is down to Puel. Imagine how good on the eye we will be if he is here for 2 or 3 more seasons.

I’m genuinely confused what Puels football style is? If you credit him for the handful of "beautiful" games you also need to blame him for the dozen + horrendous games this season.

He doesn’t seem to have a style like Mopo and Klopp do. Even Mark Hughes and Pulis although unattractive they have a style of play - ours seems to be all over the place. Hence 4 defeats in our last 5 games (conceding 13 goals in process)

All bar a couple of games our general style of play has been pretty consistent. The trouble is our ability to put the ball in the net has been incredibly poor, and a keeper who can't seem to make a save.I much prefer the way we play to Keomans style successful or not.

You win: we'll like you. You don't win: we don't like you. Football logic is very simple, actually. Balance, that's another story.

An interesting theory, completely undermined by the very different opinions of the same results seen on here.

For instance, I think he's very good, and the only reason we're not at least within touching distance of Everton this season is the 1) Europa League and then 2) a pile of injuries to key players.

Other people seem to think 1) has nothing to do with team selection or results, and 2) has nothing to do with 1). God knows why.

I’m genuinely confused what Puels football style is? If you credit him for the handful of "beautiful" games you also need to blame him for the dozen + horrendous games this season.

He doesn’t seem to have a style like Mopo and Klopp do. Even Mark Hughes and Pulis although unattractive they have a style of play - ours seems to be all over the place. Hence 4 defeats in our last 5 games (conceding 13 goals in process)

his style is incisive short and quick passing as well as counter attacking.At present he has not got 'his' team in place. No team plays superbly every game and watching Liverpool last night with one of the 'best in the World' coaches, it shows it is not always easy.

I am firmly behind Puel and as I stated some months ago he may become our best ever manager. This is quite a statement, I could never make the same when RK was in charge, although I quite liked him. Give him some time, the way he showed the world how Southampton play should give him a lot of slack by the dis believers.

Stop chipping away at him and you may well see some exciting times ahead if KL etc are true to their word

It isn't that difficult to explain; our style of play is to an extent determined by the tactics not only that we employ, but also those employed by our opponents. I suspect that many of the beautiful games have been played against the better teams, who like to play a similar style of football to us, with plenty of movement and passing, open attacking play. I would also claim that the dull matches have been those at home against the poorer teams who park the bus and invite us to break them down.

If you are able to categorise a style of play, then firstly it is easier to employ tactics to beat it because it is predictable, and secondly if that style of play is as boring as Stoke and West Brom's then I pity their poor fans who have to watch it at every home match.

Variety is the spice of life. I believe that Puel is a very good tactician, who has often been hampered by injuries and tiredness caused by a very busy fixture list. In the League Cup, Puel's tactics had enough about them to have beaten the teams managed by Wenger, Klopp twice and but for an incompetent linesman, he very nearly beat Mourinho too. Bearing in mind the number of expensive stars playing for their teams, it is suggestive that they have been beaten by our players who may have had a greater desire to succeed, or who played together better as a unit, or who were employed more skilfully by the manager's tactical ability.

I've been a vocal critic but after seeing what we can do with time under him on the training pitch , The seemingly settled 11 and reverting to 4.2.3.1 I'd like to see where we are after another transfer window and a pre season not disturbed by international football!

I've said all along he needed 6-8months to make the side his own. And that he inherited a worse side than both poch and Koeman and with more games.

I still think he'll be good next season but think we might taper off now as we effectively have little to play for.

That said I still think our European campaign was shocking and the one area I'd genuinely criticise him for. Both inter and Prague were there for the taking but we didn't go for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He needed 6 months and a striker that can put the ball in the net, as 6 months went by the only player who could consistently do that had been injured for a couple of months and his best player was injured as well as his former captain and other first choice centre back being sold. Now we have 2 strikers who can put the ball in the net at least 1 out of every 2 chances he can really have no excuses.

When VVD and Austin are back and if Caceres gets match fit we have some squad on our hands.