Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

The Athletic is aware that this member of staff went as far as threatening to quit their role should Carrillo be signed, and had even written a letter of resignation in a final attempt to thwart the transfer. The data gathered on the Argentinian striker suggested this wasn’t going to be a signing that suited Southampton and their style of play, which is why the likes of Walcott and Promes were also targetted. They were deemed to be more in line with the club’s vision.

It's all well and good when the manager has connections like Koeman did, but Pellegrino basically got his mate in and both got paid to leave. Also, I do wonder about the scouting team at this club. When managers are offered alternatives like Walcott (past his prime) or Promes (prison) they have to bear some of the responsibility for where we are now. I think the money spent in the Nathan Jones era surpassed the Pellegrino/Carillo situation by quite a margin.

1 hour ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

It's all well and good when the manager has connections like Koeman did, but Pellegrino basically got his mate in and both got paid to leave. Also, I do wonder about the scouting team at this club. When managers are offered alternatives like Walcott (past his prime) or Promes (prison) they have to bear some of the responsibility for where we are now. I think the money spent in the Nathan Jones era surpassed the Pellegrino/Carillo situation by quite a margin.

Agreed, the scouting has not been up to scratch for many years. I don't think it's unfair to say that they're still firing blanks either. (things have got better, but there are still question marks for me)

Mara, Onuachu, Sulemana, Larios, Stewart, DCC - that's £70 odd million worth of player there up the pisser over the last 18 months.

Our most success this year has been via the players our manager and new DoF knew - Fraser, THB, Charles, Downes, Manning etc.

Our best 'club' signing in recent years has to be Charly for me - I'd like to see more of those finds to show that we're finally moving away from our banter-scouting era. You can't always rely on the manager being the scout, the club scouts have to have to be finding some gems too.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I reckon Monaco have a picture of our £19m cheque in their boardroom, as one of their greatest ever achievements.

Beats a print of a train from Doncaster at least.

Has to be worst signing ever, Onachu has succeeded in Belgium and Turkey at least, this guy had a very modest record before and after. £2m signing a lower Champ side/top half league one makes. Shows how dreadful the club had become by that point. Pellegrino was far worse even than Nathan Jones, ok had the VVD situation to contend with but that squad was still 8-12th calibre if there was a couple of decent signings in the spine of the side made by a manager of more substance (see R Koeman) that put Les back in his box. Not Wesley Hoedt, signed on a free by Lazio, and now at Watford, for an eye watering £17m (that’s not far behind Carrillo tbf).

Storied playing career but looked terrified the whole time and should have been pulled out of the firing line in November 2017 for his own safety. Shame on the boardroom cowards at the time. And cowards also for not blocking this transfer.

Mind you, Theo was in a downwards slope even then and Promes was a bag of trouble. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Beats a print of a train from Doncaster at least.

Has to be worst signing ever, Onachu has succeeded in Belgium and Turkey at least, this guy had a very modest record before and after. £2m signing a lower Champ side/top half league one makes. Shows how dreadful the club had become by that point. Pellegrino was far worse even than Nathan Jones, ok had the VVD situation to contend with but that squad was still 8-12th calibre even with a poor manager. Storied playing career but looked terrified the whole time and should have been pulled out of the firing line in November 2017 for his own safety. Shame on the boardroom cowards at the time. And cowards also for not blocking this transfer.

Mind you, Theo was in a downwards slope even then and Promes was a bag of trouble. 

If I remember right, when we pocketed that VVD money, the media circuits was in full frenzy linking us with lots of exciting names (at the time)

We were going to re-sign Shaw, sign Sessegnon from Fulham, Promes, Theo etc. But we just ended up with Carillo late in the window.

Easily our worst ever transfer window in my opinion, when you put into account what we'd sold VVD for weeks before - and the best we could come up with was Carrillo.

Our last January effort was almost on-par, but like you say at least Onanchu came with some pedigree - I still don't think we ever really gave him much of a chance here, so I don't really know if he's any good or not.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If I remember right, when we pocketed that VVD money, the media circuits was in full frenzy linking us with lots of exciting names (at the time)

We were going to re-sign Shaw, sign Sessegnon from Fulham, Promes, Theo etc. But we just ended up with Carillo late in the window.

Easily our worst ever transfer window in my opinion, when you put into account what we'd sold VVD for weeks before - and the best we could come up with was Carrillo.

Our last January effort was almost on-par, but like you say at least Onanchu came with some pedigree - I still don't think we ever really gave him much of a chance here, so I don't really know if he's any good or not.

Then used a chunk of the VVD on Ely in the summer. £16m wasn’t it? Stu was the only decent signing from the £85m recouped. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gloucester Saint said:

Then used a chunk of the VVD on Ely in the summer. £16m wasn’t it? Stu was the only decent signing from the £85m recouped. 

Don't forget Vestergaard as well, he came out of that VVD fortune.

• Sad 1

On 25/01/2024 at 19:24, S-Clarke said:

Agreed, the scouting has not been up to scratch for many years. I don't think it's unfair to say that they're still firing blanks either. (things have got better, but there are still question marks for me)

Mara, Onuachu, Sulemana, Larios, Stewart, DCC - that's £70 odd million worth of player there up the pisser over the last 18 months.

Our most success this year has been via the players our manager and new DoF knew - Fraser, THB, Charles, Downes, Manning etc.

Our best 'club' signing in recent years has to be Charly for me - I'd like to see more of those finds to show that we're finally moving away from our banter-scouting era. You can't always rely on the manager being the scout, the club scouts have to have to be finding some gems too.

Of course, it would be easy to blame the scouting staff, but this was a situation where the choice of manager wasn't the best timing either.

I'm sure that some in the scouting group, and most of the fans joined in asking ......WHO ? ..and FOR HOW MUCH ?. 

Clearly there weren't a lot of  "ex-managers at the Job Centre " that month, and in an attempt to pacify the new manager, the club allowed him to buy  

" a former player of his choice " ...which seems to be normal practice in such situations.  Unfortunately, it was a bad choice from Day 1.

Sadly, many people seem to ignore history, as when after brutally sacking Nigel Adkins..... Nicola Cortese appointed Pochettino and then allowed him to 

buy Dani Osvaldo....(a ticking bomb with a short timer).  Although we may remember his great goal v. Man City(?), the subsequent training ground punch-up 

left Jose Fonte with a black eye, and the playing staff with a bad taste in their mouths.  That disaster cost the club a considerable amount in fee + salary.

Other histories; Claude Puel bought Boufal who scored 2 or 3 great goals, but consistently ignored his team mates when he didn't have the ball. 

The outfall after Ralph Hasenhuttl's dismissal gave us;  Orsic, Onuacho and Sulemana .     The jury is still out on the latter two. 

some later signings were less painful.. .Nathan Jones got us James Bree, (OK) ...and Russell Martin wanted Ryan Manning ...... on a free transfer. 

• Like 1

On 25/01/2024 at 19:42, S-Clarke said:

You do remember rightly, loads of links, loads of quality players then we ended up with Carillo with a message that he a great signing and a really hard deal to get across the line. Probably because Monaco assumed our bid was a wind up.

On 25/01/2024 at 18:27, Dark Munster said:

Pound for pound surely our worst signing ever. 

You could make a case for the worst signing in the premier league ever in the circumstances. A record signing for us, a desperate situation and he contributed nothing then we had to pay him to leave.  The goal ever other game record nonsense some on here spouted  to convince themselves this wasn’t a truly crap signing was quite brilliant.  

On 25/01/2024 at 06:05, Chez said:

seeing an old thread like this pop up is similar to seeing a famous old person's name trending on twitter. Your first thought is `have they died?'. Gad that is not the case.

I see he has scored a grand total of 19 goals in 127 games since he left us. 

How many of those 127 games were starts though, eh? More important to count goals per minute. 19 goals in 127 minutes of football would paint a very different picture...

On 25/01/2024 at 19:42, S-Clarke said:

Think we've learned our lesson and now given up on the January window. That Carillo year was the worst and a case in point in how quick you can piss away a windfall, though I agree, last year's desperation signings weren't far behind. We are in a completely different situation this year but there seems to be a considered measure about what we're doing to add to the first team.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo

The Carrillo situation was a symptom of a deeper problem, which was that the board weren't facing up the fact that Pellegrino was out of his depth. They didn't want to own their bad manager choice so they threw money into backing him.

In the same way that Carrilllo didn't have the data to justify his signing, neither did Pellegrino have the managerial record to justify his appointment. Board level decision making had gone completely awry

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

How many of those 127 games were starts though, eh? More important to count goals per minute. 19 goals in 127 minutes of football would paint a very different picture...

Can't find goals per minute, but can tell you how many minutes between goals. I've not idea what would be considered decent.

2018/19 335 minutes per goal

2019/20 377 minutes per goal

2020/21 363 minutes per goal

2021/22 370 minute per goal

2022/23 210 minutes per goal (thanks to 6 cup goals. It was 775 minutes per goal in the league)

10 hours ago, Chez said:

Can't find goals per minute, but can tell you how many minutes between goals. I've not idea what would be considered decent.

2018/19 335 minutes per goal

2019/20 377 minutes per goal

2020/21 363 minutes per goal

2021/22 370 minute per goal

2022/23 210 minutes per goal (thanks to 6 cup goals. It was 775 minutes per goal in the league)

(I was kidding, he's shit. The minutes per goal thing was the justification for some as to why he was a hidden gem at Monaco)